- - - - - homing missiles homing missiles cheap overpowered OP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

So I've noticed about 90% of my deaths are from these homing missiles. It's just getting ridiculous. Which, considering they take zero skill to use, is pretty bad if the objective for this game is for it to be "competitive".

With the simple press of a button, you're pretty much guaranteed a hit (as well as practically 50% damage) if there's no cover to break the line of fire. This is bad. A competitive shooter should not have a "fire and forget" weapon that can do that amount of damage. If it "must" remain in the game which I'm assuming is the case, there needs to be a fewer amount of missiles fired per volley, less damage, weaker homing ability, something. 

The only similar weapons I can think of are the turrets. You place them and forget about them. Not much skill going on there. Obviously. But it's not that bad because they don't do a significant amount of damage and can be easily disposed of. Why don't the homing missiles follow the same logic? The less skill a weapon needs to be effective, the less damage it should do. 

If, however, Hawken is supposed to be some watered-down "casualized" shooter with maximum "accessibility" like CoD, then please disregard this post. I've been playing the wrong game this entire time. 

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Lockon timers are something we could adjust if it's a problem, so far this is really the only complaint I have seen about them though. Most A-Class Mechs do not have the issue of avoiding damage from these due to the ability to get behind cover quickly. I really haven't had the issue myself, depending on the map. Frontline is notoriously bad for leaving no cover, for example. Facility is another map that may have lock-on rockets as an issue.

I think the maps themselves might need more cover, though you have to remember that the Mech in question is largely useless without the rockets. Generally, I would think that we would avoid nerfing the damage first. if anything, there may need to be a longer lockon timer and shortened lockon range.

Side note, we want the action to be fast-paced or slow-paced depending on your internal loadout, mech class, and item choices. Generally, the combat should be fast-paced and more movement centric compared to Call of Duty. Slower mechs just can't avoid rockets if out in the open, and that's by design.

• (PS4)F0ppery likes this

(PS4)F0ppery

(PS4)F0ppery

Advanced Member

• PlayStation Members
  • 62 posts

I think shorter range for the target acquisition/lock  sounds good. Maybe even have a "too close" range limit as well. I usually play as lighter mechs because I like the mobility. I can usually get behind something if I see the incoming missile warning. But there are times where the enemy is so far away I have no idea where the missiles are even coming from. maybe the warning specifies the direction they're coming from and I just haven't paid attention to that. if it's not there, maybe experiment with that. It's mainly problem when there's more than one enemy using a mech with the homing missles since it becomes harder to find cover if you've got two open lines of fire on you. 

Then again, there are plenty of times where I've got multiple enemies on me simply because my team isn't keeping them in check so it's hard to say what it is. 

I'm fully aware that with veriety comes the issues with "balance". and if anything is even slightly better than everything else, most players are going to abuse the hell out it just to feed their egos. I definitely do not have all of the answers when it comes to balancing issues but I want to thank you (and the other devs) for working on it and actually acknowledging your players within these forums. There are other MUCH larger companies that just simply don't care.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homing missiles, homing, missiles, cheap, overpowered, OP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users