HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map Suggestions:

Art Community Game Forum Project Review

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#141 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted July 20 2013 - 03:45 AM

Ty Spliff.

Posted Image

#142 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:33 AM

I don’t know if these ideas have been mentioned anywhere else, but if they have I apologise.

I would like to see the end of map rotation.

Instead of map rotation, I would like to see about 30 or more maps, with the ability for us to create our own games. What I mean by this, is that we can choose the map we want to play on. Then, we can choose the type of game and how many players we want in it.

I would also like to see options for choosing if we want a day map or a night map and an option to choose a ‘summer‘ map or a ‘winter‘ map. I also think that there should be different sizes of maps. Bigger maps for more players and longer range combat, and smaller maps for fewer players and close quarter combat.

I believe that this would give far more options for play than is currently available and it would open the game up far more for different styles of play.

What do you think_

Posted Image

Edited by SandSpider, July 27 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#143 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostSandSpider, on July 27 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

I don’t know if these ideas have been mentioned anywhere else, but if they have I apologise.

Instead of map rotation, I would like to see about 30 or more maps, with the ability for us to create our own games. What I mean by this, is that we can choose the map we want to play on. Then, we can choose the type of game and how many players we want in it.

I would also like to see options for choosing if we want a day map or a night map and an option to choose a ‘summer‘ map or a ‘winter‘ map. I also think that there should be different sizes of maps. Bigger maps for more players and longer range combat, and smaller maps for fewer players and close quarter combat.

I believe that this would give far more options for play than is currently available and it would open the game up far more for different styles of play.

What do you think_

Posted Image
How would it be paid for_ great idea but i'm not sure how to make it profitable in a F2P model.

#144 Westrim

Westrim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAbove you

Posted August 01 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostWestrim, on January 12 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Well, I'm sure they want to stick with the postapocalyptic feel, but there are ways to do that without keeping everything brown and gray, and a third of the planet is still free of the Hawken virus. Maybe we could play in a forest that's currently being infected, part random structures and part giant redwoodesque trees.
*Looks at teaser, then back at post* Sweet!

#145 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 31 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

View PostSandSpider, on July 27 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

What do you think_

Posted Image
How would it be paid for_ great idea but i'm not sure how to make it profitable in a F2P model.

There is a small Russian game, which is a MMO free to play browser based game called Tanki Online, that has this same model for playing as the one I suggested. I got the idea from that game.

Anyone can choose a map, choose how many players there are for a battle, choose the duration of the game, either with a time duration or a max kill number. They have about thirty maps of different sizes and most of them have a summer or winter mode. The games can go from ten minutes up too about three hours depending on the options chosen

Also, when a game finishes, the map starts again. Most people have their favorite maps that get played on a lot, and it works very well.

I also had a couple of other ideas for maps:

First, we know that there is this anti gravity stuff all over the planet, so I thought of the movie Avatar. Why not have a map with large floating platforms of rock that we can jump between and, or use for cover. some could be connected and some could be free floating. They don't have to be to high off the ground, but they could increase in altitude as you go from rock to rock.

My second idea is a large canyon with bridges crossing it. There could be some kind of installation on each side to provide cover. The canyon doesn't have to be to wide. There could be a river running through the bottom of it and say, three or four bridges connecting the two sides. Maybe it could be some kind of hydroelectric power station, with an installation at the bottom of the canyon as well. I'll try to find some pics to illustrate what I mean.

Posted Image

#146 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 03:23 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#147 perebraco

perebraco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 04:02 AM

i made a post on suggestions about maps!
how about night map_
you could buy night vision goggles so you can see better
and as projectiles move(i'm referring to rockets, slow-moving projectiles such as detonator) they light the way

#148 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 08:38 AM

The third post in this thread suggests night maps. Night vision and thermal vision have also been discussed. They are all good ideas.

Posted Image

#149 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationRunning around like a Chicken.

Posted August 03 2013 - 05:42 PM

Remake of Blood Gulch from Halo 1 for Seige, TDM, DM, Missile Assault, (CTF Hopefully!) I'm all over the editor if we ever get access to develop levels.

