140 replies to this topic

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Um Dave are you forgetting turret mode?

Brawler turret mode is effective with Hawkins and vanguard turret mode is a beast in some situations. Rocketeer is fuzzy bunny regardless of it's ability. 

• dorobo likes this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Brawler turret mode is effective with Hawkins and vanguard turret mode is a beast in some situations. Rocketeer is fuzzy bunny regardless of it's ability.

He is right. Never seen a Vanguard with a tech in his bud in Uptown? Definition of front line.

For the cloak, i don't really mind the fact that it is burning fuel but more the efficiency of the cloak itself.
As already mentioned, it comes with a bunch of bugs and a really poor blur effect which caj be spotted by any Hawken player who played for more than 10 hours.
But apart from that, it has a speed buff, isn't that cool? ._.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I think that the Infiltraitor is fine as it is now. You boost around while cloacked then you burn out your fuel very quick. You walk then you can go cloacked for longer time. You do not move and activate your spcial ability then you can cloack for a much longer period of time. Is that so, how it works? Haven't played it much to be honest.

The problem isn't really that it burns fuel faster if you boost while cloaked. It should burn fuel while boosting while cloaked, as boosting with any mech does. The problem is that cloak burns fuel, meaning even if you stand still you're going to run out of fuel at some point. It would make more sense if the cloak burned less fuel when standing still as opposed to moving around, but the rate is constant when standing or walking, and faster when boosting.

Who cares if you have basically no fuel after your initial attack? If you need fuel immediately, you're using the ability incorrectly in the first place. The Infil is listed as an assassin mech. Sneak up, GL and primary simultaneously from behind. Takes out nearly half of an A-class in one go. Most of the time, by the time they've turned around, you've rebuilt enough fuel to dodge just fine. And with any luck, you'll be able to get at least another shot or two in before they hit you.

Works great on lower MMR players. Doesn't work great on higher MMR players. They move around a lot, and if you miss your alpha strike, they've still got whatever health you didn't pick off (if you did any at all), and you've got less fuel than you should. If you happen to be at the end of your cloak when this happens, good luck trying to dodge, because that fuel is NOT going to build up fast enough for you to dodge much... or run... or jump/hover. You simply won't last long against them without movement options. As it stands now, the Infil cloak attacks usually end up being suicide runs. Note that part about using it against high MMR players. I have no problem using Infil cloak against lower MMR players.

Another very good way to use the Infil's cloak is to quickly flank in chaotic team-based situations. More often than not (at least 95% of the time in my experience) you will go unnoticed, and if you've played your cards right and your team is on the other side to back you up, you can disrupt an entire group, which leads to their destruction when your team rolls through.

You're probably doing this against players who don't focus on a lot of things well. Most of the lower tier players are focusing more on two-ish things: trying to land shots and trying not to get hit. Higher level players have a keen eye, great tactical understanding, high situational awareness, and great aim. As soon as they see an Infil cloak, it becomes a priority target because they know that thing is going to do some damage if they don't take it out. Your 95% experience with your tactic just won't work at that rate against the higher tiers.

As I see it, the Infil is one of the most diverse mechs in the game. It's got a GL with options for sustained, burst, and proximity weaponry. If I know I'm on the losing side, I'll often switch to Infil in order to bring the score back up.

TL;DR: I do just fine without the ability being adjusted. I've seen many others do the same. Any changes to it as suggested and it could a) completely change the way it is played (which might be jarring for many players), and/or b) make it an unbalanced mech. Compared to most of the other mechs I play, it already seems a tad OP.

It is one of the most diverse mechs in the game. It used to be more so. The fuel-eating cloak actually made the Infil less versatile despite giving it a longer duration. It also used to be more fun. Thinking about how my performance was back then compared to what it is now, there isn't much difference. I just used to have more fun with the old, reliable cloak.

For the cloak [...] it has a speed buff, isn't that cool? ._.

The speed boost is negligible. It was a huge boost in speed in the Ascension patch, but it's since been reduced to pretty much nothing. I did some video recordings of the cloak tonight. Gonna do some editing later this week to put it all together (if I don't forget).

Edited by -Tj-, 28 April 2015 - 10:33 AM.

