• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

This mega guide will cover all the mechs in the game, as well as important game play mechanics and skills new players will want to master. Practically, I'm going to give you 400+ hours of Hawken experience all in one guide. Please note that this is a work in progress and I'm still creating the content for you guys. And also, the videos in this guide were made before I had a new microphone, so sorry that the audio quality isn't the best.

INTRO

LEASE NOTE: This guide is a work in progress and is not currently finished. Also, the content may change depending on what happens and what people request as I endeavor to complete this monster of a task for you guys. I will update it as often as I am able to. So don't post comments saying that it's not done. I just said it right here. However, feel free to "urge" me in completing this guide.

So I take it you're new and you want to learn how to Hawken? Well, you guys are in luck; I'm here to teach you. Now, if the fact that I have over 300 hours of game time on Hawken, I got max rank on all 16 mechs (the G2 Assault is "special" so I don't count it) and that my MMR is at about 2000 (match making rank; Hawken's equivalent of a skill rating and most of the community's top players are at least in the 2000's) doesn't convince you that I'm not a total idiot when it comes to Hawken, I don't know what will.

Now, with that bragging out of the way, let's talk about what I'm going to talk about (redundancy ftw). The intro of the guide will talk about all the basics of Hawken and mastering Fred the TV mech (the CR-T Recruit). Make no mistake, Fred is the most reliable mech in the game so I highly recommend you learn to use him well so you'll always have something to go to when you're in a pinch. But more about that in the actual guide.

After the intro, I'll take you through all of the other mechs in Hawken. Each will have its own section talking about combat basics with the mech as well as the alternate weapons and play styles of the mech in question. I will lightly touch on items and internals for each mech, mostly because if you are new and reading this guide, you don't want to fall into a habit of using items or internals as a crutch. I highly recommend you first learn a mech without the use of items and internals. Items and internals should be used to enhance good play habits not make up for bad ones. I will go over items and internals in the guide after I have covered the mechs because they are still important to learn for Hawken.

After all the mechs are covered, I'll cover items, internals, and how to use them best on your mechs.

After that, I'll have a more advanced guide talking about the game modes, maps, general tactics, strategies, advanced mech maneuvers and even how to play with your opponent's mind.

Also, the majority of this guide will be in videos that I post the links to. Most of the material that I'll be presenting is better covered with a more visual representation.

Now I am not a Hawken god and I don't know everything. If there's any information that I missed or you're a veteran player looking to make sure I haven't messed something up in the guide, just let me know. I'm always happy to add more helpful information to this guide, and if you have video footage, just post a link.

Also, if you like what you see, or you think I can do something better, just let me know.

Enough formalities. Onward to the walking instruments of death!

===Piloting Fundamentals=== 

This section will contain information that is less mech specific, but vital to know if you want to improve your piloting ability. Things such as tactics, mech manuevers and general piloting techniques will be showcased in this section. The most basic information will be posted near the top, and the more advanced topics will be further down this section.

The Basics
The first Video is here. I filmed the gameplay in the Offline TDM and Co-op TDM modes so I could focus more on showing proper piloting technique and doing the tutorial. Also, sorry about my mic. It's not a gaming headset and it's not very good, so sorry if I don't sound too great. Anywho, here's the video!

PS: I re-uploaded this video because in the first one my voice was too difficult to hear. The new verision is still the same, just the audio levels have been adjusted so you can hear me better.

Team Work Basics
Hey pilots! I know it's been a long time coming, and school and my Sandvich making job have been keeping me busy but I have finally released a new video! I've had this video labeled COMING SOON for far too long on my guide back in the forums but now it's finally here! Anywho, this guide is to help new pilots start thinking about how to act in the betterment of their team and keep other team members alive. Hope you guys enjoy it and find it helpful!

Mech Maneuvers 
Part one of my Mech Maneuvers guide. Learning to dodge before you try to fly is ever so important on the battlefields of Hawken. In this video, I'll be going over all the fancy moves a mech can make inside of Hawken. I'll tell you how to do each one and tell you what it is used for.

Dueling
Learn to dance with the best of the pilots with my newest tutorial! Hope you guys find it helpful and stay tuned for part 2! Also, sorry that the game clips don't have audio...

===The Mechs=== 
The section that you've all probably come here to view! This section will contain guides for all the mechs in the game (given that I've released the video). The videos will cover the basic techniques for piloting the mechs as well as all the weapons available for each mech. I'll even put in a few personal tips and tricks in the videos as well. I've ordered the guides by the difficulty of piloting the mechs. I'll include a difficulty rating (1-5, 5 being the most difficult). Just be aware that this scale is based off of my personal experience and the opinions of other pilots, not the developers. Also, my videos tend to build on top of each other, so I recomend watching them in order and all of them if you have the time. The more you know, the better, after all. Anywho, hope these guides help you!

