* * * * * 3 votes Oculus VR Virual reality

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

KillerMariosCY

KillerMariosCY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Developers should definitely focus on Virtual reality. (Oculus support is already implemented but it needs refinement)

This game would be the ultimate virtual reality experience.

Also It will boost the game's popularity.

The ultimate virtual reality for me is to be inside a cockpit of a giant mech and feel the devastating firepower of these machines !

Any thoughts ?

Edited by KillerMariosCY, 02 July 2016 - 05:26 PM.

• claisolais, RedVan, schwanzlurch and 4 others like this

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

yeah, but you also have to worry about things like budget confines while making games as we all know too well.

in my opinion there are better things the devs can be focusing on right now.

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

I think the main reason the HP bar is not a part of the cockpit is Oculus Rift support. I have seen how you can look around inside the cockpit and it even has neat easter eggs. But I think this is only an eye candy for this game. I love VR but I can not imagine playing this game with it. I heard that DK2 does not support the Unreal 3 engine.

Edited by Houruck, 22 March 2015 - 02:27 PM.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

they *slightly lookin over to the devs*  shouldn't put to much work in bolstering the DK2 right now; but by the time CV1 will be poured out over everyones head...yeah by then there should be a stable support ready & steady ^^ !

BkIvUun.gif

~  schwanzlurch est UrODelA is the SalamandeR ist der  ~

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I think we're still a few years, if not more than a decade away from cheap, realistic VR being a real selling point for home gaming. Oculus and similar other brands are a step in the right direction, but nothing is going to happen overnight to get a big boost in sales or interest that Adhesive didn't already try. Oculus being a big deal for this game has already jumped the shark and the game's long decline in population leaves us with only a few thousand interested in the game itself, let alone the 1-2%, if that, that even own an Oculus. 

Support for Oculus and other brands of immersive viewing aren't going to disappear and Hawken isn't going to stop supporting them, so don't worry. The most important things right now are overall quality of gameplay, game stability, and new content. They need to focus on the 80% of users first and the rest as time, resources and money allow.

• Superkamikazee likes this

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Don't misunderstand me, I think VR is nifty as anything and has the potential to really change the way we play games.

However, it is still very much a nitch thing, the Oculus is still not released (only dev kits which may or may not see significant changes before release), and there are competitors that may or may not be compatible with the API Oculus uses.

I say that it needs to wait.  Spend development time on making it an add-on after the game has been stabilized and fixed up.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

However, it is still very much a nitch thing, the Oculus is still not released...

don't underestimate the power of the dark si...blue zuckerberg ! no really, when CV1 is ready to ship, they will be flooding the ( casual ) market...there will be 'Rift prize competition tickets' on rice crispies boxes in the malls, game bundles including oculcus hardware and even by closing the contract on your next phone, they'll pack it with a nice Gear VR set to sweetn the deal...it's all lined up for massproduction to lower the price and get ( really ) everyone into the boat...

• KillerMariosCY likes this

BkIvUun.gif

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

don't underestimate the power of the dark si...blue zuckerberg ! no really, when CV1 is ready to ship, they will be flooding the ( casual ) market...there will be 'Rift prize competition tickets' on rice crispies boxes in the malls, game bundles including oculcus hardware and even by closing the contract on your next phone, they'll pack it with a nice Gear VR set to sweetn the deal...it's all lined up for massproduction to lower the price and get ( really ) everyone into the boat...

And I'll be getting one myself (Elite: Dangerous is awesome with a VR headset from what I've read and been told by others who have a dev kit 2)...  once it's released, whenever that is.  I'm not against it being added, I just don't think they should be spending time/money on it right now, and at least not until it's been released.

(I originally thought of saying released in it's final form, but then had images of people wearing it and having their hair start glowing yellow and getting spiky, so yea, I didn't go there :tongue: )

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I'd rather the devs work on multi-monitor support that fixes the FOV and HUD issues.