?FTD? eXeon

?FTD? eXeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

I think the fuel drain is stupid and too much of a negative side effect for merely being harder to see and being able to boost dodge without being put on the radar. Obviously the current time limit on cloak would be too high for not having a fuel drain but, 6 seconds just sounds too short to achieve any meaningful distance, 10-15 imo. I think 40 seconds after coming out of stealth is a rather long time to wait, dont see why you should have to wait any longer.

• -Tj- likes this

Fix The Delay

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

6 seconds just sounds too short to achieve any meaningful distance, 10-15 imo.

Yeah, 6 seconds might actually be too short in some cases. In the tests that I did last night, boosting the duration of the cloak is about 6 seconds, so that wouldn't change, but walking for only 6 seconds doesn't get you very far.

Here are the results from my tests, done on Front Line, since that map has probably the longest available stretches of flat, straight space available to test on.

xfAsPu.jpg

The time difference between the cloaked and uncloaked walk and boost speeds are pretty minimal. Boosting while cloaked might be fine to get to an engagement, like if a teammate needs help, but you probably won't be very useful once you get there if there are a lot of enemies against your lone teammate (and now you).

The simulated 6 second times were done using a stopwatch and cancelling cloak the moment 6 seconds was reached.

If the cloak were increased to 10 seconds, that would allow walking a little more than half the current distance, but boosting to tank empty and walking the rest of the distance would allow an Infil to travel almost the same distance as walking the whole way cloaked now.

• eth0, comic_sans and Xacius like this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
No matter what, -TJ- is right. Cloak is so damn UP. Has a tradeoff for a low efficiency ability.
How about adding heat instead of burning fuel? That would do!

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The problem isn't really that it burns fuel faster if you boost while cloaked. It should burn fuel while boosting while cloaked, as boosting with any mech does. The problem is that cloak burns fuel, meaning even if you stand still you're going to run out of fuel at some point. It would make more sense if the cloak burned less fuel when standing still as opposed to moving around, but the rate is constant when standing or walking, and faster when boosting.

Works great on lower MMR players. Doesn't work great on higher MMR players. They move around a lot, and if you miss your alpha strike, they've still got whatever health you didn't pick off (if you did any at all), and you've got less fuel than you should. If you happen to be at the end of your cloak when this happens, good luck trying to dodge, because that fuel is NOT going to build up fast enough for you to dodge much... or run... or jump/hover. You simply won't last long against them without movement options. As it stands now, the Infil cloak attacks usually end up being suicide runs. Note that part about using it against high MMR players. I have no problem using Infil cloak against lower MMR players.

You're probably doing this against players who don't focus on a lot of things well. Most of the lower tier players are focusing more on two-ish things: trying to land shots and trying not to get hit. Higher level players have a keen eye, great tactical understanding, high situational awareness, and great aim. As soon as they see an Infil cloak, it becomes a priority target because they know that thing is going to do some damage if they don't take it out. Your 95% experience with your tactic just won't work at that rate against the higher tiers.

It is one of the most diverse mechs in the game. It used to be more so. The fuel-eating cloak actually made the Infil less versatile despite giving it a longer duration. It also used to be more fun. Thinking about how my performance was back then compared to what it is now, there isn't much difference. I just used to have more fun with the old, reliable cloak.

The speed boost is negligible. It was a huge boost in speed in the Ascension patch, but it's since been reduced to pretty much nothing. I did some video recordings of the cloak tonight. Gonna do some editing later this week to put it all together (if I don't forget).

I see your points.

What I subtly suggested on page 1 was to diversificate or sophisticate a bit more its fuel consumption for when the Infil boosts, walks and does not move at all when cloacked. IIRC, it wastes the same fuel when walking or staying quite cloaked. Yes, a a first step this might help at improving a bit its and the overall gameplay.

The current issue you guys see is that this little mech is better on little maps because of how fast it burns fuel when cloaked and, basically, boosting. Well, I think this directly points to its uniqueness factor in the gameplay scheme of the game too. Because one thing is to use this mech to ambush and kill your enemy at your own risk and another (2 options in my opinion) would be to chase enemy mechs when cloacked and boosting plus ambush, kill and run away boosting in little time.

