- - - - - VR Vive Virtual Reality HTC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Looking at this video, I only hope that they will implement this for the HTC Vive.  The headtracking would be SO awesome!  And of course the 3D aspect would be amazing!  Please, devs, do this for Steam, for the HTC Vive.  :D

• Guns_N_Rozer and GalaxyRadio like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Head tracking with a turn-cap, brilliant idea.  

Hey, Badtings, I got a new branding idea for you: Hawken vomit bags! And ibuprofen! I want 50% of the cut.

But no, seriously, moving your head around in Hawken just shows you more of the cockpit. Not gonna happen.

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I was actually thinking marketing Hawken with the Vive or Oculous would be a good idea because of the recent spike in interest/technology of VR. Not many 'quality' games are currently out or support the hardware and I think even a partial VR experience would get a lot of attention.

Head tracking with a turn-cap, brilliant idea.  

Hey, Badtings, I got a new branding idea for you: Hawken vomit bags! And ibuprofen! I want 50% of the cut.

But no, seriously, moving your head around in Hawken just shows you more of the cockpit. Not gonna happen.

Just being able to move your head around inside a cockpit could give an extremely interesting experience if the game created virtual displays relative to the position of the displays/windshields in a mech. Of course, this would be pretty cheap since your FoV would be wider than those with a single monitor.

Also, being able to aim with your head (as dizzying as it sounds) allows for a more effective controller/console adaptation.

• KOS_Baconman likes this

What the Heca-

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Also, being able to aim with your head (as dizzying as it sounds) allows for a more effective controller/console adaptation.

It's not that I don't agree with you, its just that it is not as effective with a turn cap - and indeed forced perspectives that don't align with what our inner ear expects is a great way to induce motion sickness.

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Aim with your head in Hawken w/ VR? I thought it just changed your perspective. I though weapons in Hawken were fixed aiming forward and center unlike say MWO where there is some range of movement allowed before your mech moves its torso or entire mech to follow where you are aiming.

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Dont the vive's controllers have trackpads on them tho? what if you looked around the cockpit via head movement but aiming was done with the trackpad things. With dual controllers with triggers on the back they could fire both weapons, the only problem would be dashing/jumping and repairing etc due to limited buttons.

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Dont the vive's controllers have trackpads on them tho? what if you looked around the cockpit via head movement but aiming was done with the trackpad things. With dual controllers with triggers on the back they could fire both weapons, the only problem would be dashing/jumping and repairing etc due to limited buttons.

Aim with your head in Hawken w/ VR? I thought it just changed your perspective. I though weapons in Hawken were fixed aiming forward and center unlike say MWO where there is some range of movement allowed before your mech moves its torso or entire mech to follow where you are aiming.

This is precisely what would happen and is what Hawken is currently set up to do. Aiming by looking is a fantastic idea in other games, but I can't see it coming to Hawken for coding and physiological reasons.

In other news, we are now talking about the physiological effects of virtual reality games.

Welcome to the cyberpunk future we've always deserved.

Shadowrun-Returns-will-have-Linux-port-n

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Shadowrun-Returns-will-have-Linux-port-n

Damnit!  I know that picture.  Where does that come from originally, if anyone knows?

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Damnit!  I know that picture.  Where does that come from originally, if anyone knows?

Shadowrun 1st Edition baby, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

• talon70 and Badtings like this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Shadowrun 1st Edition baby, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Ahh yes.  And it was one of the same artists who worked on Gamma World.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

The Vive using each arm to aim each weapon independently would be a game changer and so fuzzy bunny cool

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

The Vive using each arm to aim each weapon independently would be a game changer and so fuzzy bunny cool

Sounds like the old community needs to be split again so that console users, old-school PC users, and VR users can be kept separate where one won't have an advantage over the other.  :teehee:

EDIT: still, that would sound frustrating as you'd be aiming with each hand independently, giving yourself whiplash trying to 180 turn with your VR helmet while running in place like an idiot in the middle of your room trying to dash away while screaming voice commands at the mic that's now behind you to drop a health orb. 

I would pay money to see let's play videos of people doing that... MAKE THAT HAPPEN!

Edited by ATX22, 07 June 2016 - 08:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VR, Vive, Virtual Reality, HTC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users