• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Right, so at school I often find myself with short breaks, maybe 5-10 min, and only barely find the time to read and formulate a decent comment to a thread. In particular the stories in the art & media section.

I would like to suggest a button to store the thread temporarily, like the watch later list on YT. That would allow us to skim through a thread or story, choose whether or not to react to it at a later time, or when an opinion has been formed.

Listen to me talking all formal and shiz.

Anyway, would that be possible with the forum software? It would be nicer than constantly keeping tabs open, clogging up the work.

• crockrocket, MaNia_C, Erzunterweltler and 1 other like this

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

As far as I know, it doesn't exist. I have not seen any plugins or simple mods. This would be a custom plugin that would have to be programmed.

• Dr_Freeze001 likes this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

+1

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Would the notification system not work, where it can be configured to send you an email of the new post?

I'm kind of confused on the "store the thread temporarily" bit as threads don't have an expiration date... :tongue:

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

its gooth idea  :thumbsup:

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

If you subscribe to that thread, its someone like a read later as well

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Would the notification system not work, where it can be configured to send you an email of the new post?

I'm kind of confused on the "store the thread temporarily" bit as threads don't have an expiration date... :tongue:

An example:

"Oh boy oh boy a new thread! I can't wait to read all the things! Oh no, I gotta pay attention otherwise my bright and awesome future will be ruined! Lemme just click the handy-dandy 'Read Later' button and get back to work."

An unspecified period of time passes.

"Wow, that was super educational and fun! Now, what was I gonna read again? Lemme just check my 'Read Later' list and.... Ah yes, 'Herken: all the things', lemme click on it and be redirected to the thread."

This would also be handy in a situation where you're all like: "Oh gosh, oh jeez, all these topics that were posted but I only have so many eyes! Well, I'll just click those "Read Later" buttons and have a nice list I can work my way through one by one."

It's not the notification for replies to posts, it's some way of putting a thread in a list.

If you subscribe to that thread, its someone like a read later as well

Subscribing to a thread is fine, but it won't show whether you've already read it or not. Following threads is more to get notification when a reply is added, less for managing which ones you have and haven't read.

KkaQ7HY.png

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Well there is this: https://community.pl...owedItemsOnly=0

It shows what you have not read and you can always bookmark it for later if the change is not able to implamented. Its currently what I do from work. Firefox + Sync = Awesomesauce

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Oh, I think I see what you are referring to.

The same effect can be obtained by turning on subscriptions to a subforum itself, where it will email you new threads as they appear.

It's probably not as nice as your idea, but it has the same effect, I think, just delete the email as you read the thread.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Well there is this: https://community.pl...owedItemsOnly=0

It shows what you have not read and you can always bookmark it for later if the change is not able to implemented. Its currently what I do from work. Firefox + Sync = Awesomesauce

Thanks for the info, I'll look into using it. See if it can work as a make-shift "To Read" list.

KkaQ7HY.png

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Oh, I think I see what you are referring to.

The same effect can be obtained by turning on subscriptions to a subforum itself, where it will email you new threads as they appear.

It's probably not as nice as your idea, but it has the same effect, I think, just delete the email as you read the thread.

Well, might as well leave the tabs open then. Bookmark the threads in a folder called "To Read". 

Point was to make it more user friendly, get a one-click-add / one-click-remove system. Keep the threads on the forum. And using the e-mail service would defeat this point. I'm trying not to get every thread automatically, which would just be the same as going to that sub-forum and sorting through it, same as I do now.

Still, thanks for the effort.

KkaQ7HY.png

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Well, might as well leave the tabs open then. Bookmark the threads in a folder called "To Read". 

Point was to make it more user friendly, get a one-click-add / one-click-remove system. Keep the threads on the forum. And using the e-mail service would defeat this point. I'm trying not to get every thread automatically, which would just be the same as going to that sub-forum and sorting through it, same as I do now.

Still, thanks for the effort.

Most welcome. I had the same suggestion my forums and I wasnt willing to pay the money to get it coded. So this was the suggestion I pulled up for my users. So far no complaints. So it must be doing something right :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestion, forum, read later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users