• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Neraste

Neraste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

I just heard about Orlando bloodbath, I am speechless. I can't understand why someone made the decision to kill as much human as possible just because they live differently, and was ready to die for it. Words won't make these humans back to life, so, what can be done instead is to stand proud and strong altogether, humans.

I'm not good at this, so, if you have one word or two to share, this is a topic for it.

• Aregon, Miscellaneous, SandSpider2 and 8 others like this

hkn_sign_mdh_by_neraste-d8oyzgq.pnghkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

• dorobo, Aregon, Miscellaneous and 6 others like this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

-snip-  what can be done instead is to stand proud and strong altogether, humans.

I'm not good at this, so, if you have one word or two to share, this is a topic for it.

You said it all in that sentence ... JS

• SandSpider2 likes this

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

https://community.pl...

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

There's a lot of talk of prayers, thoughts and well-wishes and if that is what you can offer best, then thank you.

But if you'd like to offer more, raise your voice. Write your elected officials. Speak against bigotry in public, explain to people their in-born biases and teach the next generation what love and acceptance really are.

And remember that there are people who stand with you, who support you. Google is your friend and if things are overwhelming right now, shoot me a line. I've spent almost a decade helping set up support organizations, I'll see you sorted.

Above all, never, ever give up.

We are unbowed, unbroken, and strong.

Edited by Amidatelion, 13 June 2016 - 06:13 PM.

• Miscellaneous, Neraste, MomOw and 3 others like this

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

It's hard to struggle with violence, hatred, and intolerance. I think I would know having witnessed a lot of domestic violence in a background of a lot of other physical and emotional abuse. It was bad enough to hear about it knowing that some disgusting people were jeering at Target after someone bombed a women's bathroom, and then this happened. What's worse is learning that the shooter himself was probably gay.

It honestly doesn't feel as surprising as some people seem to understand it as. Maybe people don't grasp how easy it is to wind up living in a circumstance in which it seems that every social force at every scale that you know is begging for you and squeezing down on you to be hateful and violent, both toward others and yourself. It makes me bitter to think about it, this sort of ignorance, but even more bitter to think that someone out there is thinking "serves them right."

Even though I say that, it's not as though this didn't surprise me or totally fuzzy bunny me up. Part of it is a realization to how close that violence is to my identity. The only two things that really put me out of harm's way are luck, to have been born and to have lived in elsewhere, and a disinterest in clubbing.

Now here's a thing I wrote.

---

What does data mean and how is it useful? What meaning is created when data is analyzed? In the process of analyzing statistics concerning the dead, is a piece of humanity lost? Would that piece be that of the living or the dead?

Is there meaning to be the same age as one of the victims? Is a piece of humanity regained when you reflect that one of them might have been you?

What now does it mean to have lived through this? What consequence do we create?

I suppose that writing a silly script and some silly words is my way of piecing together a bit of my own humanity. Maybe someone else will do the same and then maybe a reader finds something of value from the data, perhaps another piece of humanity. Maybe I've just played too much Dark Souls recently.

Nonetheless, in this process of writing, so too do I write "I am alive," and so too it is written "They were alive," and in that if I cannot find humanity, at least I can find some comfort or peace.

---

Reference: http://www.cityoforl...t/blog/victims/

Script (Python 3.5): https://www.dropbox....

49 victims.
Average age is 29
Median age is 32
Oldest was 50
Youngest was 18
Total years lived is 1439

Age distribution:
1 at age 18
1 at age 19
1 at age 20
2 at age 21
3 at age 22
1 at age 23
3 at age 24
8 at age 25
2 at age 26
2 at age 27
1 at age 28
2 at age 29
2 at age 30
2 at age 31
3 at age 32
3 at age 33
1 at age 34
2 at age 35
1 at age 36
3 at age 37
1 at age 39
1 at age 40
1 at age 41
1 at age 49
1 at age 50
Most common age is 25 with 8 people

Data retrieved 2016-06-14 02:16:47.704362 PST

• Neraste and HeavyMetalFenix like this

Thank you for your time,

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

^--<3 Honest...

just fixing title page...

Edited by -TDM- Demitron-Prime, 14 June 2016 - 05:59 AM.

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

One thing that made it extra heinous to me when I saw the news Sunday, is it is a desecration of one of our holiest of American cultural cities, Orlando. John Oliver notably mentioned it.

A mind boggling number of Americans visit Disney at least once in their lives in a sort of Hajj.

In fact reports are emerging that the attacker scouted the famed amusement park in days prior.

It's like a blow to our core values and our progress toward an American concept of tolerance.

But like John said, we vastly outnumber the bad guys. They cannot win.

orlando-vigil-crowd-orange-county-061316

To quote another American saint, Fred Rogers, "In times of catastrophe, look for the helpers. There you will see hope.

orlando-shooting-blood-drive-2016-06-12.

• Neraste likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users