• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Please take this with a grain of salt, since I'm still a student, but I really can't help saying a few things about the design, especially since it looks like you put a LOT of work into it and are planning to put a ton more in the future.

OK, so this is really amazing and I like the design direction, but there are several problems with it so far (in my opinion, I guess). First, it looks too similar to the reaper. I mean, yes, it has a different chassis, but the immediate read of the mech says reaper and what's causing it are mainly the legs: the structure is too similar (also, their design is too blocky while your body only consists of organic forms). Try experimenting with how you imagined the silhouette (like, the infiltrator kind of looks like a monkey when jumping).  Second, I think your secondary details are too prominent. If you look at the infiltrator (again) for example, you can easily read the main forms and the secondary details are there just to compliment them (tertiary details are hardly noticeable unless you're admiring it). And following that, your secondary details fight your main forms too much. As I stated before, they should be used to emphasize the main forms--they aren't their own thing, that's what your main forms are. And lastly, the proportion of the legs should get smaller as it moves down. Thighs are largest, shins are second, feet are smallest, etc. Look at the infiltrator's legs again after removing the boot (the flat part), they follow this pattern. Look to real animals for reference on unique ways to accomplish interesting leg designs.

Also, I hate to say it, but your new coil rifle is a little too compact for Hawken's weapon designs. Your old design actually suited better (you just have to break it up into small, medium, and large shapes instead of stacking it like bricks). Maybe look at other weapon designs for inspiration on how a railgun-esgue weapon could animate, always thought the grenade launcher looked kind of like a lightning cannon, personally.

Hope you can take something from this.

• diablo878, dorobo, claisolais and 1 other like this

What the Heca-

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Im actually quite fond of the hodgepodge style, the mesh of organic and inorganic goes well with hawken lore and with the concept of scrap mechs on a nano virus ravaged planet. i like the hunchback feel it has.

10/10, would pay money for

• DemitronPrime likes this

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Not going to lie - didn't actually read the mech description.  Big fan of the model, though.  Well done.

• comic_sans likes this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I liked the original coilgun design+map revision, but I love the new one.  It screams speed and power.

• Meraple likes this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

TAZ_

TAZ_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
You should join the developer team, perhaps we can get new mech every months!!

Love your detailed job and design.
Two thumbs up for Xas!

(08:35:47 PM) Ashfire908: auth taz_ blacklist
(08:35:48 PM) ScrimBot: 'taz_' has been added to the 'blacklist' group.

Urban_Sword

Urban_Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
JJm I love this design. May I ask what modelling program you used?

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

JJm I love this design. May I ask what modelling program you used?

cheers.

All modeling was done in 3ds Max 2016. 

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

somewhere down the line the devs may use this, or an imitation of it. if it's gonna take gazillions of those -gon thingies, to keep frame rates from getting raped by just driving this, we may have to wait for Hawken UE4.

i want one too. gimme gimme

and a monster 4orMore legged beast mech.

BkeETgs.jpg

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

6 billion steps later, UV unwrapped and normal's rendered.

I've swapped parts with the scout to compare normals and detail level, scale etc.

next up, texturing and/or the new gun.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• diablo878, Meraple, SandSpider2 and 5 others like this

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Not much of an update, texturing is still ongoing.

I did something else I should have done on day 1 and made some silhouette comparisons with other chassis to get a feel for its 'SS Bait Rating' in relation to them. Ideally they should all be about the same due to the fact the parts are class agnostic.

Some lazy pixel counts suggests its in the ball park, judging by the range already there. Obviously distance and slight angles will change everything.

Spoiler

• diablo878, SandSpider2, n3onfx and 6 others like this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Your model is great. How much time has it taken to get to this point?

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Your model is great. How much time has it taken to get to this point?

simply based off of when he first posted the topic, which was on the 7th of Oct, that means a total of around 39 days?

but considering he had quite a lot to show with the first post i'd say he'd been working on it for a good few weeks before then, so lets estimate at 2 months.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I meant in work hours.
2 months doesn't mean anything if he has a job and plenty of other things to fill his time with.

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

I meant in work hours.
2 months doesn't mean anything if he has a job and plenty of other things to fill his time with.

Its hard to guess how long I've spent in hindsight, but I'd throw 50+ hours out there as a guess. Not including the many hours spent being fuzzy bunny slapped by 3DS Max problems. And time spent just staring at it at 1am.

• DemitronPrime likes this

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Great design. I love it. Now I want to spend my MC on it. :yes:

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

It's beautiful and fits so nicely with the other mechs and it's also perfect in every way. And beautiful.

They HAVE TO add it in Hawken.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

And now the 3C-EMA Secondary weapon. I've reworked it a few times, its just blocked together and will need a lot more modeling work to get the parts all nicely detailed.

Its changed a bit from the concept I posted. I decided to make the weapon a bit shorter so it looks better on the mechs.

It will have a shorter range and that 3 shot capability, so its not competing with the SS/reaper as far as pure sniping goes. Therefore shouldn't be long and elegant like a pure sniper rifle.

I also added some parts underneath so it looks beefier. Since it can punch a chunk of metal through a wall it should look and sound intimidating.

ema_anim.gif

ema_block1_F.jpg

• diablo878, SandSpider2, LaurenEmily and 4 others like this

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Ok just reached the point today where this has been sitting idle in my projects folder for a effin long time.

May as well dump a bunch of images for where I left it. For a first Hawken mech, its got its little issues but whatever, they kinda all do as far as clipping and stuff goes.

A high-poly model of the rail gun was about 40% done, maybe I'll get back to work on that one day before the Hawken virus escapes for real.

interdictor.jpg

Sexy and provocative renders:

Spoiler

Bonus. The mesh (26093 triangles)

Spoiler

See you in game when the next patch is out. /major optimism

• diablo878, Houruck, SandSpider2 and 4 others like this

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip