Photo

why not another secondary weapon for each mech?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

BigBear_2

BigBear_2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

For example: The Berzerker is equipped with TOW, but when we reached level 6 mech with this, one should be able to buy a secondary weapon "prestige" as the grenade launcher or any other secondary weapon present on other mechs. after I do not really know which weapons are best for mechs (as we do not put Hellfire everywhere xD)

Give me your opinion :)

BigBear_2, over.

• Bergwein likes this

SandSpider2

SandSpider2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Would be hard to balance.

• Miscellaneous, Odinous, Erzunterweltler and 5 others like this

SandSpiderBanner%207_zpsf0vtqnox.png

The Atlas Of Illal https://community.pl...atlas-of-illal/

Illal Maps and Information https://community.pl...nd-information/
An Interview With Laila https://community.pl...iew-with-laila/

The Quarantine of Illal https://community.pl...ntine-of-illal/

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

RGR BigBear, Copy That.

Trouble is the secondary largely defines each mech with little else besides size, hp, and special ability to distinguish each one.

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

A zerker with a GL? Yes please<3

• EM1O and KOS_Baconman like this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

RGR BigBear, Copy That.

Trouble is the secondary largely defines each mech with little else besides size, hp, and special ability to distinguish each one.

Nice idea.

But Crafty is right. Imagine:

What other weapon could you put on an Incin? Or a Pred? Or a Raider? etc, etc, ...

Though I have to admit, so many TOW-mechs are kinda boring. :)

Edited by (KDR) Bergwein, 10 July 2015 - 05:06 AM.

• EM1O likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Hypothetically, in some instances there would need to be several unique secondaries.

But, really, I'm not entirely sure Hawken, as it is right now, can really do changable secondaries without some balance issues.

• EM1O likes this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Balance issues aside, it would be fun to see what new "ideal" power-configuration loadouts the 'leet fleet would settle into. Then a balancing could be done on these weapons, armor values, and TTK.

It would be a cheap, low cost in manhours and coding, and utilize stuff that already essentially is in the game build. But you would have to be cautious, as a GL on a Zerk? That's essentially a high-speed flying super-powered-hit Infiltrator. OP from the launch. All major base changes are dreams and blab right now anyway, and we all know it, but this is an interesting proposal.

As for me? I'd snatch that sucker up in a heart-beat! O yeh!

:yes:

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

VULCAN GREN WITH A TOW!

Spoiler

• KarlSchlag, nepacaka and Bazookagofer like this

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Back in early alpha, ADH did allow the secondary weapon to be switched out (I'm pretty sure the code is still there as the match stats does have a section for favorite secondary, just hidden)...

It ended up being a nightmare to balance and players quickly min/maxed it to find the 'optimal' configuration, quite like what we had with the Ascension update and the badly done tuning system.

• comic_sans likes this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

VULCAN GREN WITH A TOW!

Blasphemy! Get the torches & pitchfolks! We all kinow Gren should have a KLA-XT with a 1 second cooldown!!! WOOT

i mean, after all, if we're gonna be stupid-sooper-power OP, let's do it right! 

i'd buy one of these AND a 'nade Zerker (with a Vulcan + ballistic barage, an A-Class G2 Grenadier. Concept!)

Edited by em1o, 10 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Guys... what insanity are you drinking when you suggest that a Grenadier shouldn't have grenades?

Unless the Grenadier was a super busty cowgirl with skills with a six shooter. http://1.bp.blogspot...0/Grenadier.jpg

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

My thought is that the CT-Recruit need some changes, make it with only the AR as primary and alternate /prestige change its secondary : TOW / Hellfire / GL

• PsychedelicGrass likes this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
Yea, other secondaries would be nice. But introduce modified versions of the weapons, no switching because everyone would use a TOW then.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I wouldn't. TOW is one of my least favorite weapons and, I admit, I kinda regret purchasing the Berzerker because it has a TOW.

Not saying TOW is bad... I just... really don't care for it. Only TOW users I have is the Assault I never use, the CR-T I never use, and the Berzerker which I'll probably use for a bit more until I get enough money for a Scout.

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I wouldn't. TOW is one of my least favorite weapons and, I admit, I kinda regret purchasing the Berzerker because it has a TOW.

