Photo

Change to Overheating System (heating for individual weapons)

- - - - - Weapons Overheating So

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TronX33

TronX33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

So, in my raider, I have been screwed over many times because I overheated due to my admittedly poor aim. However, knowing this, I use my secondary sparingly. I would like a individual heating system, i.e., overheat the ReFlak, but I can still finish them off with a Corsair shot. Then, if you overheat both weapons, as the system needs to dissipate more heat, it could take longer. Waht are your thoughts?

Edited by TronX33, 20 April 2015 - 07:56 PM.

• Jelooboi likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

raider

I overheated due to my admittedly poor aim.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, and I admit the Raider overheats a bit too easily, but optimally you shouldn't be rapid firing the thing. Raider's not very well equipped to go toe to toe against most other mechs.

As for your idea, it has been discussed here recently and the general answer had been "no" from what I've seen.

• -Tj- likes this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
You admitted yourself, you are the problem. Instead of altering the game to match and help out a poor in game decision (allowing yourself to overheat), change the way you play so that you don't have that issue (aka aim better and manage your heat).
  • HorseHeadProphet likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

TronX33

TronX33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

You admitted yourself, you are the problem. Instead of altering the game to match and help out a poor in game decision (allowing yourself to overheat), change the way you play so that you don't have that issue (aka aim better and manage your heat).

Well, see, I do try and manage heat (by not using the Corsair when it is highly likely I will miss) It's just that sometimes I fire the secondary just once in a firefight, but I overheat due to the primary, then I die. Also, in 90% of times I die due to this is against A classes (*cough *cough Scout *cough *cough), and I believe that this is a better alternative to the frequent suggestions of "nerf the A-Classes" I understand your logic of not changing the game because I can't hit fast targets targets well with the ReFlak, but are there any game breaking negatives to this change?

Edited by TronX33, 20 April 2015 - 08:31 PM.

Trigary

Trigary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

This has been discussed, I don't see the point of writing everything down here again.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
It just adds a complex and unnecessary mechanic to the game. Sustained weapons become much more powerful, almost too powerful. Resource management for heat would just be annoying personally.

As for your overheating problem, practice practice practice. Don't spam the Reflak, use it in controlled bursts. Make sure you don't waste either the Corsair KLA grenade shot or the MIRV mode. The rest of the engagement is knowledge of proper movement skills. A raider should, theoretically, match a Scout blow for blow with burst and win. Observe enemies and how they maneuver, try to imitate better movement skills to improve.

I love Raider.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Raider's aren't good in duels. Firefights can happen in Raiders, but you shouldn't actively try to get into them if you can help it.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Raider's aren't good in duels. Firefights can happen in Raiders, but you shouldn't actively try to get into them if you can help it.

Yo Raider so powerful in duels. Never played fightclub, huh?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Yo Raider so powerful in duels. Never played fightclub, huh?

I don't want to talk about it.

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
There are multiple topics about scout being OP (which it isn't) and asking for multiple coolant systems (would add nothing to the game except unnecessary "complexity")
  • Merl61 likes this

ToriStark

ToriStark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Separate heating is intuitive... It's just illogical that closed launcher getting red hot from fire of other weapon.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Separate heating is intuitive... It's just illogical that closed launcher getting red hot from fire of other weapon.

you're correct in saying separate heating makes more logical sense but from a game mechanics perspective it would really just add unnecessary complexity to a system which already requires you to manage several things during a firefight (heat, fuel, positioning, personal/enemy weapon/dodge cool downs)

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Not if they're on the same coolant loop. If the weapons are cooled by, say, heat pipes to a common sink universal heat is totally reasonable.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

The game is pretty well balanced with the actual heating management. Separating left and right would only lead to some sort of "clip" gameplay and destroy that nice balance.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Not to mention that some classes (or all) are forced to decide what weapons to use. With separate cooling you could just dump both weapons at the same time. The core difficulty of some mechs depends on managing heat and deciding which weapons to use.

There is always the realism card, but this is a game about giant flying mechs built from alloy having mass negating properties, so you get only so far with that argument. I would never add separate cooling to weapons, but I could go with following idea, if done very well:
One master cooling, plus heat gauges for both weapons. Gauges indicate temperature of said weapon. The hotter the master cooling, the faster heat gauges get up. The hotter the weapons, the faster would the master cooling temp increase. Weapons overheat only after the master is very hot. If master overheats, no cooling of weapons for a while. If a weapon overheats, it would jam for a while. With this it would be possible to overheat with, say AR, but still be able to shoot maybe one tow before overheating it.

Simply said, just like now but both weapons would have a very small buffer gauge that is pumped to master cooling. This would enable some fuzzy bunny balancing possibilities for mechs like incin and tech without altering their core design.
  • ToriStark likes this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Well... I think that the current system is good as it is BUT it does make sense to do separate heat....

So I have suggestions...

Halve the over all over heat time but implement the dual thingy.

Don't do anything

Implement the separate over heat system but make over heat pause longer for the over heated weapon....

Implement the system but just Nerf something afterwards.... There are tons of possibility... Etc...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Weapons, Overheating, So

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users