• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

Has there been any posts on this?

The damage output of this mech is pretty crazy. 

On top of that, it has regenerative abilities upon getting kills and assists, AND its ability is heat cool down.

I always do WAY better than average with this mech. As I'm sure almost anyone can considering it's used so much. 

Something needs to change with this mech. Be it different internals, lower heat capacity, or a different primary ability since heat buildup is really the only thing limiting the damage output of the dual mini-guns.

What say YOU???

• (PS4)OVERKILL-PR- likes this

(PS4)peacecraftSLD

(PS4)peacecraftSLD

• PlayStation Members
  • 25 posts

The Assault is fine. Really the mech is amazing in the open field. But they actually took away the best thing about the Assault.......the TOW. It was WAY more monstrous because of that. The reason is because you can deal burst damage right away and get people around corners when they dodge. The current Assault lost that and is really only good if there is no place to hide from its double vulcans.

The Assault is a good mech but it was stronger before the move to console. I do like where it is and what it brings to the table as now we have a mech that is all sustain. It feels more unique than before.

• (PS4)Evaius likes this

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

The Assault is fine. Really the mech is amazing in the open field. But they actually took away the best thing about the Assault.......the TOW. It was WAY more monstrous because of that. The reason is because you can deal burst damage right away and get people around corners when they dodge. The current Assault lost that and is really only good if there is no place to hide from its double vulcans.

The Assault is a good mech but it was stronger before the move to console. I do like where it is and what it brings to the table as now we have a mech that is all sustain. It feels more unique than before.

Meh... I've used it and it BLOWS through heavy mechs way too easily. even while they're in turret mode and supposed to have greater armor from the front. Medium and light mechs don't really stand a chance. Light mechs probably have the best chance simply because they're faster.

every time i play online if someone is using an assault mech, 99 times out of 100 they're on top of the scoreboard. back when i used it i would always get about 5 more kills than usual with any other mech. i stopped using it just because it feels so cheap. regarding its performance it's consistently an outlier. and this should not be the case. on PS4 anyway.

(PS4)War_MachineXL

(PS4)War_MachineXL

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 121 posts
Steady dps with no burst. Just can't get close to it but it seems to do really well at medium range too. Besides lowering its effective range it seems fine. I have owned it from long range with Sharpshooter and Reaper. High burst dmg mechs like Infiltrator and Berserker own it in close range. The major problem with this mech is the herding. Hawken feels more like a cow simulator.

(PS4)Evaius

(PS4)Evaius

• PlayStation Members
  • 28 posts

Meh... I've used it and it BLOWS through heavy mechs way too easily. even while they're in turret mode and supposed to have greater armor from the front. Medium and light mechs don't really stand a chance. Light mechs probably have the best chance simply because they're faster.

every time i play online if someone is using an assault mech, 99 times out of 100 they're on top of the scoreboard. back when i used it i would always get about 5 more kills than usual with any other mech. i stopped using it just because it feels so cheap. regarding its performance it's consistently an outlier. and this should not be the case. on PS4 anyway.

It is working as intended in those situations. As the name implies the assault is meant to shred defensive mechs in the open. If you are having trouble facing them, remember that the damage from the assault is easily mitigated by breaking line of sight. As for the C classes falling fast in turret mode...Unless you are in a vanguard the increased frontal damage resistance is pitiful at best compared to being able to avoid damage from having mobility.

Edited by (PS4)Evaius, 11 September 2016 - 09:56 AM.

Team captain of Axe-Attack.

Check out my Twitch page!

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

It is working as intended in those situations. As the name implies the assault is meant to shred defensive mechs in the open. If you are having trouble facing them, remember that the damage from the assault is easily mitigated by breaking line of sight. As for the C classes falling fast in turret mode...Unless you are in a vanguard the increased frontal damage resistance is pitiful at best compared to being able to avoid damage from having mobility.