• bacon_avenger, SigmaOmega and WastingTime like this

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting"  - Sun Tzu

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I'd rather the devs work on multi-monitor support that fixes the FOV and HUD issues.

SO MUCH THIS!

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Just recently got my DK2 headset.  It seems to work great on demos designed for it, but I can't get Hawken via Steam to run it at all.  The closest I got was allowing the headset to run as an extended monitor and starting Hawken full screen on it.  Long story short, it didn't work.  I've got a prototype mech sim that I'm building for Hawken and I'd really like to run it on the Rift.  If anyone is interested, I can get a picture of the work in progress.

• ka0us likes this

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I'm all for VR, but I'm not for it for Hawken till it has a stable, large user base and the devs have enough resources to allocate to it. VR's taking off in a big way, and I really want the HTC Vive (or any variants that come along), but I don't want it for Hawken, not yet. VR isn't unpopular, but I don't think it's out in enough numbers for Hawken to benefit from it at this point in time. Things will change, though, and I'm looking forward to that. :)

• ka0us likes this

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
First, support oculus rift DK2 as Hawken did for DK1, that.. Shouldn't be very hard.
Or does Hawken planning give up on Oculus rift because of the vive? PLS don't :( Even though I probably going to buy one cv vive anyway.

Ic6j9zJ.png

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Just recently got my DK2 headset. It seems to work great on demos designed for it, but I can't get Hawken via Steam to run it at all. The closest I got was allowing the headset to run as an extended monitor and starting Hawken full screen on it. Long story short, it didn't work. I've got a prototype mech sim that I'm building for Hawken and I'd really like to run it on the Rift. If anyone is interested, I can get a picture of the work in progress.

Ic6j9zJ.png

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
I believe I have saw one YouTube video that using DK2 on Hawken, that why I have my Oculus DK2 is shipping to me right now...

Ic6j9zJ.png

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I believe I have saw one YouTube video that using DK2 on Hawken, that why I have my Oculus DK2 is shipping to me right now...

Oh man, if you could find that video that would be awesome.  I cannot for the life of me get it working..  :wallbash:

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

DK 2 can run if you set the screen resolution (if I remember correctly is 1280 × 720) settings like DK 1. In this game screen will greatly cut off along the perimeter of the monitor screen

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

DK 2 can run if you set the screen resolution (if I remember correctly is 1280 × 720) settings like DK 1. In this game screen will greatly cut off along the perimeter of the monitor screen

Think I'm still gonna need a tutorial, because I tried just about everything I could think of.

EDIT:  I've sent a request in to the guys at Oculus Rift.  Maybe they'll reply with some sort of work around.

Edited by Zabukovic, 29 March 2015 - 09:10 AM.

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Oculus guys got back to me.  They said it's something the devs of HAWKEN are gonna have to work on.

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Oculus Rift DK2 - currently the game is not supported

only Oculus Rift DK1

You can make it work Oculus Rift DK2:

DK 2 can run if you set the screen resolution (if I remember correctly is 1280 × 720) settings like DK 1. In this game screen will greatly cut off along the perimeter of the monitor screen

you do know how to use Oculus Rift?

Edited by Anichkov3, 30 March 2015 - 10:37 AM.

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Oculus Rift DK2 - currently the game is not supported

only Oculus Rift DK1

You can make it work Oculus Rift DK2:

you do know how to use Oculus Rift?

I've tried every combination of resolutions, running modes, and configurations I can think of and/or found online.  For instance, you can set the Oculus to run in 3rd party shells or as part of the Windows desktop.  Does anyone have the exact combo of settings, configurations, and incantations for this thing?

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Oh man, if you could find that video that would be awesome.  I cannot for the life of me get it working..  :wallbash:

I remembered it as somebody complaining of DK2 doesnt have head tracking on it.....turns out he was saying that it does TOTALLY not working on Hwk..I tried several ways....like you did, same result here..

