HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken for Mac

Game

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 UltimateSuperLemon

UltimateSuperLemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 07:25 AM

I play on mac, and I think that Hawken should be available for other mac players like myself. When I created my account after watching Yogscastlalna (a.k.a Duncan) play this game, I found the download page but the only thing I could see was a window download. If a mac game was added I would be extremely grateful.

-UltimateSuperLemon

#2 lechita_de_vaca

lechita_de_vaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostUltimateSuperLemon, on May 21 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I play on mac, and I think that Hawken should be available for other mac players like myself. When I created my account after watching Yogscastlalna (a.k.a Duncan) play this game, I found the download page but the only thing I could see was a window download. If a mac game was added I would be extremely grateful.

-UltimateSuperLemon

I too am a mac player and I use a late 2012 Mac Book Pro that i am sure would be able to handle the game I just dont see why alot of games are only for pc

I feel you :P

Edited by lechita_de_vaca, May 21 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Insightful

Insightful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationBEHIND YOU!

Posted May 21 2013 - 03:49 PM

Porting this game to Mac would be a mammoth undertaking and since this game is still in beta I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Also the reason most games are on PC's is because they hold the largest market currently and have for a very long time.

EDIT: Now that I think about you could just dual boot Windows in your Mac so you wouldn't have to worry about this type of thing. I know that's what I did as I usually run in Linux. Anyways just a thought, good luck to ya both....

Edited by Insightful, May 21 2013 - 03:55 PM.

“It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it”

Aristotle

#4 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:19 PM

Boot Camp, problem solved
Posted Image

#5 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:27 PM

exactly, it's so easy to run windows on a mac now that this needn't be discussed...

#6 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on January 27 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Q: Can I run Hawken on a Mac/will it be available on Mac_ And why not_
A: Currently no, Hawken is only supported on (Windows) PC (and Shield when it comes out). People have been successful with Wine or BootCamp, or other Windows emulation software(_), but it may not work. Check the Useful Threads List.

As to why not, the game is built using DirectX, a Windows only multimedia and game "toolkit" (I'm simplifying here, use wiki :)). Porting the game over to an alternative to DirectX is a huge and time consuming task, and given that the large majority of gamers use PC (nothing against other OS platforms), it would be unprofitable.

and

https://community.pl...awken-on-linux/

Edited by ArnieF4440, May 21 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#7 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted May 22 2013 - 03:53 PM

Mac≠Linux

for some reason, my wrappers can't communicate with the Hawken server, as it is server side, there is nothing I can do.

Posted Image

#8 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted May 23 2013 - 11:24 PM

View Postphed, on May 21 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

exactly, it's so easy to run windows on a mac now that this needn't be discussed...
Except for the cost of the license for windows, and potential sub-standard drivers for the hardware.  So yes, this should "be discussed"...

OS religion or suitability for games is irrelevant to the topic.  The answer of 'just install windows' is not a workaround that renders the question/problem of the poster 'fixed' as it's not, nor does it eliminate the 'need' for the discussion.

View PostUltimateSuperLemon, on May 21 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I play on mac, and I think that Hawken should be available for other mac players like myself.
As you can probably tell by now, this has been asked before in the past, more than a few times.  :)

The devs have said they want to get Hawken to as many people as possible, but at this time they have no plans to port the game to any other operating system, with the NVidia Shield device being the sole exception (the impression we have been given is that it's being done by a separate group within Adhesive and not the core Hawken team).  Right now they are concentrating on getting the Windows build finished.  After that, who knows, they may have the time and resources to port it over to Mac OS.  That is, assuming Apple doesn't go even more hardcore anti-gamer than they are already. :mellow:

For now, the only way to play the game on a Mac is to go the bootcamp route, or wait and see if SilentJacket can figure out his MacWINE wrapper roadblock.