I'm only talking about co-op team deathmatch. "I" myself am not having trouble defeating the assault mech simply because i don't think the computer ever uses it.

what i'm saying is that whenever there is a human player on my team using the assault mech they are usually on top of the scoreboard about 100 points ahead of 2nd place. I almost NEVER see that happen with ANY other mech. 

Now why would this be happening if the assault mech is "not" overpowered like you're saying?

• (PS4)Evaius likes this

(PS4)Evaius

(PS4)Evaius

• PlayStation Members
  • 28 posts

I'm only talking about co-op team deathmatch. "I" myself am not having trouble defeating the assault mech simply because i don't think the computer ever uses it.

what i'm saying is that whenever there is a human player on my team using the assault mech they are usually on top of the scoreboard about 100 points ahead of 2nd place. I almost NEVER see that happen with ANY other mech. 

Now why would this be happening if the assault mech is "not" overpowered like you're saying?

It is not overpowered because it doesn't give an unfair advantage to the pilot using the mech. Bot matches are not a very accurate test bed for balance in Hawken.

Team captain of Axe-Attack.

Check out my Twitch page!

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

It is not overpowered because it doesn't give an unfair advantage to the pilot using the mech. Bot matches are not a very accurate test bed for balance in Hawken.

Doesn't give an unfair advantage? So you're saying all of the BEST hawken players just "happen" to be using the assault mech?

(PS4)Emagas92

(PS4)Emagas92

• PlayStation Members
  • 8 posts

Doesn't give an unfair advantage? So you're saying all of the BEST hawken players just "happen" to be using the assault mech?

No. The assault mech is one of the most accessible mechs along with the berserker, being next to the CRT in the mech tree. This means a lot of people are going to be using it in general, and therefore you're more likely to see decent players using it than other mechs which will take a little more dedication to reach. This especially depends on your MMR, which, if only around average, will frequently put you with people new to the game. Whenever I'm put into a lower-tier match, it's not surprising to see teams with 3 or more assaults. Add to this that the assault is well-rounded, and that it's relatively similar to the CRT (sans tow missile), and it becomes even more appealing as a first mech for mastery. These players who are "the best" (which against bots is, let's face it, a lackluster distinction) are likely people who have just grown very comfortable with the assault playstyle. 

Overall, I think this might just be a case of confirmation bias. This isn't to say that the assault can't be used effectively, but it's certainly not overpowered.

Edited by (PS4)Emagas92, 12 September 2016 - 06:32 PM.

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

No. The assault mech is one of the most accessible mechs along with the berserker, being next to the CRT in the mech tree. This means a lot of people are going to be using it in general, and therefore you're more likely to see decent players using it than other mechs which will take a little more dedication to reach. This especially depends on your MMR, which, if only around average, will frequently put you with people new to the game. Whenever I'm put into a lower-tier match, it's not surprising to see teams with 3 or more assaults. Add to this that the assault is well-rounded, and that it's relatively similar to the CRT (sans tow missile), and it becomes even more appealing as a first mech for mastery. These players who are "the best" (which against bots is, let's face it, a lackluster distinction) are likely people who have just grown very comfortable with the assault playstyle. 

Overall, I think this might just be a case of confirmation bias. This isn't to say that the assault can't be used effectively, but it's certainly not overpowered.

It makes perfect sense that you would see an assault, CR-T, or bruiser mech more often than the technician or raider (just for example) simply because they would involve not playing CoD for a longer period of time, lol. 

If "accessibility" were the only factor then I should see the bruiser, CR-T, and assault mech on top of the scoreboard about  as equally as often. But if there's an assault mech on the team, 99 times out of a 100, that's the person on top. Why does this happen so often if it's not overpowered? 

Maybe people just don't generally pay attention to that type of stuff. 

(PS4)Emagas92

(PS4)Emagas92

• PlayStation Members
  • 8 posts

It makes perfect sense that you would see an assault, CR-T, or bruiser mech more often than the technician or raider (just for example) simply because they would involve not playing CoD for a longer period of time, lol. 

