- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Dratikus

Dratikus

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Can someone link me the game client that doesn't require steam?

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
You will need steam to get the game client, but it is possible to play the game without logging into steam. On the other hand, you will not be able to use the in-game MC purchase mechanism without launching it through steam.

Do you have a technical problem with steam?

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 02 March 2016 - 01:08 PM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

You will still need steam to install the game, but the exe for the game can be run directly from  \steamapps\common\Hawken\Binaries\Win32\HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

• thirtysix likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

TAZ_

TAZ_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If we running hawken without steam..
Will our steam profile shown we're online?

And

Will our game hours increase?

(08:35:47 PM) Ashfire908: auth taz_ blacklist
(08:35:48 PM) ScrimBot: 'taz_' has been added to the 'blacklist' group.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

If we running hawken without steam..
Will our steam profile shown we're online?

And

Will our game hours increase?

No and yes/no.

The hours tracked by the internal stats will increase, your steam hours will not.
  • ThereIsOnlyOne likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
dbl post

Edited by Amidatelion, 03 April 2016 - 05:14 PM.

Nymwasob

Nymwasob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

#1 I no longer use steam. Done with them. Uninstalled it, will never re-install, they are incompetent jerks who screwed up my main prized account under the guise of protecting me from an alleged hacking attempt. They refused to do what it takes to fix what THEY caused, gave them EVERY CHANCE to fix. My  main account is lost forever. To Hell with them.

#2 Cannot play without steam? - Oh well, then I obviously will NEVER buy and spend any for of game currency (Meteor Credits)

I have been caused enough trouble and aggravation, I am moving on.

#3 I also notice that in the last couple of YEARS they have done little or nothing with, or to improve the game anyway.

HEY HAWKEN ! GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE, WORK WITH YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS, OR LOSE CUSTOMERS (AND MONEY) !!!

There is no profit or success in ignoring problems, customers and players.

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Steam has always been a requirement to install Hawken and we don't forsee the installation process changing. It's free and easy to use, and has become a staple of our industry.

Currently it is not possible to buy anything without being logged into Steam, and we don't forsee that process changing, either.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

#1 I no longer use steam. Done with them. Uninstalled it, will never re-install, they are incompetent jerks who screwed up my main prized account under the guise of protecting me from an alleged hacking attempt. They refused to do what it takes to fix what THEY caused, gave them EVERY CHANCE to fix. My  main account is lost forever. To Hell with them.

#2 Cannot play without steam? - Oh well, then I obviously will NEVER buy and spend any for of game currency (Meteor Credits)

I have been caused enough trouble and aggravation, I am moving on.

#3 I also notice that in the last couple of YEARS they have done little or nothing with, or to improve the game anyway.

HEY HAWKEN ! GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE, WORK WITH YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS, OR LOSE CUSTOMERS (AND MONEY) !!!

k bai

• nepacaka and Pulcinella like this

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Steam has always been a requirement to install Hawken.

Not true.  Meteor Entertainment used to have a stand alone launcher prior to Feb 14th 2014.  I still have the installer executables.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

Epsilon_Knight

Epsilon_Knight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

NECROTIC THREAD ALERT.

With a crypost from a brand new forum account, and a name I've definitely never seen in game.

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I have it setup both ways. I can launch with Steam or launch without it. Yeah if you launch without it your score in Steam does not increase and with Steam is the ony way to buy stuff. And yeah I remember all the contraversy when it went to Steam. Lot of people were teed off.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Steam has always been a requirement to install Hawken and we don't forsee the installation process changing. It's free and easy to use, and has become a staple of our industry.

Currently it is not possible to buy anything without being logged into Steam, and we don't forsee that process changing, either.

we've been through and through this

• it is a marketplace BEFORE it is a game launcher, you are isolating your game to a SINGLE marketplace and then TRICKING YOURSELVES into thinking the STIGMA behind the STEAM BRAND does not cause your potential customer base to SHRINK
  1. dunno what RLD OR ADH told your/them-selves to believe this but its foolishness, unfortunately ADH did this and no dev, business, corporation, or government wants to do MORE work just to reverse something thats been done.
  2. which is also foolish, ask any mechanical or otherwise engineer why including the option "reverse" is important, go ahead, while you do that, ill tie you up and feed the rope into a wood chipper, break off the key, and see what you do when you find out it doesnt have a reverse option on it.