The problem I see is that by tuning it up too much you might make it too good (OP).

Additionally and on the subject, must be have into serious account about this the facts that scanners reveal cloacked Infils with no range limitation (I suggested somewhere to stablish minimum ranges of detection of cloacked infils by distance) and also the fact that guided missile locks (IIRC) can lock on cloacked infils as well (and preds too?). These points are very important to balance its equation too, IMHO.

On the other hand, I'm afraid on that replacing burning fuel when cloacked by weapons heat won't work as well as expected. Because at first glance, most of the times, you may reach your target with some of extra fuel when you arrive there to rock, but if you don't have your weapons available to engage it then... where's the practical benefit with that?

To conclude here on this, enlarging the fuel consumption in 3 maneuverability cases instead of only 2 might help. As a first step, extending from 6 to 7 (or 8) seconds to burn out all of your fuel tank when cloacking & boosting sounds interesting, yes.

Even, a new internal might be considered as for to balance a bit more the equation for this mech. Thus making it slightly more vulnerable in others benefits or aspects while it gets a little benefit on the subject (fuel) also on bigger maps... well... Now I'm rambling, sorry. So "back on topic"... :teehee: :yes:

Note::: Cool analysis on a current performance case for the Infil over an aerial view of the Front Line map, -Tj-  :thumbsup:

• -Tj- likes this

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I don't think your "ramblings" were off-topic, Pepe. It adds to the discussion, so it's welcome. :)

I agree that swapping heat buildup for fuel consumption might not be a good trade-off, but it would really depend on how it's implemented. For example, if the heat never builds past a certain maximum point it may be fine. If it works the way it currently does, with heat building to maximum if the full cloak duration is used, the Infil would have several seconds without weapons when it exits cloak. At the same time, it would make a weird sort of sense that the cloak would "fail" at max heat, since Heat Mines and the Incin's SAARE rounds, and M4M4 cancel cloak, too.

Waitaminute... was the Incinerator one of Vana's babies? If so, I'm starting to see a trend...

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

the earlier incarnation of the infiltrators cloak was before my time so i have no comparison. the cloak as it is now is my only experience. having spent enough time in an infiltrator to level it to 6 i found it hard to use the cloak offensively due to the fuel consumption leaving you dry when you arrive at the fight. i found myself using the infiltrators cloak primarily to disapear and flee.

i have been bested by skilled infiltrator pilots more times than i can count tho. im not sure i would want it to be just a little bit better. Its hard to use but its also one of my favourite mechs. it seems to have a long lasting fuel tank and is quite manouverable in close combat. 

my 2 cents: leave it as it is.

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I have used the cloak against fairly high-tier players in the ways I described before, and although it doesn't work as much as with lower-tier players, it still does. Knowing when and where to hide is just as much a part of the strategy as walking toward your opponent when cloaked. While I still think it would be OK to leave it as-is, I do have a suggestion to "fix" it.

Basically, if anyone has played Planetside 2 as an Infiltrator (same class, lol), you will be familiar with how this works. When the player is not moving, the fuel regenerates. When the player walks, it uses fuel. If the player boosts, it uses even more fuel. If the fuel tank hits empty, the ability is disabled. Both walking and boosting would use fuel slightly faster than it currently does, and the fuel regeneration would be slightly lower than when the ability is not being used. This would allow pilots to use controlled, choice movements to approach their target, without a) their fuel being completely gone or b) the ability shutting off at an inopportune time.

Thoughts?

• Odinous, -Tj- and Liederkranz like this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

If there was a vote option i would vote yes, as i would like it changed. I find it kinda difficult to 'aggressively' use the cloak, who wants to start a fight when you're out of fuel at the start of it ? I'm sure it has been pointed out countless of times already, just wanted to say i agree it needs a change.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

One question if I may...

when an infil boosts when cloacked it renders on radar, isn't it?

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

One question if I may...

when an infil boosts when cloacked it renders on radar, isn't it?

I don't think it does. I have seen many infiltrators boost away cloaked and they didn't appear.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I don't think it does. I have seen many infiltrators boost away cloaked and they didn't appear.

