Photo

Joining and Quitting During Matches

- - - - - quit quitting join joining leave leaving mid game mid match abandon abandoning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

FLes

FLes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I would be surprised if this hasn't been brought up already, but in my 3 minutes of Googling I found nothing, so...

These are the three main things that I hate about matches in Hawken (in no particular order):

1. Being able to start matches with uneven number of players.

So, its 3v4, some players hit ready button and match starts. Why would I play 3v4!? That should be possible only if all players agreed to those conditions by clicking ready button!

2. Players leaving during match.

We're having a good time. Someone leaves and match goes to toilet.  A huge number of games is ruined all the time because of this. Put some penalties for those players.

3. Players joining during match.

We're having a good time again. Then someone joins one team and match goes to toilet again. Disable joining unless there is less players in one of the teams.

There's also a combination of all above points, where at the end of a match I have no idea who I played with, who i defeated or from who I lost, it is all a blurry mess.

In that kind of enviroment there can be no sense of team and outcome has no real meaning. I don't know for you but I think these things fixed would make this game take a HUGE step forward to being more fun, engaging, meaningful, important and whatnot.

Edited by FLes, 10 April 2015 - 11:09 AM.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

There are some suggestions to solve these problems, however, we will not expect RG to do ANY chanegs to Hawken (atleast mentionable ones) because tehy do not even know the coding yet.

Like always. #soon

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I would be surprised if this hasn't been brought up already, but in my 3 minutes of Googling I found nothing, so...

These are the three main things that I hate about matches in Hawken (in no particular order):

1. Being able to start matches with uneven number of players.

So, its 3v4, some players hit ready button and match starts. Why would I play 3v4!? That should be possible only if all players agreed to those conditions by clicking ready button!

If you force the match to only be able to start if there are even numbers, then you will often find yourself waiting in lobbies extra long times for someone to join or leave.

2. Players leaving during match.

We're having a good time. Someone leaves and match goes to toilet.  A huge number of games is ruined all the time because of this. Put some penalties for those players.

As we've discussed before in other topics, the problem is a low population and the fact that the match maker can't reorganize players mid-match. In any case, you're not going to be able to prevent this from happening and even if someone comes in to replace the lost player (regardless of the population size), there is never a guarantee that the rest of the match will improve.

3. Players joining during match.

We're having a good time again. Then someone joins one team and match goes to toilet again. Disable joining unless there is less players in one of the teams.

See #2

There's also a combination of all above points, where at the end of a match I have no idea who I played with, who i defeated or from who I lost, it is all a blurry mess.

In that kind of enviroment there can be no sense of team and outcome has no real meaning. I don't know for you but I think these things fixed would make this game take a HUGE step forward to being more fun, engaging, meaningful, important and whatnot.

Not sure why you get confused. The scoreboard clearly shows everyone on your team at all times both during and after a match, your teammates are color coded inside the game and on your radar, also who you were dominating on the other team at the end of the match, the Stats tab clearly lists who you killed the most and who killed you the most, and who did the best overall as MVP/most kills/most assists/etc. You also have PLENTY of time to read through this information at the end of the match. So how is it you're confused at any point what your team is or who was the winner when it tells you at the end of the match whether you won or lost?

Edited by nokari, 10 April 2015 - 12:46 PM.

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

124eric456

124eric456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I HAVE PLAYED HUNDREDS OF GAMES ND HAVE APPROX 30 ABANDONE GAMES BUT THIS IS AS MY COMPUTER OVERHEATS ON HAWKEN AND THEN DROPS ME OUT I HAVE NEVER LEFT BT MY OWN FREE WILL SO TO PENILSE ALL WOULD BE A VERY BAD THING

FLes

FLes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If you force the match to only be able to start if there are even numbers, then you will often find yourself waiting in lobbies extra long times for someone to join or leave.

Who would have thought that you have to wait longer to get proper number of players in teams? Yes, you wait a bit longer. But you don't start a shitty match.

As we've discussed before in other topics, the problem is a low population and the fact that the match maker can't reorganize players mid-match. In any case, you're not going to be able to prevent this from happening and even if someone comes in to replace the lost player (regardless of the population size), there is never a guarantee that the rest of the match will improve.

I'm not looking to prevent it 100% of the time, nor do I need guarantees. What I need is fewer players leaving to have fewer games turning into fuzzy bunny.

