• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Da_Noobinator

Da_Noobinator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

TL;DR - read title.

So I just unlocked my first Heavy, my brand new G2 Raider.

And, frankly, I'm not all that good at it :P He's extremely slow (I think he boosts slower than the Brawler :P Incidentally that makes his boost almost the same speed as the Tech's walk :P  ), for a Heavy he doesn't have much armour, his ability drains all his fuel and doesn't last long (and I think it makes you show up on the radar despite not boosting), his fuel regen is pretty poor (actually quite important as the duration of his ability is dependant on fuel, a bit like the Infiltrator's)... on the plus side he has an awesome radar range, massive fuel tank, short ability cooldown and great short range weapons. He also looks like a badass and that crashing sound he makes when leaping from tall buildings onto the ground is epic as hell. But I just can't seem to make use of his strengths with his poor speed. It's a bit difficult when you can't outrun a Vanguard in turret mode.

Despite all this he's a bucket of fun and I love him :) It really is awesome to sprint around as a Heavy :P I'm sure I'm simply doing it wrong so I'm wondering if there are any obvious tips I can quickly apply. I asked around in game and I got back a few replies of, "Don't miss," which I thought was great advice.

I haven't unlocked any items or internals for him yet, but I guess that fuel converter thingy might actually be pretty good on him?

After a few rounds I tried out the Vanguard (he's on free test run this week), and immediately did a lot better... The two mechs are obviously completely different so comparing them isn't too fair, but I really did notice the movement speed difference. Mind, Hawken comes across to me as a very well balanced game, so I'm sure there's a way to play the G2 Raider just as well as any other mech :)

Obviously it's a matter of experience, but in the mean time, pro tips pls?

Edited by Da_Noobinator, 20 June 2015 - 05:39 AM.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Gobble Gobble

• DisorderlyMechanic likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Credit goes to SoldierHobbes11 for both of these.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous, DisorderlyMechanic and 2 others like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Well... your first heavy just happened to be the hardest to use. I have it too and I can barely use it (I'm not good at FPS games, let alone mouse and keyboard FPS games).

But fighting against a good G2R in close quarters? Terrifying.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

TL;DR - read title.

And, frankly, I'm not all that good at it :P He's extremely slow (I think he boosts slower than the Brawler :P Incidentally that makes his boost almost the same speed as the Tech's walk :P  ), for a Heavy he doesn't have much armour, his ability drains all his fuel and doesn't last long (and I think it makes you show up on the radar despite not boosting), his fuel regen is pretty poor (actually quite important as the duration of his ability is dependant on fuel, a bit like the Infiltrator's)... on the plus side he has an awesome radar range, massive fuel tank, short ability cooldown and great short range weapons. He also looks like a badass and that crashing sound he makes when leaping from tall buildings onto the ground is epic as hell. But I just can't seem to make use of his strengths with his poor speed. It's a bit difficult when you can't outrun a Vanguard in turret mode.

Despite all this he's a bucket of fun and I love him :) It really is awesome to sprint around as a Heavy :P I'm sure I'm simply doing it wrong so I'm wondering if there are any obvious tips I can quickly apply. I asked around in game and I got back a few replies of, "Don't miss," which I thought was great advice.

I haven't unlocked any items or internals for him yet, but I guess that fuel converter thingy might actually be pretty good on him?

After a few rounds I tried out the Vanguard (he's on free test run this week), and immediately did a lot better... The two mechs are obviously completely different so comparing them isn't too fair, but I really did notice the movement speed difference. Mind, Hawken comes across to me as a very well balanced game, so I'm sure there's a way to play the G2 Raider just as well as any other mech :)

Obviously it's a matter of experience, but in the mean time, pro tips pls?

Fat Raider has a high skill floor. He's a lighter, slower C-Class with fantastic close range burst. With some practice the KLA will let you poke a bit at long range, but make sure it's a long range - 4.5 seconds reload time is a long ass time to be without your secondary.

Generally you work as a rush-down assassin like a Raider or Berzerker, but unlike those, unless you are extremely skilled with the G2R, you need to go after already-low enemies. Now, already low can mean an A-class at 80% HP because of your insane burst, but they do need to be damaged, because you do not want a prolonged engagement. Blitz in, get your kill, blitz out. You'll see scrublords like ThirdEye, Poopslinger and Fliffang having long, drawn out engagements with the G2R, but that's because each of them has at least three in their goddamn garage and they basically main it. You won't have that skill out the gate so focus on hit and runs.

Internals to use include fuel converter, power surger, maybe evasive device and some manner of healing. Items to consider are EMPs, dets and shields. Good shield play with a Battle Turkey is fuzzy bunnyng terrifying because they will basically engage you in the open, on their terms and only be exposed when their stupid good burst is up. Orbs are good if you've got some manner of orblord set-up, but honestly, the Battle Turkey is so reliant on speed it makes sense to focus on that. Note that as you don't have a boost-blitz like the Raider, deflectors are less useful.

