- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well i picked this baby up.. and it feels like im about to drop it at any moment. I have two other mechs Reaper and Vanguard, both i can do well on fairly easily. Bruiser takes all my effort just not to snow ball into a losing spree. Its not that i do awful at it but it takes so much effort to play at an OK level. One thing i feel is an issue is the vulcan it comes with, once i get the HC ill be able to swap it out. 

So now the reason i made the thread is i need some guidance on this mech, i know all the things like arcing the missiles etc.. But it comes down to how can i win the game with it? I find reaper and vanguard have such an impact in the game while if my team cant do anything the bruiser becomes nothing more than food for the fast burst mechs.     

(P:B)Augmentia

(P:B)Augmentia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Bruiser is an acquired taste that you really have to keep playing to be any good at. It is akin to the scout in my opinion. It is very easy to run around shooting stuff and dying easily, but once you get the hang of it you can really bring the hurt and hold your own.

I am MM
brKc5dA.jpg

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Ask Opicron. He should be able to help.

• opicr0n likes this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

But it comes down to how can i win the game with it?

Honestly? You can't.

It's pretty bad. Hellfires suck, it's ability is so situational it's laughable and its weapons are... well, they're ok, I guess. But even as a Hellfire mech, it is strictly worse than a Rocketeer.

All else being equal, you are never going to top-score in a Bruiser. You can still pull off some support situations though. You are fairly maneouverable in the air, so use that to harass with Hellfires. Your ability, if you learn to use it properly can severely reduce the damage of a tow. Use it to intercept TOWs meant for your teammates and facecheck hungry, overconfident Assaults.

Weapon-wise, the assault rifle is the best weapon for it, giving you acceptable damage at range. Now that I'm better at facechecking and timing I might take this phenomenal POS into CQC range with the vulcan and see how face-checking goes, but its pretty crap on this mech otherwise. It just does not gel with the Hellfires. Anyone who tells you Blindfires are good is wrong or lying to you. SMC is alright and probably the better gun overall, but on this mech the AR is better.

• EM1O likes this

Loglino

Loglino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I could always do okay with the bruiser. I am usually around 3rd on scoreboard, but I have like 5-3-15 as my score. I am generally aggressive but because of low hellfire damage, my score is mostly assists. In summary, I am helpful even with a slightly weaker mech because I know how to play it.

Edited by Loglino, 19 April 2015 - 11:32 AM.

Mind the fact that pizza is my avatar.
Pizza is cool and you know it.

<3 HAWKEN

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

All else being equal, you are never going to top-score in a Bruiser.

Challenge accepted.

• crockrocket, Silverfire, Amidatelion and 3 others like this

oSpBaPA.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Challenge accepted.

All else being equal.

• ThirdEyE likes this

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Bruiser is actually my favorite mech!

Don't try to rambo with it--it's a team player. if you're looking for a mech that takes up all the kills and is the MVP/high threat mumbo jumbo, best you pick a different mech. Bruiser is kind of a jack of all trades master of non-mech--it's meant to back up other mechs in their roles, whether it's suppressing fire with the hellfires, up close damage dealing with the vulcan, mid range skirmishing with assault rifle, and generally drawing aggro with it's ability. It's incredibly difficult to survive alone, and it works best in a group--more so than other mechs.

The trickiest parts about the mech are likely the hellfires and the ability.

With the hellfires, half the time you won't even fire it--it's good for keeping targets suppressed without actually shooting. Lock onto someone and if they duck back into cover, you did your job. If they don't, well, lay it on them. Win-win situation.

Up close it's a poor man's rocket shotgun, but if you time it right it's added damage. More often than not though, stick to just using your primary in a close quarter situation--if you can't use the hellfires effectively in CQC it's just wasting heat.