PS: I filmed all the footage in the Co-op TDM mode so I could focus on doing the tutorials rather than try to compete with other pilots. These videos weren't meant to show off my skill, they're here to help you guys! ^_^

The Assault 
Difficulty: 1

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the assault mech, with some personal tips from me! This simple, yet effective mech is a good choice for any situation and boasts few weaknesses! The weapons coolant ability the mech possesses gives it the potential to constantly shoot for twice as long as any other mech!

The G2 Assault 
Difficulty: 1

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the G2 Assault mech, with some personal tips from me! This remake of the good-ol' assault mech boasts twin vulcans that will tear through anything in it's path! It's Weapons Coolant ability lets it continue the storm of bullets for twice as long!

The Berserker
Difficulty: 2

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the Berserker mech, with some personal tips from me! This light mech strikes terror into the hearts of its enemies with it's high mobility on both the ground and the air and heavy sustained firepower! It's balistic barrage ability gives this deadly assassin the ability to do enormous amounts of damage to unsuspecting enemies!

The Vanguard 

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the vanguard mech, with some personal tips from me! This armored beast is often seen spear-heading an attack and assaulting its enemies' position, getting up close and personal with its heavy armor and weaponry! The mobile turret ability makes this heavy mech even heavier and can allow it to shrug off incoming fire from the front!

The Bruiser

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the bruiser mech, with some personal tips from me! This mid-range monster is often seen keeping enemies in their holes with its suppressive fire and Hellfire rockets! It's damage absorb ability can allow it to take a massive beating and still keep ticking!

The Reaper 

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the reaper mech, with some personal tips from me! This swift marksman is seen picking at targets from mid-range and often flanking to destroy an enemy defensive line from the sides! It's ability precision overdrive allows it to fire without missing a single shot!

The Incinerator
Difficulty: 3

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the incinerator mech, with some personal tips from me! This infernal mech roams the battlefield, endlessly spitting fire and metal at all that would oppose it! Its Heat Dispersion ability draws it's power from within the machine's infernal engines and scorches everything surrounding it!

The Technician

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the technician mech, with some personal tips from me! This Angel (or demon) of the battlefield quickly zips around the battlegrounds to reach its allies, to give them supporting fire and repair their mechs in the midst of a fight! It's amplification ability greatly increases the output of it's helix repair torch!

The Brawler

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the brawler mech, with some personal tips from me! This hulking, metal beast will reduce anything foolish enough to enter it's lair, into a burning pile of scrap metal! It's Fortified Turret mode lets it slowly rebuild it's armor while waiting for more fools to step foot into the place it guards!

Input from OmegaNull: The Brawler is by far one of the toughest, and I daresay, the best C-class around. Do not let its slow, hulking mass fool you. In the right hands, it turns into a beast that will make even the devil think twice. Its primary armaments are the Flak Cannon and TOW Launcher. Both of these are on the Scout, but here, they make things interesting. With its massive armor pool and rather quick turn speed, this brute will hold its own in 1v1 battle just fine, let alone along side a team. The key is to keep your enemies in front of you and STAY OUT OF TURRET MODE!!!! The only time you should be in turret mode is when you have your team behind you and you are holding a point (and got orbs/tech) or you are alone and need to heal really fast. Get 2 health orbs, a Advanced Repair Kit and Extractor, plus turret mode, you got some mighty fast healing going on.

Additionally, be smart at when and where you move. Nothing is more punished than a C-class, especially the Brawler. Since it cannot move too well, you might as well not even bother for backup if you get stuck alone against the enemy team. Stick with your team, use cover (yes, use cover), and land your shots. Make sure to keep your enemies in front of you at all times and you got yourself a hell of fun time. Also, when dodging and moving with a Brawler, you must think of why. Don't move just to move. There is plenty of health there to absorb and tank a lot of incoming fire. Just dodge and boost out of the way of secondaries and keep an eye on things around you. If you know the situation is going to get bad or you do not have a favorable position, fall back.

One final thing. The Brawler is probably the best point defense mech in the entire game! There have been plenty of times I have single-handedly held silos or an AA with very little backup from my team for damn near an entire match. A giant he may be, but it is not his size that scares those around him. It is his anger and STRENGTH to make the earth tremble beneath his feet!

The Sharpshooter 

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the sharpshooter mech, with some personal tips from me! Providing ranged fire support, this mech will often perch itself up high to rain lead into enemy mechs from affar! With it's devastating Power Shot ability, it can severly cripple any mech from a distance with a single, pin-pointed shot!

