Photo

Request to purchase Hawken, to continue its glory.

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

@OP

That's very noble of you but i don't think it's worth the money, even if Hawken's IP would cost 50.000$, wich probably would cost more.

Hawken already has failed 2 times, see it as Duke Nukem Forever.

There is no saving Hawken, not with the current content, and name anyway...

Maybe you can start your own project, something fresh like 'Luak' already suggested. With a few guys, a small project, and who knows...

But if you do buy Hawken's IP :smile: and manage to create your version of Hawken, PLS don't call it Hawken :smile:

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAWKEN ---> hawken ---> hawken ---> RIP 2017

Hawken gameplay and funky fragmontages: Hawken playlist

Buy Free Mechs for 1234 $, NO SCAM, Babaji Approves

angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

that's very noble of you but i don't think it's worth the money

i argue that something's worth is based on the individual's perception, not your own.  

i could be wrong.   or i could be right.  how do we determine who is right or not? 

• -Tj- likes this

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

animation1a.gif

• DieselCat likes this

Texhnolyzing

Texhnolyzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

With a decent kick-starter I'd be willing to volunteer time as a software engineer or put forth money to help work towards a new game.

I know a lot of friends who worked on a project reverse engineering halo 2's online matchmaking for PC after the official servers went down... 

They went from game un-launchable to private/public matchmaking with voice chat re-enabled. A playbase of around 100-200 interested people and a coding team of around 5-20 people working on a single repository for years before it has reached a lot of milestones.

Just saying that there are lots of routes to take, I'd prefer to pursue the legal ones towards a pc gaming experience we all want.

WorstSniperNA | ErRoRaDiCaTiOn | Texhnolzying 

Edited by Texhnolyzing, 01 November 2017 - 06:33 PM.

• Luaq likes this

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Request denied.

Tsss come on Amid...

You have nothing to say about the rest of my post?..

Edited by Luaq, 01 November 2017 - 06:54 PM.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Tsss come on Amid...

You have nothing to say about the rest of my post?..

I mean, I think I've made my position pretty clear over the past several weeks. There are community members with the dedication required to stick with volunteer/fuzz pay and do stuff to try and "resurrect" Hawken. They've all left, or been worn down by the rest of the community. People who have wanted to DO things for this game, for this community, have had 5 years to do it. Some of us did something with that time.

And now we have all these people coming out of of the woodwork, when "all is lost?" Forgive my skepticism, but that sounds like people little dedication dreaming little dreams or just wanting some attention for making grand claims they will never be able to back up.  

Speaking of which...

WorstSniperNA | ErRoRaDiCaTiOn | Texhnolzying 

ErRoRaDiCaTiOn | Texhnolzying 

ErRoRaDiCaTiOn 

Hi Quayjay. Thanks for finally publicly admitting that you're the same pilot as that hacker.  

Banned.

Edited by Amidatelion, 01 November 2017 - 09:27 PM.

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I mean, I think I've made my position pretty clear over the past several weeks. There are community members with the dedication required to stick with volunteer/fuzz pay and do stuff to try and "resurrect" Hawken. They've all left, or been worn down by the rest of the community. People who have wanted to DO things for this game, for this community, have had 5 years to do it. Some of us did something with that time.

And now we have all these people coming out of of the woodwork, when "all is lost?" Forgive my skepticism, but that sounds like people little dedication dreaming little dreams or just wanting some attention for making grand claims they will never be able to back up.  

Speaking of which...

Hi Quayjay. Thanks for finally publicly admitting that you're the same pilot as that hacker.  

Banned.

hahaha that turn or event though, whoever is/was texnolyze.

Though Amid... I don't think people are here ill intentioned. All I do is support who ever tries something. All I did was suggesting something that I think would be better than just trying to buy off hawken and that could actually turn better. Somewhat of a "positive" reality check. That guy, the op, has some money, and we learned here that more are willing to put money in. Whatever people do here, there is some good potential and they aren't here to fuzzy bunny up with hawken or insult anyone who tried before...

See ya around. Looking foward to play with you all before it ends. Something like a war wednesday again.
Off topic: if someone with a low 1600 mmr joins a game, then one with 1850, then 2100 the medium mmr gets higher so higher rank people can join right?

Frenotx

Frenotx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am, unfortunately, rather poor. I'd love to contribute in some way, though. If you manage to pull this off, let me know: maybe I can offer my services as a developer.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

If it's sunset and $0 versus sunrise and $20k+, I'm sure there's something to be looked at regarding my offer.