Ic6j9zJ.png

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

My friend "successfully" launched Oculus Rift DK2 in the game, if you want I can make the points as he did....

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

My friend "successfully" launched Oculus Rift DK2 in the game, if you want I can make the points as he did....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

I would like to ask you to create a thread about it. I am interested in it as well and I bet there are others.

• schwanzlurch and ka0us like this

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Support that was implemented for a while (before ascension) was horrible. They set the eye separation differently for 3d and 2d elements, so you could only look at one at a time, and have a double image of the other. Also, the guy (Andrew Scott Reisse, lest we forget his name) that was adding the support to ue3 (largely) for hawken got hit by a car, and unfortunately died. He was also a co-founder of Oculus the company. After that happened, support for the rift didn't get updated, and as stated, in ascension was disabled, and to my knowledge is still disabled.

As to the if the rift will be updated before cv1, most definitely yes. It's already been confirmed that Crescent Bay (the current prototype at conventions) uses two screens. Most likely this is to allow the screen to be closer you your eyes, giving a larger field of view, also allowing for a modified sli/crossfire to render both eyes at the same time on two different cards. Either way, considerable differences in architecture. They've also officially said that they aren't working on the desktop sdk, cause the DK2 is too different from Crescent bay, that in order to keep updating the Crescent bay sdk, they've stopped updating the dk2 until a time where it seems that it'd be more worth it to get the feedback from dk2 owners.

I would love vr support in hawken, but it has to be done right, and to do it right requires specially made content, like hud and menus. -_- oh... the menus..... -___- the menus..... were....... so horrible in the versions they released that had it. Was scaled so wrong (1080x1920) so everything was tiny. Like... really tiny. You could barely make out the play/launch button in the top left. That's how bad it was.

It was decent after getting into a game, as long as you turned the hud off XD. Cause all the gauges at the time were in the cockpit, it wasn't a large detriment to do so, and they had the commands unlocked at the time, so you could actually do that.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the topic.

CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I would like to ask you to create a thread about it. I am interested in it as well and I bet there are others.

If I had to guess, it's not the built in support. You "can" get any dx9 game to work using things like Vireio Perception, VorpX, or Tridef. It uses the rift information to control the mouse, and manually rotates the camera for tilting the head sideways as a post process shader or something like that. They honestly do ok, but it's just as bad as a poor port from console, and generally speakings makes menus impossible to use with a mouse. Not to mention moving the mouse up or down offsets how much up or down you are looking. (same for left and right, but that you want, so you can turn left and right.)

Beyond that, to my knowledge, it's been 100% disabled in hawken's code. I wouldn't doubt that it's still there, but the commands and config lines that you used before do nothing now.

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

I repeat once again: "In this game screen will greatly cut off along the perimeter of the monitor screen"

Need to set up as well as for Oculus Rift DK1:

Here you can read how to run DK1 http://hawken.mirror...ulus-rift-help/

- works correctly only with Windows 7 64

- Enable the rift in the devices menu.

- to activate the screen in the Oculus Rift must choose his main (may even need to turn off the monitor at times - such as laptops)

- Rift in extended mode.

- Restart the game and it should only appear on your rift in the correct format.

- In order to use in the game to reduce the screen resolution of the monitor and screen resolution in the game up to 1280 * 800

P.S. I do not have on hand Oculus Rift and his friend had already resold (bought in America brought, tested, and resold). :sweat:

Edited by Anichkov3, 31 March 2015 - 07:21 PM.

Valimer

Valimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I think we're still a few years, if not more than a decade away from cheap, realistic VR being a real selling point for home gaming. Oculus and similar other brands are a step in the right direction, but nothing is going to happen overnight to get a big boost in sales or interest that Adhesive didn't already try. Oculus being a big deal for this game has already jumped the shark and the game's long decline in population leaves us with only a few thousand interested in the game itself, let alone the 1-2%, if that, that even own an Oculus. 

