- - - - - fps

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

need help , I used to get a steady 120fps now only getting 60fps since last update !!!!

how do I remove capped fps

needs to be in simple computer terms as my knowledge of software on computers is not brilliant

windows 10

Edited by mattmc05, 31 December 2016 - 03:04 AM.

• nabla_ likes this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
Settings > video >

Make sure CAPPED SMOOTH FRAMERATE is unchecked.
  • Rainbow_Sheep likes this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
 since last update !!!!

i'm start crying when i see this (T_T)

for my own expirience (i don't know why) CAPPED SMOOTH FRAMERATE should be ON. i.e. = 1 in config.
try both variant. play with "capped frame rate = 0", if nothing changes, try "capped frame rate = 1", just change it in graphic settings, and see result.
also, maybe you activate some effects in option, I mean, maybe some effects in options were turned off for you before.

Edited by nepacaka, 31 December 2016 - 06:00 AM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

tried framerate no change and no I haven't changed any settings

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Settings > video >

Make sure CAPPED SMOOTH FRAMERATE is unchecked.

It's backwards misleading in the menu. You need it checked or it will cap at 90fps instead of 120.

OP, go to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config and find hawkenengine.ini

Press ctrl+f and type in MaxSmoothedFrameRate. Make sure each instance you find is MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120.

(Edited to comply with pedantry.)

Edited by wischatesjesus, 31 December 2016 - 04:29 PM.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

It's backwards in the menu. You need it checked or it will cap at 90fps instead of 120.

OP, go to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config and find hawkenengine.ini

Press ctrl+f and type in MaxSmoothedFrameRate. Make sure each instance you find is MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120.

Or 144 if you have the equipment for it.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

tried framerate no change and no I haven't changed any settings

Turn Vsync off.

It's backwards in the menu. You need it checked or it will cap at 90fps instead of 120.

Its not backwards.

Turning it on smooths the frame rate between the two variables, MinSmoothedFrameRate, and MaxSmoothedFrameRate.

Turning it off doesn't, but the engine uses the default hard coded lock of 90 FPS and not the value set in MaxSmoothedFrameRate.

That is the reason why you are able to achieve higher frame rates with it on, than with it off, but it isn't backwards.

• Sriracha_Sauce likes this

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

To the OP, by the way, theres both a Vsync setting in the graphics settings, and inside of Hawken, if either one of those are on, it will cap the framerates at whatever the monitor refresh rate is, which is most likely 60 Hz, or cycles per second in your situation.

Edited by SS396, 09 January 2017 - 12:54 PM.

[DELETED]

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
I have cap smoothed framerate off and get 300+fps :| if I turn it on I get 60 and I've changed the settings in the ini to 144

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I have cap smoothed framerate off and get 300+fps :| if I turn it on I get 60 and I've changed the settings in the ini to 144

I don't really think this is related to the OP's post though, because he indicated that even with bSmoothFrameRate off he didn't get anything different than 60.

Edited by SS396, 31 December 2016 - 10:56 PM.

[DELETED]

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

ok see where you are coming from but how and where do I change it (if I need to)

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

just checked speck on my moniter and it is 60hz 1ms

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

just checked speck on my moniter and it is 60hz 1ms

maybe GPU settings - in windoze, not the game -  are limiting frame rates to refresh rates? i dunno.  

Edited by coldform, 01 January 2017 - 05:20 AM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

What is your monitor ? Is it really 120-144Hz ?

You said me you recently change GFX card, maybe Windows has set up the refresh rate at 60hz, check it in Advanced Adapter Properties in Advanced Display  Parameters.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

ok see where you are coming from but how and where do I change it (if I need to)

I'd help a little bit if you mentioned what brand GPU you have so someone familiar with the software could point you to the exact location.

But anyways, it should be somewhere in the video settings, I know Vsync (vertical sync) is inside the Nvidia control panel under manage 3D settings, but I'm not familiar with where it would be in the AMD software.  I guess you could have Intel graphics too, but it seems unlikely.  

[DELETED]

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Aren't fps one can run subject to what the max Hz specs are of the monitor, no matter what GPU a person has in the system ?

Edited by DieselCat, 01 January 2017 - 12:15 PM.

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Aren't fps one can run subject to what the max Hz specs are of the monitor, no matter what GPU a person has in the system ?

Well, I think thats kinda a tricky question to answer and I think it depends on where you are taking the reading of FPS at.

