* * * * * 3 votes Oculus VR Virual reality

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

_SandmaN_

_SandmaN_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Really looking forward to seeing how Hawken performs on the Oculus CV1 - should be pretty stupid-awesome, as long as they can eliminate the nausea-inducing effects in an FPS/VR implementation.  However as the current (as of May 2015) specs show it will be 90Hz, and most likely higher than that, I don't see it as being an issue whatsoever....providing also that latency is as low as possible:

http://www.oculus.co...ering-the-rift/

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Since there was already quite a bit of work put into it maybe they can do it on the cheap (time resources) in which case fine but otherwise no way. Way too small of a market to put any kind of resources into; I give zero cares about VR.

What I want to see is ultra-wide monitor support, I actually went with a 27" QHD display (1440P) because of Hawken dosn't have support for ultra-wide formats.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

90 Hz?.. What about 60 Hz 4K then?

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

VR would be nice but I wonder how long it would take to implement that into the game. Who knows it might help push hawken into the spotlight again if done correctly.

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

grammatonFeather

grammatonFeather

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Anyone who has played Elite Dangerous with Oculus DK2 knows just how amazing the experience is.  From the moment you step into the Elite universe through Oculus you realise how flat and dull everything is without VR.  Everything is life size and in stereoscopic 3d.  Combat is better because you can look around naturally with no lag.  Elite Dangerous and Oculus go together very well even pre-consumer.  There is no reason Hawken couldn't have had the same since it was touting VR from early on.

VR is about to take off in a big way so any developers who stick their head in the sand or up arses will find themselves on the outside looking in.  All these years playing games on flat tiny displays and finally we have the hardware to let us step inside the game world... Everything life-size.

If Hawken doesn't support VR then I don't support Hawken.  Simple equation.

I was an early Hawken alpha player.

NotTrash

NotTrash

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

In the beginning, this game was All About VR ! What happened?

Its still the reason I have this game. So guess I will wait like every body else.  

And those saying VR is not that big a deal? Look at all the Steam VR Discussion's.

CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

It's not that VR isn't a big deal, but at this specific point in time, other things need the focus. I'd love to have hawken with vr. I got to test it out way back in the day when it was still possible to play it (from what I hear, if you have a dk1 you can still set it to 1280x720 and edit the settings and still get it to work actually, but you need the old oculus sdk to do it also.). There were problems (2d and 3d weren't working right at the same time, you could focus on one, but not the other), but was interesting to say the least. But, that said, I'd much rather have a hawken that has a vibrant community (as in lots of people playing) than a hawken with no one around but can do vr.

From a technical stand point, adding vr to hawken will be very hard. There is no native support for VR in unreal engine 3. (which is what hawken uses, and it's a very very long upgrade path to go from ue3 to ue4, as epic does not add an upgrade tool to do this for you.) Using UE4 would help a lot with hawken (better built in networking support, native vr support at the check of a box {if you made the ui right}, better framerates for same quality of graphics, etc) but would be a long path to go to get everything working (especially since last I heard, the networking in hawken is not the native networking for ue3).

So it's not "easy" at all to do this, and the benefit is very very low as opposed to other things. As stated, I'd love to see vr in hawken, but it doesn't make sense at the moment to put the resources on it. Sure, it may bring in a few people interested in vr, but new mechs and levels and game modes are an altogether better approach to getting new users than vr support would come close to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oculus, VR, Virual reality

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users