Support for Oculus and other brands of immersive viewing aren't going to disappear and Hawken isn't going to stop supporting them, so don't worry. The most important things right now are overall quality of gameplay, game stability, and new content. They need to focus on the 80% of users first and the rest as time, resources and money allow.

By this December Razer, Oculus and Valve will have all released retail VR headsets for the public. The price of these will be slightly less than buying a console. Also I can tell you "realistic" VR is much closer than you think. I use and develop for Oculus hardware and I can assure you good VR headsets are only months away. Also VR support for Hawken was made possible a long time ago. One of my colleagues had the privilege of using the Oculus DK1 headset while playing Hawken. He says it was amazing.

But liek others have said here, it's low priority. Can't wait for it's official support though!

Zabukovic

Zabukovic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

https://community.pl...p-2015-edition/

X-post to a pic of my gaming rig.  Basically a mech chair sim.  This is what I'm hoping to use in conjunction with the VR.

Edited by Zabukovic, 02 April 2015 - 07:05 AM.

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Too soon junior, and with the current super fast gameplay, it's going to be puke fest. Early CB gameplay was better suited for VR support. And before the devs spend resources pushing more VR support, it may be best to see what the Valve / HTC VIBE, and retail Oculus Rift consumer prices will be.

No crew

torc

torc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

1st: oculus rift will have JUST ONE SCREEN,not TWO as posted above.

2nd: Many people here invested money on Hawken just because the old Dev team and producers said they support OR just in the Release (12/12/12) and this never happened

3rd:I am Here from the closed Alpha, and i saw a lot and a lot of mistakes from devs, especially understimating the new technologies, and not implement them in a good and solid way in game: And having a small VR Dev team inside the Crew doesn't hurt...i really don't understand why the VR development should not proceed WITH other bugfixes and features and i'll never understand the ''Before Devs have other things to do'' thinghy.

4th: we suggested in the past a lot of implementations that helps The old Devteam to integrate in a proper way the VR in Hawken:

We have low latency screens, high resolutions and STILL we can NOT AIM WITH HEADTRACKING...LOL! (Just optional...for people that wants to aim in the classic style)

5th: for the nausea and motion sickness there are INDIE games like VOXMachinae that uses a nice ''fake gimballed seat'' that helps a lot,and it have A PILOT BODY! UNBELIEVABLE! ;)  (in that indie game you can aim with your view avoiding the mouse issue that can cause the problems explained above.

So, we have the technology, we have the suggestions and we have games where the suggestions explained from 2 years in this forums have been applied and works great...WE just need to implement them in game with a proper GUI and proper cockpits seats and voila! HAWKEN will become the Best VR mech experience ever seen.

EDIT: Please devs, take a look at star citizens, Elite Dangerous and the upcoming EVE: Valkyrie:

All that titles invested in VR...this is clear that the immersion will be the next and natural steps that game industry will try to reach:

So don't do the mistakes that previous devs made...INVEST IN VR and this game will live for the next 10 years :)

Edited by torc, 15 April 2015 - 12:50 PM.

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

There is a big difference in playing say Elite Dangerous or EVE Valkyrie with VR, and a fast paced arena FPS like Hawken in VR. If the current version of Hawken more closely resembled CB, then sure I'd agree, VR support would be a no brainer. But todays Hawken is a completely different animal than it was in early CB, and the focus on faster combat limits VR's viability in game and would just amplify VR's reputation for causing motion sickness. 

No crew

torc

torc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

There is a big difference in playing say Elite Dangerous or EVE Valkyrie with VR, and a fast paced arena FPS like Hawken in VR. If the current version of Hawken more closely resembled CB, then sure I'd agree, VR support would be a no brainer. But todays Hawken is a completely different animal than it was in early CB, and the focus on faster combat limits VR's viability in game and would just amplify VR's reputation for causing motion sickness. 

