Photo

Will Hawken support HTC Vive's VR headset?

- - - - - VR HTC Vive Virtual reality 3D

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I don't know if Hawken still supports the Oculus Rift, but will it also support the HTC Vive VR headset?  I really hope so, because I'm looking into getting the Vive!  Hawken would be (edit: more) awesome!

Edited by Mech__Warrior, 16 April 2016 - 11:02 PM.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Hawken no longer works correctly with the Oculus Rift. It worked for a short time with the original dev kit 1 but had some major visual UI flaws where menus were unreadable due to the poor resolution of the display.  I don't think anyone has been able to get either DK1, or DK2 to function correctly with the most recent build of Hawken (yeah the one thats almost 2 years old).

So currently the answer to your question is no, it won't work, not without some sort of development.  Currently there is a hack to get Vive equipment to work on Oculus enabled games, but its been deemed a hack by Oculus themselves, and they don't support or condone it.

While it is very cool, it is incredibly expensive hardware and a very niche market at the moment.  I just don't see the point of companies dumping large research and development costs into something that only pertains to a small number of people at the moment, maybe if it proves itself to be worthwhile and millions of people buy it then companies will be forced to comply or be left in the dust, but I just don't see that happening honestly.

Yes it will be cool and flashy, but in reality will it help Hawken make more money, sadly no.

• Mech__Warrior and TheButtSatisfier like this

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

with turn cap? i rotate my neck 360 just to look right

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

with turn cap? i rotate my neck 360 just to look right

My guess is you haven't played Hawken with an Oculus Rift before, but the head tracking is your pilots head inside the cockpit, not the mech pivoting (weapons aiming).

• asipo likes this

[DELETED]

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

My guess is you haven't played Hawken with an Oculus Rift before, but the head tracking is your pilots head inside the cockpit, not the mech pivoting (weapons aiming).

That's pretty cool, never played with VR headsets. 

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hawken no longer works correctly with the Oculus Rift. It worked for a short time with the original dev kit 1 but had some major visual UI flaws where menus were unreadable due to the poor resolution of the display.  I don't think anyone has been able to get either DK1, or DK2 to function correctly with the most recent build of Hawken (yeah the one thats almost 2 years old).

So currently the answer to your question is no, it won't work, not without some sort of development.  Currently there is a hack to get Vive equipment to work on Oculus enabled games, but its been deemed a hack by Oculus themselves, and they don't support or condone it.

While it is very cool, it is incredibly expensive hardware and a very niche market at the moment.  I just don't see the point of companies dumping large research and development costs into something that only pertains to a small number of people at the moment, maybe if it proves itself to be worthwhile and millions of people buy it then companies will be forced to comply or be left in the dust, but I just don't see that happening honestly.

Yes it will be cool and flashy, but in reality will it help Hawken make more money, sadly no.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.  I really appreciate your input.  I have heard about that hack that Palmer doesn't condone.  Well, tough luck for him!  :P  :D

I see what you're saying about it having to be the next big thing (which it is, in my opinion, a game changer... was a pun intended... not really. :D ), and being in "every" household before businesses take note.  But heck, with all the VR talk, and companies jumping on the bandwagon as of late, the future looks bright in my eyes.  Was that another pun of sorts... not purposefully, but I like it!  :P

Now, a separate question would be, .... darn, I don't have an Nvidia GPU!  I was thinking that their 3D application could be made to at least show stereoscopy.  Wouldn't that be an easy thing to at least accomplish for the VR headsets?  Certainly looking around wouldn't register, but having three-dimensionality would be fun!  If you know something about this, I'm all ears.  I'll do a web search after this reply, but if you know...  ;)

Thanks again,
Mech__Warrior  (see you on the battlefield, pilot!)

EDIT: Well, I'm happy to try this out: https://www.reddit.c...es_on_the_vive/

Edited by Mech__Warrior, 17 April 2016 - 09:56 PM.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Now, a separate question would be, .... darn, I don't have an Nvidia GPU!  I was thinking that their 3D application could be made to at least show stereoscopy.  Wouldn't that be an easy thing to at least accomplish for the VR headsets?  Certainly looking around wouldn't register, but having three-dimensionality would be fun!  If you know something about this, I'm all ears.  I'll do a web search after this reply, but if you know...  ;)

You kinda didn't finish asking your question, lol, but I think you were asking if you can get just stereoscopic rendering on a VR headset.  I'm not sure, I know Hawken did support a different kind of stereoscopic rendering, but there was an issue with the cross hairs causing awkward visuals.  I think it was because they were just drawn on top of the display and didn't include the correct visual depth.  The problem with getting it to display in a headset is how the image is split and displayed to each eye display individually, whereas with the Nvidia 3d vision rendering both eye cameras are overlaid on one screen. 

I don't really remember how to enable stereoscopic rendering either, I remember once it just automatically enabled itself on my system due to me installing the entire Nvidia geforce driver package, and to fix it I just uninstalled the 3d drivers cause I never used that feature for anything.

Maybe someone else that has successfully gotten the stereoscopic rendering working can chime in. 

So again, I think getting Hawken working in a split screen (separate eye) display might require some work on Reloaded's end, the 3D vision mode is already included though, but that is meant for a single screen.

[DELETED]

Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
No, please. No VR please. I don't want to play with motion sickness thank you.
  • Pleasure_Mortar likes this

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

No, please. No VR please. I don't want to play with motion sickness thank you.

isn't the motion sickness thing mostly hype?  like my dad gets motion sickness playing any fps.  whereas i was able to get over motion sickness at sea by playing fps's and effectively ignoring my protesting inner ear through immersion.

i don't think that anyone that has any experience in first person gaming would have a problem getting used to vr

here's an older article...

another

sure would be nice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VR, HTC, Vive, Virtual reality, 3D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users