• it is NOT a staple of the industry,
  1. piggybacking on its service does NOT make YOU a staple of the industry,
  2. being misled to believe something ridiculous of that magnitude usually results in drunk driving into a tree on purpose

• successful f2p games and sims, no matter how constricting their niche, have succeeded with stand alone or proprietary launchers until such a time they were ready to introduce their product to steam market

• your first sentence is a half truth based around the timing of your bosses virtually SILENT takeover of hawken for fractions of a penny on the dollar

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Steam has always been a requirement to install Hawken

Mmmm.  Rewrite as, "For longer than I have been working on Hawken, Steam has been a requirement to install Hawken."

I don't get the animosity toward Steam.  I don't use it because I think it's one more (unnecessary) thing to slow down bandwidth & consume processor cycles, nor do I buy other games.

• hellc9943 likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I don't get the animosity toward Steam.  I don't use it because I think it's one more (unnecessary) thing to slow down bandwidth & consume processor cycles, nor do I buy other games.

There's a lot of benefits for developers and end users using Steam. Probably one of the fastest content delivery networks and it's an easy way to link game accounts to an existing system with no hassle. The benefits of using Steam outweigh the negatives.

Steam doesn't use that much CPU cycles and only uses bandwidth when you tell it - if at all - when compared to its competition. It used to be a big pain to use Steam, I recall the days when CS 1.6 was on Steam and it had all sorts of issues, but it's come leaps and bounds since then.

successful f2p games and sims, no matter how constricting their niche, have succeeded with stand alone or proprietary launchers until such a time they were ready to introduce their product to steam market

False. Plenty of games require Steam or have Steam as their platform of distribution and have been successful besides Valve. Rust, Undertale, the plethora of indie developers that have released their games on Steam exclusively, etc.

Furthermore, historically, Hawken wasn't a successful game. Spending tons of money on bandwidth for content delivery networks probably contributed to the downfall of the game. We're looking to cut costs, not increase them - and that was never something we wanted to do, but we needed to do so this game can operate.

Edited by CZeroFive, 06 March 2017 - 09:54 AM.

• DerMax likes this

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Well plenty of games have launchers that are available through steam as well as independently, so from a technical perspective you can make steam+notsteam work together just fine.

It seems like the crux of the issue is that the current Hawken team does not have the resources to support an independent launcher/updater service.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

we've been through and through this

• it is a marketplace BEFORE it is a game launcher, you are isolating your game to a SINGLE marketplace and then TRICKING YOURSELVES into thinking the STIGMA behind the STEAM BRAND does not cause your potential customer base to SHRINK. So they should build (rebuild?) their own launcher and lose all the traffic they receive from Steam searches that would return Hawken as a search result? Do you seriously believe that more people intentionally avoid Hawken because of a Steam "stigma" than the number of people that find Hawken because it was on Steam in the first place (like I did)?
  1. dunno what RLD OR ADH told your/them-selves to believe this but its foolishness, unfortunately ADH did this and no dev, business, corporation, or government wants to do MORE work just to reverse something thats been done.
  2. which is also foolish, ask any mechanical or otherwise engineer why including the option "reverse" is important, go ahead, while you do that, ill tie you up and feed the rope into a wood chipper, break off the key, and see what you do when you find out it doesnt have a reverse option on it. You obviously haven't asked any mechanical or otherwise engineer (or you did, and they're idiots) the question you're yelling at C05 to ask. Bullets, rockets, and many motors don't have a "reverse". While I initially thought your analogy was terrible, I realized that you highlighted that a successful business won't  waste development and engineering cycles implementing unnecessary features (like putting reverse on a rocket booster), so in a way you're proven the correct point.

But seriously. Did you think this out before posting?

