HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

First/Oldest PC game ever played_ (Have fun, list both)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:17 AM

Tandy 1000 King's Quest Baby!

Although, I may have played Zork on IBM PC before that... too long ago to recall which I did first.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#22 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:19 AM

Side note... who remembers Oregon Trail on Apple II's_ hehe.

http://www.virtualap...ntraildisk.html

Edited by c0mad0r, January 23 2013 - 01:54 AM.

It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

#23 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:40 AM

Seclan - HERO was EPIC!  I had forgotten about that one.  Did you ever have Aztec for the C-64_  It was a side-scroller I had on C-64 and Apple ][+.  Oh, and Karateka:

Posted Image

Funny thing about Karateka is that if you owned the original store-bought copy on 5-1/4" floppy, you could install the floppy upside down and it would load a copy of the game that played upside down.  True story lol.  I actually finished the game that way.

#24 ShinjukuX

ShinjukuX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted January 22 2013 - 01:41 PM

My first would have to be Wagon Trail (Oregon trail I cant remember I was in grade school)

Edited by ShinjukuX, January 22 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Seclan

Seclan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostFoggy, on January 22 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Seclan - HERO was EPIC!  I had forgotten about that one.  Did you ever have Aztec for the C-64_  It was a side-scroller I had on C-64 and Apple ][+.  Oh, and Karateka:

Posted Image

Funny thing about Karateka is that if you owned the original store-bought copy on 5-1/4" floppy, you could install the floppy upside down and it would load a copy of the game that played upside down.  True story lol.  I actually finished the game that way.
Yea I remember Aztec! Fun game!
And also, I will never forget Yie Ar Kung Fu, International Karate and Fist II. ^_^
Posted Image

#26 Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:29 PM

Jeez may show a bit of age here but the first PC game I played was on an Aquarius system in a fuzzy bunny Smiths store, Later I bought an Aquarius PC and this game Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Posted Image

Cheers
LL

Edited by Lord_Lucan, January 22 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image

#27 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:31 PM

Nice.  I have the original arcade Yie Ar Kung Fu on my home-built arcade machine.  It runs MAME (arcade emulation software).  I have pretty much every game made for stand-up machines from the 70's through 2000 or so.

Anyone else run MAME_

Posted Image

Edited by Foggy, January 22 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#28 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:41 PM

Other than the Atari
Oh man... I can't even remember the name of it. I was really young and it was educational. It taught you about math and physics while running around in 2D listening to Mozart. Basically the objectives were to run around collecting parts, avoiding enemies, to build all sorts of vehicles and aircraft. When you'd acquire a part  you could go back to your garage and see what elements would change on your current vehicle/aircraft. Then go race it against the Evil Scientist Boss.  

After that was some violence, a Wild West knock off of Wolfenstein. Or Doom take your pick.
   *( Now I want to play this but can't find it :(  )*  *Double Edit - OMG I FOUND IT! :D "Outlaws" wow it came out in 97. Later than I thought
*Edit* The post above me... :wub:

Edited by G4M5T3R, January 22 2013 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#29 ParryDox

ParryDox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Gigastucture city

Posted January 22 2013 - 09:18 PM

Oregon Trail for both options, on school PC.

First on my personal comp: VVVVVV
Oldest on my personal comp: Half-life 2....wow, I must be really young compared to you guys.
Posted Image
I may or may not have gotten help/stolen from Juodvarnis. It is Reisen from the Bad Apple PV.

#30 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostLord_Lucan, on January 22 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Jeez may show a bit of age here but the first PC game I played was on an Aquarius system in a fuzzy bunny Smiths store, Later I bought an Aquarius PC and this game Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Cheers
LL

Wow... THAT brings back memories! 1982 or something close to that.

#31 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:54 AM

Original Oregon Trail on Apple 2gs Emulator. Play it now!

http://www.virtualap...ntraildisk.html

#32 Lillia

Lillia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted January 23 2013 - 03:46 AM

My first FPS was Doom. But I believe I played Missile Defender before anything else... if that counts.

#33 Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Postc0mad0r, on January 23 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

View PostLord_Lucan, on January 22 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Cheers
LL

Wow... THAT brings back memories! 1982 or something close to that.

I think they came out between 82 and 85 if you do a youtube search there is some game play footage I showed it to my teenage son and he laughed his head off.

Cheers
LL
Posted Image

#34 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:19 PM

First PC game is Paratrooper
http://en.wikipedia....er_(video_game)

Oldest I think is Space Invaders.

First FPS was Doom :D good times.

Anybody here remember the Sinclair ZX Spectrum_ I've got one that still works. Or it did last time I checked...

Edited by dEd101, January 23 2013 - 12:22 PM.

General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#35 Kai_Kitamura

Kai_Kitamura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:16 PM

Briefly_ Sokoban on a 5 1/4" floppy on both counts. I actually remember it fondly for all the five years I had at that point.

For a more involved gameplay session, Wolfenstein 3D as first and Ultima IV as oldest.
Brawler - Gespenst Type-S -=- Bruiser - Gespenst Type-R -=- Rocketeer - Randgirth -=- Infiltrator - Lion -=- Sharpshooter - Weissritter

...make no mistake - we are not shy
We're very wide awake - the moon and I!

#36 Redden

Redden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted January 24 2013 - 08:17 AM

I think mine was Amazon Trail 3. or SimAnt. one of the two.

oldest game played is Wolfenstein.

#37 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 24 2013 - 08:57 AM

One of the first games I played for the PC was an Air Fighter SIM; IIRC the first Falcon game. By the time I was playing that game, the military was using it in simulation exercices... At an unbeliveable high quality 16colors CGA video graphics... Lol. those were Good 'Ol Days, indeed. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#38 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:04 AM

The first PC game i remember playing would be... The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. Couldn't speak english back then, so all i did was wander the strange new world i was in. Loved it, still in my opinion, the best TES game to date, (yes, i've played daggerfall, but i like morrowind better)
I did have a Sega genesis before i had a PC. It melted when i accidentally left it under a lamp.

Edited by Juodvarnis, January 24 2013 - 09:05 AM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#39 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:18 AM

I have very good memories of this game too: The Dig.

That was an amazing game in those times! Anyone else played the game too_ :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#40 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on January 24 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

At an unbeliveable high quality 16colors CGA video graphics... Lol. those were Good 'Ol Days, indeed. :D

You know, I kinda miss those days too.  I mean of course I'm impressed with the level of graphics we have now in today's games, but in the past it was like a "Blood, Toil, Tears, and Sweat" job to get the game working at impressive FPS.  But when it did, oh the satisfaction it brought to the player!  I mean today even Intel integrated graphics are pretty decent enough to run light games, but in the past, only graphic cards could run games.  When Quake III came out, there wasn't even a graphics card powerful enough to run the damn thing, but 6 months later they came out with the Geforce 256, and finally the game ran properly.  Well, I started out with an nVidia Riva 128ZX and when I didn't have access to that I had to use Integrated SiS 530 (*throws up*).  But then I got my own, my first gaming card: an nVidia Geforce 2 GTS, and everything changed!  It was like going from the slums of Uganda to the Penthouse sweet in Paris.  DAMN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Not to mention the 50-100MHz FSB overclocking and a 50-200MHz CPU speed increase had a HUGE impact on performance.  Dealing with DIP switches and IRQ conflicts and having a proper AGP slot or relying on the crappy PCI 33 slot...soo many pains, yet somehow it was fun.  Just the thought of visiting a computer shop made me jump for joy!  Ah, miss it.

Edited by machmanx, January 24 2013 - 09:21 AM.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users