Not saying TOW is bad... I just... really don't care for it. Only TOW users I have is the Assault I never use, the CR-T I never use, and the Berzerker which I'll probably use for a bit more until I get enough money for a Scout.

Try it on heat scout.  You'll learn to love the pairing.

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Would be hard to balance.

Maybe, but

Not everything needs to be balanced if you isolate it from ranked games.

We could even create mechs, with whatever primary and secondary weapon
combinations on any mech and take those mechs only to PVE games or unranked PVP games
and balancing the weapons wouldn't matter imo.

Could be fun.

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAWKEN ---> hawken ---> hawken ---> RIP 2017

Hawken gameplay and funky fragmontages: Hawken playlist

Buy Free Mechs for 1234 $, NO SCAM, Babaji Approves

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

We could even create mechs, with whatever primary and secondary weapon
combinations on any mech and take those mechs only to PVE games or unranked PVP games
and balancing the weapons wouldn't matter imo.

Could be fun.

You say that, but the mechs are, in most cases, generally too specialized to do full customizations like that. 

Balance matters in competitive gameplay. It offers more choices instead of people trying to keep to specific setups, moreso than what's happening now.

If this was, say, Armored Core I'd be more inclined to agree with your customization. But it's really not. With obvious classes in the game getting too mix and match happy will dilute the experience.

Plus, in before Pred-sniper.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I think, with lots of testing/balancing, and a very limited selection of unlockable secondaries for each mech (For reals, like each mech should only get one other secondary), this could be awesome. I also feel like the extra secondary should be something that's maybe a bit counter-intuitive for each mech, to promote a different playstyle (i.e. mechs that already have TOWs should not just be able to swap them out for grenade launchers).

Like Crafty said, though, mechs are currently pretty much defined by their secondary weapons and special abilities; Mixing that up would homogenize the mechs too much. The other problem is that there are too few secondaries to choose from currently - Most mechs either have TOWs or GLs. The other secondaries are specialized and specifically-designed for the mechs they're on (KLA, SAARE, HELIX, etc.), and it'd be pretty goofy to see those on any other mechs (Especially the tech's weapon, obviously).

So... I want to like this idea, I just don't think it'll work in Hawken's current form.

...What we REALLY need is simple: A new mech, with a brand new secondary. I vote for that lightning gun thingy.

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 15 July 2015 - 11:31 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Or what if you could get "primary secondary" as a prestige? One of primary weapons already present on every mech as a secondary? Double rev-gl grenadier? Double heat scout? Double fuzzy everything!

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

G3 Assault: Double TOWs.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

G3 Assault: Double TOWs.

*Two TOWs, Two vulcans.

• Meraple and DeeRax like this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Balance matters in competitive gameplay. It offers more choices instead of people trying to keep to specific setups, moreso than what's happening now.

You didn't read carefully.

There won't be an option to take these "special mechs" to ranked games. 

It can only be used in PVE and unranked PVP matches.

If you want competition, ranked servers would be the place to go where you

won't be playing against these "special mechs". 

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAWKEN ---> hawken ---> hawken ---> RIP 2017

Hawken gameplay and funky fragmontages: Hawken playlist

Buy Free Mechs for 1234 $, NO SCAM, Babaji Approves

DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I'm pretty sure some semblance of balance still matters to players in non-competitive 'unranked' settings. People like to play to their preference, not be forced to follow the current trend or be left in the dust. In PvE settings players want to be involved in the fighting, not watching as someone in the current OP build mops up all enemies singlehandedly. In PvP, if you aren't playing the strongest setup you're just hurting your own chances, and in my experience even in unranked settings people still like to win.

If swappable secondaries aren't balanced, everyone will be running around in the best combo. If the goal of switching secondaries is more variety it has to be carefully balanced to actually achieve that. That's something that was tried in the past and obviously was found not to work since it's not here anymore.

It's kind of a pointless discussion anyway, since capnjosh already said outright that Reloaded aren't going to be making any more large changes to the core gameplay.
  • CounterlogicMan likes this

Hawken gameplay

TPG Playlists -- Season 2 | Season 3

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

While I did forget that, my comment still stands. And, besides, "unranked" matches aren't always not-competitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users