54 replies to this topic

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Hey, I  remember this thread,

AND I just poured some of the Coffey Grain.

OMG this is malt heaven.

• DemitronPrime likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Hey, I  remember this thread,

AND I just poured some of the Coffey Grain.

OMG this is malt heaven.

I just finished the Deveron.  

I has a jealous.

• DemitronPrime likes this

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Hey all you aficionados. Help a skrub.

I have actually yet to buy myself scotch before, but I am going to this week. I have no idea what I'm doing though.

Recommend to me a good "entry level" that's cheapish (~50$ give or take; I'd prefer to stay on the lower side of that tho, but can splurge a little). I'd prefer to try a single malt, and I don't mind peatiness.

Edited by DeeRax, 06 March 2017 - 08:36 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I was sooo tempted today... but bills be bills and i dont have the luxury. however Im intending on sharing a nice little treasure with you guys soon, i just need to wait on the calendar

• DeeRax likes this

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Hey all you aficionados. Help a skrub.

I have actually yet to buy myself scotch before, but I am going to this week. I have no idea what I'm doing though.

Recommend to me a good "entry level" that's cheapish (~50$ give or take; I'd prefer to stay on the lower side of that tho, but can splurge a little). I'd prefer to try a single malt, and I don't mind peatiness.

Glenfiddich 12 or Bowmore 15. Save the adventures in peat for when someone else is buying.
  • DeeRax likes this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Dee,

I have an Abelour 12yr (unfiltered) which is really nice for a newcomer.  Malty, rich, it'll 'open-up' with an ice-cube in it and let you taste all the flavors in it.  It's a Speyside.

• DeeRax likes this

You should call me Luna.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Dee,

I have an Abelour 12yr (unfiltered) which is really nice for a newcomer.  Malty, rich, it'll 'open-up' with an ice-cube in it and let you taste all the flavors in it.  It's a Speyside.

It never ceases to amaze me the discrepancy between Canadian and American alcohol prices. That thing's like $70 up here, but we regularly get Lagavulin below 40.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
Its about $52 at the Total Wine down the street. Spec's has it for about $56 iirc.

You should call me Luna.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Danke for the suggestions.
Was interested in the Bowmore & Abelour, but they were both like 80$ at my local ABC (walking distance from my house). Not entirely out of my price range this go-around, but almost, considering I have never bought scotch before (outside of some Glenlivet at a bar).

On the other hand Ardbeg 10 was on sale for 40$.

NOT disappointed, pretty much exactly what I was looking for; satisfied with my purchase. I guess also I like peat as opposed to "not minding it."

Now that I'm all-aboard, I'll  spring for something in the 80-100$ range next time (Whenever that will be...). Still interested in Bowmore.

Edited by DeeRax, 07 March 2017 - 03:34 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Danke for the suggestions.
Was interested in the Bowmore & Abelour, but they were both like 80$ at my local ABC (walking distance from my house). Not entirely out of my price range this go-around, but almost, considering I have never bought scotch before (outside of some Glenlivet at a bar).

On the other hand Ardbeg 10 was on sale for 40$.

NOT disappointed, pretty much exactly what I was looking for; satisfied with my purchase. I guess also I like peat as opposed to "not minding it."

Now that I'm all-aboard, I'll  spring for something in the 80-100$ range next time (Whenever that will be...). Still interested in Bowmore.

Welcome to the brotherhood then :D

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
The Glenlivet is a nice entry into single malt. Johnnie Black is a very drinkable entry level blended for the beginner. It's nice to see others enjoy Laphoraig. I find them to be one of the better deals for big peety flavor. The bartenders I have around me usually will be sipping on that if that means anything.

wmmoney.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

The Glenlivet is a nice entry into single malt. Johnnie Black is a very drinkable entry level blended for the beginner. It's nice to see others enjoy Laphoraig. I find them to be one of the better deals for big peety flavor. The bartenders I have around me usually will be sipping on that if that means anything.

Which Glenlivet and which Laphoraig are you talking about?

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Probably The Glenlivet 12.  Either it or The MacCallan 12 are my 'airport bar' drinks, widely available, dependable quality/taste.

You should call me Luna.

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
12 with the Glenlivet. 18 is very nice for a find it everywhere bottle. Laph 10 is good jumping off point. I always suggest to start low then go high you can appreciate the differences in age more. McCallsn always reminds me of a fine bourbon.

wmmoney.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Hey. Hey, Luna. Hey Luna.

ocY7zxk.jpg

Hey.

• Fantus_Longhorn likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic