HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Death of Customization

Game

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Crispy

Crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:57 PM

Not sure if it was said already, but I think they're trying to have character (as in, strengths and weaknesses) for each mech.

#62 KingDork

KingDork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well it's been 2 weeks since I stopped playing this due to being bored with it already. I do like this game but it's hard to retain interest after awhile when it's so bland. I will keep coming back here to check occasionally to see if they add some much needed content in this game. From all the hard work they put in to make this and the other projects based around this, I do hope they will try to keep this game interesting and maybe add some complexity to keep it from running stale before beta ends.

#63 TheSkyReaper

TheSkyReaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 11:49 AM

Two words that perfectly describe my opinion on customisation done right.

Armored Core.

Another game that had it good was Exteel. Bloody shame the balance was off on a few parts and it's even more of a shame it went for a pay to win marketing scheme... May its soul rest in piece...

Anyway, I'm sure there are elements from those two games that could inspire this game's customisation.

#64 Rosengren

Rosengren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted January 02 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostMewvg, on January 01 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

There will never be a "perfect" loadout, everyone has their own preferances and skill with each weapon.

Dual SA Hawkins. I dare you to prove me wrong.

#65 TheSkyReaper

TheSkyReaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 07:56 PM

If the parts are reasonably balanced, sure, there will be mechs that shine through, but there will also be difrent styles in conception and piloting. Not to mention that not all pilots are equal in their skills related to building a good mech. A game within a game if you will. Another level of skill to take into account when playing, which is, let's not hide it, a BIG part of what makes mech games great.

There are those who will compensate piloting skill with mech building skill, some that will cover over their mechs weaknesses with piloting skills. There will obviously also be those that take proven builds and use them as their own, but one thing is for sure, unless there's a set of parts that clearly dominate everything else in its category by a LARGE margin, there will be variety.

#66 Mewvg

Mewvg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 02 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostRosengren, on January 02 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostMewvg, on January 01 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

There will never be a "perfect" loadout, everyone has their own preferances and skill with each weapon.

Dual SA Hawkins. I dare you to prove me wrong.

Sorry, this had me laughing until it hurt. Are you being sarcastic, or serious_ I can't tell.

EDIT: Also, when did I say one should be able to have two primary/secondary weapons_

Edited by Mewvg, January 03 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#67 MechPilot122212

MechPilot122212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 03 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostTheSkyReaper, on January 02 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Two words that perfectly describe my opinion on customisation done right.

Armored Core.

Damn straight. The best part about AC was that there was no one uber powerful loadout (there are always some parts or types of mechs that tend to shine, but it's rare to have something completely dominant), and the best players built around their specific strengths. Because of that, the very best players weren't just the best pilots who could take any build off the net, but people who were also great in the garage.
I mean, in AC5, I was the best sniper killer and duelist in my faction not just because I knew how to pilot well, but because I knew my builds from the inside out and knew how to push them the right way. You don't really get that sense of satisfaction from Hawken's bare-bones setup.

Edited by Weathercock, January 03 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#68 Rosengren

Rosengren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted January 03 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostMewvg, on January 02 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Sorry, this had me laughing until it hurt. Are you being sarcastic, or serious_ I can't tell.

EDIT: Also, when did I say one should be able to have two primary/secondary weapons_

I'm just goofing around. It'd be interesting to try that combination out, anyway. The idea of  a primary weapon so lacklustre that doubling up on it might almost be balanced is pretty funny.

#69 Tibster

Tibster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted January 03 2013 - 07:39 AM

agree, we need more options all over

#70 Derf

Derf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationfar far away

Posted January 06 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostRosengren, on December 31 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Mech level really only matters for unlocking stuff. Alternative weapons, items and the occasional internal have bigger impact than the level bonuses.

A scout with a HEAT cannon probably has a big advantage over a level 1 scout with only a mini flak to its name but the majority of the advantage is in the greater experience of the player who got a scout that high. Saying that the mechanical bonuses of those levels don't really matter is perfectly fine. I'd be happy if you didn't get any bonuses at all and instead got a some extra HC every time you gained a level that didn't unlock gear.

That is all true. However, why make people grind through 25 levels in order to get to the gear they want on each and every mech_ At this point it feels bad to play your level 25 mechs because it feels like you are wasting valuable experience points. But then going from a level 25 to a level 1 mech ALSO feels bad because you don't have all the items etc. that you are accustomed to and enjoy using.

