Photo

What controller or kb/m setup do you use or prefer?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

As title says, what kind of mouse and or controller have you found works well with hawken? Ive seen some good players with both setups. Any recomendations? 

I use a generic microsoft keyboard and mouse (the original classic ms optical mouse) on a short keyboard tray. I see photos of peoples' setup's with huge broad mousepads and ergo keyboards and wonder how much help the extra mousepad real estate would get me.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Logitech g600 mouse

g930 headset

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Merl is too MLG for a keyboard.

• Merl61, Rajitha, OdinTheWise and 1 other like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Lion_ThunderPants

Lion_ThunderPants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
A large mousepad is amazing. It allows for low sensitivity gameplay while still giving enough room for broad, long mouse-strokes to make up for the sensitivity. Why is this a good thing? In games like Counter Strike, it allows for much more precision control called "Micro-correcting". This is when you need pinpoint, pixel-to-pixel aiming. Hawken doesnt need this on such a scale as CS but its still a good thing to take advantage of. I find it more than necessary to use a large mousepad for Hawken

All that said, I use a mechanical keyboard from the 90s and that mini Logitech mouse that comes with Lenovo laptops

Edited by Lion_ThunderPants, 08 June 2015 - 07:16 PM.

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

mx518

back thumb button=heal

forward thumb button=secondary weapon modifier

some dell office keyboard, it's the best

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I use:

Razer Imperator 2012

Some shitty stock Acer keyboard with no palmrest -.- (I'm getting a Razer keyboard at some point, don't know which)

A stock Acer mouse pad (it isn't all that bad, I'm keeping it)

d9133aa6ec.jpg

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

G500 mouse and G13 gamepad

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (it's finally going but best mouse ever)
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (some cheapo consumer grade stuff but it's comfy and ergonomic and quiet)

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

SteelSeries Sensie RAW wired Laser 5700 dpi mouse

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 keyboard

Sennheiser PC360 Headset

Razer Goliathus mouse mat

All this crap and I still can't shoot straight...... :ohmy: 

But I did get it all on sale...cheap, cheap, cheap.

*+ 

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
G100 KB
G100s mousemouse on a steel series 10 in soft pad.

Edited by {TDM} coldform, 08 June 2015 - 08:20 PM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I use a joystick for control rather than keyboard. It might put me at a slight disadvantage in regards to input lag, however, I conclude that my keyboard mashing put me at a much bigger disadvantage, and joysticks are fun.

Mouse for aim and shoot, which is a razer deathadder. Not because its a deathadder, it was on special and had a thumb button that my previous mouse was lacking.

EDIT: I got my brother into hawken and he also found that keyboard didn't feel right for him. After trying with my joystick he had much more fun. The controls suddenly seemed more intuitive to him (as they had for me). I gave him a hawken mech bundle and joystick for his birthday as I knew he liked it but wouldn't justify the cost otherwise.

Edited by 6ixxer, 08 June 2015 - 08:49 PM.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Merl is too MLG for a keyboard.

What's that?

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

SS Kana v2 (I feel it's worse than the g400 I had before, rip in peas sweet prince). It's white, switching DPI is easy and it's got a LED indicator.

Rosewill RK-9000BRI, a white mechanical keyboard with black keys, one of the cheapest on the market. It's really good for typing but as far as gaming goes, it doesn't offer any advantage. Instills fear onto teammates who think I'm slaughtering my keyboard.

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate with Logitech G502 

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Mouse: Logitech G9

Keyboard: Razor Lycosa (Scissor Switch)

Pad: Your mom's place. (Star Citizen Aegis Dynamics pad - special edition Razor Goliathus Control)

• CraftyDus likes this

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I play with a razer DA on a SS qck+ pad. Yes large mousepads are amazing and worth the investment and desk real estate. Keyboard is some generic poop board, nothing worth mentioning.

Though I've always wanted to get super high and play hawken with like two joy sticks and foot pedals. That would be sick. Accepting donations to the MASSIVE IMMERSIVE EXTRAVAGANZA if you would like to make this a reality.

• Kopra likes this

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

I play with a razer DA on a SS qck+ pad. Yes large mousepads are amazing and worth the investment and desk real estate. Keyboard is some generic poop board, nothing worth mentioning.

Though I've always wanted to get super high and play hawken with like two joy sticks and foot pedals. That would be sick. Accepting donations to the MASSIVE IMMERSIVE EXTRAVAGANZA if you would like to make this a reality.

This would be lovely to at least try out.

IronRoach

IronRoach

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

basic stuff. THIS is what I want for Christmas:

OxQbwEQ.jpg

yeah, fat chance. :no:

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

- Roccat KONE:

Got it from a relative of mine for free, since he got a new mouse.

