• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

So I was going to ask Ashfire about this in #hawkenscrim but I figure it's of more broad interest than just me and those losers.

It seems that there are more and more games that are either not supporting account name changes or actively rolling them back. World of Warships used to have it for a hefty price, but now they only allow it under specific circumstances. Many others straight up don't allow it, including, officially at least, Hawken.

Is there a reason for this, infrastructurally or is it, in Hawken's case at least, a manpower issue?

Because sure, Hawken devs have better things to do than dig account info all day, but Wargaming is hiring so fast they probably had to install a spinny-door-thiingy. Riot has this on lockdown with (expensive) account changes, but they have an excess of manpower. The only good reason I can think of for these other companies is infrastructure, the way accounts are set up, but with GUIDs on accounts, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't think, at least.

Edited by Amidatelion, 06 October 2015 - 07:29 AM.

EliteShooter

EliteShooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Someone might abuse the system.

f26bc78c1df50d2820bd4c1494366945.jpg

• CrimsonKaim likes this

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Someone might abuse the system.

f26bc78c1df50d2820bd4c1494366945.jpg

That's not even Amid's first problem.

His first problem is expecting a response.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I actually would love to change my callsign to my actual IRL name. Tho I can't dream of having it changed lol

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I for one could dig this. I so want to remove the 3 in sp3ctrr :C

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Uh...

Why do we need name changes? If you want a new identity, do the douchy thing and make a smurf.

It just adds another layer of anonymity we don't need.
  • StubbornPuppet likes this

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Why do we need name changes? If you want a new identity, do the douchy thing and make a smurf.

It just adds another layer of anonymity we don't need.

Few questions:

1. By your own logic, being able to change your name may prevent some people from taking the douchey route of making smurfs. Why would you want to prevent something that may reduce the prevalence of smurfing?
  2. Why is anonymity bad? Or put another way, why is having more of it bad?

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 06 October 2015 - 09:52 AM.

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Few questions:

• By your own logic, being able to change your name may prevent some people from taking the douchey route of making smurfs. Why would you want to prevent something that may reduce the prevalence of smurfing?
  • Why is anonymity bad? Or put another way, why is having more of it bad?
  • having an alt or two (for temporary anonymity) is not the problem with smurfing, it's the constantly creating new smurfs everytime the mmr climbs over 2k that's the issue.
  • when you post on the forums or play in the game you are establishing an identity that the people you encounter come to know. Meeting and learning about the people around you builds community. Most people wouldn't change thier name if they became too well respected - quite the opposite actually. Allowing name changes is tantamount to rewarding bad behavior.

Edited by phed, 06 October 2015 - 10:06 AM.

• -Tj- likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Allowing name changes is tantamount to rewarding bad behavior.

Something something logical fallacy.

The second does not necessarily follow the first.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

• having an alt or two (for temporary anonymity) is not the problem with smurfing, it's the constantly creating new smurfs everytime the mmr climbs over 2k that's the issue.

It sounds like creating a smurf for the sole purpose of having a different account name wouldn't be so douchey then

• when you post on the forums or play in the game you are establishing an identity that the people you encounter come to know. Meeting and learning about the people around you builds community. Most people wouldn't change thier name if they became too well respected - quite the opposite actually. Allowing name changes is tantamount to rewarding bad behavior.

Having your account name changed doesn't erase your forum history, so that aspect of maintaining a reputation is null. Furthermore I think it'd be hard to argue that allowing name changes would somehow sink the moral integrity of our community any lower than it already is. You're essentially saying that the benefits of being able to readily add clan tags, modify typos, just change your name because you feel like it, etc. is outweighed by allowing evildoers to change their names so they can evade Internet social justice.

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 06 October 2015 - 10:23 AM.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

2k that's the issue.

Thats the line? beans, i should have made a smurf months ago, get ready for JacktheLumberJack folks.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I was under the impression that you could submit a support ticket with 3 choices for your new name and they'd do it.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

I was under the impression that you could submit a support ticket with 3 choices for your new name and they'd do it.

I was under the impression that you could just say it has personal info in it and they would change it.

(thats what Meat- i mean Kaiser-sama told me)

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I think I'm among the minority here when I say I love changing my name to stupid things and I do it several times a week.  I like it when the name is tied to the steam account, but I understand that this would be difficult/not worth it to implement.

It's like smurfing on your main!

• crockrocket and Sorroritas like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

kvazarsky

kvazarsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Steam has it covered quite well: You can change nickname whenever you want, but it doesn't change link to account, and (name) change history is visible to everyone.

• Nachoeslach, PoopSlinger, DieselCat and 2 others like this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

I'm willing to wager that this is in fact an infrastructure issue, but one of code, and not manpower.  I believe game accounts came under meteor's umbrella, and they were tied into the codebase at adhesive.  also, IIRC, capnjosh mentioned something along the lines of meteor credits related codebase was so slipshod that it would always remain Meteor credits.

• Sorroritas likes this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I think I'm among the minority here when I say I love changing my name to stupid things and I do it several times a week.  I like it when the name is tied to the steam account, but I understand that this would be difficult/not worth it to implement.

That's how they did it in Rocket League, however I don't presume to know jack fuzzy bunny about the back end in this case

JgQjgkx.png

driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Is the name "Caitlyn_Jenner" taken yet?

dark.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Is the name "Caitlyn_Jenner" taken yet?

It appears not. Go forth and smurf my son

JgQjgkx.png

Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

• Why is anonymity bad? Or put another way, why is having more of it bad?

:teehee:

I'm willing to wager that this is in fact an infrastructure issue, but one of code, and not manpower.

I agree.

Would have been nice to have probably, but I can also live with the way it is now

Treat them with honour, my Brothers.

Not because they will bring us victory this day,

but because their fate will one day be ours.

kvazarsky

kvazarsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Aaaaaand the next topic is: mech gender change. :P

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
Wow yeah fuzz off with this fuzzy bunny, I was actually hoping for an answer as opposed to a thread lock. You'd think you people would have the sense not to follow the example of a 14-year old edgelord on probably his last strike.
  • TheButtSatisfier likes this

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Wow yeah fuzz off with this fuzzy bunny, I was actually hoping for an answer as opposed to a thread lock. You'd think you people would have the sense not to follow the example of a 14-year old edgelord on probably his last strike.

I'm pretty sure the least successful way to obtain a development-related answer from the devs is to make a thread. If it's answers you seek then nothing is preventing you from PM'img the powers that be or asking Ashfire in IRC.

Edit: replace "development" with "backend" or any other technically-related term

Edit2: I AM PROUD OF MY WRONGNESS

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 07 October 2015 - 07:02 AM.

• Amidatelion likes this

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

We change callsigns when a user contacts support.  :)   If it gets abused, then we'll discontinue offering it.  

• MomOw and kvazarsky like this

~~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup!!~~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: name changes, dev questions, ashfire908, amidatelion, accounts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users