Edited by Xer06siX, August 03 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Previously known as §îlvër-§érpênt

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#150 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have been seeing increased interest in a Duelling Server. 1v1 and 2v2 seem to be the most popular.
A king of the ring tournament style is also quite popular.
Another great alternative play is Hunt the top 3 players. In essence it's a 3 man tactical survival game and trust me 3 vs 9 is a challenging match! We have also attempted a hunt the top man only which also turned out great!
The most Popular I've encountered is TDM with friendly fire!

I have a group that's been testing this concept and it's been working quite well.
If you'd like to learn more comment on this thread.

#151 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:27 PM

I also have a NEW and FRESH idea for a map/mode!

The Bodybag MODE!

You enter a match and everyone is given a "name" to hunt on your HUD.
Kill that guy and get the name he was hunting as your next kill.
Kill the wrong guy and lose points.
Each time you respawn you are given a name from which to start your kills.
If a player d/c's you are automatically given an updated target {ex: the one he was hunting}
Player with the best body count at the end of the time limit WINS!

What do you all think of that_ {Like to vote}

Edited by Spliff_Craven, August 03 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#152 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 03 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I have been seeing increased interest in a Duelling Server. 1v1 and 2v2 seem to be the most popular.
A king of the ring tournament style is also quite popular.
Another great alternative play is Hunt the top 3 players. In essence it's a 3 man tactical survival game and trust me 3 vs 9 is a challenging match! We have also attempted a hunt the top man only which also turned out great!
The most Popular I've encountered is TDM with friendly fire!

I have a group that's been testing this concept and it's been working quite well.
If you'd like to learn more comment on this thread.

Any highlight videos of the survival game matches_  I would interesting to 9 mechs rushing 3 mechs.  What maps are you playing on and which work the best_

#153 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postonehourleft, on August 03 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Any highlight videos of the survival game matches_  I would interesting to 9 mechs rushing 3 mechs.  What maps are you playing on and which work the best_
No highlight Videos of this have been made to my knowledge.
We've tried all available maps with all available varients and they all worked out great.
The TDM with Friendly fire was the most entertaining.
3v9 is a fight and a half.
Trying to shoot the 9 guys and live is as hard as the 9 guys shooting you and not hitting each other.

We want to try the BODYBAG mode But we need the DEV'S to help us with that...

#154 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 03 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

The Bodybag MODE!

If a player d/c's you are automatically given an updated target {ex: the one he was hunting}

This mode makes me think of elite hit men or assassins sent out by the Corporations to take out the mechs giving them the most problems, cutting into their profits.  Once a mark is killed head quarters gives them the next target.

#155 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted August 03 2013 - 10:34 PM

Bodybag mode could be interesting, I know they have a very similar mode in Assassins Creed that was very successful. However, I do have a concern about whether such a mode could devolve into simply a deathmatch with more interesting rules, considering the size of the maps, and the knowledge that everyone around you is a player/could be hunting you, as well as being easy to find people in general. (Though some games of Night of the Living Fred have shown that some people are quite adept at hiding in their two story metal monstrosities... but then just hiding doesn't get you points, does it_)

Anyway, I like the principle of the idea for sure, I just feel it may require a little more polish to fit within the limitations of Hawken. :)

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#156 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted August 04 2013 - 07:49 AM

The Bodybag MODE!

Very interesting idea! It would be cool to try this out. Without a built-in system in place in the game for keeping the score according to the projected rules, we would have to run with the honor system for now.

If you don't mind, I'd like to make a suggestion for the name of the game mode: Bounty Hunter.
That's essentially what you are doing: you are hunting your targets for the bounty on their mechs. If you take out other mechs that aren't on your bounty list, that is frowned upon, and therefore are penalized. Other names: Most Wanted, Hunter and Hunted.

Anyways, very cool stuff. With some testing and some polish, we might have a fun new game mode here. :D

Posted Image

#157 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostShadowGTR, on August 04 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Very interesting idea! It would be cool to try this out. Without a built-in system in place in the game for keeping the score according to the projected rules, we would have to run with the honor system for now.