The ability you use not as a rambo mode but more as a counter. If you're good with it, you can use it to block when an enemy is alpha striking you or if there's a secondary attack you can't dodge. Being able to mitigate high damage attacks like that could given you that extra health you need to come out on top in a fight. You can also activate it when you're trying to retreat, and it works the same way. The best part is that it recharges relatively quickly, so you can use it quite often comapred to most other mechs.

In sum, stick with a buddy and try to complement them. No matter what they are, if you know how to use your bruiser you will complement them well. Give it a bit of practice, and you might find he's a pretty chill guy.

• EM1O, Rajitha and Nov8tr like this

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I really feel like the Bruiser needs a longer range hitscan weapon. In fact, give it the AM-SAR. At least then I'd actually have a reason to use that weapon.

• Bergwein likes this

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I really feel like the Bruiser needs a longer range hitscan weapon. In fact, give it the AM-SAR. At least then I'd actually have a reason to use that weapon.

Dawg if they replaced the SMC with that or maybe like a Hawkins, I would be so down!

But the assault rifle works best if you wish to use it at a distance at the moment.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

SA Hawkins Bruiser. It's a match made in heaven.  Just replace the AR or the SMC with it.

• ROSING and Nov8tr like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I just played a match today with my Bruiser and realised it was really good once you play it more as a midrange harassing mech. I got only a few kills, but a ton of assists and didn't die once, for a more supportive role I was very happy with my final score. Flanked the enemy team from a relatively safe distance, getting their attention and them thinking I was easy prey allowed the rest of my team to go in and break them up. This mech is wonderful if you have a competent team. Unfortunately it's not that common of an occurence in Hawken and since it's efficiency heavily relies on your teammates, it gives off the impression as a weak or useless mech.

Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

The ability is pretty useful, with good timing you can shrug off a tow rocket or make another hellfire volley useless against you.

This mech is not for close range, trying to do so will only bring you misery. Get the SMC and never look back, the Vulcan has no use on this thing at all, and the AR is only slightly better than the Vulcan.

Also, curve those rockets! Curving makes the spread tighter. Also, don't forget that its basically a giant rocket shotgun when in a pinch.

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yeah, so far i've had my fare share of hard ache with this mech.Some games i have amazing impact, others i can barely get going. Even while doing massive amounts of harass damage 2-3k above my received damage, most teams don't know how to use the gains you've created. I do feel the mech would be really good in a team setting rather than pub. I got the AR just before i logged off, yet to use it have high hopes!

side note:

I read Hobbes guide before getting this mech.. it is not a difficulty level of 2.. that needs to be fixed.

FateLovely

FateLovely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Bruiser has good support damage like said above

Alone or without coordinated play bruiser needs to maintain range control. Meaning that you need to maintain a safe distance from your enemy. Things that get to close to you well (should) maul you. However keeping people at mid distance and holding steady aim with the gatty and fire well timed hells results in a very deadly bruiser.

• EM1O likes this

~Air Rivals-Hawken-Anime-Music~

~Ingame names- FullmetalBtch- KallenKozuki-Fate lovely~

~Youtube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/FateLovely ~

https://www.youtube....Pr1nZD4S-X8wlRt - Hawken vids!

~Air Rivals page- http://board.en.airr...6-✡-Ñ•appнιre-✡/ ~

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Bruiser is a hoot for fun play. Not so much so, to build your MMR.

yup. support style, you're not an upfront battlewave hero with this mech. i prefer AR as primary, as it has the punch for close, and can snipe from afar.

to be survivable in a CQC situation, you MUST stay with your team. mad, panic-mode getting your butt out of it can be aided by developing a keen timing for using hellfires as a dumb-fire MIRV. if not, and you have the unfortunate tendency to get into CQC situations have the Vulcan and plenty of heat range available, you're gonna need it. Evasion Internal plus a Mk2 EMP for zapping the whole crowd so you can make your escape isn't a bad idea either.

TL/DR: get a Raider

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

All else being equal.

That's really the kicker though, everything won't ever be totally equal. I completely believe you can do well in any mech, even if it is objectively inferior. 