If "accessibility" were the only factor then I should see the bruiser, CR-T, and assault mech on top of the scoreboard about  as equally as often. But if there's an assault mech on the team, 99 times out of a 100, that's the person on top. Why does this happen so often if it's not overpowered? 

Maybe people just don't generally pay attention to that type of stuff. 

People aren't likely to stick with the CRT for very long once they can use something else, and the bruiser is unlocked after the assault... did you mean berserker? The berserker is the first available light mech, which requires better movement than the assault to use effectively, but is just as easily able to top the scoreboard.

I feel like this is just your experience, to be honest, because assaults aren't that commonly the MVP in the matches I play in. Have you tried actually playing the assault? You've been saying that other people using it make it seem overpowered, but I want to know if you feel that way when you're the one using it. I personally have to say that I'm not that good with it; I'm much better with burst-damage mechs.

Edited by (PS4)Emagas92, 13 September 2016 - 09:51 AM.

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

People aren't likely to stick with the CRT for very long once they can use something else, and the bruiser is unlocked after the assault... did you mean berserker? The berserker is the first available light mech, which requires better movement than the assault to use effectively, but is just as easily able to top the scoreboard.

I feel like this is just your experience, to be honest, because assaults aren't that commonly the MVP in the matches I play in. Have you tried actually playing the assault? You've been saying that other people using it make it seem overpowered, but I want to know if you feel that way when you're the one using it. I personally have to say that I'm not that good with it; I'm much better with burst-damage mechs.

Yes I meant the berserker. I always mix up those names, lol. 

Of course I have used the assault mech myself. I did significantly better with the assault mech than I would do with the CR-T (after practicing/using the CR-T for long enough to unlock the assault mech, mind you). I only used it about 3 or 4 times just because it felt so cheap. Gameplay is just not engaging if all you have to do is hold down two buttons while your mech mows everything down.

I'm not saying it needs a major nerf, it just needs to be tweaked in order to put it on par with the other mechs in the game.

Also, I'm not the "typical" player that wants the game to be easy. I've never been a fan of abilities and "perks" that give you a FREE kills (i.e. airstrikes, AC130, nuke, etc.). But I do know that 99.99% of players LOVE games that give out cheap kills like Halloween candy like that. Which is exactly why CoD can copy, paste, and make millions every year. Also why most will NEVER admit when a weapon/ability is overpowered but they will use it EVERY chance they get in order to get cheap kills. I'm not implying that you (Emagas92) are like that, but the majority of players most definitely are. 

(PS4)vinenalist

(PS4)vinenalist

• PlayStation Members
  • 3 posts
I've personally prefer the bruiser in game while assault I personally feel cheap, but the mech it self is balanced for new players to advance on. While stating with a little skill it's clear the assault is a situational mech on the battlefield

(PS4)Kirchiri

(PS4)Kirchiri

• PlayStation Members
  • 22 posts
The assault mech is fine in my opinion on console. To be honest it's not that powerful once you get into top tier matches. Practically no one uses it there as it's not well suited for more than 1 on 1 combat.

Personally I use the CRT Recruit and find it much more powerful than the assault and more versatile with the Tow launcher.

The assault is balanced where it is. And to be honest I rarely see it in the top 3 on the scoreboard in most matches I play due to its limited range and heating problems.
  • (PS4)frostdragon2013 likes this

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

Well, I've been playing hawken for a while now. Played enough to max out rank on the CR-T and Scout. I have definitely seen myself improve with the scout and CR-T as compared to when I first started playing the game. 

There have been plenty of times where I've done better than players using the assault mech. Sometimes the assault mechs do better than me. But in both cases I've noticed our scores are not significantly different. I'm thinking the AI bots engage all players the same, regardless of what weapons they're using. So they don't know to keep their distance from close range mechs. This is easily exploited by newer players and that's probably why they have tended to do better with it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Assault, Assault Mech, Overpowered, OP, Nerf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users