- Random mousepad:

It's 26cm wide and a bit torn up and loose at places, but it's better than my table surface.

I also don't use the right-most ~5cm of it. (I used to use a paper map as a mousepad, this is way better.)

- Cheapest Dell keyboard I could find:

No palmrest, no mechanical switches, no anti-ghosting nor all those other features.

• CraftyDus likes this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I used to use a paper map as a mousepad

memecenter_1391896158953_443_zpsbd6c572c

d9133aa6ec.jpg

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Every time I've posted this people are always like "WHA?  How's that work?"  It works great.  My hands cramp up when trying to use the keyboard to navigate and not only does this let me play longer, I went from a 1700 avg MMR to a 2000 avg MMR in a couple of weeks after I switched to it.

In my left hand, I hold the left half of a controller set up like this:

0GW3Bj6.jpg

In my right hand, this:

gLlIz3y.jpg

• eth0, CraftyDus and TangledMantis like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

perixx 1000 xxl    1 1/2 ' x 3 ' pad, covers most of my desk

Spoiler

mouse: razer naga 2012's (the naga 2014's and newer are much, much different)

Spoiler

my grip is thumb, ring, and pinky finger (not palm)

Spoiler

black widow ulti keyboards with the cherry blues (clicky switches) 

my second board is a newer ulti with the "orange" switches (identical to cherry browns)

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Every time I've posted this people are always like "WHA?  How's that work?"  It works great.  My hands cramp up when trying to use the keyboard to navigate and not only does this let me play longer, I went from a 1700 avg MMR to a 2000 avg MMR in a couple of weeks after I switched to it.

0GW3Bj6.jpg

In my right hand, this:

gLlIz3y.jpg

thats all sorts of cool

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

0GW3Bj6.jpg

In my right hand, this:

gLlIz3y.jpg

I havent used any sony controllers in a while. Did they go to USB or are you using some sort of converter like what radio shack used to sell?

Fureur

Fureur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all. Everybody goes X0000 dpi techno hyped mouse... Well... Hawken is my first ever played FPS and PC gaming... and I must be the only one who plays Hawken with an "old" Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro Gamepad (via xpadder): I aim with its gyro fonction enabled.

So fun and intuitive. My horrible stats come more from bad positionning than aiming problem... Anyway, the boost forward button is nearly broken...

I don't want to learn playing with KBD Mouse... and don't need to break my pristine keyboard when raging... I'm waiting for the new Upcoming (october) Steam Controller to replace it!

01_controller.jpg

Edited by Fureur, 14 July 2015 - 09:18 AM.

Humanity is an Escape Attempt.

34sl3rq.jpg

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Hi all. Everybody goes X0000 dpi techno hyped mouse... Well... Hawken is my first ever played FPS and PC gaming... and I must be the only one who plays Hawken with an "old" Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro Gamepad (via xpadder): I aim with its gyro fonction enabled. So fun and intuitive. My horrible stats come more from bad positionning than aiming problem... Anyway, the boost forward button is nearly broken... I don't want to learn playing with KBD Mouse... and don't need to break my pristine keyboard when raging... I'm waiting for the new Upcoming (october) Steam Controller to replace it!

I started playing hawken with a POS compac kb/m that I lifted from the PC shop I used to work at - it was a used set that came in with someone's PC that was being replaced - popped caps on the mobo means selling a new pc, with a new KB/m.

If I were to attempt to turn too quickly, the mouse would only track halfway, and then jitter in circles. Very annoying.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

Gangland

Gangland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Gotta pay to play!!

caduceus26

caduceus26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Kinda late to the discussion but I'm all Razer:

Black Widow 2013 KB

Naga Elite MMO Gaming mouse

Tiamat 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

I really like the hardware but not too crazy about the Synapse 2.0 configuration software.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

{etc}

You'll never be much more MLG without a holo emote button.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

perixx 1000 xxl    1 1/2 ' x 3 ' pad, covers most of my desk

Spoiler

mouse: razer naga 2012's (the naga 2014's and newer are much, much different)

Spoiler

my grip is thumb, ring, and pinky finger (not palm)

Spoiler

black widow ulti keyboards with the cherry blues (clicky switches) 

my second board is a newer ulti with the "orange" switches (identical to cherry browns)

That mousepad is hot stuff. I'd like to get a similar set up going so I can flail my arm around for full wingspan swipes, but with 4 cats and 2 dogs it's hard to keep hair off that much pad.

I used to use a 2012 naga. It baffles me how some people don't understand how insanely beneficial it can be to have that many resources available to your thumb. My config philosophy has always been to take my fingers off the movement keys as little as possible, so the naga is just super clutch in games where you have anywhere from 4-10 guns to choose from at any time, or any other number of non movement actions.