• Bergwein and Jelooboi like this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

those vids up there are your schooling. you are driving one of the meanest, nastiest, horror stories in Hawken.

the caveat: it's a glass howitzer.  you can't miss. against an equal skilled pilot, 2 misses in a row and you are dead.

also, until you have a good grip on it, start by being a sneaky bastrid. ambush is the name of the game. work on what's referred to as "PeekABoo".

spend some time with friends in Co-op bot TDM, sharpen up without destroying your MMR, gain a little HC/XP, and then when you feel you Got It, unleash your beast! :thumbsup:

yeh. i like G2R.

edit: also, use the MIRV mode on the kla when you do your Face Huggy ambushes. watch an infiltrator melt, or a Tech vaporize. might take 2 punches with the T32 Bolt to burp a Zerk.  Extractor, Basic Failsafe, Advanced Armor Fusor (135 hp/20secs/kill, 67hp/20secs/assist), Mk2 Detonator, Mk2 Repair Charge. Just a suggestion, do whatever feels right--i have several G2Rs with builds for different maps/game modes. that way, if i get that "Uh Oh...wrong mech" feeling, i'm not stuck with it until the next match.

Edited by em1o, 20 June 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

You have to have near perfect accuracy with the mech. When you use blitz, practice walking backwards past enemies and just weaving in and out around them. Always use some sort of fuel converter on it. When I have more time i'll post more info. If I can get them to, I might just want poop and Jeloo to collab a G2 raider guide for the forums with me.

• Jelooboi likes this

Da_Noobinator

Da_Noobinator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

@LaurenEmily

Cheers, I forgot about SoldierHobbes' videos! I generally don't much like guides against AI, but there were some solid tips in there and that second gameplay video against players was particularly helpful :) He mentioned that you can run around with G2 blitz activated and not show up on the radar... can anyone confirm this? I had an enemy in game tell me that it does make you show up on the radar.

@Panzermanathod

I don't consider myself particularly experienced at FPS games either, nor do I really prefer the FPS genre in general, but as I'm sure you'll agree one doesn't have to be experienced at a game to enjoy it :) 

@Amidatelion

Thanks for the advice. I often find myself running out of fuel during Blitz halfway through an engagement, but I suppose, in such a slow mech, environmental awareness and tactical positioning is more important than ever (not that it's ever unimportant).

I didn't think of using shields until I saw SoldierHobbes' video, but after what you said I'll definitely have to try it out. I guess it does make a lot of sense given the close range nature of the mech.

One strength of the mech that I really noticed was the short cooldown on G2 blitz... I was thinking of taking the internal that decreases cooldown time every kill/assist in an attempt to ensure it's almost always available.

Also, "Battle Turkey" is an epic name for the G2 Raider :P

@Elite

Only after reading Amidatelion's comment did I have any clue as to the relevance of what you were saying :P

@em1o

Haha unfortunately telling me that I can't miss generally doesn't work, but I can see that accuracy for the MIRV and charged Bolt is certainly a lot more important than ever.

I really don't mind practicing against real players, though. I don't care for MMR (I don't even know how to check it, let alone what mine actually is), and really don't mind if it goes up or down or left or right. I don't particularly care whether it's my mech or the enemy's mech that ends up blowing up, so long as I get to see a mech blowing up ;) However, I do feel that practicing against real people is generally more effective (although I can understand why someone who actually cares about MMR would practice against bots). Obviously I have an appreciation for playing more effectively, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread, I guess I'm just not terribly interested in a way to rank people (or, specifically, participate in the ranking) with numbers.

Cheers for the tips though :) That Advanced Armour Fusor looks like a really good idea, now that I think about it! I definitely don't have the HC to buy multiple of one mech though haha :P

@Flifang

Cheers, I'll definitely have to look into that fuel converter. Mind, I just spent all my HC on this mech so it will have to wait a little while haha. And I'll always be up to watch more guides if you guys create them :)

Thanks everyone for the replies, they're all much appreciated!

Edited by Da_Noobinator, 20 June 2015 - 08:45 PM.

• Bergwein likes this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

@LaurenEmily
 He mentioned that you can run around with G2 blitz activated and not show up on the radar... can anyone confirm this?

This is unfortunately not true. I think it was not intended to be this way, but using the ability does in fact make you visible on radar.

I was thinking of taking the internal that decreases cooldown time every kill/assist in an attempt to ensure it's almost always available.

