Photo

Problem: Engine Load Stuttering

- - - - - stuttering frame-time delivery FPS Unreal Engine 3 G-Sync Freesync game engine

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Take note of the graph located below, and the unit measurements located towards the upper right corner in the video.

This installation of Hawken is running on a Solid State Drive. The game's engine is unable to update frames in real-time apparently, so it bottlenecks whatever is being loaded, creating visible stutter. This effect is multiplied when in matches, since there is a lot going on. You'd think reinstalling the installation from a HDD to a SSD would either fix, or greatly mitigate the problem. It does not.

In this case, the video below exemplifies just how bad engine load stutter is on Hawken. However, this is just a small part of the problem; you see, this stuttering can be either 50 ~ 100ms in duration, or close to almost a second—in extreme cases. It's often a hindrance, especially where the amount of time to render a frame shouldn't cause the engine to stutter over very minor parts of the game. For example, even the act of changing mechs without spawning in will cause the client's game to stutter, whether you have the scoreboard on display or not. A notorious case of this engine stutter can often be seen when deactivating the Predator's ability. I'll likely follow up this post with that scenario, since I can reproduce it.

Often times, these stutters can prohibit smooth gameplay, since the act of rendering frames and loading something (e.g., streaming assets, handling netcode ticks, server instance updates, what have you) causes the game engine to hitch, and thus, noticeable stutter causes minor and/or major lag in frame delivery updates. In some rare and extreme cases, this engine fault can even affect real-time audio playback, effectively causing pops through the real-time audio stream that is delivered to the operating system. Although it could be a separate bug that plateaus the GPU, and lowers the FPS considerably over a long period of time.

It's obvious subtle problems like these are often weighed between solving and not solving, since there is no subjective 'visible' issue with the game engine functioning. This is because many don't know what to look for. This issue/bug could be so deep as to it requiring a complete rewrite of engine code, which is probably out of the question in the first place. But have no doubt, it's real and it certainly exists in Hawken. There are individuals who experience it, some more than others, and it affects their gameplay.

In that regard, any plan to fix this issue/bug(?), Reloaded? Why is this happening to nearly all aspects regarding the game client? Is it only related to Unreal Engine 3, and not Hawken itself? Is it some form of the engine not being optimized? Hopefully, I'm not the only one that notices it.

Edit: Added in the still capture from the video that depicts a very large load stutter.

Edit2: Fixed broken links.

Ts7kmfe.png

Edited by Draigun, 06 July 2016 - 12:44 PM.

• XPloyt, ThirdEyE, Guns_N_Rozer and 10 others like this

TpsOr7F.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Post reserved.

Video showing another case of incredibly bad engine load stutter, likely provoked by the action of loading the icons, or fetching backend information (likely).

The game shouldn't behave this way.

Edited by Draigun, 31 May 2015 - 05:22 PM.

• ThirdEyE, GalaxyRadio and CraftyDus like this

TpsOr7F.png

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

I suppose we can ask the dev's to redesign the game to load its entire codebase into the GPU's RAM and run from there. 

While they're at it, I dont want load times between maps. It should all be instant. As soon as I click the hawken shortcut it should take me to the server browser faster than it takes to load www.google.com. In fact, i think it should pre-emptivly load the game before I get home from work. - And it should know when I want to shoot. The time it takes for my mouse button to fully click is too long. 

• MechFighter5e3bf9 likes this

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Wow, okay so that's my culprit. The stuttering when I boost and dodge that makes any form of evasion impossible. I hope this can be fixed. Thanks for figuring it out!
  • Drusus likes this

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I appreciate the time and effort you took into documenting this issue. Have you submitted a ticket in addition to posting it here?

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Yea this has bothered me for a long time.  Scrolling up and down in menus quickly results in gigantic lag.  In menus it can be <10 fps if you grab the scrollbar and throw it up and down.  Game is finished, ship it!

oSpBaPA.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I appreciate the time and effort you took into documenting this issue. Have you submitted a ticket in addition to posting it here?

My initial thought was to see if any of the devs would respond via this thread. If not, I'll submit it through the support channel to see if we can't shed some light on this problem.

Yea this has bothered me for a long time.  Scrolling up and down in menus quickly results in gigantic lag.  In menus it can be <10 fps if you grab the scrollbar and throw it up and down.  Game is finished, ship it!

Agreed, hopefully this problem will be corrected before final is to be shipped.

Wow, okay so that's my culprit. The stuttering when I boost and dodge that makes any form of evasion impossible. I hope this can be fixed. Thanks for figuring it out!

