HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Meet the Mech Masters: Producer Jason "[HWK] Hughes" Hughes

Community Introduction Interview

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Hugs_

Hugs_

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUnknown Kadath

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:21 PM

For our first edition of Meet the Mech Masters venerable Producer Jason Hughes is in the hot seat!

Posted Image

Name: Jason Hughes
Callsign: [HWK]Hughes
Favorite Mech: Reaper

Favorite Map: [background=white]REDACTED[/font]
Role on HAWKEN: Producer

So, don't take this the wrong way, but um... What exactly does a producer do_

Producers are a tricky bunch and I've heard quite a few different definitions on what that entails. I'm not sure that everyone would describe the job in the same way and I believe a lot depends on the personality of the person in the role.

Ultimately, I'm responsible for delivering the game. The guy who makes sure things are taken care of or helps ensure those things get taken care of. True, there's the classic description of being one who balances quality, schedule and budget and my goal is for us to hit as many of those points as possible.

However I consider that to be just a part of what I do and getting things done often involves being a jack of all trades. I jump in where help might be needed, help members of the team out with what might be causing them a problem, look after the studio as a whole, put time into business development needs and ultimately help make sure the vision for the game and studio is unified and on the right path.

I heard someone smart describe the role once as being a head coach of the team and I think that's a pretty fitting description. Everyone at the studio works really hard, does amazing work and I do everything I can to support them, the studio and the project.

What got you started in video games_

Posted Image

The interest was there as long as I can remember but I suppose it started with me messing around in Applesoft Basic in elementary school. I was playing Rygar at the local pizza place in fifth grade and had vision of making a game of my own so I got together with a friend and we started work on The Hidden Scroll.

We didn't get very far but it was pretty cool and ended up looking something like The Bard's Tale. I spent a lot of time on lighting design and computer science in college; which I admit sounds like a weird mix, but I had an interest in both movies and games so it made sense to me. I focused much more on movies at first and spent a number of years in the film industry doing commercials, music videos and some small features in both production and camera. I started transitioning to visual effects, but ultimately decided to make a career change.

I switched to gaming and ended up at THQ in 2004. I've been in gaming almost 10 years now and haven't regretted the choice for a moment.

Finally, and most importantly, if you were a mech, what sort of mech would you be_

One with a coffee mug in his hand.

Team HAWKEN thanks Jason for volunteering going first, because Hugs made him do it. You can usually find [HWK]Hughes in our forums between the hours of 2:00 AM- 5:00 AM PST (GMT -8).

Click here to view the article
xxoo

#2 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:37 PM

Cool initiative ! It's very nice to "see" the human side behind a game, i've never seen such effort pushed this far before.
It's really one of the things that make Hawken so special in my heart :)

Posted Image

#3 Gookywun

Gookywun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:39 PM

These are great. Keep em' coming! (Y)

Posted Image

http://www.twitch.tv/gookywun

http://www.twitch.tv/lancersofficial

Dubbed 'Angela Merkel - Emperor of the Union' by ReachH.

#4 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:42 PM

Lemme, guess is your favorite map... <DATA EXPUNGED> from the <DATA EXPUNGED>_

But still, great work guys. :D
< TEXT-FIELD >

#5 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:47 PM

As someone just getting their feet wet in the advertising/commercial media industry it's nice to hear that nerding out at some point down the line isn't off the table! Sounds like Hawken is in good hands.

I would love to see more of these, in particular, featuring whoever is responsible for the game's audio slash sound effects, which have impressed me more and more with each update!

Edited by Roundlay, February 15 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#6 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:59 PM

Giving us more info on the developers. This shows that you do want to be in the community than just creating a game. I congratulate you for making an initiative to be a little bit more personal with the community.
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#7 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 15 2013 - 08:38 PM

I totally bet his favorite map starts with the letter V... for victory.

#8 Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFunkytown

Posted February 15 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, seeing devs get involved with the community more than simply moderating forums and giving updates is great. It's always nice to see more personal touches from the people making the game. Things like this are partially why I like being part of the communities  of such games as Hawken and City of Steam. The developers are personable and involved with their players.
"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Do what thou Whilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the Law, Love under Will."--Aleister Crowley

#9 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted February 15 2013 - 08:51 PM

Getting to know the people behind the game...this is great! It's like taking a look into the heart and soul of the game. Seeing what makes it tick, so to speak. Excellent idea in deciding to do this! I hope we get to see many more of these!

One thing keeps bugging me, ....what IS that in the background of Hughes profile pic_! I've been trying to figure it out. Is it a conference room_ Kitchen_ Mini bar_ Or is it a <REDACTED>_ Oh wait! Maybe it's a <REDACTED><SYSTEMS ALERT: FLAGGING USER>_ Ah ha! I got it! It's a <REDACTED><FULL ALERT. DISPATCHING HELLFIRE MISSILES TO USERS LOCATION>.

Hey....why is the word "Incoming" flashing on my monitor_

Posted Image

#10 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 08:31 AM

To Jason Hughes: W-T-F were you thinking_!_ . . . when you took your picture in that room_  Can't you see the DARK EYES staring at you all the way in the back__ :o :P

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#11 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 01:47 PM

i seriously want a Hawken t-shirt and/or cap - like the one in the photo. Who do i throw my cash at devs_

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 16 2013 - 02:27 PM

I like this initiative very much. Very interesting, indeed! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 GN010

GN010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPH GMT+8

Posted February 17 2013 - 11:19 PM

Me want that Hawken cap.
public enum MECHS {
SHARPSHOOTER_LV25, REAPER_LV25, SCOUT_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, ROCKETEER_LV25, CRT_RECRUIT_LV20,
BRAWLER_LV1, GRENADIER_LV11
};//GN010 current mechs, plays @ us-west servers but located in gmt+8. @author gn010 @since 12/2012

#14 _AlexanderKnight_

_AlexanderKnight_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 05:00 PM

dose any-one know when the clans will be out_

#15 _AlexanderKnight_

_AlexanderKnight_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 05:01 PM

dose any-one know when the clans will be out_

#16 snarparrics

snarparrics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 09:50 AM

Приветик! Выручайте, нужен класный рецепт пицы с салями. Хочу своих побаловать, а ничего толкового найти не могу.

#17 Kruthal_Dexlar

Kruthal_Dexlar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location//Prosk F.O.B//

Posted February 19 2013 - 10:10 AM

My take away from this - WHERE CAN I BUY THAT HAT_!

#18 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted February 19 2013 - 10:41 AM

*Wonders if google has a cached copy to see what map he put first*

Thank you JH for the nearly-human inside look. You work to much to be completely human. ;)
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#19 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 27 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Postc0mad0r, on February 19 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

*Wonders if google has a cached copy to see what map he put first*

Thank you JH for the nearly-human inside look. You work to much to be completely human. ;)

Hehe, thanks. I'll take nearly-human...

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#20 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted February 28 2013 - 03:59 AM

Something tells me that picture was also taken under pain of death.

Hugs, what sort of blackmail did you have on the poor guy_ That's a forced smile on par with the Stepford Wives.

...No need to publicize his dirt, of course. I have a PM inbox. ;)
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Introduction, Interview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users