If you don't mind, I'd like to make a suggestion for the name of the game mode: Bounty Hunter.
That's essentially what you are doing: you are hunting your targets for the bounty on their mechs. If you take out other mechs that aren't on your bounty list, that is frowned upon, and therefore are penalized. Other names: Most Wanted, Hunter and Hunted.

Anyways, very cool stuff. With some testing and some polish, we might have a fun new game mode here. :D
The Honor system doesn't work very well.
If you use the mic to tell the guy who killed you who to target next it defeats the purpose.
If you tab waiting for a PM of your next bounty, you are a sitting duck; and if a guy hunting you finds you; you haven't got a chance because before you can respond you are either alpha struck or you are at least 1/2 dead before you tab out to try and find and respond to the attack only to explode before you can.

This is why we need an all elusive DEV blessing. They need to step in and give this mode the structure it needs and integrate it into the HAB for testing before release A.S.A.P.!

Judging by the interest it's already generated they'd be foolish to pass it up!

#158 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 12:31 PM

There have been a lot of great ideas for maps talked about in this post. Some of them, however, won't fit into this game very well.

Hawken is based, as some of you already know, on the planet Illal. This planet has been ravaged by the Hawken virus and is now quarantined. This means that maps set on a moon in low gravity, or on a space ship or station, won't work, as good as these ideas are.

As we know, the whole scenario of this game is about the fight for resources. So I thought about trying to make some of these ideas fit and this is what I have come up with.

First, a few people had the idea of a volcanic map with lava flows. Now this sounds awesome to me. The trouble is, where are the resources. Well guess what, some volcanoes fire out all sorts of things like precious metals, geodes containing diamonds and other rare minerals.
This map idea could also be combined with another one that was about dark caves and tunnels. Volcanoes make lava tubes. These tubes are long tunnels that are created under volcanoes. These can also be encrusted with veins of gold and other metals and crystals.

Next, the space ship idea. Ok, because the planet is quarantined, I doubt we will be going onto space any time soon. So I thought, if you can't go to the ship, bring the ship to us.  Lets say that a military ship, maybe a battle cruiser, gets shot out of orbit and crashes somewhere on Illal. It's missile weapons are still intact, but the hull has multiple breaches which allow players to get inside. There has been a fire that has burnt away most of the upper hull, leaving it exposed. This could be used for all game modes.

A couple of little sketches I did to illustrate what I mean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So there are two ideas for maps that should fit into the Hawken universe. What do you think_

Posted Image

#159 alpha78

alpha78

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationProsk

Posted August 16 2013 - 01:45 PM

The Bodybag MODE!

^This sounds awesome!  I agree that it would need built in support to work.  Honestly, the best thing would be that kills other than the mark don't count at all.  So there would be no point in killing anyone other than your mark.  That would take some serious code wrangling on the dev team's part.  Don't know how "high priority" that would be.  Most likely a good long term goal though.

View PostSandSpider, on August 16 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hawken is based, as some of you already know, on the planet Illal. This planet has been ravaged by the Hawken virus and is now quarantined. This means that maps set on a moon in low gravity, or on a space ship or station, won't work, as good as these ideas are.

Except that we already have siege.  With, you know, ships n stuff. :)

#160 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postalpha78, on August 16 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

The Bodybag MODE!

^This sounds awesome!  I agree that it would need built in support to work.  Honestly, the best thing would be that kills other than the mark don't count at all.  So there would be no point in killing anyone other than your mark.  That would take some serious code wrangling on the dev team's part.  Don't know how "high priority" that would be.  Most likely a good long term goal though.

View PostSandSpider, on August 16 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Except that we already have siege.  With, you know, ships n stuff. :)

This is true, but they are not in space as people have asked for. What I was trying to do was to make a map with a ship that you could actually run around in and still make it possible for all game modes.

I don't know how you could play Assault or Siege if you are inside a ship.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Community, Game, Forum, Project, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users