I know exactly what you're talking about. That actually might not be related to what I described here. I think it was said that it is the result of rubberbanding, based on the netcode and server you're in; although I'm finding that not so believable. It can be reproduced quite frequently, and usually on demand. Or, perhaps the action itself triggers rubberbanding, which would be interesting.

However, the engine hitches/stutters so much that it's practically one in the same.

• comic_sans, GalaxyRadio and Flifang like this

TpsOr7F.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

try a lower poll rate and do not ever ever use any sort of macro

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Edit: Added in the still capture from the video that depicts a very large load stutter.

statunits.png

You realize this data is showing that your GPU is far from being able to render and display the game smoothly right? I can rapidly switch between mechs, menus, etc. Constantly staying around 220~230 FPS, my frametime never goes above 3ms, nor does my draw or GPU time ever go over 1ms, I've never had any of these "stutters" you speak of. But things would suggest that your running on inadequate hardware.

tTIViUr.png

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
I'm running on an Alienware Aurora and this happens to me quite often. I don't know why you feel the need to come in here and question somebody's intergrity on an issue you yourself have never come across. If YOU think it's a load of fuzzy bunny, do us a favor and keep it to yourself. I have this problem in matches and It's the sole reason I haven't been able to get to around 2400 mmr which I have been told is how well I play when everything is going smoothly. It's extremely frustrating
  • Jelooboi likes this

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

You realize this data is showing that your GPU is far from being able to render and display the game smoothly right? I can rapidly switch between mechs, menus, etc. Constantly staying around 220~230 FPS, my frametime never goes above 3ms, nor does my draw or GPU time ever go over 1ms, I've never had any of these "stutters" you speak of. But things would suggest that your running on inadequate hardware.

I don't think you understand. That still was taken from one of the video captures that I uploaded, which is in the OP. It was the direct result of loading the Career submenu, which is around the minute and four second mark. These load stutters take effect whenever something is loaded in, and thus, the effect of stuttering occurs.

The stuttering we speak of definitely occurs on your installation; it's just that you simply don't notice it, or you don't know what to look for.

I'd suggest reading this documentation article here. This is clearly not a GPU issue, so it has nothing to do with the hardware one runs.

• PoopSlinger likes this

TpsOr7F.png

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I don't think you understand. That still was taken from one of the video captures that I uploaded, which is in the OP. It was the direct result of loading the Career submenu, which is around the minute and four second mark. These load stutters take effect whenever something is loaded in, and thus, the effect of stuttering occurs.

The stuttering we speak of definitely occurs on your installation; it's just that you simply don't notice it, or you don't know what to look for.

I'd suggest reading this documentation article here. This is clearly not a GPU issue, so it has nothing to do with the hardware one runs.

This is even with rapid loading of various things throughout the menu.

15cljt3.jpg

My numbers at best fluctuate down to 190 for fps, and up to 6ms frametime Frame to 6.12ms Game to 2.71ms Draw to 6.01ms and GPU stays at 2.33ms

tTIViUr.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Toxic Rainbows, is there any way you can record accessing submenus, menus, etc. with 'stat fps', 'stat unit', and 'stat unitgraph' commands active using the terminal, and somehow upload it somewhere? It's not that I don't believe your claim in that there is no stutter on your installation, but that the evidence you offered is unable to validate concerns. As an example, take a look at the performance without loading in anything on the main menu screen:

O3VLfQk.png

I achieved the same effect you reached, simply by unlocking my frame buffer, and the respective fps cap. Speaking of that:

The only reason why you see a drop to 190 fps—or an otherwise perceived miniscule amount of drop—is because the frame buffer is not restricted to the amount of frames you render. Due to an unrestricted frame buffer, stat unit numbers appear to be normal, even while encountering engine load stutter. In reality though, these load stutters abruptly halts the delivery of frames, which is caused by the bottleneck in the game thread performance.

In the original video, located in the OP, I had a 140 FPS cap; consequently, the load stutter was amplified regarding stat unit measurements. Now, in the video below, I'm running with an unlocked frame buffer, and removed the fps cap. The results: stutter can still be seen, spikes in game thread performance can still be seen, and, as indicated by the graph, undesirable amount of frame-time lag. Take a look:

Spoiler

Comparing that video to the original shows only a difference in the stat unit measurements. Other than that, still being bottlenecked by game thread performance.

--

Support staff told me something regarding a previous issue sometime ago, that there were some issues with NVIDIA cards. No specifics were mentioned, inlcuding how long or how this came to be. But if this is a long-standing problem exclusive to only NVIDIA, that could explain subpar performance with those running NVIDIA cards. However, the evidence I gathered does not support that theory at all, since only the frames rendered by the game are bottlenecking the frame time performance. No visible degradation in performance is to be seen regarding GPU rendering. In other words, even AMD based cards will see engine load stutter, since the problem occurs with the game engine.