See #2

What does low population and mid-match reorganizing have to do with preventing the players to join matches that are in progres and that already have equal number of players in teams?

Not sure why you get confused. (...)

Last thing you misunderstood completely, and I don't know how to explain it better. I'll try anyway: when you start a match, you're in a team. You play against other team. You start fighting. You get feeling for your team, and you get feeling for enemy team. You try to figure out best way to defeat that particular team. Blabla. But the way it is now in Hawken, people joining and leaving all the time with no control, there are no real teams. It is almost like deathmatch, except you're unable to kill your "teammates". It is gets chaotic, one moment the match is balanced, next moment someone joins/leaves and match turns around. You get used to particular enemy players, then suddenly, some now couple of guys spawn on server and the match changes again. Etc.

Edited by FLes, 10 April 2015 - 01:49 PM.

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Who would have thought that you have to wait longer to get proper number of players in teams? Yes, you wait a bit longer. But you don't start a shitty match.

Sure, sometimes, but definitely not every time and I won't start as many matches because I'm frustrated for sitting in a lobby 2-3x longer than I do now to get a match started. I don't want 50+% of my time logged in to be spent sitting waiting to start than time spent actually in game... If there's one thing we ALL know, it's that gamers have short attention spans and will leave to find another server or quit altogether if they're not getting to do what they came to do.

I'm not looking to prevent it 100% of the time, nor do I need guarantees. What I need is fewer players leaving to have fewer games turning into fuzzy bunny.

I'm not suggesting it's 100% preventable, I'm suggesting it's never preventable. Put as many punishments on people as you want, they're not going to care unless it prevents them from getting into the next server they try to join. Prevent people from being able to play because some guys in a match got upset over them leaving isn't a good policy. That just drives people away from the game itself.

Rage quitters gonna rage quit. Period.

See #2

What does low population and mid-match reorganizing have to do with preventing the players to join matches that are in progres and that already have equal number of players in teams?

My bad, it's more like the issue of #1. Players should be able to join matches even if it causes uneven numbers, because otherwise you're forcing matches like 2v2 or 3v3 and can never have more players join until it's all over or someone leaves and makes it uneven. But then you're stuck right back at the same 2v2 or 3v3. An anecdotal "having a good time" once in a while doesn't account for all the times teams are even but the match is completely unbalanced. Or the times they're uneven teams but are balanced.

Not sure why you get confused. (...)

Last thing you misunderstood completely, and I don't know how to explain it better. I'll try anyway: when you start a match, you're in a team. You play against other team. You start fighting. You get feeling for your team, and you get feeling for enemy team. You try to figure out best way to defeat that particular team. Blabla. But the way it is now in Hawken, people joining and leaving all the time with no control, there are no real teams. It is almost like deathmatch, except you're unable to kill your "teammates". It is gets chaotic, one moment the match is balanced, next moment someone joins/leaves and match turns around. You get used to particular enemy players, then suddenly, some now couple of guys spawn on server and the match changes again. Etc.

Except that's not the normal case. You may have one or two players quit, but unless you have 0 attention to details of what's going on, you still shouldn't be confused on who is on your team or who your enemy is no matter what their names are. So what if you lose someone and gain someone during a match? Do you forget all the other teammates you have? Do you forget the fact that you're all randomly placed together to begin with? It's not like real teams that are selected and planned. You're forced into an unplanned team you have to work with every game, so it's not about having consistent team members that matters the most, it's that YOU EACH understand teamwork. Being forced to build a teamwork dynamic with a player that just joined your team mid-match is no different than when you started the match, and in MANY cases people who join mid-match are actually BETTER at teamwork than the person you lost or help pull your team together that the rest of you were failing to do.

Edited by nokari, 10 April 2015 - 02:53 PM.

• -Tj- likes this

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

What about the possibility of having an AI Bot fill in the blank spot,  until a new player joins?    When a human player enters the queue,  the AI Bot could instantly die,  just like a human does, when he voulunteers for the Team Balancer Bonus.  

Just an idea,  not perfect, but it WOULD prevent lop-sided teams.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

...and let slip the dogs of war...

[/size]

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
This is an FPS. Not a MOBA.
  • Superkamikazee likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quit, quitting, join, joining, leave, leaving, mid game, mid match, abandon, abandoning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users