While I would like to see a pilot level system for the sake of long term rewards, the most important thing to me is customization. Currently very few of the optimizations actually make a noticeable difference, so everyone who knows that is pigeonholed into them, and everyone who doesn't is disadvantaged. Diversifying your available weapons probably requires grinding A LOT of time with a weapon you don't like.

What I really want to see is ALL equipment available to a chassis to be unlocked at level 1, and by playing with it you can spend points to adapt it to your own play style (high burst with low survive-ability, super tank with dps, whatever.) Basically I think the "mech level" system leads to poor matchmaking, lots of frustration, and unnecessary and minimally rewarding grinding.
Go then, there are other worlds than these.

#71 Fuchuzz

Fuchuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostTheSkyReaper, on January 02 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Armored Core.

As awesome as it would be to have armored core level customization in a game that plays like hawken, it would just take to much effort to make it. Implementing and balancing a completely free reign customization system would take a ton of time, you would have to redo most of the game.

That being said, the skill tree needs to be reworked, there is no point in going in to the offensive tree at all, the damage boost is completely negligible. The defensive tree has a good HP boost and the utility tree has the dodge cool down, these are the only things worth getting. Also none of the internals are very good either. All of the "customization" this game offer does jack all. Nothing lends itself to a different play style besides changing your one gun, or mech entirely.

#72 SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted January 07 2013 - 06:46 PM

I too am demote at the lack of interchangeable weapons; being able to unlock new weapons every few levels, regardless of mech/chassis, would be great & really liven up the game for new and more experienced players. Having your own ideal load-out to suit your playing style brings a whole new level of enjoyment to a game- having to make do with something that isn't quite there or not balanced the way you like, just make sit that bit more frustrating.

I also find the lack of mechs an issue- what happened to all the great mechs from the Alpha tests ( the poster boys )_ There used to be a much nicer light assault, and 2 or 3 sniper class mechs, now we have a much more limited selection and it does indeed make the game feel very stale & repetitive ( as does the very limited number of maps ).

More guns, more mechs & more maps- optimisations only making 2-3% difference to various characteristics of each mech is barely worth bothering with either, it needs to be more like 5-10% at least for it to be worth while as a game mechanic.

#73 stabf

stabf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:14 PM

Bump for OP with a great call. lack of customization killed D3, and it would be sad if it killed Hawken. This game is fun!

#74 _Hex_

_Hex_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:33 PM

They are (hopefully_) adding more weapons, and they already have confirmed 12 Mechs that will be released. :D

View PostLeonhardt, on April 30 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

alt+F4 fixes this. Reinstall and as soon as you see it quickly hit alt+F4. If the game crashes restart and try again until its fixed.

#75 KingDork

KingDork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:27 PM

It's been awhile, anything changed here_

#76 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:11 PM

No, not really. The only additions are a new item (or rather a restored item), a new mech, and three new weapons associated with said mech. More content, but no change in the breadth of the overall system.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#77 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 08:13 PM

I would be overjoyed if we could switch out our secondary weapons like in alpha. Even if it was just a choice between two similar weapons, like TOW/Grenade Launcher or Hellfire/SABOT. Or maybe even let you swap out your secondary for one of your unlocked primaries. I'd love to put the AR and HEAT Cannon on my INFILTRATOR since I'm terribad with the Grenade Launcher, or put an SMC and Vulcan on my BRUISER for maximum close-range wall-o-lead action.

#78 KingDork

KingDork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 09:06 PM

The problem is most of the mechs play the same outside their weapon load out and the one special ability it has. I was hoping they add a couple more secondary and primary weapons in the game to unlock to keep things fresh and some better sidegrades. I think it be funny to see a bunch of gear stacked where a guy can make his mech deal up to 45% more damage but his trade off he is 45%+ weaker and becomes a glass canon. I enjoy the main aspect of the game but after a week or so playing I lost interest.

If it stays like this, I honestly don't see this game staying afloat long even with all the hard work they did put into it. The level up stats you set up are almost completely worthless and the side grades you can unlock are kind of worthless as well. I don't see it being a big problem in terms of balance if they keep each addon being only a side grade or even have a a little bit of a bigger draw back ( like +30% boost and -40% in something else). Weapons can take some tweaking but still do able. Hate to see such hard work they did in this game and skimp on something so important as variety/customization for a MECH GAME.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users