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

That's really the kicker though, everything won't ever be totally equal. I completely believe you can do well in any mech, even if it is objectively inferior. 

Yes, but OP didn't specify "do well." He said "win the game," which, in lieu of playing the Bruiser in DM (rofl gfl), means top-scoring your team.

I eagerly await the outcome of ThirdEye's attempts in a ~2450 server.

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Yes, but OP didn't specify "do well." He said "win the game," which, in lieu of playing the Bruiser in DM (rofl gfl), means top-scoring your team.

I eagerly await the outcome of ThirdEye's attempts in a ~2450 server.

The next time I see a server rated that high, I'll stop whatever I'm doing just to log in, join the game, and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oSpBaPA.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

The next time I see a server rated that high, I'll stop whatever I'm doing just to log in, join the game, and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So.... Wednesday, then.

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

So.... Wednesday, then.

I have class until 11est wednedsays... I'm sad you haven't noticed my absence the past 3 weeks T_T

oSpBaPA.png

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, i came back to this thread in case anyone else was having a hard time. IT GETS BETTER!

I got the AR and Air compressor, this thing is great. Yes, yes never expect it to rofl stomp everything. I value it in my garage for one major thing, pest control.. got a problem with flying around light mechs, Bruiser provides the solution. Anti light-mech in a can, spray on the affected area for instant relief. 

I play other mechs to build my MMR and this for fun and kill all the flies buzzing around.

• Nov8tr likes this

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I bring out my bruiser when my team is getting bum rushed. I use it to suppress the other team. It works. Ask the people I've killed with it. Would I use it in a high MMR match? No, I'm old not stupid. But I do know how to use it and before they nerfed hell out of it, yes I use to win matches a lot. I could throw those baby's over the wall and around the corner. I could rain death and destruction on your ass. Don't think I could do that now, but I can still make you have a bad day in one. And yes I would like to see some Dev love for em please. :D

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Ok, i came back to this thread in case anyone else was having a hard time. IT GETS BETTER!

I got the AR and Air compressor, this thing is great. Yes, yes never expect it to rofl stomp everything. I value it in my garage for one major thing, pest control.. got a problem with flying around light mechs, Bruiser provides the solution. Anti light-mech in a can, spray on the affected area for instant relief. 

I play other mechs to build my MMR and this for fun and kill all the flies buzzing around.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

So.... Wednesday, then.

Not truly top-score but close enough.  Didn't check srd but I assume it was pretty high.

O42w772.jpg

oSpBaPA.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Not truly top-score but close enough.  Didn't check srd but I assume it was pretty high.

O42w772.jpg

Third is third.

• ThirdEyE and Nov8tr like this

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Third is third.

Oh I agree with that. No way in hell I'd go Bruiser to bruiser with him. LOL I like my ass right where it is. :D

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I use a bruiser and I like it a lot. I use it more than my Assault.

I use it as support, and as a harasser. Not great at direct confrontations but it *is*, in my situations, better against mobile A-classes than most other mechs.

Granted, I'm fuzzy bunny ranked but the Hellfires are more useful than not, even if they don't hit.

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Lot's of good advice and points above. Some people love it, some think it's useless. Definitely a team mech. Bruiser was my first mech after CRT and I instantly fell in love. Nowadays I try to play more diversely, but my way of rage quitting is sitting in my bruiser and kick some fuzzy bunny(not always succesfully tho :ermm: ).

Bruisers ability is indeed very fast to reload so it's almost spam. Learn to use it to your advantage. You know hellfires, but sometimes I find it effective to curve them upwards rather than sideways, because they are easy dodge sideways but from above they are still going to hit they ground (provided that you are close enough) and deal some damage.

It's a very good flanking/harrasing mech. My kdr with it tends to be a tad over 1, but usually I have over 10 assists in TDM. May the beeb beeb beeb be with your enemies.

• Rajitha likes this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users