The Grenadier 

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the grenadier mech, with some personal tips from me! This metal beast is often found hurling mass amounts of explosives at its enemies, denying them any chance of advancing! It's Artillery Shot ability gives this walking artillery piece even more explosive firepower for a period of time!

The Rocketeer

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the rocketeer mech, with some personal tips from me! This walking AA gun keeps all of its enemies hiding in their holes, lest they be subject to the barrage of seeker missiles it carries! The Targeting Turret mode of the rocketeer provides heavy frontal armor and better tracking for its deadly missiles!

The Infiltrator 
Difficulty: 4

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the infiltrator mech, with some personal tips from me! This mech sneaks around the battlefield, looking for weaknesses in its enemies defenses and then striking when they least expect it! At the cost of fuel, it's camoflauge ability gives it near invisibility to the eye and renders it undetectable by enemy radars until it strikes with leathal force!

The Raider

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the infiltrator mech, with some personal tips from me! This mech excells at close quarters combat and is often seen ambushing enemy patrols from their flanks! It's blitz ability allows it to charge into battle (or out of battle) with extreme speed, even allowing the mech to fire its weapons while boosting forward!

A Quick Note From Hobbes: The raider is one of the most difficult mechs in the game to use because of how unforgiving it is of missing shots or getting caught off guard. If you aren't controlling the fight in your Raider, the chances of you coming out victorious are very slim. Stay vigilant, stay aware and stay hidden until you have a good chance to close on an enemy and strike them hard! Missing your shots, getting caught off guard and overheating are SEVERELY punished within this mech. NEW PILOTS BEWARE!!! This mech takes a long time to get used to, so if you have the patience to learn this mech, your toiling will be rewarded with the sheer joy of taking enemies out before they even know what hit them. Hit and run; that is the name of the Raider game.

The Scout

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the scout mech, with some personal tips from me! This light mech zips around the battlefield, poking the enemy flanks and providing quick support to its teammates! Its fuel reserves ability allows it to boost at it's top speed for twice as long by quickly refilling its fuel tank!

Input from OmegaNull (aka: The Shield King and the guy who taught me to play Scout):
The scout is a fierce mech that many people either underestimate or they fear. Its speed and striking ability allow it to dive in, take out the weak, and scoot away. Where its prowess comes into play is when an enemy is alone and on the flanks. In a one-on-one fight, the scout is a mech to be loved and feared for its ability to quickly juke in and out of cover, hit hard, and out-maneuver the enemy. Do not be fooled, however, despite all of its strengths, it has vast weaknesses. Its second lowest health pool and small fuel tank (even with Fuel Reserves) can make it a deathtrap. Few mechs are more punished than a scout when caught in the open or mistakes are made. Most do not survive. When playing a scout, situational awareness is key. It's radar is the largest in the game. Be strong, be brave, and be swift.

Note on Weapons:
Flak Cannon – When using the Flak Cannon, get in close and land your shots. The lack of charge time and ease of use allow for great movement potential.

Heat Cannon – Best used at medium range, however, it has been proven to be strong at close range as well. It's Area of Affect makes it a very strong weapon to use. Aim for the feet. Charge shots are not always necessary.

The Predator
Difficulty: 5

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the predator mech, with some personal tips from me! This sneaky mech stalks the battlefield, laying traps to ambush its prey with deadly and brutal force! Its stalker ability makes this mech live up to its namesake; rendering it (mostly) invisible for as long as it remains undamaged and giving it thermal vision to track its targets through walls and obstacles!

Note From Hobbes: This mech is extremely complex and hard to use. BEGINNERS BEWARE!!!! This is not a mech for someone who recently started Hawken. In fact, the Predator is so complex that I know for a fact that one video will not cover all the details of it. The video is essentially a VERY basic overview of the mech and it's weapons. I will probably have to do a few more follow up videos on the Predator to fully cover it, but in the mean time, some fellow pilots of mine have written a very in-depth guide about the Predator mech. I highly suggest reading this guide if you wish to pilot the Predator.

The G2 Raider
Difficulty: 5

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the G2 raider mech, with some personal tips from me! As the raider's fat, little brother, this heavy mech tromps around the battlefield, ready to punch straight through an enemy defensive line either from the front or the flanks with its deadly, close-quarters weapons! It's G2 blitz ability gives this normally slow mech, a tremendous boost in walking speed at the cost of fuel, allowing it to charge like a rhino at its enemies!

===Game Modes=== 
This portion of my guide will focus on introducing new players to the various game modes of Hawken as well as discuss various tactics and strategies that can be used within the game modes. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Siege Mode
This video will contain basic info that will help you new guys get aquainted with the objectives, mechanics and basic strategies of siege mode! Essentially, it'll help you get your feet a little wet so you don't have to go into a Siege game not knowing up from down! Hope you guys enjoy, and if you want more on Siege, feel free to let me know!

