202 replies to this topic

Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Turned out?

Air related content oveall ruined the game for lots of players (air speed, air compressor, fuel consumption). We all know the lore, and mechs are made out of super light material, but this removed a lot of game mechanics and brought the “press space to win” technique.

Before this air introductions, you had the mech feeling now it feels more like an exoskeleton. You would press space to get some high advantage or to get on some building but you had the high risk of getting hit. Now, with the air compressor you have no risks, just benefits wich makes this internal unbalanced.

Why to stay on the ground when you just press space and get all the advantage ??

First of all the old gameplay was good WHEN we were playing it,you still believe that if today devs would roll to the "old" hawken version people would enjoy it more?or we would enjoy it more?Its like driving a ferrari and going back to prius..Come on,hawken evolved,and the logical step was air movement.I get it if people didn't liked it,maybe it wasn't their style,BUT,is hawken actually dominated by air movement?NO,more and more people using different internal ground set ups,which on some point give you higher advantages than the air compressor.

People,for god's sake,before thinking about old hawken(which we all loved,BACK THEN),check the videos of its old gameplay,should i say OLD again?Its clunky,its slow,its EVOLVED.Just check some footage and compare..

P.s Count me in for having air comp on all mechs,but again on some its just useless!

Edited by Odinous, 04 April 2015 - 07:25 PM.

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

True. However, there are parts of various maps that do not give a huge elevation advantage that have been off limits to jumping on or over since the first alphas, and other areas that were blocked off at a later time, so it's not just about preventing people from camping.

From what I'm reading your idea of "aerial combat" is jumping up onto things.  That's like saying BF had aerial combat because you could jump onto cars or roofs.  Is jumping an aspect of aerial combat?  Certainly.  But it's a very very small aspect of it.  Considering that, I would not view limiting access to certain areas as an attempt to eliminate or even reduce aerial combat.

Agreed, this is subjective.

In my view and opinion, the various changes that have been made to the maps since the alphas do not support the idea that air combat was ever really intended, especially at the level that the air compressor enables. I also believe that the video that I linked supports this as the comment was made specifically in reference to the air capabilities of the mechs at the time and the attempt of TB to boost on top of the building he was looking at.

Like I said, the changes to the maps to limit access does not construe a wish to eliminate or reduce aerial combat.  So I would disagree that the video you linked means much in regards to aerial combat.

No doubt, they mention the desire to give mechs a "weighty feel to prevent flying all over the map", but, that's quite subjective.  Currently Hawken has that feel imo, and if all mechs had AC equipped, I would still say it has that feel.

It stands to reason that if ADH had originally intended for 'wind walking' (as I've seen it called elsewhere in the forum) to be an option, they wouldn't have limited the air movement as they did in the alphas compared to the videos you referenced.

I wish I knew the exact reason they changed how mechs "flew" between the pre-alpha footage and alpha, but I do not.  There could be many reasons for it, including perhaps they didn't like it, or perhaps some small group of terrible gamer "focus group" gamers didn't like it, or perhaps there was something buggy about it that they didn't feel like taking the time to sort out...  But simply saying "it was like that, then they changed it, therefore they didn't intend for it to be that way" is shortsighted imo.  One can just as easily say "it was like that, so they wanted it like that, but a bunch of MWO noobs said the mechs felt too light".  We do have proof of the MWO noobs saying such things...  So at least I have that to back me up ;)

So that would be a no, as the AC is currently what is needed for the air dodge.

What I'm saying is, keep AC as an internal that gives greater aerial maneuverability, but separate the air dodge aspect of it and make just the air dodge aspect universal.

I've already seen some anti-AC posters state that they would be willing to deal with more air movement as seen in the pre-alpha build if the air dodge was removed.

Most of what I've read is people saying that targets in the air are either:

Too hard to hit

Make the mechs look light, and simply don't like it

Both of those imply a desire to remove the "more air movement" aspect, rather than just the dodge aspect.  TBH, the dodge aspect has a cooldown, so it cannot be spammed, and since what goes up must come down, simply allowing all mechs to have an air dodge would not increase the amount of time mechs spend in the air significantly, so it would fit those two opinions better.

Don't get me wrong, I would love more air movement overall.  But my main concern with this thread is universal air dodge.  NOT universal increased aerial maneuverability (we'll cross that bridge when we get there (eventually we'll all be playing a cross between UT and Tribes with mechs (that's really my evil plan)))

As I see it right now, the problem so many people have with the air dodge mechanic is that it gives the attacker using it an advantage (high ground) without any real disadvantages (easier to target), especially since the maps, IMO, were not designed for this level of air movement.

