• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I had this idea as I was driving through Bremmerton and saw a couple of the retired aircraft carriers rusting away. My thought is, in the Hawken universe, we've moved passed a time when that sort of naval technology is in widespread use. And, we definitely have a sea, as illustrated by Bunker. The layout of this map would be something for the devs to consider in order to make it balanced, but I think this could be a pretty cool map concept. I added a couple images to try and illustrate my vision a little bit.

Spoiler
A carrier. Big honkin' thing with lots of wide open space as you can see. My idea for adding cover here is to add wrecked planes of some kind. Other options for cover on the wide open deck would be to have fallen wreckage from a taller ship next to it, such as a battleship mast or containers from a cargo ship.

Spoiler

One carrier probably isn't enough for a map, so you wreck a few more ships (carriers, battleships, cargo, fishing, whatever), through them together and let them rust a bit. Very easy to make a map have some vertical to it through the use of different ship types, although I realize that jump pads would look a little out of place here.

Spoiler

Another cool picture I found, something like this could work as a similar idea that incorporates a bit of a city or port. I believe this image is from another video game, but I thought it looked very Hawken-esque so I threw it in.

Edited by crockrocket, 28 March 2015 - 11:39 AM.

• Guns_N_Rozer, HorseHeadProphet and DisorderlyMechanic like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

A port. A port would be epic. Though you realize it's still WAY, WAY TOO EARLY for map suggestions right??

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

A port. A port would be epic. Though you realize it's still WAY, WAY TOO EARLY for map suggestions right??

Totally, I just wanted to suggest it before I forgot! That way I can find it later and dredge it up when the time comes (hurr hurr)

Edited by crockrocket, 28 March 2015 - 11:48 AM.

JgQjgkx.png

DisorderlyMechanic

DisorderlyMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I like this idea and would love to see it implemented. Maybe it could have 3 ships, this way in siege 2 of the ships could have a base on each one and the center could have the AA and eu stations on them. 

Also the third ship is concept art for rivet city from the fallout franchise.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

This would work.  Can we have the sea very polluted?

HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

First, I'd just like to say we gotta keep in mind the map design process when we ask for things like this. The actual map has to be designed and built before a styling can be applied to it. Folks tend to ask for a map in a particular style first and foremost, but in reality, there has to be a map in reserve that could easily be retouched to fit that particular theme. What kinds of gameplay elements would you expect to see in a shipyard map? Water and old ships, right? Well first thing to do would be to design a map that includes these elements, then play-test it to see if it's fun and balanced (and if not, revisions, revisions, etc.), THEN the styling can start to be applied. Basically, what i'm saying is, it's extra difficult if you try to start designing something with your vision for a finished product already in mind.

Now in reply to your suggestion, how about a map like wet work from cod4, but instead of a ship, the battle would take place on the deck of a hawken battleship?

• crockrocket likes this

SandSpider2

SandSpider2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
There was a great thread back in the old forums for this topic, it was started by Spliff Craven if I remember correctly.

Here are some of the suggestions that I can remember.

Dock yard by the ocean with large cranes and containers.
Mech graveyard map ( full of rusting old mechs and spare parts )
Bridges map ( canyon with three or four bridges. play above, and on canyon floor )
Space Port with hangers and ships.
Canyons map ( lots of twisty turny canyons all linked up with limited field of view )
Bombed out city in ruins. See below
RuinedCity1_zpsf5003a72.jpg

Extinct volcanic map with lava tubes and other weird landscape stuff.

Floating air base that you can fall off of it you are not careful. see below.
SkyPlatformMap_zpsd6c94a50.png

Vitrolium processing plant like a large factory with an eerie blue glow, See below.
Odour_Foundry_zps76391acc.jpg

Large refinery type map, See below.
Refinary4_zps1db51f41.jpg
Refinary1_zps2397c6e0.jpg

Night time maps, was a popular suggestion.

Some kind of large underground cave complex like a huge mine.

I'll add more when I an remember them.

Edited by SandSpider2, 28 March 2015 - 12:46 PM.

SandSpiderBanner%207_zpsf0vtqnox.png

The Atlas Of Illal https://community.pl...atlas-of-illal/

Illal Maps and Information https://community.pl...nd-information/
An Interview With Laila https://community.pl...iew-with-laila/

The Quarantine of Illal https://community.pl...ntine-of-illal/

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

something like plane crash map like wreckage  :yes:

but what is the history will be....when i was traveling with Airbus A330 ,it was crashed in wreckage .but there were only one survive , do u know who is ? 

Me me me me ,because i was driving the plane ,and no one was there  :teehee: only one in that plane .and i came back  in hawken and told them my story , they build this map  :yes:

so we r looking for a story in abandon ship -------->

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

First, I'd just like to say we gotta keep in mind the map design process when we ask for things like this. The actual map has to be designed and built before a styling can be applied to it. Folks tend to ask for a map in a particular style first and foremost, but in reality, there has to be a map in reserve that could easily be retouched to fit that particular theme. What kinds of gameplay elements would you expect to see in a shipyard map? Water and old ships, right? Well first thing to do would be to design a map that includes these elements, then play-test it to see if it's fun and balanced (and if not, revisions, revisions, etc.), THEN the styling can start to be applied. Basically, what i'm saying is, it's extra difficult if you try to start designing something with your vision for a finished product already in mind.

Now in reply to your suggestion, how about a map like wet work from cod4, but instead of a ship, the battle would take place on the deck of a hawken battleship?

Great point Hubba, I hadn't considered that.

JgQjgkx.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users