- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

cassini08

cassini08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi all, as an intro, I am no powerhouse in game, technical limitations (potato) and often ping (we don't Siege enough this end of the world so i have to play on high ping servers) , so, i am average at very best.  

But, due to these limitations i have learned to play at disadvantage, this has me often studying the maker or breaker actions of a match.

Here is a general overview of common mistake/neglect I too often witness that can easily lose any Siege.

Do Not dilly dally. 

The first team on site are going to do well, as simple as this may sound it is inherently difficult to execute.

At AA time, go to AA, regardless.

At EU time, get EU, regardless.

Do Not fall for distraction and or get caught up in little pride battles.

So often the objective changes and team members hang about trying to get that one last kill. 

This goes for rundown kills during AA also, if you aren't in the box you aren't helping.

Just follow objective, with haste. 

Do Not all shoot at the same wounded enemy.

No point all putting bullets in a half ded guy while the rest of the enemy team is filling AA with full health bars.

Do Not shrug off the instruction of team mates.

Hey, they may be wrong, but team is a team... And I have found more often than not they know what they are talking about.

This is a work in progress, i will add more as it comes up, I fully understand that there is always variables, but i speak mostly to the beginner/intermediate population.

If anyone would like to add anything, let me know.  Feel free to think-tank below. 

Edited by cassini08, 30 April 2015 - 09:10 PM.

• (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd likes this

GET IN THE DAMN BOX!

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Stop shooting the ship. You're more useful in/attacking the AA, as it will take the ship down much faster than you can. If you're shooting it because your team can't take the AA, you're probably the reason why your team can't take the AA. Stop. Join your team. 

Sometimes there's an exception to this, like if your team is generally doing well but for whatever reason just can't take the AA this time. In this case, sure, shoot it down, but very rarely should you be shooting at the ship. Having half a team shooting the ship and the other half trying to take AA will not work. The team needs to commit to something and go through with it, as a group. I cannot stress this enough, i swear every siege game I play there's at least one person who just shoots at the ship the entire time and refuses to stop when you suggest that they'd be more useful helping to take/hold the AA. 

Flank. Use tactics. Think. When the other team holds the AA and they won't budge, perhaps you should stop attacking from the same direction each time. Suggest that your team split up to attack from multiple directions, as this is more difficult to defend against. Get a sneaky mech or something that's good at flanking and rush them from the side or rear. Maybe poke at a distance with reaper/ss if you're scared. You'll probably die, but it might distract them enough to allow your team to gain some ground and you might even get a kill or two. 

Edited by PsychedelicGrass, 29 April 2015 - 12:22 AM.

• Miscellaneous, Tankman95, (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd and 2 others like this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

SOD_CyberTormentor

SOD_CyberTormentor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Siege is a lottery often caught incredible times, sometimes teams with many beginners in the way, who are concerned with following the goal and we have excelent victories, with a very large score difference. But it's hard to play with some of the community that perhaps on a whim not have a negative frag end up not contributing, invading the AA or actually fulfilling basic objectives is to collect, prefer to be acting as if it there were a large deathmatch and end hurting the team. Worst of all is that if you ask what is happening or asks for help, after all you are there spending your time to win, it is usually treated badly by those users who are beginning to offend and often stop literally just hurt the game . I feel very angry but I keep doing my best, even if it costs a lot of deaths. Too bad for those who are there too for this, giving his precious life in exchange for an announced defeat.

Maybe my tip would be. Listen to your team, sometimes you're actually doing something unwise and remember they are there wanting to win this includes you in that goal!

Edited by SOD_CyberTormentor, 29 April 2015 - 05:00 AM.

• (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd and cassini08 like this

assinaturalogos_03.png | assinaturalogos_09.png | assinaturalogos_07.pngassinaturalogos_05.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Aux innocents, mes mains pleins,

Flanc, flanc, toujours flanc!

• (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd, cassini08 and SOD_CyberTormentor like this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

One more "simple" rule:

Don't Launch the Battleship when the enemy owns AA and/or has their battleship in the air.

There are some exceptions to this rule but in general, it keeps you from wasting your EU.

• Tankman95 and cassini08 like this
A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Stop shooting the ship. 

Not entirely true. If you shoot off a ships guns, it slows down the damage to your base.

• cassini08 likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

*rubs face*

Ok. I am not nearly sober, drunk or awake enough for this nonsense, but here goes.

1. Don't play pub sieges. Just don't. Go slam a sensitive bit in a door, it'll be more fun.

Do Not dilly dally. 

The first team on site are going to do well, as simple as this may sound it is inherently difficult to execute.

2. Situational. It is more important to arrive as a group and more important to arrive as a multi-pronged attack and even better if you're communicating. Delays are fine to set this up.

At AA time, go to AA, regardless.

At EU time, get EU, regardless.

3. No. Or rather, situational again. Watch the progress of your EU counter and the enemy's EU counter. If any of these start getting low, get to AA. Use your judgement and battlefield knowledge to figure out when "low" is. Low can be 250 if you see a C-class get clear of an EU station. If a ship is about to be destroyed at a base or by AA fire or otherwise, head for EU. Again, use your judgement. "Will the 10 seconds I spend trying to get another missile up matter when the base defenses will destroy the ship in 9-11 seconds?" 

So often the objective changes and team members hang about trying to get that one last kill. 

This goes for rundown kills during AA also, if you aren't in the box you aren't helping.

4. We're on the same page here. Fight on the point, don't chase off it. An enemy running to heal is a completed objective. This isn't MA where kills grant point advantage. 

Moving on.

Stop shooting the ship. 

5. Massive oversimplification, even including your caveats. Shooting the ship is perfectly viable, you just need coordination. For the first three launches, you can outrace the AA in damage to the ship with the right numbers, vantage point and mechs. For the first launch you can even do this with half your team. The advantage of getting the AA is that you can start doing damage to the ship immediately and not need to worry about LOS to the ship, which is extremely difficult on most maps. Once the ship starts doing damage to your base, though, it is entirely possible to wipe it faster than you can take AA and wipe it.

Of course, there's no reason not to take AA and do that anyways if you can. But there are times when this won't be possible. This game is terrible at balance. See point 1.

One more "simple" rule:

Don't Launch the Battleship when the enemy owns AA and/or has their battleship in the air.

There are some exceptions to this rule but in general, it keeps you from wasting your EU.

6. The reasoning behind launching while the enemy owns the AA is to block damage to your base, or if you think you can destroy the enemy ship fast enough to limit damage to your ship, making the launch still worthwhile. Example: both teams are down to 200 base HP. The enemy ship is at a sliver of health. The enemy owns the AA. Launch ship. The ship's damage, the base defenses and your team firing destroy the enemy ship. Your ship sustains minimal damage and advances. Its HP is 800, which is plenty to tank the AA shots and do the final 200 damage to the enemy base.

Everything's situational.

Some other points.

1. The speed of AA launch is determined by the number of defenders, minus the number of attackers on the AA. 1 is slow, 6 is fastest. 0 is no launch. Your ideal number is 5, as the difference between 5 and 6 is so miniscule that the 6th can be used for scouting, harassment or advanced EU gathering. Keep an eye on your numbers.

2. This is probably the only mode where the Tech is a strict, by-the-numbers advantage, where its shitty DPS isn't a liability versus its benefits. If your ship is in the air, you do not necessarily need to kill the people on the AA. You just need to 0 the launch counter. Bodies on the point is more important, though kills can contribute to that.

3. fuzzy bunny your KD. Go play TDM. Just... just fuzzy bunny your KD. You don't belong here if you're worrying about that.

4. Watch the EU numbers. Watch your radar. Judge when you should return your EU. A full tank is nice, but 100 is better than 0. And 63 is better than 100 if it gets the ship launched faster... assuming the enemy doesn't hold AA.

5. Unlike attacking/defending AA, kill the motherfuzzers at EU stations. kill them and suck up their souls. sacrifice them to your God-Ship. steal their eu while you feast off the plenty of the green totem. feed the God-Ship

• bacon_avenger, (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd and cassini08 like this

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

<SNIP>

5. Unlike attacking/defending AA, kill the motherfuzzers at EU stations. kill them and suck up their souls. sacrifice them to your God-Ship. steal their eu while you feast off the plenty of the green totem. feed the God-Ship

post-38815-Waynes-World-Were-Not-Worthy-

• cassini08 likes this
A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

6. The reasoning behind launching while the enemy owns the AA is to block damage to your base, or if you think you can destroy the enemy ship fast enough to limit damage to your ship, making the launch still worthwhile. Example: both teams are down to 200 base HP. The enemy ship is at a sliver of health. The enemy owns the AA. Launch ship. The ship's damage, the base defenses and your team firing destroy the enemy ship. Your ship sustains minimal damage and advances. Its HP is 800, which is plenty to tank the AA shots and do the final 200 damage to the enemy base.

Everything's situational.
<SNIP>

I think this is the rub between these very nuanced and complex reponses and the original rules:

Skill and Experience

While I think your rebuttal's are spot on, they rely on the player being experienced enough to identify your criteria correctly on the fly and then actioning them properly all while trying not to die and without negatively affecting their team.

I think about it like driving a car around a closed track.

If you just got your license, your "rules" are very basic: Stay on the road, don't crash, stay at a semi-constant speed, break before the turn, accelerate after the turn.

If you are Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez's love child from FF7 who was trained by Mario Andretti and Antonio Ascari then your rules will be much more complex.

IMHO: you follow those basic rules, you are unlikely to do active harm to your team's effort but may not be "all that you can be". If you follow the nuanced decision tree and execute semi-perfectly you will be a Seige Demi-God.

TL;DR = New Players get basic black and white rules, Experienced Players get nuanced rules that are all 50 shades of gray.

Edited by oSPANNERo, 29 April 2015 - 11:21 AM.

• Charcoal and cassini08 like this

cassini08

cassini08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Yep, all awesome input here, thanks plenty fellas!

I think maybe I best clarify better in title this is focused more at the beginner/intermediates? 

However getting more toward advanced Siege mechanics, Amidatelion's advice is very, very sound, if you are able to incorporate said methods in to play, do so, you will be a benefit to your team, it would be a fine line to walk for a beginner who I would personally advise to stick to objective, but mostly listen to team mates.

GET IN THE DAMN BOX!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users