Though I will say that the tracking was noticeably worse than on my DA or my logitech Gsomethingsomething. That was with the 2012, I can't speak for the 2014, and maybe mine was just poop.

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I use an old Alienware TactX mouse, and a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard

I also have a make-shift headset from an old pair of Sony headphones held together with duct tape and a $2 microphone from eBay. Will post actual pics when I get home from work.

Alienware-tactx-keyboard-and-mouse_2.jpg

1312122286_main_SteelSeries_Merc_Stealth

Edited by WillyW, 09 June 2015 - 10:20 AM.

2XhpJes.png

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Started using this $8 Sharkk mouse that Poopslinger told me about and it is just awesome: Buy it, it is $8 fuzzy bunnyng bucks. DPI set to 500.

Mouse mat is a Corsair MM200 XL, 17.72" x 14.76" (soft mat).

And for keyboard I use a Corsair K70 with Cherry Reds.

Edited by (thc)_incitatus, 09 June 2015 - 10:36 AM.

• PoopSlinger and CraftyDus like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

I use an old Alienware TactX mouse, and a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard

I also have a make-shift headset from an old pair of Sony headphones held together with duct tape and a $2 microphone from eBay. Will post actual pics when I get home from work.

Alienware-tactx-keyboard-and-mouse_2.jpg

1312122286_main_SteelSeries_Merc_Stealth

that keyboard's game section is the spitting image of my old z-boards

23560_l.jpg

• WillyW likes this

lwY3QRd.jpg

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I havent used any sony controllers in a while. Did they go to USB or are you using some sort of converter like what radio shack used to sell?

I bought a USB adapter on Amazon.  This was after a negative experience with a couple of software emulators which caused both problems with the Unreal engine and turned out to be spyware and adware agents.

This is what I bought:  http://www.amazon.co...ords=ps3 to usb  but I only paid $11 for it at the time.  It works flawlessly and allows me to switch between it recognizing a PS controller, XBox controller or PC controller.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

You'll never be much more MLG without a holo emote button.

I can still press "H" on the keyboard or "G" on the keyboard to holo-emote and taunt.  I could probably even take a moment and map them to one of the many redundant buttons I created - like left and right on the D-pad.  Think I'll do that tonight, even though I just don't care much about taunting people online.

If they made the Holo-emotes so that they stuck to other players.  I'd use them all the time if I could sneak up to another player and drop one on their mechs head so it's sitting there while they run around in battle... it might even be making a funny sound.

manthi

manthi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I use a joystick for control rather than keyboard.

what joystick do you use, i ordered the thrustmaster t16000 m (still waiting for delivery) i hate the keyboard for control , i find it difficult to dodge

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Logitech g500, though it's worth noting I used an mx300 for 9 years until it failed and I managed to get to 2500 mmr with it.

Early 90s HP keyboard, covered in smudges and small burns from lit cherries and sporting a full head of hair under the keys.  The clack is melodious and unbeatable by any modern KB, and it functions as well as the day I got it with my very first rig, a 120mhz monster with a turbo button that just could not handle 12 protoss carriers with fighters on screen at once.

Edited by &THC& comic_sans, 09 June 2015 - 11:28 AM.

• PoopSlinger, coldform, ticklemyiguana and 1 other like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

sporting a full head of hair under the keys

ROFL
+ALL THE LIKES

Edited by {TDM} coldform, 09 June 2015 - 01:54 PM.

• PoopSlinger and CraftyDus like this

z6aJAX7.png?1

HepTagoN

HepTagoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

That escalated quickly... and i'm just sitting here with Activejet AMY-001 for 10 euro/$ and... wait for it... THIRTEEN (+-1) YEARS OLD keyboard.

NO SINGLE KEY IS BROKEN. Except media panel which i dont use (no need and no drivers for XP/7 i think).

When i was moving out from my parents, i bought them new keyboard and took old one with me xD

Mouse chosen because of its size, i like them big, aaand thats all, idk why i should care about those DPI.

Btw i'm fresh enginieer so i'm supposed to draw CAD stuff etc, no problem at all with that mouse, if u ask.

And 2400+ EU MMR, which isnt so bad, isnt it

Headset-Creative Fatality

PS. 13 years - time of use this particular one, not time  they have started produce this model

212101_0_f.jpg193198549_1_644x461_klaviatura-s-multime

Edited by HepTagoN, 09 June 2015 - 02:21 PM.

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Headset-Creative Fatality

My good lord, that headset. I salvaged the mic from it and strapped it onto my AKG's with velcro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users