If the youtube posted on this thread shows the actual thing then... I'm feeling like pretty confused right now ... :teehee:

https://community.pl...he-infiltrator/

But if an Infil boosts when cloacked then its impulsors emit flames so you can see it... isn't it?

Anyway, in my opinion infils boosting when cloacked should... I feel confused right now... must be too late here... lol :sweat:

Edited by PepeKenobi, 28 April 2015 - 03:41 PM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

If the video posted on this thread shows the actual thing then... I'm feeling like pretty confused right now ... :teehee:

https://community.pl...he-infiltrator/

But if an Infil boosts when cloacked then its impulsors emit flames so you can see it... isn't it?

No flames  :teehee: You can check this out by going to map exploration and activating the external camera mode.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

No flames  :teehee: You can check this out by going to map exploration and activating the external camera mode.

IIRC, you can see it.

If it's been changed then I do not remember of any official word on that. Also, I thought that the Infil goes visible when you boost when cloacked... Yes, I should play a couple of matches to check these points with my Infil... important ones, IMHO

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I haven't read anything else then the first post so yeah XD OK...

I think, why not buff the fuel regen? XD so that it could be fuel dependent but not too desperate for it...

The following are choices I m suggesting, I wouldnt care whichever one is implemented or not... XD

the fuel regen is equal to the lost fuel so if you stand in one spot or just walk around (but not boost/hover) then it should not deplete.

Fuel regen is faster then fuel loss so you regen slowly ur fuel if u stay in one spot.

Last one could be combined with the two suggestions above or anything...

You lose fuel only when u move, even just walking...

Meh just suggestions for the fire! XS lol

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

IIRC, you can see it.

If it's been changed then I do not remember of any official word on that. Also, I thought that the Infil goes visible when you boost when cloacked... Yes, I should play a couple of matches to check these points with my Infil... important ones, IMHO

IIRC, a boosting cloaked inf doesn't show it's jets, but the 'dust cloud' all boosting mechs generate does show up.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't show up on normal radar when boosting.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Just to say once more that I think the Infil is fine as it is now. The problem is scanners at certain degree plus the auto lock on cloacked infils by HFs.

IIRC, (and now I do remember it much better under the daylight) you can see the flames and smoke trail when a cloacked infil boosts around.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

For everyone who dislikes the current cloak: Look at what I have found out while I had a DC. The blockade is actually way better cloaked than the Pred and Infil (actual blacked disappeared but effects remained due to DC):

Note: Before you look at these images, keep in mind that these 'cloaks' are way harder to spot because these are pictures (no motion). These 'cloaks' are still easy to spot with a sharp view while moving. Additionally, the visal effects are moving, which makes it even easier to spot.

1. Clearly visible, blurry squares visible but yet transparent and not bugged as the current cloak, displays everything what is behind

Spoiler

2. Hard to see, this is how it should look like when standing still, though I wouldn't mind the 'square cloak'. Blurry effects still to spot, a moving unit can still be spotted without looking too sharp.

Spoiler

Edited by FakeName, 30 April 2015 - 11:40 PM.

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

For everyone who dislikes the current cloak: Look at what I have found out while I had a DC. The blockade is actually way better cloaked than the Pred and Infil (actual blacked disappeared but effects remained due to DC):

Note: Before you look at these images, keep in mind that these 'cloaks' are way harder to spot because these are pictures (no motion). These 'cloaks' are still easy to spot with a sharp view while moving. Additionally, the visal effects are moving, which makes it even easier to spot.

1. Clearly visible, blurry squares visible but yet transparent and not bugged as the current cloak, displays everything what is behind

Spoiler

2. Hard to see, this is how it should look like when standing still, though I wouldn't mind the 'square cloak'. Blurry effects still to spot, a moving unit can still be spotted without looking too sharp.

Spoiler

I guess those screenshots were taken with graphics settings maxxed out, because I can't see the blockade in both cases. I use the graphics in medium settings and that way I can actually see it in transparent blue, something like this:

Spoiler

Also, what do you mean by "DC"? :huh: :ninja:

Edited by Liederkranz, 02 May 2015 - 09:32 AM.

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
IMO the camouflage ability should only use up fuel if the player is moving.

