HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Heatsink Update: Patch Notes

Game Patch

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#21 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostKejiGoto, on June 18 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostScapes, on June 18 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

• Slug Rifle
    • Decreased heat generation by 7.5%.
    • Increased rate of fire by about 8%.

I like most the other changes by why did the Slug Rifle need a boost in ROF_ Seems like the Reaper and Sharp Shooter are going to be a problem again with this. It's already annoying enough dealing with the range but at least with the slow reload time at least made it possible to respond before you got slammed again. Not sure how this will play out in-game but I don't think it will have a positive impact.

• Heat Cannon
    • Decreased heat generation by 7.5%.
    • Increased rate of fire by 10%.
    • Increased charged direct hit damage by 10%.
    • Decreased charged minimum damage by 10%.

Looks like there will be even more level 25 Scouts running around at higher levels of play now. Guess I need to get good with the Heat Cannon again.

Overall though really good patch and something that has been needed for awhile. I just hope what I pointed out above won't end up being the only weapons you see at higher levels of play.

This will be Hellish, as if we already don't have enough rounds where both teams are almost exclusively Reaper + SS, now there'll be even more...
Sometimes i wonder who comes up with this shizzle.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#22 Akaon

Akaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM

So, currently, amongst SS and reaper players: the vast majority uses the slug rifle over the AM-SAR, ripper and hawkins, at least, those able to equip it. Why_ It is simply the best gun.

So now, slug rifle gets buffed, the other ones do not. It was already by far the best gun available to both mechs, and yet you buff this gun specifically_ (not that the SS/reaper needed ANY buffs whatsoever, both are pretty broken already even without any further buffs)

#23 ScHizNiK

ScHizNiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yep Slug rifle will be the only optimal choice.

Posted Image

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

#24 Akaon

Akaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostScHizNiK, on June 18 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Already was, more so now. Yay monotony.

#25 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:54 AM

Slug is now better than ever !! :D

Posted Image

#26 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:55 AM

• Slug Rifle
    • Increased rate of fire by about 8%.
Forgive bluntness but who's #BLEEP# idea was that_  Do ADH play this game_

Edit: Better judgement self-censorship.

Edited by waftycrank, June 18 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#27 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:56 AM

We'll be keeping an eye on how these balance changes affect weapon selection, rest assured. :)
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#28 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:58 AM

I hope so but I think most people will agree that slug was the LAST thing you guys needed to buff.....( And mini flask was fine as well)

Ahhh well we shall see a lot of good changes are in so ^_^

Edited by deidarall, June 18 2013 - 09:01 AM.

May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#29 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

-Interesting points were made here-

This will be Hellish, as if we already don't have enough rounds where both teams are almost exclusively Reaper + SS, now there'll be even more...

From what I've noticed at higher levels of play Scout tends to dominate what players use with the Infiltrator trailing behind then Reapers and Sharp Shooters making up the rest of the team. Sometimes you get someone playing a Technician or a Type C but the other four you can bet your ass will be there.

It's very surprising to see the Slug Rifle get buffed like that. I can understand a reduction in heat generation but the rate of fire has me puzzled considering it is already a very deadly weapon. Hit scan, long range, high damage, and now increased rate of fire. Not looking forward to seeing the Reaper and SS out in force.

View PostAkaon, on June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

So, currently, amongst SS and reaper players: the vast majority uses the slug rifle over the AM-SAR, ripper and hawkins, at least, those able to equip it. Why_ It is simply the best gun.

So now, slug rifle gets buffed, the other ones do not. It was already by far the best gun available to both mechs, and yet you buff this gun specifically_ (not that the SS/reaper needed ANY buffs whatsoever, both are pretty broken already even without any further buffs)

Based on what I've seen typically the less skilled pilots run without the Slug Rifle on the Sharp Shooter or a level 25 Reaper. There are exceptions but it seems like 9 times out of 10 they aren't very accurate so they go with AM-SAR, RPR, or SA Hawkins to make up for it. For higher skilled players this just made the choice all the easier to go with the Slug Rifle because now it fires even faster, generates less heat, but keeps all the other perks of the weapon.

With weapons like EOC Repeater and Heat Cannon at least they have travel time on their shots, have to be charged to reach max damage, and lack zoom for pin point accuracy at long range.

Posted Image

#30 Giar3579

Giar3579

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationArmenia

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:06 AM

Whoa...Like the new Updates...!
Posted Image
Keep it up and never give up

#31 Creepjack

Creepjack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:08 AM

I really don't like to judge things before I have a chance to try them out but.. honestly_ Sigh... This is not an update I was looking forward to :/.
The spice must flow..

#32 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:13 AM

Apparently the Sharpshooter and Reaper didn't get enough love_

Anyway, I'll spare my judgment until I've got a few hours under my belt with these tweaks to make a more informed opinion.