Elite Dangerous can be easily played with the Oculus rift DK2...i have the first development kit, and i can assure you the only problem is the unradable text.

The game should be OPTIMIZED for the upcoming Oculus rift Consumer Version.

With high res and low latency screen the problems you mentioned will be almost gone.

The real shame is that the old Devteam didn't have a dedicated VRteam support for implementing OR in game during dev process, and a frikkin' headtracking aiming feature never implemented made the whole experience worst.

VR Reputation is ruined from that kind of ''fake'' support....they talked about VR because the argument is very appealing for pubblicity, but a bad implementation as seen in Hawken...well THAT ruined the VR Rep and the game itself.

schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

now, that we have clarity ...maybe it's time to rearrange some milestones in Hawken-development... ( or maybe capnjosh already knew ^^ )

8QiMurQ.gif

BkIvUun.gif

CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I don't really see how the announcement of oculus changes anything in hawken at the moment. Not trying to be depressing about it, but seriously, it's not something they "should" look into at the moment. Last month, Hawken has an average of just over 600 concurrent players. That's hardly the playerbase needed to be able to get hawken back on it's feet to begin with, none-the-less add in VR support which is still an extremely small portion of the gaming community.

While I do look forward to vr support, I'd rather see things like new levels and mechs instead. Hawken doesn't have a ton to bring to the vr world. For most people it's too fast paced (not me, but I have had motion sickness only once in the rift, and that was at a loading screen where literally nothing was moving{meaning when I moved, the image stayed still}), and it really wouldn't change much except the immersion factor. While it'd be cool, there's not much incentive to add it.

schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I don't really see how the announcement of oculus changes anything in hawken at the moment. ...

a girl mech pilot can dream...

...it's not something they "should" look into at the moment. ... I'd rather see things like new levels and mechs instead. ...

what capnjosh & Queen Tiggs pulled off in the last few weeks...most impressive ! needless to say, i'm not in denial of some bigger, much more important milestones right ahead...just thinking openly and abuzz about the future value of VR capability in that matter...

... in VR...which is still an extremely small portion of the gaming community.
... Hawken doesn't have a ton to bring to the vr world. For most people it's too fast paced ...

but that exactly is gonna change... and everyone will talk and praise about the CCP / Oculus launch title; but Hawken was the early adopter - the pioneer !

p.s.
thx a lot for your honest criticism, enthusiasm alone won't carry any game to consumer quality.

BkIvUun.gif

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

After a full 3D cockpit integration of (if possible) every feedback piece in between your mech and you as pilot, (that would be the first natural step from a development stand point, IMHO), a push into VR would be very cool, indeed.

Oculus Rift will hopefully be available in 2016, first quarter. In my opinion no hurries though. However I must admit that the game experience in VR is gonna be a blast.

Note: UI will need an extra effort from an VR integration stand point, ofc. =)

Dutchmaan

Dutchmaan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hawken should be bundled with the Rift. I know it's free to play, but perhaps throwing in a free mech package with the Rift purchase would be a good way to increase player base with the release of a great new implementation of VR!

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I bet he beat his head off the wall a few times trying to figure it out too considering Hawken refuses to launch with the DK2. I've gotten it to launch with the DK2 but that took registrying hacking to spoof the device ID but had no headtracking.

But in seriousness as per someone who has played the game before with the DK1(native support), the game has a long long way to go. Hawken in the default state of the rift, is really hard on the eyes due to the fact adjusting IPD doesn't help releive issues due to overlapping textures/pictures. Being able to adjust the IPD is important, and thats a feature thats overlooked. ReLoaded would need to get the game going and on the right track, then they can start to fuss over the VR support. You people need to realize what Oculus VR announced wasn't the production unit, it was the concept versions of the production unit or the CV1. Top it all off Brenadan Iribe basically said CV1 could be coming tomorrow or it could be next year or somewhere inbetween.

tTIViUr.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oculus, VR, Virual reality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users