HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ok to use EMP after Jan 24th patch_

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Use emp after Jan 24th update_ (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Would it be acceptable_

1. Yes_ (16 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. No_ (26 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:24 AM

Probably premature given the update is still a few days away but I'm curious: Given the changes the devs posted will it be acceptable to use the new EMP or is it still bad form_

Changes are:
1) Area of effect matches animation
+ Area of effect no longer the size of a small planet
+Area of effect could be avoided in a single side dodge (approximately)
- Smaller area of effect means that it is less likely the user will hit himself with the EMP (no more chasing down guys who hit themselves as well as you for one of those really satisfying post-EMP kills)
2) Duration reduced to 5.5 instead of 7seconds
+Increase chance of still having enough fuel to get away and position for retaliation (I usually run out of fuel dodging and running just as the effect ends... then I'm a sitting duck for hellfires/tows/grenades)
3) Slower projectile speed
    + more time to react.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#2 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'm ok with using it at any time; people do it to me, i do it to them.
Lex Talionis.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#3 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:39 AM

Note the lack of EMP immunity; even post-patch, there will be nothing in place to prevent chained EMPs.

I'll be using it more often. It's still best-in-slot for all of the reasons it was before, but the smaller hitbox is enough for me to not feel as guilty. With the nerfs, people will need to be shown very directly why this item is still best-in-slot and in need of further adjustment.

It was fun while it lasted.

#4 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:40 AM

i would still suggest against it.

It is still going to be used as a crutch for lower level players.
And it won't solve the issues for higher levels of play.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:44 AM

Call me purist but, actually, I do not use it. Thus I'm gonna wait for the patch to arrive.

Although.. I'm very curious on the following aspects of its promised tuning:

1.- On its new AoE (Area of Effect).
2.- On its new velocity (and acceleration too_) details.
3.- On how long will take to Battery Charges (the EMP's counter-measure or "counterpart") to react when you got hit by an EMP. -> This CM should coherently work faster as it does now.

These are my current pseudo-concerns on the subject.

Edited by The_Silencer, January 20 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:44 AM

Scrubs and tryhards will still use it as a crutch,

I doubt there will be a decrease in the amount of people using it, on the contrary im expecting an increase in these kind of people. Especially those that think that this tiny nerf will actually make it balanced.

I won't touch it with a 10 metre stick personally.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just as piece of advice: Add one new option to the poll: " Probably ". :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 x1aa

x1aa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't use it right now for all the reasons there are nor will i do it before the patch arrives...
I can't stand using items in any game that i used before when they were more effective... probably my personal spleen!
"Your attack has been rendered harmless. It is, however, quite pretty."
—Saprazzan vizier

#9 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on January 20 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I wanted a straight yes or no answer. Maybe/probably is an easy out for anybody fence sitting.

For the record I don't use EMP at the moment. I considered putting it on the Beserker (for revenge purposes) after raging when I lost fights because they got a lucky hit with an EMP (at least that's what I tell myself) but I could never bring myself to do it.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#10 mantisftw

mantisftw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, FL

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostdEd101, on January 20 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on January 20 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I wanted a straight yes or no answer. Maybe/probably is an easy out for anybody fence sitting.

For the record I don't use EMP at the moment. I considered putting it on the Beserker (for revenge purposes) after raging when I lost fights because they got a lucky hit with an EMP (at least that's what I tell myself) but I could never bring myself to do it.

Oh if they EMP first that's a different story.

Posted Image

#11 Pap

Pap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland - Szczecin

Posted January 20 2013 - 12:49 PM

View Posth0B0, on January 20 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

i would still suggest against it.

It is still going to be used as a crutch for lower level players.
And it won't solve the issues for higher levels of play.
it is also used by many GOOD HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS..when i use it i always hit directly on the mech so the AOE is not a matter of concern on me:P
Posted Image

#12 DESMO

DESMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostdEd101, on January 20 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

- Smaller area of effect means that it is less likely the user will hit himself with the EMP (no more chasing down guys who hit themselves as well as you for one of those really satisfying post-EMP kills)

For better or worse, this will make the EMP easier to use for most people.  It will probably still make deathmatch modes a little retarded, but I find it's not always the best equipment in siege mode.  With the return of the detonator players will have an attractive alternative to the EMP - as long as it's re-introduced as an offensive item instead of a support item..

It's game content, so I don't know if there's any point raging over some random dude using it.  If there is an effective EMP user on the other  team, it's time to pull out your EMP equipped mech and show them how it's done.

Edited by DESMO, January 20 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 01:45 PM

I want to believe that EMPs will properly work and will add value to the game; that in a near future. Probably after the patch's release.

But I've already expressed my second thoughts on the revised EMPs.. so I can't and won't vote as it is (the poll) now. :)

Posted Image

#14 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 20 2013 - 02:16 PM

I only use it when I'm against stacked teams and the game looks similar to 10-34ish and there's only 1 other guy picking up kills. Even then I use it as an "oh sheet" button to fall back&heal. The few times that I have used it to go on the offensive I felt kinda dirty. Unless 3-4 enemies are close enough to hit em all with 1 EMP. I'll do that for shitzNgiggles :D though I immediately retreat.

OP - Even with these changes I'm still going to refrain from using it. That and it's only equipped to 1 mech that I've already maxed.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#15 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted January 20 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostFenixStryk, on January 20 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Note the lack of EMP immunity; even post-patch, there will be nothing in place to prevent chained EMPs.

I'll be using it more often. It's still best-in-slot for all of the reasons it was before, but the smaller hitbox is enough for me to not feel as guilty. With the nerfs, people will need to be shown very directly why this item is still best-in-slot and in need of further adjustment.

I've always used it on my non-brawler mechs, gonna keep using it. Only way for things to get changed is if the devs see results.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#16 RavenCaspian

RavenCaspian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSentium

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:39 PM

It think improve on how the countermeasure works rather than the EMP itself.
Posted ImageThe lazy slacker...

#17 _Hex_

_Hex_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have one mech set aside for harassing the DEVs and other EMP nuubs. It is outfitted with an EMP for the sole purpose of harassing [ADH] and [MTR] players until they bring it in line with other items. As a heads up: Rev-GL + EMP = easymode. I almost never get quadkills with my Infil, but with that Grenadier...mhh

IMO: the EMP becomes a crutch for players. You THINK you're good until you stop using it. It's oodles of fun when people who use it tell me that they're better in a 1 on 1 than me. I tell them to stop using it for part of the round, and major lulz ensue.

Edited by _Hex_, January 20 2013 - 03:46 PM.

View PostLeonhardt, on April 30 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

alt+F4 fixes this. Reinstall and as soon as you see it quickly hit alt+F4. If the game crashes restart and try again until its fixed.

#18 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted January 20 2013 - 03:50 PM

Well... I'll have to see the thing in action against me. Personally I want to have this experience then determine if it is still over powered.
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#19 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:00 PM

EMP exists... Deal with it.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#20 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostRavenCaspian, on January 20 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

It think improve on how the countermeasure works [rather than the EMP itself].

I partially agree on that. :)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users