Theres really nothing preventing the video card from updating the framebuffer faster (or slower) than what a monitor can cycle per second, its just that the image is only updated on the monitor at whatever the hardware refresh rate is.  When this happens (and you are not on a multiple of the monitors refresh rate) you just see partial frame updates on the next redraw, its a condition known as screen tearing.  That is what Vsync is commonly used for to make sure each redraw is synchronized with the monitor refresh.  

So from the observer's final point of view if you run a 60 Hz monitor and run a game at any FPS above 60, your eye is still only seeing 60 cycles per second, even though the FPS inside the game is some other value.  So in a way what you said is true, it doesn't matter what GPU you have.

However, if you take a reading of FPS at the GPU, then it does matter because a higher clocked GPU should output a higher FPS.  That is the fundamental of overclocking.  So at that point, the GPU does matter.

• DieselCat and Nov8tr like this

[DELETED]

ARCH3TYP3

ARCH3TYP3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

A given card can produce far more than what a 60Hz monitor can display, but such a monitor will only refresh 60 times per second. Anything in excess will not be reproduced by the monitor. Tearing also becomes an issue when the card is producing frames at a rate that is "out of sync" with the monitor. V-sync addresses this issue, but causes some lag.

Running a 120 or 144Hz monitor gets past this 60Hz limitation, of course, but some may question if they are really worthwhile investments. In my view, some people will perceive significant benefit, others, not so much.

It's a pretty fascinating topic. 

More reading: http://www.100fps.co..._humans_see.htm

• DieselCat and Nov8tr like this

"Finally, the white knight I deserve. [ARCHETYPE]" -  Amidatelion

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

From my experience, In fast paced fps multiplayer games, going from 60 fps to 100+ fps is a huge improvement.

The other improvement especially in Hawken (because of its fps drops in some maps and circumstances), is using a Gsync of Freesync monitor according to the GFX you have.

I have not tested ULMB yet. (it was said it's better than Gsync if you're above 60/120 fps).

edit : I didn't noticed any difference between Gsync and ULMB but my monitor is a 1ms latency

Edited by FRX23, 02 January 2017 - 02:24 AM.

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

info for help-i7 -4790k 16gb ram msi gtx  1060 monitor benq rl2455hm 60hz 1ms

Edited by mattmc05, 09 January 2017 - 12:39 PM.

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

always had 122 or above before change of graphics card EVERTHING changed on the last hawken update

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

always had 122 or above before change of graphics card EVERTHING changed on the last hawken update

But the last Hawken update was 3 years ago.

This is something to do with you changing from your old card to a new one.

Open Nvidia Control Panel (Right click on an open area on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel), or Geforce Experience if you have it installed and search around for a setting called Vsync (or vertical sync) and turn it off (or try other settings) and save the settings, and test again.

vsync-controlpanel.jpg

You can also try resetting your inis here.

[DELETED]

mattmc05

mattmc05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

YIPPEE SPOT ON fps back to 120-160 thanks for all your help :yes: 

• SS396, DieselCat and DallasCreeper like this

Morquedeas

Morquedeas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Okay so I tried this, and despite having Vsync on in Hawken, I'm getting mad screen tearing.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Okay so I tried this, and despite having Vsync on in Hawken, I'm getting mad screen tearing.

Shouldn't get any screen tearing with vsync on, its supposed to prevent that.  Are you getting higher FPS than what your refresh rate is?

Can you elaborate what you meant by on in Hawken?? as in inside the game settings, or on in the Nvidia Control Panel and theres two areas inside there, global and for each individual game if its setup correctly.

[DELETED]

Morquedeas

Morquedeas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

So originally what I had was vsync on in the Hawken game settings, and on Nvidia control panel it was set to "adaptive", after reading this post some, I changed the Hawken game settings to have vync on, while the Nvidia control panel settings were set to off.  This is what gave me screen tearing, although my fps appeared to be still capped at my monitors fps.

Edit: Okay now what I've done is turn it around and turned of Hawken's Vsync, and turn on the Vsync in Nvidia's control panel.  My fps is normal but drops sometimes, mostly on the "problem maps" which tend to be last eco and prosk.  Any idea which video settings are the most taxing?  Though frankly my rig should be able to run any 5 year old game at max settings with no problem, especially at 60 fps.

Edited by Morquedeas, 09 January 2017 - 10:39 PM.

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

YIPPEE SPOT ON fps back to 120-160 thanks for all your help :yes:

Cool that you finally succeed but honestly i dunno why you want more than 60fps if you monitor is 60Hz.

I think you should enable vsync.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users