9 replies to this topic

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

The Ord is the McCree of Hawken:

My initial thoughts on playing the Ord (moreso w/ dual mags) since it got nerfed recently was that it was an awkward, kind of gimmicky high risk-low reward mech. At the very least, it is a fun mech to play because it challenges me to play and manage resources a bit differently while striving to do as much damage as possible.

In my experience, and while it is only on console right now, the better opposing players tend to try to stalemate, and ease the slaughter by using the Civ mech, because at least if they miss, there is usually a wall behind their target causing proximity damage with their twelve-puck bursts, and they become slightly useful; it doesn't win them games, unfortunately. The space between us is just as much of an advantage for me as well, because my aim is better. The other desirable alternative for the opposition is to pull out an Ord or two with the "fight fire with fire" tactic and try to intimidate me and 98% of the time it's with the RN-223/Mag combo; they catch me off guard here and there, but if I keep distance between us, they aren't a big deal. It's actually a bigger deal for them if my team is competent enough to handle their own without me. I've become quite difficult to approach when I'm aware of team positioning and the level of magnitude for potential flanks, given any particular position.

My best opposition is using two or more mechs with hellfires, but that's always a given, considering the playerbase of Hawken.

I'm actually not sure if the mech is OP, or will be when the PC version launches, but you got decent players sighing in lobbies(lol), even some good ones scratching their heads.

• Miscellaneous, Meraple, Amidatelion and 4 others like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Good to see someone who can actually aim post footage.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I enjoyed watching.
Seriously, RLD should pay you to be a playtester.
Then the scarey-good playtesters would learn what scarey-good actually looks like.
  • Flight1ess likes this

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I think because maintaining high heat entails constantly firing which puts you on radar, this mech will be less useful in organised groups and high mmr pubs.

• 6ixxer likes this

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Looks fun to play. :)

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I think because maintaining high heat entails constantly firing which puts you on radar, this mech will be less useful in organised groups and high mmr pubs.

Heat charge. Then again, once used, it only lasts three seconds. The funny thing is the heat charge has been bad for the ord as well; drop the heat charge on an ord  that's slowing down its' shots as to not overheat, and bam, they're out of the fight.

It could be used much like a Reaper or Sharpshooter. Just try to keep distance and land your shots, and if someone tries to flank, you might have the right amount of heat to do major damage - and it's not like you have to deal with scoping. The Ord doesn't necessarily have to be seen as a mech that is only viable when it has maintained heat, but rather where the Ord shines. The ord can kill mechs without overheating, just depends on the opponent and mech.

Speaking of items, shields aren't as powerful as they used to be, which has taken emp spamming down dramatically. Orbs have been nerfed, and turrets buffed...as a side note, I'd say there is more opportunity to implement other items into gameplay because of these changes. Because of this I would also claim that in some ways, gameplay has slowed down a little bit...at least for the ones who want to survive or make smart choices when encountering these items.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Id like to see an anti-repair-field-charge and a redox-charge that can be tossed into the aa or choke points to assist in pushing those objective points.
Sometimes they turn into tag teams of suppress and repair behind cover. These could keep the fights moving.
  • XPloyt likes this

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Id like to see an anti-repair-field-charge and a redox-charge that can be tossed into the aa or choke points to assist in pushing those objective points.
Sometimes they turn into tag teams of suppress and repair behind cover. These could keep the fights moving.

What about a cooling charge? Pshhh, might as well, right? Might as well cover every conceivable way of assisting game mechanics.  :tongue:

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
They have a mobile one called the incinerator. Also at least 1.5 mechs have it as their ability. And yes we should consider every way to assist game mechanics. One may actually get developed (Probably the one that shoots owls)

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

But omg who would want to play this game after watchin this? Those guns sound like some toy gun. I would gladly put that sound in some jelly bean match3 game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users