The documentation article I linked indicates poor game thread performance. As you and I both can see, there are individuals who agree stutter exists, or the perception thereof. It's a valid concern we have.

In the next few days, I'm going to follow up with a ticket to support. Even if these performance problems get looked into—as indicated by the recent weekly update—support will be contacted regarding these stutter issues; this thread will be used as a reference point.

As a sidenote, I updated my reserved post to include a video of the worst game thread performance to be seen. ThirdEyE has already described it in this thread. It's not normal for the game to behave this way.

Edited by Draigun, 06 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

TpsOr7F.png

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
I use an AMD card so I can confirm it does happen on those
  • Draigun and Drusus like this

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

This is very useful material.  Thanks.  I've got this post included in the bug tracker ticket.

• Draigun, EM1O, comic_sans and 8 others like this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

yes. amd7750 old-school card does this too. that huge hickup when leaving the first spawn on Prosk for instance.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

This problem has gone far beyond tolerable. At this point this is just plain infuriating. I hope it gets fixed because although the problem for me was there before the game was bought out, the problem has become far more severe, common, and long lasting since changes have been made to the game.

• Drusus likes this

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

I thought this was normal, it's been like this for me for quite a while. (Frame showed 167ms at the Service Rewards menu.)

wCsEkU4.png

Picture taken from video I just uploaded, showing how it is for me.

Spoiler

Edited by (KDR) Meraple, 18 June 2015 - 12:21 PM.

• Draigun likes this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Wish i would have seen this before.

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

The predator cloak break hitch is something I had back when I ran a couple AMD 7950's on a phenom 1100

and still observe it with a couple NVidia 970 gtx's on an i7 4770k

It's like it's always going to be there and part of popping cloak is learning to play pred around the game's engine stutter!

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Drusus

Drusus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You can add me to the list of affected parties.

What's been blowing my mind is that the problem seemed perfectly replicable regardless of settings selected.  No matter what I did, the behaviour was persistent and the Op's post describes it to a T.  I already have a support ticket in describing the observable phenomena.

According to posted specifications I am WELL above the requirements and recommended needs to play Hawken, to no avail as a point of note ToxicRainbow.  While I can accept my hardware isn't cutting edge, one would expect being well above the recommended specs one wouldn't see this kind of tanking in performance with this kind of intensity and frequency.

I've been trying to work around it but as others have said, the issue makes 'reactive' combat a futile gesture on my part as often as not when the world simply stops and slide shows without warning or obvious controllable trigger.

Glad to see you are taking the post seriously Capnjosh, cheers and top marks Draigun for doing the legwork on this.  For you, much respect and appreciation good sir.

• Draigun and Flifang like this

GGGanjaMan

GGGanjaMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

I think I've always been aware that the Hawken engine was poorly optimized in some way. Everytime I start the game up, my pc fans start going crazy, sounding like a jet, and the temps soar up. I can play other more graphically intensive games without as much load on my system.

I've noticed fps spikes too but have always figured that was due to my pretty outdated pc. Am actually about to build a new pc soon, because an avg of 20-30 fps in most maps just isn't viable for competitive play.

• CraftyDus likes this

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

The predator cloak break hitch is something I had back when I ran a couple AMD 7950's on a phenom 1100

and still observe it with a couple NVidia 970 gtx's on an i7 4770k

It's like it's always going to be there and part of popping cloak is learning to play pred around the game's engine stutter!

Yeah, I continually experience that problem as well. Although I'm only running a single card. Clearly though, it doesn't matter what you run, it's obviously some form of bug in the engine pipeline that causes it.

• CraftyDus likes this

TpsOr7F.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Bump.

Additional footage showing poor game thread? performance.

Spoiler

Spoiler

GPU performance is not the culprit here, as indicated by the graph in the video. Draw performance is also not causing too much resource consumption. However, Game and Frame times are hindering the performance of the game for some unknown reason. Quite possibly a rare bug, although I never encountered this one.

Have a look - https://udn.epicgame...rmanceHome.html

TpsOr7F.png

KaylaClaire

KaylaClaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

i get a teensy tiny stutter when loading a match, it's more so noticeable while I am streaming. My pc is a veritable Behemoth, so I am 95% sure that is is not a hardware issue. unless it has something to do with AMD cards themselves

~*~*~*~The Pink Comet~*~*~*~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stuttering, frame-time delivery, FPS, Unreal Engine 3, G-Sync, Freesync, game engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users