HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New HUD in Ascension - Can we keep the old one, too_

Game Community

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted September 05 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Posthkbrus, on September 05 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

"Make it more badass"
I like the way you think mister.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#42 mikeymop

mikeymop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 08:02 PM

I like what I see with the new HUD, some improvements can be made such as curving the health to make it look like it's projected onto the glass.

Something that could definitely be plausible considering the tech the pilots have at the time.

At first I didn't get the new health bar. When seeing it in person its easy to realize it's part of the helmet and rift users would have an awesome experience having the health bars on 'their' helmet rather than the mech.

I love the increase in view-ability in the new HUD, and the darker cockpit, which IMO resembles a mech better.

I love the functionality of the new reticule however, transforming to show alternate firing modes etc.

Dislikes:
I think the reticule should have thicker lines and a high contrast. I miss how the old one resembled the fusion of a tank and fighter jet.

I also think the radar should be moved to the top left or right and the in game chat on the opposite corner or under the radar.

There is too much visual weight in the bottom of the screen when playing it feels weird, it makes me want to stand my monitor up higher so I don't have to look as far down.

Please show others' K/D again.

Observations:

To me the new update looks much higher quality, while it kills the rugged feeling hawken was originally going for most of this is in the visor which could be perfectly achievable. More should be in the mech itself however, giant glowing tube TV screens for buttons wouldn't be in a mech.

I noticed a glitch where the first mech you use in a match will always show up as the 'favorites' in the match resutls screen. I used SS for two lives and Inf the rest of the match and SS was still the favorite, I know for a face inf was being used for 80%+ of the match.

ATI Vsync is painful to use

Edited by mikeymop, September 07 2013 - 11:02 AM.

i7-3770k | R6870 1GB | Z77 - DDr3 1666
Main: Heat Inf

Pilot of the Penguin mobile!

#43 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted September 05 2013 - 08:55 PM

I think the having visual bars to determine health and fuel make it more legible to determine survivability in combat.

Also, newer jet fighters (F35) have HUDs built into pilot helmets that make their old HUDs seem archaic. Everything floats in front of the field of view. The same thing is happening here.
Call me Nos.

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 05 2013 - 10:00 PM

Where is the clock ubicated by default in Windoze_

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted September 05 2013 - 10:53 PM

I think the new hud is easier to understand at a glance but I'd prefer the health and fuel bars integrated with the cockpit. Also not convinced with the new crosshairs but I'll hold back judgement until I've had a chance to play with it properly.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#46 Linxs

Linxs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany, Berlin

Posted September 06 2013 - 09:58 AM

Please make this ugly new HUD u developed for nvidia shield and occulus rift users optional for normal pc gamers ... thx

#47 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 06 2013 - 11:30 AM

As it's been stated by the devs several times, this is provisional so as we move forward it'll evolve, IMHO, in a positive way. The more I look to the cockpits of the mechs the more confident I am on that everything will be integrated into it (the cockpit/s per se) at the end. IMHO, the most important things now would be improving the radar's feedback and display to the max or as much as possible AND imrpvong the targetting/recognition/crosshair subsystems...

Anyway and for instance, we have been pretty accostumed at interacting with little displays as for example the fuel's one in LIVE. So I foresee a full integration of all these assets within the cockpit and in the near* future. I'm excited with the idea due that it'll add value and immersion factor to the game in a very positive way. :)

Edited by The_Silencer, September 06 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#48 ZeroGulit

ZeroGulit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted September 06 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hate the efin radar in new update it sucks azz it was natural in the upper right hand corner now you have to take your eyes of your cross hair to see the radar sucks big time

#49 Leaders

Leaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted September 06 2013 - 05:09 PM

I hate it to be honest. I could live with the health bar and fuel... although I dislike them but what bothers me most is the map. I just don't look in that corner at all it is counter intuitive to every game with a map I've ever played.

#50 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 06 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostLeaders, on September 06 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I hate it to be honest. I could live with the health bar and fuel... although I dislike them but what bothers me most is the map. I just don't look in that corner at all it is counter intuitive to every game with a map I've ever played.

Just as side note: Let's assume you are referring to the radar / minimap.

Posted Image

#51 Leaders

Leaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted September 06 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on September 06 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostLeaders, on September 06 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Just as side note: Let's assume you are referring to the radar / minimap.

Yes, my mistake. Force of habit.

#52 Wildkin

Wildkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAmericaland

Posted September 06 2013 - 06:35 PM

The only thing I'd like to see reverted is the health/fuel, because the giant floating bars just put me off. If some people are fine/willing to adapt with it, perhaps a compromise could be reached by allowing you to choose the kind of health/fuel display you'd like_

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious."

Posted Image

#53 det0nator

det0nator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 06:42 PM

Am i the only one who doesnt like the radar on the bottom left_ I wish i could put it back on the top right.

