HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Meet the Mech Masters: 3D Artist Cameron Kerby

Community Introduction Interview

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Hugs_

Hugs_

Former Community Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUnknown Kadath

Posted February 22 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just where do all the things you see in HAWKEN come from_

Posted Image

Name: Cameron Kerby
Callsign: [HWK]Kerbstomp
Favorite Mech: Reaper

Favorite Map: [background=white]REDACTED[/font]
Role on HAWKEN: 3D Artist

So, you do art in 3D_ How does that work_

Usually one of our concept artists dreams up something awesome, and then it’s up to me to create it in 3D. That means I’m modeling and texturing (by applying texture maps) stuff like mechs, weapons, and other items you see in the game. I use Autodesk Maya for modeling, and I texture using Photoshop. The assets I make usually are first modeled “high poly” with as much detail as possible.

We have a large model library of mechanical parts to help this process. Things like hoses, pistons, and engine parts don’t need to be made from scratch every time. I custom make the big shapes, like torsos and unique body panels, but the smaller stuff such as arms and joints I usually just borrow models from the library and jam them in somewhere. This process is known as "kitbashing"; using an old model in a new way to create something new. Once the high-detail model is finished, I use it to “bake” the detail onto a lower poly model by creating a normal map texture. Even though the game model contains only a fraction of the geometry the high-poly one has, the normal map creates an illusion of complexity.

This is the model that will actually make it into the game. From there I’ll create the diffuse and specular textures using a combination of photos and painting. That’s where I’ll add paint, dirt, weathering, and damage.

English translation: Sorcery.

Lately I’ve been doing most of the drones and thrusters for the new mechs. I’ve improved my techniques a lot over the past year so I’m pretty proud of those, specifically the texturing and how the light plays off the surfaces. Check it out next time you stop to heal!

What got you started in video games_

Posted Image

Games have pretty much always been part of my life and hobbies. I started playing as a kid and kept up with it throughout my adolescence. Naturally, I went to school for Computer Animation with my sights set on the game industry. Hawken is actually the first legit game I’ve worked on. I had trouble finding work for a couple of years after graduating. It’s just the nature of our industry right now unfortunately. I worked on a couple of mods, and my day job was working for IDV, who develops Speedtree, a real-time software for creating trees and vegetation. The software comes with a large library of foliage that I contributed to a good bit. You’ll probably be seeing my trees in a lot of your favorite games for years to come!

When Adhesive first showed off HAWKEN back in 2011, I was immediately captivated. I quickly contacted them and learned that it had no funding at the time. Everyone was working for free! That was something I was already familiar with, so I gladly accepted the opportunity to contribute. About six months later funding was acquired, Meteor was formed, and I was offered a fulltime position. My wife and I sold everything we couldn’t fit in our car and drove across the country! I’ve been here a little over a year now. I couldn’t be happier.

Finally, and most importantly, what's your favorite movie with a mech in it_

Posted Image

District 9!  The imagery in that film is just amazing.

Team HAWKEN thanks Cameron for bringing his talent (and his family) across the country to work with us. You can find [HWK]Kerbstomp in our forums on occasion, if you see him don't hesitate to say hello!

Click here to view the article
xxoo

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 22 2013 - 03:56 PM

As interesting as nice, thanks! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 22 2013 - 04:03 PM

I like this Meet The Mech Masters series. :)
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#4 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted February 22 2013 - 04:04 PM

yay Kirby!

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#5 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 04:16 PM

Well, at least we got the most boring one out of the way... :lol:

#6 DESMO

DESMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 04:25 PM

Awesome art, Awesome story.  It's what Hawken is made of.  District 9 insectoid mech with South African accent also awesome.  Lots of awesome going on here.

#7 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 05:01 PM

Mooses/SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS/liquid fusion better be sporting a neckbeard and a fedora in his.

I think it is 1000's of money. IT IS 1000,s OF MONEY!!!.

#8 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostCameronKerby, on February 22 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Yeah, Hughes went last week so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

#9 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 06:32 PM

Glad you got the job. What got me into the game initally were some of your models which I stumbled across on cgsociety or polycount. Don't remember. I think the day after that I opened up Softimage and tried modeling something seriously for the first time. X-Wing, still not finished..
Anyways, thanks for the interview, that was really insightful. I'd be happy to see more behind the scenes from the 3D department in the future.
[Pilot Error]

#10 Inlite

Inlite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 06:38 PM

Cameron - Do you have any creative freedom in the modeling of the mech_ or is is strictly follow the concept art_

#11 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted February 22 2013 - 07:28 PM

this was educational. thanks.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#12 [HWK]HAGER

[HWK]HAGER

QA Lead

• Adhesive Games
  • 106 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Post[HWK]Deuy, on February 22 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Yeah, Hughes went last week so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

haha...boring producers!
Richard Hager
AP || Adhesive Games || twitter: @hwkhager

#13 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostInlite, on February 22 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Cameron - Do you have any creative freedom in the modeling of the mech_ or is is strictly follow the concept art_

Good question. Yes and no. At Adhesive it is encouraged to use the concept more as a guideline. Create the proportions and the "signature" details, but everything else can be approximated. Efficiency is very important in our pipeline, and if it's going to take you an extra week to make it look exactly like the concept, generally it's better just to get it "close." At other studios, that might not be the case.

