Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

As I understand it, MMR will evolve.  It:

• will start newbs at 1500 (was 1250)
  • will be reset each season (no idea how long a season is)

I think we have some suggestions:

• don't make it a ELO/Glicko system. No one suggested what we replace it with, tho
  • don't have underdog bonus
  • make anyone whose starting MMR is below 1750 and tops a server instantly 1750, see if they keep that MMR (smurf reduction/disincentive)
  • if the max-move was +/- 50, bring it back to +/- 13 (don't penalize OK players too much for losing badly to great players)

I personally think a Glicko system works, and I like the seasonal reset to keep MMR Runaway under control.  I'd suggest a season last no longer than 3 months (i.e. reset 4x a year, if not more frequently; maybe start at 4x/yr).  I support reducing underdog (don't remove it, as it'll let a focused pilot starting late in a season catch up).  I support reducing the swing because it'll keep competitive fire and not squash hopes and dreams. 

The 1750 thing... it's a suggestion.  It'll be hard to model.  I would like to try it; I think it's a concrete action to limit the discouraging effect of smurfs on newer players.

Your thoughts?

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

"This rating will replace your general matchmaking rating for the duration of the season." 

So - 1 game and you get a rating that wont change all season? Have one bad game and be stuck in low tier games until you get another chance at the beginning of the next season?

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

I think that was intended to indicate reset each season, not statically set for each season.

You should call me Luna.

Mag__

Mag__

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Let me try to clear up any confusion regarding to Competitive Rating:

At the start of a new season you will be given a Competitive Rating at the completion of your first Competitive Match. For Season 1 Competitive Match means any match other than BotsTDM or Bots Destruction. If you are an old player your initial placement will be influenced by your previous MMR, if you are a new player you will be placed in the Bronze tier (around 1000 MMR). 

Season Length: Will vary slightly and will likely coincide with Content Updates (resulting in seasons typically being 2-3 months long).

Smurf Issues: Part of this update was a change to how rating changes are adjusted after a match for players. In the upcoming update if a player scored 2 deviations above the mean match score, he/she will receive a significant boost to their rating change. This will help to boost smurfs to their appropriate MMR faster. These parameters (standard deviations above the mean, rating change multiplier) are adjustable in our backend.

Feel free to reach out to me, with any other questions or comments regarding the new Ranked PVP system. See you in Season 1!
-Mag

• FRX23, Robscancer, crockrocket and 8 others like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

So since this is apparently based of MMR, I'd like to hear from you all the ways people can game the system and what you've done to limit them.

I'd ask the community to hold off on telling them about those ways, I wanna see this play out.

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

if you are a new player you will be placed in the Bronze tier (around 1000 MMR).

Well that should be interesting. Last time I looked at the data there were like 100 total accounts under 1k mmr, and most of them looked to be errors. The distribution will be drastically different.

• Miscellaneous and _Andrea_ like this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Sounds good.

I was hoping for 1 mmr reset, but regular ones are a good idea.
2 std devs rule will help new accounts.

I see there are pvp grades on pilots, but will the browser indicate what the server grade average is or still just the 3 star system?
ie, not a good idea for bronze ranked players to enter gold/diamond lobbies unless they are a masochist.

Edited by 6ixxer, 16 May 2017 - 06:17 PM.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

So since this is apparently based of MMR, I'd like to hear from you all the ways people can game the system and what you've done to limit them.

I'd ask the community to hold off on telling them about those ways, I wanna see this play out.

I'm sure ss396 would have had plenty of answers....

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

_Andrea_

_Andrea_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

As I understand it, MMR will evolve.  It:

• will start newbs at 1500 (was 1250)
  • will be reset each season (no idea how long a season is)

I think we have some suggestions:

• don't make it a ELO/Glicko system. No one suggested what we replace it with, tho
  • don't have underdog bonus
  • make anyone whose starting MMR is below 1750 and tops a server instantly 1750, see if they keep that MMR (smurf reduction/disincentive)
  • if the max-move was +/- 50, bring it back to +/- 13 (don't penalize OK players too much for losing badly to great players)

I personally think a Glicko system works, and I like the seasonal reset to keep MMR Runaway under control.  I'd suggest a season last no longer than 3 months (i.e. reset 4x a year, if not more frequently; maybe start at 4x/yr).  I support reducing underdog (don't remove it, as it'll let a focused pilot starting late in a season catch up).  I support reducing the swing because it'll keep competitive fire and not squash hopes and dreams. 