Boosting and air dodging should deplete it, and fuel regen is disabled or reduced while cloaked.

Edited by Rainbow Sheep, 02 May 2015 - 10:33 AM.

• Grollourdo likes this

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I guess those screenshots were taken with graphics settings maxxed out, because I can't see the blockade in both cases. I use the graphics in medium settings and that way I can actually see it in transparent blue, something like this:

Spoiler

Also, what do you mean by "DC"? :huh: :ninja:

DC: disconnect

And yes ofcourse graphics maxed out. Isn't that wuat the majority uses?
Additionally, as mentioned in red, the blockade is hard to spot due to the fixed picture. The squares are moving just like these blurry lines in picture 2. That makes tze whole thing a lot easier to spot (just like any moving object)

If you can't spot tue blockade in picture one, I guess you have problems spotting the current cloak....

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

DC: disconnect

And yes ofcourse graphics maxed out. Isn't that wuat the majority uses?
Additionally, as mentioned in red, the blockade is hard to spot due to the fixed picture. The squares are moving just like these blurry lines in picture 2. That makes tze whole thing a lot easier to spot (just like any moving object)

If you can't spot tue blockade in picture one, I guess you have problems spotting the current cloak....

It doesn't matter if the majority uses graphics maxed out or mid settings, or low. I think that whatever case, the cloak should look the same regardless of the graphic settings. In this case, the blockade looks different with different settings (it's almost transparent in your shots, and clearly visible in blue in my shot).

I can't spot the blockade in pic one, just the moving squares (well, actually still squares xD but you know) that you mentioned. The current cloak is different than that, and is displayed the same way regardless of graphic settings used.

I personally like the way the cloak looks like right now, my problem is with the fuel.

• -Tj- likes this

xaW8OWj.png

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

It doesn't matter if the majority uses graphics maxed out or mid settings, or low. I think that whatever case, the cloak should look the same regardless of the graphic settings. In this case, the blockade looks different with different settings (it's almost transparent in your shots, and clearly visible in blue in my shot).

I can't spot the blockade in pic one, just the moving squares (well, actually still squares xD but you know) that you mentioned. The current cloak is different than that, and is displayed the same way regardless of graphic settings used.

I personally like the way the cloak looks like right now, my problem is with the fuel.

I have mentioned that the actual blockade disappeared but the effects remained :P

Additionally, my problems are the cloak itself PLUS the fuel. (The cloak itself is the main problem though).

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I just got my new infiltrator so I'm just going to learn it and all and I will get an opinion XD
  • CrimsonKaim likes this

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Infiltrator cloak, stop eating mah fuels! Seriously.

I've been hating on this change almost immediately after it was implemented. Here's why:

- The Infiltrator's cloak is only one of three abilities in the game that relies on another resource. The others are the Incinerator and G2 Raider, but the Incin doesn't have a lengthy cooldown and relies on a resource that builds with weapon use, and the G2 Raider's fuel usage makes sense, given it's like a forced speed boost with the ability to shoot.

- Cloak time is completely dependent on available fuel, rendering cloak useless if there is no fuel, or making any kind of advanced movement unavailable if cloak uses it all.

- Cloak cooldown isn't reliant on the amount of time the cloak was used, so even if it was used for less than a second, it can't be used again for another 40 seconds.

I'd like to see the Infiltrator's cloak be reverted back to its previous state, or at least something that doesn't use fuel. The old cloak, iirc, had a much longer cooldown, 6 second duration, didn't affect movement, didn't muffle sound, and wasn't connected to fuel. I would be ok with a lot of these negatives if the fuel didn't get consumed while in use. A cooldown in the 50-60 second range would be just fine (it's 40 secs currently). Players who stay alive longer will get to use it less, and players who die more often will get to use it more.

Here's some other negatives, not really related to the fuel thing:

- Cloak is easily-seen

- Any heat-based weapons cancel it (same goes for Predator's cloak, but Pred's cloak cancels if you sneeze on it, so...)

- A cloaked Infil (and Pred) is easily locked onto with a sweep of the crosshairs.

- Cloak muffles sound, making it difficult to hear potential threats. If the Infiltrator's movements were muffled to other units, I'd be ok with this, but it isn't.