But, the maps are designed for this level of air movement.  The pre-alpha videos show such air movement, the current zerker with AC works just fine with the current maps.  Really, why do people keep saying the maps weren't designed for it?

Most people are complaining about the ability for a mech in the air to jet forward or backwards at equal to or greater speeds than ground boosting (debatable) while shooting.  That is a completely separate "problem" from air dodge.  If all mechs had air dodge, it would not suddenly allow them to all fly around shooting everything that moves unhindered.

Taking to the air has always been a risk vs reward thing. Attacking from the higher ground has always been an advantage, which I understand it, in Hawken was supposed to be balanced out by being an easier target.

Yes, it is a risk vs reward thing, and it still will be.  Attacking from higher ground is an advantage blown incredibly out of proportion.  Yeah, it's nice, but you're also painting a huge target on your head.  Even with universal air dodge, you'll still have that target.  Currently getting airborne is the stupidest thing you can do in hawken.  Remember the days when turret mode wrote "I'm a noob that knows nothing" all over?  It's like that.  You jet into the air, any competent player laughs, calls you "cute", then destroys you.  Universal air dodge just makes it so that doesn't happen so fast.

Yes, it does use a lot of fuel to go airborne and air dodge, potentially leaving the attacked at a disadvantage when landing.  However, I do not believe this is enough to counter the large advantage an AC using mech has for the few seconds it's airborne, and you know as well as I do that with the current TTK, those handful of seconds can and often does make the difference in an engagement. 

Like I said, the advantage of being airborne is blown way out of proportion.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
Gah, this reply box is weird... every time I try to quote your post, I just get an empty quote box...

From what I'm reading your idea of "aerial combat" is jumping up onto things.  That's like saying BF had aerial combat because you could jump onto cars or roofs.  Is jumping an aspect of aerial combat?  Certainly.  But it's a very very small aspect of it.  Considering that, I would not view limiting access to certain areas as an attempt to eliminate or even reduce aerial combat.

I point out the various changes ADH made over time as evidence that they never originally intended aerial combat to be like it is now, the maps are not designed for the level of movement that AC provides, and everything they did in the past to them was aimed at keeping mechs primarily on the ground.

I wish I knew the exact reason they changed how mechs "flew" between the pre-alpha footage and alpha, but I do not.  There could be many reasons for it, including perhaps they didn't like it, or perhaps some small group of terrible gamer "focus group" gamers didn't like it, or perhaps there was something buggy about it that they didn't feel like taking the time to sort out...  But simply saying "it was like that, then they changed it, therefore they didn't intend for it to be that way" is shortsighted imo.  One can just as easily say "it was like that, so they wanted it like that, but a bunch of MWO noobs said the mechs felt too light".  We do have proof of the MWO noobs saying such things...  So at least I have that to back me up ;)

Fair enough. :smile:

I wonder if Hughes or Vana would be willing to answer questions about this very thing now that it's pretty much 'out in the open' as to what was happening during the 'tech debt' silence period.

What I'm saying is, keep AC as an internal that gives greater aerial maneuverability, but separate the air dodge aspect of it and make just the air dodge aspect universal.

Got it. My apologies for misunderstanding.

However, this doesn't solve the problem either as it appears to me that no one has problems with mechs taking to the air, it's the air dodge itself that causes the angst.

But, the maps are designed for this level of air movement.  The pre-alpha videos show such air movement, the current zerker with AC works just fine with the current maps.  Really, why do people keep saying the maps weren't designed for it?

And this is where I think the opinion and viewpoint separates. :smile:

I see the pre-alpha videos with mechs flying around with better air movement and agree that the maps appear to have been designed for it... it being the level of air movement that was present at that particular point in time. We have no idea what changes were made in regards to geometry and inviso-walls between then and what we had in the alphas.

Also, the air dodge gives much more movement capabilities than what is shown in those videos.  Saying that the maps were designed for the current movement capabilities of a mech with AC based on capabilities and maps that we have never had the chance to play on isn't really accurate, especially with the various changes to the maps that were made before the AC was introduced that were, IMO, designed to keep players on the ground and off of buildings and other map features.

Like I said, the advantage of being airborne is blown way out of proportion.

And I feel that many of the pro-AC players are downplaying it too much.  We have all seen how even landing the first shot can massively effect the outcome of an engagement, and that's usually done in well under a second.

Add in that a properly set up mech with AC can stay in the air for around a second or more (especially with the scout's ability), and the advantage of high ground and mobility becomes even more pronounced.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users