The 1750 thing... it's a suggestion.  It'll be hard to model.  I would like to try it; I think it's a concrete action to limit the discouraging effect of smurfs on newer players.

Your thoughts?

• "Underdog bonus" is the biggest reason Smurfing make smurfers feels good, off course till level 25 i think  :tongue: .
  •  

I dont need to get LIFE

:pirate:  :tongue:  :rolleyes:  :yes:  :no:I am gamer so i have lots of LIVES  :pirate:  :tongue:  :rolleyes:  :yes:  :no:

YOUTUBE CHANNEl :https://www.youtube....xed8oIjVdsqQVQw

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Funny, I remember that we asked for a competitive mode five years ago and posted suggestions about seasonal MMR reset after the steam launch, OP was still figuring what a Glicko rating was and what the rotten data pile that is MMR did. I'm afraid that's a bit late. Now the ePeens will be cut and replaced with another insignificant number that will hardly grow due to a lack of player. That's a mathematical certainty. You won't have competitive matches with distinct tiers.

Here is a simple and easy suggestion to promote competitive gameplay on this shell of a game : Organize community events, with some ingame currency giveaway or prizes and promote them on the front page of the ingame UI and the site, instead of this vomiting blue/green "All you evar wanted on console" insult we had for years now.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

OP was still figuring what a Glicko rating was 

This is kind of insulting.  I'm sure if you worked at it, you could make it a bit more so.  You should never give less than your full effort, Mastodon. That's very important.

You should call me Luna.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Unrelated to the question I'm asking above, how many matches do you have to play to get placed?

• Luaq likes this

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Unrelated to the question I'm asking above, how many matches do you have to play to get placed?

Upon completion of that first match, you will be ranked among all other HAWKEN players. There are quite a few tiers that you can eventually rank up to based on your performance in matches.

Sounds like just one.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Here is a simple and easy suggestion to promote competitive gameplay on this shell of a game : Organize community events, with some ingame currency giveaway or prizes and promote them on the front page of the ingame UI and the site, instead of this vomiting blue/green "All you evar wanted on console" insult we had for years now.

Funny, I can't recall a single community event you were participating in these last 4 years.
Clean your room.
  • Amidatelion and TheButtSatisfier like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Sounds like just one.

Half a dozen matches in on console - not ranked.

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Half a dozen matches in on console - not ranked.

It's all about the re-login.

Played for a couple hours then decided to see if it would update if I restarted the game.

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Funny, I can't recall a single community event you were participating in these last 4 years.
Clean your room.

Funny, last thing I did with Hawken was a EU event when there still was a community one year ago. And I was several times in US Fightclubs when this was a thing. Stay on topic fuzzy bunnytard, I've filed my fair share of bug reports, supported the former devs and earn every right to comment on what I see fit, just go play with your smurfes and rot some gamedata. It's a beta after all.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
You havent been active in community events, which would explain why suggesting they be created seems like a new and unique idea to you.
How long has your pilot level been zero?
Maybe if you logged in and played some once in a while, people would know about all the rights you've earned.

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

You havent been active in community events, which would explain why suggesting they be created seems like a new and unique idea to you.
How long has your pilot level been zero?
Maybe if you logged in and played some once in a while, people would know about all the rights you've earned.

Learn to read, I suggested they supported community events, updated the front page of the site and implemented in the UI ways to promote community events, to which I participated plenty in my time before they focused development on console versions and that we're now greeted with this console ad when we launch the site.

I dont fuzzy bunnyng care if you know me or not. I'm a potentially returning user who happened to read about an idea suggested years ago that seems now a bit late to be useful. I've replied and gave feedback, what did you do? A wall of text about your edgy anti way philosophy? Now just try your hardest to figure out how this new MMR works and grind it, because it will be the only use of this. A new grind. Not a way to improve a matcfhmaker when your population is low enough to just bypass it.

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
I smell a tickle fight on frontline soon !!

wmmoney.png

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
So much potential... to return

lwY3QRd.jpg

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users