This is prolly not the most useful internal to have on this mech considering the fact that it only works when your ability is on cooldown and if you play it correctly you will do most of your killing with the ability activated thus making it a wasted 3-slot internal. This is however just my opinion, do whatever you like, it's good to try out different setups i think.

However the most popular & prolly the most effective one is with Evasive Device, Fuel Converter & Power Surger. Basically it makes you run faster & Blitz longer which makes up for the mech's horrendous walk speed pretty nicely.
  • Kopra, Bergwein and Da_Noobinator like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

MacTep_6oT

MacTep_6oT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

G2 R  is good vicious massively cool mech.  don't play in USA in rooms with colored people or Slave nut cases. Buncha fuzzy bunnynWierdos. ' Few live here.

But beside that you already knew that............other than that Welcome. they would not understand Ukraine perspective difficulties. and really, they don't hav a Clue

Bless Mother Russia.

Edited by ?????? ???, 20 June 2015 - 11:00 PM.

• molonkey and like this

mjU56gg.jpg

Da_Noobinator

Da_Noobinator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Well Mactep thank you for your input but I think it's important to remember that this is just a game and it shouldn't influence your judgement of other individuals in a negative way. I find that negativity in general is already too much of a plague over any medium of communication that isn't in person. I don't think that anyone is 'weird' per se - every individual has something about them that another individual won't be able to empathise with due to lack of experience. I think the best thing to remember is to be positive.

More on point, I'm sure I'll find out the viciousness of the G2 Raider soon enough! :D

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Gotta admit, I only ever play Deathmatch with my G2-Raider. Duels with corner play are what this thing excels at.

I mean you can almost one-shot a Scout. :wub:

Spoiler

Shields are your best friends. I also use MK2 Scanners to compensate for the G2's inability to maneuver itself out of a bad position.

If you think Scanners are evil, which is perfectly reasonable, go for orbs. Just because orbs are the most stupidly powerful item in this game. :)

The area around Silo 2 & 3 on Wreckage, the labyrinth-like structure on Facility and any AA point are where I feel at home with this mech.

• KarlSchlag, Jelooboi and Da_Noobinator like this

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
---

Edited by (KDR) KarlSchlag, 06 July 2015 - 06:30 AM.

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

... If you think Scanners are evil, which is perfectly reasonable, go for orbs. Just because orbs are the most stupidly powerful item in this game. :)...

I read that and rebuilt my Replenisher G2 Raider (which is total bullshed btw) into a tadaaa!

Spoiler

- Orblord G2 Raider
XD

Edited by (KDR) KarlSchlag, 06 July 2015 - 06:31 AM.

• Meraple, LaurenEmily and Bergwein like this

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

Spoiler

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

This is unfortunately not true. I think it was not intended to be this way, but using the ability does in fact make you visible on radar.

Confirmed :/
Needs to be fixed

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

Spoiler

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

XD

Praise the orblord!

Spoiler

• KarlSchlag likes this

JesusHatesWisc

JesusHatesWisc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Set up your mech with Power Surger, Evasive Device and fuel converter.  Equip 3x H.E. Charge and item regenerator. 

Easy G2Raider Fighting in 3 steps

1.  You're best bet is to stick with a team semi-close to the frontline of the battle.  Staying near the fight is important to step 3.

2.  Spam grenade mode shots until you can steal a kill and active power surger.

3.  Use you're newfound speed to rush the other team.  Due to immense enemy fire and evasive device you will have a few seconds of super fast speed to dipsy-doodle around throwing H.E. Charges at their face.

lwY3QRd.jpg

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Only use your secondary if you can guarantee a hit (surprise attack) and after your opponent dodges. There is a 1-2 second time frame where your opponent can't dodge or anything after they dodge, you if change your play style to only shoot after they dodge, you will kill a hell of alot of players. Charge your Xt-bolt at all times until you shoot at an enemy, after that spam the xt-bolt to make your enemy have to dodge, then you hit them with your Xt-corsair. Then dance on there corpse as you have just figured out how to use the G2 affectively..... You know you've done it right when people start accuseing you of being a hacker... :thumbsup: Have fun.

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

It takes time. I have like 300 hours on it now. The weapons are also really reliant on ping. You'll notice that the corsair in shotgun mode isn't perfectly hitscan which I find quite annoying especially trying to hit zerkers so you have to compensate a tad bit when hitting moving opponents because I don't wait for them to stop dodging, just shoot their ass in the face and end whatever dumb dance they're doing. 

It's all about precision. landing the KLA is hard but at least it isn't some stupid easy mid air detonation like the grenade and tow, like seriously screw the meta. 

It just takes a long time to get use to but nobody else besides a few pilots have the patience to pilot it. A lot of people play the meta just to win, I played G2R for the challenge. It's fun though trust me. 

• Bergwein and Flifang like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users