For example, here are the facts: To any investor, owner, or publisher, Hawken is a trash game that failed to make money.

It's not worth anything, except to this community. To us gamers, it's worth quite a lot. But to anyone who might want to try to make money off this game: Hah.

No one is going to trust the "next developer" unless it's a small fry like me who actually cares about the game itself. Big company business types will easily see that if this game is no longer marketable. The core community has already left, and the people still here are angry with what's happened regarding all previous owners.

Hawken is a failure as far as IPs go, and 505 is lucky they're even getting this bid. Hawken has a stained history at this point, and denying this is ludicrous.

$20k is my offer, with the hope other people will help me out.

Don't pretend like Hawken is still worth twelve million. That point has come and gone. Hawken is old technology now. Unreal Engine 3 era content that failed to make money, and ended up sunsetting, is not worth 12 million dollars.

Hawken is obsolete software on its deathbed, and no serious publisher or development company is going to purchase it.

My plan is to low-ball it with what I personally have to spend, and try to recoup the costs with in-game purchases. Don't think I plan to develop it. I'll get servers set up so that people can play classic-era Hawken at the height of its glory, and maybe release it into FOSS after my initial investment, plus a small profit-percentage, has been returned.

A game with Hawken's history just doesn't have what it takes to be worth much more than my offer.

This is the thing you fail to understand. Hawken DID make money. It made a lot of it and it continued to do so until Meteor effectively destroyed Adhesive. And destroy them they did.

This IP is very strong and 505 knows it. They're going to let the console version flop and then auction the game off.

The reason this game has failed twice is only because development stopped twice. Whoever buys it next needs to start from scratch. Salvage the art assets and inspect the core code. Aftee that it needs to be burned down and rebuilt completely like ReLoaded is claiming they doing with APB.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

This is the thing you fail to understand. Hawken DID make money. It made a lot of it and it continued to do so until Meteor effectively destroyed Adhesive. And destroy them they did.

This IP is very strong and 505 knows it. They're going to let the console version flop and then auction the game off.

The reason this game has failed twice is only because development stopped twice. Whoever buys it next needs to start from scratch. Salvage the art assets and inspect the core code. Aftee that it needs to be burned down and rebuilt completely like ReLoaded is claiming they doing with APB.

I don't want this to sound argumentative, but where do you see any evidence that Hawken made a lot of money?  There were never, ever enough players at any time to have provided a significant enough pool of DLC sales - the only way any money was ever made on Hawken.  And, at that, even if, out of the very modest player base that Hawken has ever had, it would have never been more than 30% of players who ever bought DLC (that figure comes from looking at global averages for any game that offers a free-to-play/DLC model - they count on that 30% to spend and the other 60% are just there to provide a sufficient player base to keep the 30% active).  So, it would stand to reason that those folks who were paying in to the DLC were really only making Hawken enough to keep the employees and the servers paid... and eventually wasn't even enough to do that.

But, if I'm wrong, I'd like to see something about the actual profits (meaning money made above and beyond expenses) for Hawken.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

This is the thing you fail to understand. Hawken DID make money.

Don't mistake acquiring venture capital for making a profit. Meteor got a bunch of investors to throw money at them based on promises they could never deliver.

This IP is very strong ....

By what definition? Pretty much the only thing Hawken has going for it as a franchise at this point is that some people vaguely remember the name from when Meteor blew their entire budget on hype and comic books.

• SparkyJJC likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

having played a few games in the last 3 or 4 decades, i've seen a lot of stuff pop up, rage for a year or so, then either painfully flop and twitch for a while sort of like that steam-punk dirigible game, or just suddenly evaporate.

others have stayed around forever, my favorite examples of games that just refuse to die are BZFlag, and MWO.  BZFlag was open-source and (amazingly) is still online.  tanks don't fly.

MWO has gone through an agonizing gauntlet, from MW1 to 4, Mercs, Pirates Moon, etc acquired from M$ by Piranha, and now we are blessed with the current iteration,  which IIRC had something like 150,000 entries submitted to last year's world elimination event.

if hawken were to survive, one of these scenarios may be the only salvation.  i don't see 505 releasing code for the FOSS folks, and from a business viewpoint i'd avoid Hawken like it was a stinking rotten corpse. [cue the zombie comparisons]

it's been real, and it's been good, but it's not real good.

say good night, Gracie.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Guess the best we can hope for is a good code leak from 505.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users