HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Fight Club Tournament

Event Community Contest

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 10 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostSaturnine, on March 10 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

There may be more tournaments like this in the future, but not for a looooooooong time.
Now you know how Zeshi felt.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#82 Evex_Wolfwing

Evex_Wolfwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 05:44 PM

Arcanus and I are sorry to have missed out que. Hope the rest of you guys had a good time!

Posted Image

Prepare to Pilot your Level!

#83 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 10 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

There may be more tournaments like this in the future, but not for a looooooooong time.
Now you know how Zeshi felt.

Even as a spectator, Saturday was 8 non stop HOURS. Today was at least 3. Mad props to both Zeshi for the previous hosting, and Saturnine for hosting this go round. Next time if extra help is needed for logistics etc; if I am not working or in class I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can

Edited by Astrolis, March 12 2013 - 07:21 AM.

Posted Image

#84 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks again to all of you, feel free to keep using this thread for any related discussion, and...

I'll see you all out on the battlefield!

That's a shame. I had an absolute blast, and look forward for another chance to butt heads with the best. Thanks again for the enormous amount of effort to put this thing on. :D
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#85 Anoka

Anoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the opportunity fellas, Hopefully next time I'll do a bit better :3

Posted Image
Mech mechanic!

#86 Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the hard work that those of you hosting this event put in.

#87 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm still kicking myself in the leg now...
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#88 Derf

Derf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationfar far away

Posted March 11 2013 - 07:47 AM

This was a lot of fun! It was great to get a chance to watch and play against some of the top Hawken players.

Many thanks to Saturnine for all his hard work organizing, to Sylihri for all the excellent graphics, and to Rei, Toryne, and all the other streamers! Also, having the private servers was wonderful, thanks [HWK]!
Go then, there are other worlds than these.

#89 RentAKnight

RentAKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted March 11 2013 - 08:13 AM

First, thanks for doing everything Saturnine!  The tourny's wouldn't have been possible without your dedication.

Now, let's write down some lessons learned so that the next tournament can be streamlined and not take as long and be so exhausting for those involved.

You should definitely delegate a lot more responsibility in the future so that you aren't literally doing EVERYTHING.  

If you are going to cast, you should consider hiring someone else to do bracket organization (which games are played when) during the tournament.

There should be a dedicated bracket admin doing the web brackets, and a dedicated teamspeak admin that is moving players around (this person could also be the bracket organization admin).

There were plenty of people sitting around idle waiting for their turn to play so there was no need for you, at times, to be losing your head doing everything.

Communication could have been better on who was expected to play when.  It seemed random to a person outside the know, the order in which the individual matches were played.  Those in the third bracket sat around waiting while players from brackets 1 and 2 played multiple matches (1st round and 2nd round).  Those in bracket three had no expectation of when they would get to play, and waited for as long as 4 hours before their first match.  In the future I would suggest attempting to make sure that no one plays a 2nd match before someone hasn't played their 1st.

Of course, the more servers the better, but that's out of our hands, so I won't make server recommendations.

The arena chosen played out pretty well for the most part.  However, I have a couple critical observations:
  • When the high ground was abused, it was clearly advantageous.  I would consider removing the hill behind the buildings on the far south side from the arena.  Players should fight around the smaller buildings where if you choose to take the high ground you are still susceptible from multiple sides/angles.
  • The arena was too large.  A mechs could reset matches via running and repairing almost as often as they wanted to.  Brawlers had trouble cornering A mechs and couldn't rush, when they did they were kited endlessly around the large arena often walking over EOC mines.

That's all I have for now, I'll be updating this post as new considerations come to me.

Edited by RentAKnight, March 11 2013 - 08:16 AM.

Inactive.

#90 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 09:21 AM

Those are good things to consider. What would have made a huge difference would go from 5 kills for a win to 3 kills for a win until finals which would speed things up immensely. Some fights were really short while others had very long run time due to a lot of cover. If a new map comes out next time we attempt this that is suited better then we will totally use this. We also did try to get a diverse selection of mechs during this tournament, including the sharpshooter even though we banned powershot, but that didn't end up happening as well as I thought (a lot of Flak Cannons).

Interesting strategies came out of this tourny and hopefully the it will help the developers if not with more balancing issues (maps, weapons) but also our needs in spectator mode, lol. What really stood out was how feathering effected the shield and the use of Taunts to look in 3rd person.

Edited by Sylhiri, March 11 2013 - 09:23 AM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#91 Derf

Derf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationfar far away

Posted March 13 2013 - 10:02 PM

As far as extra help organizing in the future I would be happy to run the bracket; I have a pretty large amount of experience running sparring brackets for martial arts tournaments.

On a broader note, My friends and I found the 2v2 matches much more fun to watch. This was in no small part due to the amount of hide-and-repair that happened during the 1v1s. Perhaps if there is another 1v1 tournament the arena could be smaller and the use of the repair function either banned or somehow limited.

Edit: limiting the repair function would make the health charge even more powerful than it already is, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Edited by Derf, March 13 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Event, Community, Contest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users