• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I know there has been mention to a previous version of hawken where dodges used fuel. i was wondering about an internal that returns fuel consumption for a dodge, but in return increases dodge speed/distance. Gives a player more options in regard to movement, without being totally broken after balancing the fuel consumed and increases.  

As for a mechanical toggle i suggest holding down the dodge key after the initial dodge activates for the increased range/speed at the cost of fuel. the next dodge has a slight cool-down reduction from normal. This allows the pilot to control when and how the fuel consumption works so as to avoid a dry tank, because as we all know, a slow mech, is a dead one.

No thought given to compatibility with the AC, though if it was, the fuel cost of using an air dodge would be horrid.

Also kicking around other ideas of internals, may update later.

Edit: added toggle suggestion.

Edited by JackVandal, 16 February 2016 - 03:08 PM.

• crockrocket likes this

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I know there has been mention to a previous version of hawken where dodges used fuel. i was wondering about an internal that returns fuel consumption for a dodge, but in return increases dodge speed/distance. Gives a player more options in regard to movement, without being totally broken after balance. No thought given to compatibility with the AC, though if it was, the fuel cost of using an air dodge would be horrid.

Also kicking around other ideas of internals, may update later.

Or perhaps a mechanic/toggle of some sort that simply introduces a trade of distance for frequency. Introducing it as an internal wouldn't be balanced unless it provided a clear advantage to using it over stock mech.

The removal of the dodge-fuel consumption mechanic is pretty easy to understand.

Imagine Hawken without dodging. K.

That's how every fight ends.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 16 February 2016 - 02:36 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Hawken with fueled dodge, with current playing styles, isn't entirely conducive to success even against bots with half decent aim, regardless of the tradeoffs you might get for increased distance.  Hearkening back to pre Ascension type dodging would remake the game into something else, affecting pacing and all.  Doing a side by side playtime comparison, twould require big adjustments to higher tier play imo.

Would require some sort of different advantage, because I see this as more detrimental than advantageous.

Edited by Silverfire, 16 February 2016 - 02:54 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Having not played during the period where dodges used fuel, i cant speak as to how much was used, though i assume that would be balanced with the internal, what if it increased dodge distance and decreased(slightly) cool-down at the cost of fuel?

As for a mechanical toggle i suppose holding down the dodge key(shift personally) after the initial dodge activates for the increased range/speed at the cost of fuel. the next dodge has a slight cool-down reduction from normal.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Personally I'd rather see an internal which enabled you to continually boost sideways instead of just a short dodge but this side boost would consume fuel like a normal boost would.

• dorobo likes this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Fuel Consumption, Dodges?

My 2012 RAM 1500 gets about 22-23 MPG Highway, 15.5 around town (5.7l Hemi).

But seriously, I've played in both eras, and I prefer the current mechanism.  I have to do something other than full-dodge to avoid dying as a Scout, and not everyone has that figured out (talking about other Scout pilots, not the people expecting to kill me at the end of a full dodge).

• crockrocket likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Or perhaps a mechanic/toggle of some sort that simply introduces a trade of distance for frequency. Introducing it as an internal wouldn't be balanced unless it provided a clear advantage to using it over stock mech.

The removal of the dodge-fuel consumption mechanic is pretty easy to understand.

Imagine Hawken without dodging. K.

That's how every fight ends.

If I remember correctly, back then most every fight ended before that point. Seeing as 2ndary weps were more burst than rapid fire as they are now. 

Also there would often be pauses between duels as people put distance between there foe if they felt a need for it. Without air dodge, and some other tools that are more common today, and with the higher burst a retreating player was more risky to go after. 

So no, the removal of the fuel dodge is not REALLY that simple to understand, cause while what you say happened DID happen, it was not a "Every single fight ends this way so we must change it deal."

Observe how quickly people died, fuel was most of the time, not a huge issue unless you were boosting around mindlessly. Fuel nowadays is just a tool to bonce around in the air for a lot of mechs :P, as seen below as I get rekted by wolf. (Jeez that was so long ago)

https://youtu.be/-AyzNifXSFA?t=3m29s

Anyway, due to the massive pacing changes, it is hard to say how the fuel for dodge would work in this new hawken. 

Anyway, I would love to see something that alters the ground game a bit. That internal sounds cool to me!

Edited by deidarall, 28 February 2016 - 07:59 PM.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

just as side note:

1.- Actually every mech in the game can do that

2.- No mech can fire while dodging, AFAIK..

3.- it's fun to do it and saves your bux while evading as well, just to mention some..

4.- In case it's modified in the future then I'd suggest to be cautious with this. Not to cause relevant negative impacts to the freedom nor gameplay style factors.

5.- ...slightly consuming some of fuel during dodges would worth some testing though

edit: Perhaps... an internal for the zerker? --> NO WAY! lol

Edited by The_Silencer, 29 February 2016 - 04:33 PM.

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internal, Fuel, old hawken, dodge, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users