- EMPs cancel cloak, and we all know how wide the EMP radius is. EMP + no fuel + can't fire = no can do.

I can't think of any other ability that has such a huge list of negatives, and the big negatives are related to fuel. Others have negatives, but not this many. Can we plz stop Infil from eating fuel? Pretty please? With a cherry or 3 on top?

Edit: Fixed some inaccuracies (cooldown is 40 seconds, not 20, and forgot about the G2 Raider).

Edit 2: Remembered tonight that EMPs also cancel cloak and changed some formatting to separate a couple of the negative list.

My only issue is that hellfires can lock through cloak.  I don't mind being shot at...but a target lock ought to be out of the question.

• Grollourdo likes this

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
That is very true , lol Hellfires are my arch enemy XD lol but really now ,

I get mixed feelings on if it should be able yo lock on cloak or not so maybe make cloaked lock ons the less priority lock ons? So if there is another mech in sight it locks on to him and not the cloaked one whatsoever?

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I've been watching of an Infil cloacked looks on Origin and had not issues at recognizing seeing identifying it at all...

The vfx is much more worst now or what?

If it's been touched anyhow, do the devs consider how does it look in low, mediumm high and ultra settings as a whole?

Hoping this helps

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I had a talk with my uncle and we agreed on the fact that when you cancel the special ability when still it's above 50% should give you back a little and fair cooldown reduction in order to use it sooner again.

Thoughts on this?

We think would be fair even if the benefit might be minimum (but noticeable in the tactical heart of the Infiltrator pilot). At first glance, this little change does not seem too much intricate to us from a coding stand point.

Hoping this helps. :yes:

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I've been watching of an Infil cloacked looks on Origin and had not issues at recognizing seeing identifying it at all...

The vfx is much more worst now or what?

If it's been touched anyhow, do the devs consider how does it look in low, mediumm high and ultra settings as a whole?

Hoping this helps

In my particular case I saw no differences in how the cloak looks like in the different graphics settings. The differences I notice are more related to the background against which the infil is standing. Sometimes it's hard to spot if it's against a wall and the mech is standing still, and sometimes it's easily spotted even when standing still, for example when there's sky as a background.

I had a talk with my uncle and we agreed on the fact that when you cancel the special ability when still it's above 50% should give you back a little and fair cooldown reduction in order to use it sooner again.

Thoughts on this?

We think would be fair even if the benefit might be minimum (but noticeable in the tactical heart of the Infiltrator pilot). At first glance, this little change does not seem too much intricate to us from a coding stand point.

Hoping this helps. :yes:

I think this could work very well if it's doable from a code perspective. :D

xaW8OWj.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
I dunno. I try to play a sneaky infil - I walk and use cover to avoid radar/los, and once I close as much of that gap as I can, I cloak, and stick to shadows as much as possible to gain a flanking position. I focus on assist - I hammer the one mech putting pressure on my team, or jump the guy around the corner trying to repair. Sure, I don't have a lot of fuel , but the pace of combat with eoc tends to let it recharge. The infil has a massive fuel tank, with a decent recharge rate.

I think infil is just fine the way it is. I think you just have to play it a certain way. Be a sneaky bastard. But don't lean on the cloak, or it becomes a crutch.

Edited by coldform, 08 May 2015 - 06:58 AM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

One more thing to consider would be allowing Infils to remain cloacked while repairs.

This may sound somehow silly at first glance, but I see a number of situations in which having your special ability still active while (and right after) repairs could be a nice extra touch for this mech.

Note ::: Obviously I'm not suggesting to cloack the repair drone while repairs, ofc. But actually if you need some repairs while cloacked then I find it like pretty sad wasting your entire special ability because of that. Not very important but would be cool, IMHO.

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

I'm gonna have to agree with Arch here. As Infil currently stands, I have no issue at all using the ability. Who cares if you have basically no fuel after your initial attack? If you need fuel immediately, you're using the ability incorrectly in the first place. The Infil is listed as an assassin mech. Sneak up, GL and primary simultaneously from behind. Takes out nearly half of an A-class in one go. Most of the time, by the time they've turned around, you've rebuilt enough fuel to dodge just fine. And with any luck, you'll be able to get at least another shot or two in before they hit you.