I'm intrigued by the improvements in range to the various shotgun and sustained fire weapons...that's probably why the Slug and Sabot got some buffs.  I'm hopeful

I'm hoping as well that the Technician's 25% debuff in self-healing is enough, but holy cow the Hawkins 25% damage increase is incredible...that's going to probably be the defacto replacement for ALL Techs and Reapers right-quick.

@ Scapes

Any plans to implement momentum and sliding type after-effects to rocket-boosting_  It would be great to use the C's added mass as a battering ram to slam into enemy...not to mention how awesome it would be to drift-race around maps and skitter narrowly through alleys and off of jumps.

#33 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostScapes, on June 18 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

We'll be keeping an eye on how these balance changes affect weapon selection, rest assured. :)
Hawken needs a PTR server.  With respect, experiments like this - Zaney Slug Lols(™) - are harming the game.  Appreciate still in "beta" but game kind-of-sort-of-isn't.  (Don't buy latest craze of pay-for "betas".  Most players unable to logically separate notion of testing from likely final product.  Forced to remind myself periodically.)  PTR servers give devs freedom to truly experiment - even pants-on-head experiments if needs be - without risk or backlash.

Edit:  Down boy!  Down!

Edited by waftycrank, June 18 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#34 Akaon

Akaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:18 AM

Are you implying then, that currently, the slug is NOT the most picked weapon for SS's and lv 25 reapers_

View PostKejiGoto, on June 18 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

-Interesting points were made here-

From what I've noticed at higher levels of play Scout tends to dominate what players use with the Infiltrator trailing behind then Reapers and Sharp Shooters making up the rest of the team. Sometimes you get someone playing a Technician or a Type C but the other four you can bet your ass will be there.

It's very surprising to see the Slug Rifle get buffed like that. I can understand a reduction in heat generation but the rate of fire has me puzzled considering it is already a very deadly weapon. Hit scan, long range, high damage, and now increased rate of fire. Not looking forward to seeing the Reaper and SS out in force.

View PostAkaon, on June 18 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Based on what I've seen typically the less skilled pilots run without the Slug Rifle on the Sharp Shooter or a level 25 Reaper. There are exceptions but it seems like 9 times out of 10 they aren't very accurate so they go with AM-SAR, RPR, or SA Hawkins to make up for it. For higher skilled players this just made the choice all the easier to go with the Slug Rifle because now it fires even faster, generates less heat, but keeps all the other perks of the weapon.

With weapons like EOC Repeater and Heat Cannon at least they have travel time on their shots, have to be charged to reach max damage, and lack zoom for pin point accuracy at long range.
That makes sense, yeah. But even then, if that is true, this buff would not help new players at all and just buff the good SS/reaper players (and at that point, the SS/reaper is pretty broken atm).

Edited by Akaon, June 18 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#35 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:21 AM

With all due respect, i think you guys have lost touch with what is most complained about.
Considering the staggering amounts of roving packs of SS and Reapers that ruin GAME AFTER GAME, i'm wondering what in the name of the FSM's meatballs you guys are doing.

View PostAkaon, on June 18 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Are you implying then, that currently, the slug is NOT the most picked weapon for SS's and lv 25 reapers_

I hope not, because that just CAN'T be statistically right...
Unless playtime of those who haven't unlocked slug is counted double.
And even then i HIGHLY doubt it.

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, June 18 2013 - 09:26 AM.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_

#36 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostAkaon, on June 18 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Slug killed Frontline.  Was good at first.  Clearly wasn't killed enough.  :)

Edited by waftycrank, June 18 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#37 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm glad for the technician self-repair nerf, but the buffs to the HEAT cannon and slug rifle completely baffle me. Both of these weapons were already considered optimal for the classes that could equip them. Miniflak was fine, too. Definitely didn't need a damage buff when it already outclassed the Vulcan in pretty much every area.

Also, no shield changes makes me frown hard.

Edited by Dew, June 18 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#38 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:27 AM

And now the patch has been pushed back 4 hours...
Hmmm.
And i must agree with Dew, no shield adjustments = baffled Dread Lord.

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, June 18 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#39 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have no issues with the pre this patch slug, didn't think it OP or UP. But decrease heat and increase ROF_  Errrr....  Not sure why that was necessary.

We'll see how these changes do I guess. They increased armor to increase TTK. Now reducing heat is kinda counter productive...

#40 Akaon

Akaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostDew, on June 18 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm glad for the technician self-repair nerf, but the buffs to the HEAT cannon and slug rifle completely baffle me. Both of these weapons were already considered optimal for the classes that could equip them.

Also, no shield changes makes me frown hard.
God, completely forget about the shields =_=. Why aren't they being nerfed....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users