Edited by bacon_avenger, May 23 2013 - 11:26 PM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#9 xRiPP3Rx

xRiPP3Rx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:12 PM

I wish this was available for mac...I dl'd and signed up only to find out its windows only... at least wish there was an emulator or virtual engine I could run in vmware or something. I will look into this If I can figure out somethings I will post back the specs on a vmware setup or cloud dl. =)

#10 _Stereobear_

_Stereobear_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 10:09 PM

i too wish i could play on my mac, i know that a lot of games are centered around pc's but i own a mac,  and i wish there was a way that not just i could play, but the rather large market that the hawken team seems to be neglecting right now, i want to compliment the game because i feel i've been a bit negative, but i haven't played it, it looks nice though.

#11 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 02 2013 - 05:29 AM

Lol i was inspired to play this game the day when Yogscast Duncan a.k.a lalna played and it was truly epic. also he did buy meteor credits since his recruit was lvl 1 with zero xp so he bought sharpshooter first. also many games arent on mac. i think because mac is a browsing computer and you cant get many viruses on mac either. but i dont feel your pain and game is still in beta, so when this game shifts into official            
then maybe there will be a mac launcher available for download
Posted Image

#12 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted June 02 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostxRiPP3Rx, on May 31 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

I wish this was available for mac...I dl'd and signed up only to find out its windows only... at least wish there was an emulator or virtual engine I could run in vmware or something. I will look into this If I can figure out somethings I will post back the specs on a vmware setup or cloud dl. =)
My post right above yours.  :)  Check with SilentJacket, he's been working on getting this working through MacWINE for a while now and seems to have hit a roadblock between the client and the servers.  Perhaps you might notice something.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#13 OdeaRecords

OdeaRecords

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 02:42 PM

isn't Hawken developed in UDK_

Doesn't UDK allow exporting to macs_

#14 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted June 28 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostOdeaRecords, on June 28 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

isn't Hawken developed in UDK_

Doesn't UDK allow exporting to macs_
The UDK bit is fine ... the DirectX part is not.

EDIT: I've just been corrected, apparently Hawken uses Unreal Engine 3, not UDK

Edited by ArnieF4440, June 28 2013 - 06:42 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#15 Big_bumbou1

Big_bumbou1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:17 AM

how is this fair_ i spend £50 on this game then i converted to a mac and i find i can't get it_ i want my money back or at least be able to get hawken

#16 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 12 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostBig_bumbou1, on August 12 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

how is this fair_ i spend £50 on this game then i converted to a mac and i find i can't get it_ i want my money back or at least be able to get hawken

Explain me ... did you spend 50 pounds BEFORE you have every played Hawken_

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#17 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted August 12 2013 - 07:54 PM

I've erroneously said in the past that I didn't think the game would play well on a mac due to GPU limitations etc. but I've actually managed to install bootcamp and run it on my macbook pro (2011).  The game looks pretty good albeit on a 15" screen.  The laptop heats up like an infiltrator twitching a heatcannon, but that's the cost of using a mac for gaming.  I wish it ran native but this is big...because I can take my macbook pro on vacation and play even away from home!  

There is a cost for Windows, but if most of you are college students or if you know a student, I think you can usually get Windows 7 for an educational discount.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#18 MS79

MS79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on May 22 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Mac≠Linux

OS X = Apple's distro of FreeBSD UNIX.

#19 Sadukar

Sadukar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted August 12 2013 - 10:52 PM

why not _ as arnie said directx and believe or not, indirectly, because of XBOX and its popularity through which microsoft gained a lot in terms of gaming development. And even there are a few among us that request it the demand is still not there, the mac is popular in many areas but not gaming.
Developing/porting a game to another OS has its challenges, initial parallel developing is an extra time/financial effort which adhesive I think cannot afford now, and porting for mac os for eg, though now easier since the powerpc proc was replaced by intel hence the same processor architecture, still requires you to convert the graphics instructions for directx to opengl library.

So for the moment pc is the way to go for gaming, it says so in the game requirements.

And @Big_bumbou1 ... did you buy this free game _!_

Edited by Sadukar, August 12 2013 - 10:54 PM.

If you do not see this signature don't worry it is not really invisible, its infiltrating, look closely and you might see some distorsion,

#20 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 13 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostBig_bumbou1, on August 12 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

Posted Image
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users