However, I personally prefer following the concept as closely as I can. That's mainly because I'm pretty anal about my work, and I trust the vision of our concept artists over mine. It works out in the end, because the more I model unique shapes, the larger our kitbash library becomes, making the process quicker for the rest of the team (and myself). Sometimes I'll be modeling some detail I found in the concept, and JP comes over and goes, "Oh dude that's awesome! What is it_" I show him the concept, and then he tells me that was just a "happy accident" or a misplaced brushstroke, LOL. Ultimately it comes down to a balance of appeal and time management.

Another example of creative freedom we exercise is making sure the concept "works." For example, sometimes a concept just doesn't translate to 3D very well. It looks great on paper and orthographically, but it just doesn't look right once it's modeled out. Figuring that out early on (before you waste all your time modeling the whole thing) is pretty valuable as a 3D artist. It's rare, but when it happens I'll play around with some different looks or I'll ask the artist to take a look at it. Sometimes they'll do a quick "paintover" for me, or there's been times when the concept was just scraped in favor of a new one. Our guys are pretty awesome here, so I can always count on them if I'm ever in doubt.

#14 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 22 2013 - 08:36 PM

can I have the 3d model of the Sharpshooter, so that I can print out a 3d copy_

please_ :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#15 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted February 22 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Post[HWK]Hugs, on February 22 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hawken is actually the first legit game I’ve worked on. I had trouble finding work for a couple of years after graduating. It’s just the nature of our industry right now unfortunately. I worked on a couple of mods, and my day job was working for IDV, who develops Speedtree, a real-time software for creating trees and vegetation.

The gaming industry is less than glamorous (Been there, done that), yet I constantly see young talent drooling over trying to break into the industry. As such, do you have any suggestions or thoughts of wisdom for those aspiring artists and designers out there_ What should they study, how can they keep that dream alive or where should they start... things like that.

View Post[HWK]Hugs, on February 22 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

When Adhesive first showed off HAWKEN back in 2011, I was immediately captivated. I quickly contacted them and learned that it had no funding at the time. Everyone was working for free!

Looks like you gambled on a chance and it paid off. Congratulations on that... you pretty much won the lottery.

So, just how difficult is it to stay concentrated at making meshes and skins in that open office after everyone has eaten at Armando's Mexican Food or El Pollo Loco_ :D
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#16 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 04:34 AM

A District 9 fan.  Excellent.  You may stay.  :)

#17 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted February 23 2013 - 05:03 AM

So you were the guy who watched District 9 in Hughes's video. Next up, the guy that played LoL!

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#18 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostDeVact, on February 23 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

So you were the guy who watched District 9 in Hughes's video. Next up, the guy that played LoL!

LOL. Nope that was one of our animators. It was ME playing LoL!

That's what happens when you film our studio on lunch break without letting us know...

#19 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:25 PM

View Postc0mad0r, on February 22 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

As such, do you have any suggestions or thoughts of wisdom for those aspiring artists and designers out there_ What should they study, how can they keep that dream alive or where should they start... things like that.

Never stop improving, never stop learning. Compare your work to the best in the industry, not your peers.

You don't always have to reinvent the wheel with your art; start small. A well made fire hydrant is way more impressive than a half finished alien/spaceship/robot/mech/super hero.

Use a simple, intuitive site for showing off your work; splash pages and flash interfaces should be avoided.

Move to where the work is. For a while I thought I could avoid this, but as you can imagine, South Carolina doesn't provide much opportunity for game development.

Get to know the right people, network.

Drop the pride. When I graduated, I figured I'd be home for a week before the entire industry would be calling me up. LOL. Internships, mods, junior positions... take whatever you can get. You're always going to grow in a studio more than you could on your own. Just don't stop fighting till you've clawed your way in!

View Postc0mad0r, on February 22 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

So, just how difficult is it to stay concentrated at making meshes and skins in that open office after everyone has eaten at Armando's Mexican Food or El Pollo Loco_ :D

Haha, you'll have to talk to Duey about those specifics. The open office does have its challenges though. As we continue to grow in numbers, unfortunately we're growing in volume as well. Our studio is horrible for acoustics, so one person talking at a reasonable volume can be heard across the entire building. We've been trying to use our "inside voices" lately, but that's about all we can do. :)

#20 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 23 2013 - 02:57 PM

As a 3D animation student, I find you very interesting.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, February 23 2013 - 02:58 PM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Introduction, Interview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users