HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Back-dash instead of Back-spin

Game

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Disrupted

Disrupted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'd love to be able to back-dash, similar to the left/right-dashes. Currently, pressing shift + back(s key) just shifts the mech to it's back view, which can be fatal since I lose sight of my target. It doesn't help that the back-shift keys are directly next to the side shift keys either. In my opinion, back-dashing just makes sense, in key placement and gameplay.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind."
Nerf everything_ Nerf everything!

#2 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:29 PM

indeed would be a nice addition, but plz dont remove the 180 degree turn
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#3 Disrupted

Disrupted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:30 PM

I figure tapping the back key(s) twice would work for the 180 turn. I don't think it was ever meant for a combat situation, unlike the dash keys.

#4 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:32 PM

well I dont use the shift, I use double tap for every boost command, so that would not change much for me
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#5 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:34 PM

FINALLY, this topic again. It was due for quite a while.

Here is the previous iteration.

View PostAnotherJokingKukoo, on November 21 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Been discussed since Alpha.

The consensus is always no.

Want to know why_

The reverse dash mechanic is one that reduces how much thought you have to put into movement and making sure you're well positioned. If you accidentally run into a ambush, you can easily back dash to remove yourself immediately and place distance between you. It also trivializes close quarters combat play, as it allows you to continuously back away from a CQC class without having to turn your back on them, all while being able to periodically fire at them. When you learn to think about your positioning more, and don't overextend, you'll find you never need a back dash.

There's also the fact that it trivializes the skill of those who use 180 retreat tactics.

Edited by z121231211, December 19 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Desert Fox

#6 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:35 PM

This thread has come up a number of times. The search bar will help you find it :P
I don't want this implemented but that's just my opinion.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#7 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:36 PM

I've come to watch the trolls talk about what they think game mechanics are.

Posted Image

#8 Disrupted

Disrupted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:36 PM

Oh. Triple tap maybe_

And I apologize if this thread has already been discussed.

#9 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, I'd like this.
Posted Image

#10 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 15 2012 - 06:23 PM

You're going to have to come up with some pretty extraordinary arguments as to why backwards boosting should be added to Hawken, because every previous attempt has failed.

Let me tell you exactly why there should not be backwards boosting: You can retreat while still keeping your crosshairs on your enemy. That's not how you retreat. You should not be rewarded for reckless, unstrategic behaviour (charging into a pile of enemies) with the ability to just rip right back out from the pack with your guns trained on them the whole time.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#11 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 15 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostElix, on December 15 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

You're going to have to come up with some pretty extraordinary arguments as to why backwards boosting should be added to Hawken, because every previous attempt has failed.

Let me tell you exactly why there should not be backwards boosting: You can retreat while still keeping your crosshairs on your enemy. That's not how you retreat. You should not be rewarded for reckless, unstrategic behaviour (charging into a pile of enemies) with the ability to just rip right back out from the pack with your guns trained on them the whole time.

this

View Postz121231211, on December 15 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

FINALLY, this topic again. It was due for quite a while.

Here is the previous iteration.

View PostAnotherJokingKukoo, on November 21 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Been discussed since Alpha.

The consensus is always no.

Want to know why_

The reverse dash mechanic is one that reduces how much thought you have to put into movement and making sure you're well positioned. If you accidentally run into a ambush, you can easily back dash to remove yourself immediately and place distance between you. It also trivializes close quarters combat play, as it allows you to continuously back away from a CQC class without having to turn your back on them, all while being able to periodically fire at them. When you learn to think about your positioning more, and don't overextend, you'll find you never need a back dash.

There's also the fact that it trivializes the skill of those who use 180 retreat tactics.

and this. Its been argued to the death of it ... also, the boosters don't aim backwards do they_

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 15 2012 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#12 Zombierave

Zombierave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 07:11 PM

I was waiting for this topic to show up again. In fact, I even made this topic during CBE.

In my own I said that I would like to have back boosting/dashing as well. Of course most people said no. And they're all valid reasons even if I don't agree with some. After having gotten used to doing the 180, back-dashing really isn't necessary. Admittedly though I still think it's just not an intuitive control and is therefore still annoying.

My advice: try to make it a point to 180 in a match to force yourself to get used to it. It may not be the most comfortable control to use but there's no denying that it doesn't have its use and make fights easier.

#13 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:42 PM

Only if it is a defensive support item....because how else is a mech with thrusters on its arse supposed to go backwards.

#14 fireball

fireball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:49 PM

I actually prefer the idea of the instant turn.  Being able to quickly deal with someone flanking me is far more important to me then being able to backpedal infinitely.

#15 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted December 15 2012 - 10:16 PM

As I mentioned in one of the other threads about this, in a game like Hawken where you are really maneuverable, it is the limitations that allow tactical gameplay. If you can boost anywhere at any time, then it becomes purely about speed, instead of tactical positioning.

A perfect example of this is an older F2P game, Exteel. It had a similar movement style to Hawken, except that could boost in any direction you wanted. This made it so that one of the best strategies against short-range weapons was to use mid-range guns and boost backwards away from your opponent. This meant that if you had a faster booster, you were untouchable. There was no tactical positioning or anything, every fight became about chasing after someone as they boosted backwards away from you.

Also, I love the 180 turn, and if you know how to use it, it can be quite effective as a combat maneuver, not just for retreating.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#16 stallion

stallion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted December 18 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostTeljaxx, on December 15 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

A perfect example of this is an older F2P game, Exteel. It had a similar movement style to Hawken, except that could boost in any direction you wanted. This made it so that one of the best strategies against short-range weapons was to use mid-range guns and boost backwards away from your opponent. This meant that if you had a faster booster, you were untouchable. There was no tactical positioning or anything, every fight became about chasing after someone as they boosted backwards away from you.

Also, I love the 180 turn, and if you know how to use it, it can be quite effective as a combat maneuver, not just for retreating.

this. played exteel for more than two years, and was missing some mecha-alike action. hawken is really good, and atm only thin I really miss in this game is back-boost. actually, I still hit it like in exteel, ending turning my back trying to escape xD

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posted Image

#17 Petrus

Petrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted December 18 2012 - 06:28 AM

i definately prefer the 180turn before backdash. you only use backdash when you fuzzy bunny up your positioning. besides: my mouse is setted very slow to aim at high distances easily. now if theres a mech showing up behind me it would take me ages to turn around. with the 180 its easy. i would cry rivers if they remove it. they can add the backdash, yes. if you guys need it. but please use another command for it, i really find this 180 unbelievably usefull.

#18 stallion

stallion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:37 AM

I thought about making a back dash standard back+boost command, and a 180^ flip double tapping back (if that's not too complicated)

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posted Image

#19 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Poststallion, on December 19 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

I thought about making a back dash standard back+boost command, and a 180^ flip double tapping back (if that's not too complicated)
Can you give a reason why you want a backwards boost/dash function_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#20 jalmar

jalmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 19 2012 - 03:15 AM

I love the 180* turn. Also it would be physically impossible to do a backwards dash on current mechs since the thruster is on their back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users