A Note From Hobbes: The map in the video is indeed Siege: Bunker which is not available on any of the regular playlists. The reason I was able to play on this map was that one of the developers, [HWK] Ben, had shown up on the server I was playing on and offered to let us play a round of Siege: Bunker. Just in case you were wondering how I was able to play that map, now you know.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, 17 April 2015 - 04:16 PM.

• Dawn_of_Ash, MajyckToad, Jelooboi and 2 others like this

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

A Note From Hobbes: The map in the video is indeed Siege: Bunker which is not available on any of the regular playlists. The reason I was able to play on this map was that one of the developers, [HWK] Ben, had shown up on the server I was playing on and offered to let us play a round of Siege: Bunker. Just in case you were wondering how I was able to play that map, now you

you need to do some (sober) editing, bro.

Good Bump, tho!

Rock On!

• SoldierHobbes11 likes this

BkeETgs.jpg

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

add-squirrel-o.gifSQUIRREL!!!       My A.D.D. kicked in sorry . Great post though! :turned:

Edited by hoghead, 17 April 2015 - 04:46 PM.

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

HEYO!

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

omg time to post something to get more post counts 

• Meraple likes this

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

omg time to post something to get more post counts 

You sly monster.

Nice guide hobbes! :D

• SoldierHobbes11 likes this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Now ... I need to learn to aim... T.T lol XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

SDIR

SDIR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Will you be posting any videos on how to use items in battle, such as shields or radar scramblers effectively?

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Will you be posting any videos on how to use items in battle, such as shields or radar scramblers effectively?

Omega has a good shield guide.

Lots of the other items are pretty straight forward:

• EMP: use it to start a fight, or stop one that's going sour. Can alternatively be used to zone players and shut down Incinerators.
  • Repair charge: drop it in a retreat location before a fight so you and your team can swipe it to get some health back, or use it while out of combat to repair more quickly and reengage rapidly.
  • Scrambler: Drop it out of sight near an objective.
  • R/MG turrets: Placement is tricky because they are so easy to kill. Better used as early warning devices than for their damage, but if you do want to get any damage out of them you will need to place them somewhere tricky so that they get ignored.
  • ISM disrupter: See EMP. ISM is generally considered weaker than EMP.
  • Heat charge: Use it for zone control and for irritating brawlers.
  • Blockade: Highly map dependent. Can be used to block off narrow corridors on maps like wreckage and origin. Alternatively, throw it behind and enemy as a fight starts to box them in a prevent them from evading you. This is one of the more difficult items to get right.
  • HE charge/ Detonator: Supplementary burst damage. Often used as a complement for ambush plays.
  • Scanner: If you have no self respect and are shameless about your lack of situational awareness a scanner can be used to show everyone in the server that you're a fuzzy bunny.

Did I miss anything? Note that for barriers, shields, and repair charges you can hold down the item key to throw them farther.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Omega has a good shield guide.

Lots of the other items are pretty straight forward:

• EMP: use it to start a fight, or stop one that's going sour. Can alternatively be used to zone players and shut down Incinerators.
  • Repair charge: drop it in a retreat location before a fight so you and your team can swipe it to get some health back, or use it while out of combat to repair more quickly and reengage rapidly.
  • Scrambler: Drop it out of sight near an objective.
  • R/MG turrets: Placement is tricky because they are so easy to kill. Better used as early warning devices than for their damage, but if you do want to get any damage out of them you will need to place them somewhere tricky so that they get ignored.
  • ISM disrupter: See EMP. ISM is generally considered weaker than EMP.
  • Heat charge: Use it for zone control and for irritating brawlers.
  • Blockade: Highly map dependent. Can be used to block off narrow corridors on maps like wreckage and origin. Alternatively, throw it behind and enemy as a fight starts to box them in a prevent them from evading you. This is one of the more difficult items to get right.
  • HE charge/ Detonator: Supplementary burst damage. Often used as a complement for ambush plays.
  • Scanner: If you have no self respect and are shameless about your lack of situational awareness a scanner can be used to show everyone in the server that you're a fuzzy bunny.

Did I miss anything? Note that for barriers, shields, and repair charges you can hold down the item key to throw them farther.

emp is used for teammates who were talking trash on the previous round in a pub 

ism disruptor is like a pocketful of glitter/confetti and is strictly for the lulz

heat charge is for decoration

that is exactly what the scanner is for

barriers----->see emps

Edited by Crafty, 02 July 2015 - 11:31 AM.

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Tutorial, Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users