Another very good way to use the Infil's cloak is to quickly flank in chaotic team-based situations. More often than not (at least 95% of the time in my experience) you will go unnoticed, and if you've played your cards right and your team is on the other side to back you up, you can disrupt an entire group, which leads to their destruction when your team rolls through.

As I see it, the Infil is one of the most diverse mechs in the game. It's got a GL with options for sustained, burst, and proximity weaponry. If I know I'm on the losing side, I'll often switch to Infil in order to bring the score back up.

TL;DR: I do just fine without the ability being adjusted. I've seen many others do the same. Any changes to it as suggested and it could a) completely change the way it is played (which might be jarring for many players), and/or b) make it an unbalanced mech. Compared to most of the other mechs I play, it already seems a tad OP.

if you want to walk around all day in stealth mode be a pred. infiltrator is for getting in and out quick and unseen. "to confuse damage and dissapear" if you cant do that with the infil as it is now, i would suggest you are doing it wrong.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
We could so that but maybe by implementing this then it could do a bit better.

Get what I mean?

Like it could be buffed but make it so that it is still balanced....

Reminder I am just posting a counter argument.... I don't know if it should or should not get buffed or anything....

Groll

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

One more thing to consider would be allowing Infils to remain cloacked while repairs.

This may sound somehow silly at first glance, but I see a number of situations in which having your special ability still active while (and right after) repairs could be a nice extra touch for this mech.

I think the buff should go somewhere else. Keep in mind that when repairing, all systems of the mech go offline. You rely only on your external cam visuals, not even the enemy detector is active, as when you see a mech go by, you can't tell if it's friend or foe until he starts shooting at you :P.

xaW8OWj.png

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
The problem I have with the infiltrator cloak is that the fuel consumption doesn't at all fit the inf's role on the battlefield. Sure it has a long duration and will get you where you need but when you're there your lack of fuel leaves you with little options. You'll only get so far fleeing, you can't escape an ambush gone awry, and you lose one of your largest assets as an a-class. It's one of the only abilities with such a huge drawback and what it does isn't even all that spectacular.
  • IareDave and -Tj- like this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

At the very least, drastically reduce the amount of fuel it consumes.  When I play Infiltrator, I almost find it better to just avoid using the cloak all together so I don't end up screwed, not having enough fuel to dodge or run once I'm discovered.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I don't want it connected to fuel period. Tying it to fuel at all in the first place was a stupid idea to begin with, and now we've had to have this conversation.

Those of you suggesting that we all just have to get used to it: I've already gotten used to it, I just don't like it. Same likely goes for everyone else who doesn't like the current version and had experienced the old one. The old cloak was more fun, which is precisely what I'm trying to get back into the mech. It's not about buffing it, my suggestion to switch it back to a consistently-timed duration with a longer cooldown is a nerf in exchange for more versatility.

As far as it being a jarring change if it were changed, keep in mind we're still in beta. Granted it doesn't feel like beta, but till that tag comes off we should be discussing what's better for the game, and I firmly believe the old cloak was better for the game. It was more fun, and the cloak wasn't as powerful in certain situations. It could be used less often, didn't last as long, and offered more versatility. The current cloak still has its uses, but it's a joke compared to how much is stacked against it when compared to every other mech's abilities.

I'd been playing almost daily for a little less than a year before they introduced the new cloak mechanics to the game in Ascension, and it was around that time when I voiced my distaste for it. It's been much longer since then and I've been playing Infiltrator for the vast majority of my play time and I still can't bring myself to like it. I tolerate it. Tolerating something isn't fun.

Edited by -Tj-, 11 May 2015 - 11:56 AM.

• IareDave likes this

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Listen to Tj folks, he's one of the very few competent infil players I've seen. I stopped using it a long time ago and part of it was because of the abilities drawback which really affects the heat cannon (or eoc if you're a daredevil) because you need the fuel for boost + dodge combos and air dodges for the height advantage and all around survivability that is needed when facing noskill sustain mechs.
  • bacon_avenger, CrimsonKaim and -Tj- like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users