Photo

The Ramblings of a Spaceman

- - - - - sound weapons gameplay no school old school spaceman madman same thing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Be warned, I wasn't kidding when I said "ramblings." The points below are stupid-long, so if you aren't into scaling walls of text, turn back now.

So I was reading through a recent thread about an old chassis that hasn't been released yet, "the preggers mech" someone called it. The lumpy little (A class) cousin of the Hon. In that thread, this old HAWKEN video was posted. This had been the first time I watched it, so this was like looking through a window into the past. One of the first thoughts that came to mind was, "Wow, this is awesome!" The second thought however went something like, "Why did it change?" Indeed, what choices were made that turned the HAWKEN of 2011 into the radically different HAWKEN of today? I realize some of these changes were due to technical issues (old HUD eating up huge amounts of RAM, etc.), and some for the sake of gameplay (In Old Soviet HAWKEN, battleship shoot you!), but I can't help but be envious of these past players. To keep this mildly less mind numbing to read, spoilers.

Sights and Sounds 

Spoiler

Atmosphere 

Spoiler

Weapons

Spoiler

I need sleep

• dorobo, crockrocket, Tankman95 and 6 others like this

cUB1aCW.jpg?2

Broham78

Broham78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Yea that old footage, all that immersion...wow. It's the sound effects that really get me though. Bring it back please.

• dorobo, SparkyJJC and CrimsonKaim like this

wGoUz2B.gif

MacTep_6oT

MacTep_6oT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

HEAT gun that pumps. that lonely feeling conveyed that you were gonna dies alone by the enemy

not likely, bro. expecially that 700hp Flak/Rifle assault.

:(

we acan all dream

for CapnJosh, you have to know, the wild and awesome reception the gaming communiti give to Hawken in 2011/12 was for this. not what you are3 saddled with now.  take care. you own a community-deserted Ded Game (this had >560k registered players). breathd life into it, PLEASE

Edited by MacTep_6oT, 10 May 2015 - 11:16 PM.

mjU56gg.jpg

bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Wow, I actually never saw that either, at least the full video. I got over the simplified cockpit, because I understand it had performance issues. But now I'm sad, because I don't understand why they removed so many of the awesome sounds.

• dorobo and Nov8tr like this

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Actually, these videos are a better representative of what alpha was like:

If I'm not mistaken, they are both from alpha 1 (yes, I know the 1st says A2, but I don't recall having that garage in A2) as the 'sniper' (the original name of the reaper) had a slug/SA Hawkens (might be wrong on the second one) and not the EOC as seen in the 2nd video.

And the altimeter on the left of the aiming pip?  It was functional, same with the speed indicator on the right.  Mostly useless, but they did work.

Otherwise, I agree with a lot of what you posted.  Hawken doesn't have the same 'feel' or 'charm' that it used to have.  Ascension made it a lot more...  'sterile', for lack of a better term.

Edited by bacon_avenger, 10 May 2015 - 11:13 PM.

• SparkyJJC and Nov8tr like this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

MacTep_6oT

MacTep_6oT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

oh gawd! i can remember comng out  of chemo and vomiting so much hate there. that was solong ago.

we need so much more of THIS

Edited by MacTep_6oT, 10 May 2015 - 11:22 PM.

mjU56gg.jpg

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
I also noticed the mechs seem to "trudge" more than they do now. They move more heavily. The hud is less sterile and floaty. I suppose the thing that bothers me most now is that the reticle and heat meters are very detatched from the cockpit. Sounds are dull and snappy rather than full and thick. Don't get me wrong, I like what we have now, but it's not what that video was.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I love you satelite so much I think I'm going to orbit you instead of Illal. You posted ALL MY FEELS!

• SatelliteJack likes this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Hey I came in October of 2012 and I really am old in age. How do you think I feel? I love the old Hawken. They won't bring it back, but I can always dream can't I? Sigh...............the mechs had raw power and feel to them. Yeah we have "cool" toys now, but it feels more like a game than war in a mech blowing the enemy away. I've seen real war. One of the reasons I fell in love with Hawken so long ago. Now they are just memories like all the others I have from my life.

giphy.gif

• JackVandal and Pelanthoris like this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Well... We could maybe like when a new much will be implemented maybe use the in meched chassises to do it?

There are a lot of mech concepts and all if we could maybe model the perfect and balanced mech, we maybe don't need to model the skins and all unless the skin doesn't correspond yo it maybe... Idk

Groll

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

This was indeed just rambling. But i (for some unknown reasons) agree with the most of it. This post was more of the nostalgia desperate yell into the darkness. But i like it. I liked 'Old' HAWKEN. I like this post. And i definitely in love with the old ambient sounds and radio guy.

I simply cease to believe that something is OP just because it's OP.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Actually, these videos are a better representative of what alpha was like:

What made me sad about watching those videos is how herokuapp made it very clear that no one in those videos has played in a very long time. Only one level 30 of the lot, and no one with a complete set of mechs. It's almost like they played a different game.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Yeah, there's definitely something to be said about the old hawken atmosphere. It was definitely very cool. And that alone pretty much generated all of hawkens hype, which was pretty substantial considering it was an indie title from studio we've never heard of.

What's also interesting is that adhesive seems to have intentionally made the game look much clunkier and slower in their "official gameplay" trailers than it actually was, rather than openly advertise the perverse unreal tournament-mech warrior franken-game they had cooked up. I've said this once before, but hawken is kind of a bad game that will subsist on the niche following that is willing to overlook its flaws. Probably not a popular opinion, but I think it's true. Most people who are interested in the type of game play hawken has to offer will seek out a real arena FPS. Anyone interested in playing a mech game is more likely to go play mech warrior or something similar. I have plenty of AFPS friends who can't get over the "mech stigma" long enough to see what hawken has to offer, and even if they could, they likely would be turned off by cheap/gimicky mechanics, bad maps, sub par game modes.

Anyways back to the atmosphere. Yeah old hawken atmosphere was sick. A lot of competitively minded players will tell you that a lot of those visuals, while they certainly look cool, are obtrusive, distracting, and would like to turn them off for actual game play.( I completely agree) Some would even say "they don't belong in this type of game". ( I find this laughable)

That video presents hawken in a very cool way, but it's nowhere I'd like to see hawken go. Not after what I've put into, and gotten out of hawken. Sometimes though I like to watch that video and pretend it's a new single player game coming out that I could play for casual fun, without feeling the need to treat it like quantified competitive experience.

• WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW likes this

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

All of my yes

AXgnWyr.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sound, weapons, gameplay, no school, old school, spaceman, madman, same thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users