• it is NOT a staple of the industry,
  1. piggybacking on its service does NOT make YOU a staple of the industry, They never said that using Steam made them a staple of the industry.
  2. being misled to believe something ridiculous of that magnitude usually results in drunk driving into a tree on purpose It's hard to take your points seriously when they're exaggerated to the point of hysteria
  • successful f2p games and sims, no matter how constricting their niche, have succeeded with stand alone or proprietary launchers until such a time they were ready to introduce their product to steam market But not every f2p game and sim that has been successful has started out with a stand alone launcher and moved to Steam.
  • your first sentence is a half truth based around the timing of your bosses virtually SILENT takeover of hawken for fractions of a penny on the dollar Do you understand what NDAs are and why they're necessary?

Calm yo tatas, they're scaring the children.

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 06 March 2017 - 10:50 AM.

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Sad.

This is sad.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

There's a lot of benefits for developers and end users using Steam. Probably one of the fastest content delivery networks and it's an easy way to link game accounts to an existing system with no hassle. The benefits of using Steam outweigh the negatives.

Steam doesn't use that much CPU cycles and only uses bandwidth when you tell it - if at all - when compared to its competition. It used to be a big pain to use Steam, I recall the days when CS 1.6 was on Steam and it had all sorts of issues, but it's come leaps and bounds since then.

Thanks, this helps. I had hobbies and a lifestyle very removed from gaming when I was younger. I was doing other things while people were ranting about Steam, and I haven't played UT or Quake online, I've never played any Valve game (my kids make jokes about turrets whispering when I swear about turrets in Hawken).

You should call me Luna.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
Drink.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

ARCH3TYP3

ARCH3TYP3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I hated Steam in 2005; it was buggy, unstable, slow and unruly.
Now, I actually like it.
I can keep track of my friends. When they jump on Hawken, I try and join them.
It's stable and unobtrusive.
I like browsing within genres.
  • Amidatelion likes this

"Finally, the white knight I deserve. [ARCHETYPE]" -  Amidatelion

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Drink.

Uh... I guess I mentioned the name of another game? 

You should call me Luna.

Nymwasob

Nymwasob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

My whole interest in this discussion has directly to do with customer service.
I had a good account once, with two masters, Hawken and Steam, chaos can happen to ruin an otherwise good account and lose customers.
Hawken and/or Steam told me that someone alegedly tried to hack my account, and if so, unsuccessfully.
What happened aftwerward was that the remedies of Hwkan and Steam screwed things up worse that the hacking attempt and cause a situation where I could no longer log into my good account. In this, the combination of two masters resulted in worse damage in ruining my account for YEARS, despite my please and then insistance thay they fix what they had broken. That is why I do not like too many cooks in the stew, or two masters of the same game, and the confusion and chaos that ruined my good account. I had invested real world money in that account, and real time, as well as other things.
If such happened to any of you, you would be ticked off too.

Both Hawken and steam refused to do what it took to fix what they broke, and that is also why I was ticked off, and rightfully so.

There has FINALLY been a positive development...
I have been contacted by someone at Hawken with the intent to come to a solution that would result in my getting my good account back and setting things right.
I can only wait and see what actually results............................................................................................................................................

Nymwasob

Nymwasob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Well, I should have known better...
At first, things seemed promising. Finally someone at Hawken decided to try to be helpful.
I was told that the problem had been fixed. But when I logged in, it was still not my good account as promised.
Oh well, I would just let them know that the fix did not take on the first try.....
- No reply.... for weeks...
I sent another message about it, and waited......
For months......
At least two more replies since then, and they don't have the decency to give me any reply at all, much less keep thier word about fixing the problem.
Soon it will likely b e TREE YEARS OR MORE since they messed up my good account, and all I have gotten is jerked around!

No money guys... Not buying any more meteor credits...
Not when this is the rude, unprofessional, incompetent way you do things!
Let's see if they are even honest enough to allow this post...

Gueber

Gueber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but the console versions don't use steam do they?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2017 Is Going To Be A Great Year For HAWKEN!

qeR5kU2.gifNBzGwOK.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lion_ThunderPants

Lion_ThunderPants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Steam doesn't have anything to do with consoles, AFAIK. Otherwise they would be Steam Machines?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users