#54 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 09:54 PM

As I'm uploading my video photage of playing Hawken with my Steel Battalion Controller, after seeing the video for the newer layout, I almost feel disheartened in the approach. Granted, I love what I saw regarding item indicators on the side, but the whole health bar thing is a bit... unorigional. Now, in the Rift, I can see it being the bee's knees since that helps give information to the player right away, but outside of that, it pulls the atmosphere out of everything.

I can't see how hard it'd be to keep both in game UIs. Just make another class and keep all older stuff in it. Even with multi-item usage, what else was the scroll wheel for_ Regarding controllers, just set one button for cyclcing and one for using. I haven't tried the beta yet (had a hard drive crash. Thankfully, that's what my primary SSD is for), but from what I've seen, the newer 'hover health bars' just pulls from the whole 'being in the cockpit' feeling. Now if you have the rift on and that UI is used, then it'd make sense, but unless I'm wearing a rift, I'd rather not see it. That's just me.

#55 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted September 06 2013 - 11:20 PM

Adh are once again fixing things that are not broken, i hate this new ui with passion
siege one is just horrible.. everything blends in,,  tan color everywhere without any accents or contrast. simplification ftw, don't know how much my teammates collected,  don't know how much hp got battleship, can't even see what's the situation at aa without my glasses,  main menu is slow with half a second delay after clicking, icons are huge on my small screen resolution.

- lok'tar ogar -

#56 JoeSabba

JoeSabba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 12:58 AM

for me, the new HUD is great! But the radar should be larger...

#57 OddaC

OddaC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationThe wastes, waiting for the revolution...

Posted September 07 2013 - 01:41 AM

I don't particularly mind how the game statues is displayed on top of the screen. Sadly, thats about all good I have to say about the new hud. The radar is hideous; on top of it being in an utterly insane position for some arbitrary reason, allies icons are harder (for me- don't have the best eyes) to see, and the enemy indication and actual enemy locations felt completely off at times. And in general, it looks uglier.

Gunmoku, I must respectfully disagree with your comments regarding the hud; its true that the centered, detached bars do a good job of standing out and grabbing your attention. That's the thing though; they do too good a job. I found them overly large and very, very distracting, not to mention just plan odd and out of place due to said detached nature. Another thing, the ability indicator takes up an unnecessarily large amount of screen real-estate, causing it to stand out too much and make the item indicators on the right look oddly tiny in comparison. Speaking of which, I don't mind the item indicators, save for the fact that they're a bit too far right now. Well, maybe, I need to look at them again.

The text needs to be lower in position, with a larger font imo. I suspect that we have things not scaling properly for larger resolutions.

Finally, the general aesthetic... It looks... Too clean. Too much like a modern, real world vehicle. These are supposed to be worn out machines from the distant, dystopian future, but the panel layout made me think of a modern real life helicopter or fighter jet, rather than a Hawken mech. Or perhaps some generic Sci-fi nonsense. The keyboard like thing in the... light mech cockpit, iirc looked bleh in particular to me. I just don't like it.

Of course, all of this is trumped by the fact that the new effects, especially the new hit effects fatigued my eyes, and even successfully induced mild nausea in me. That is an absolute no no.

Gonna end it here before this post becomes even less coherent.

EDIT: Or not, as I completely forgot to mention the crosshairs. Or rather, I WISH I could mention anything about them, but alas, I cannot see them 80% of the time due to the mind boggling decision to color them white. We have had countless other examples to look to as to why you don't design your crosshairs as a bunch of thin, white lines. Can't freaking see them. If nothing else, please let us change the color.

Edited by OddaC, September 07 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#58 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted September 07 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostN0stalgia, on September 05 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I think the having visual bars to determine health and fuel make it more legible to determine survivability in combat.

Also, newer jet fighters (F35) have HUDs built into pilot helmets that make their old HUDs seem archaic. Everything floats in front of the field of view. The same thing is happening here.

This I agree with. However, the way they made it with all the flashing and having a short delay before you see where your health is actually at I see as a problem. I need to know exactly how close I am to dying as I'm being hit, not at a delay and not with a bunch of flashes.

Posted Image

#59 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted September 07 2013 - 02:05 AM

I just spent my first couple of hours playing various matches in all the maps. Unlike a lot of the people I'm seeing here, I never had a love or distaste for the previous HUD nor did I love or hate the new HUD from the screenshots we saw beforehand, so I'd like to think my view on this started pretty neutral. So here's my take on the UI of the HUD.

Pros:
1) Less clutter in front of me. The previous HUD bothered me in that there was just too much unnecessary information being shoved in my face while I was trying to pinpoint mechs in my cross hairs. This new one is simpler, easier to read, and doesn't distract.

2) When you use an item, the slot goes down. When it's ready, the slot pops back up. Brilliant.

3) The longer health bar allows me to see a more accurate representation of how much health I have compared to segmented bars.

Needs Improvement:
1) The reticle doesn't have enough contrast to make out in many situations, either because it's too light or transparent. Ideally it should be completely solid and have some color accents or we should be able to change the color to suit our vision.

2) With primary weapons that have very little spread, it is difficult to pinpoint the center of the cross hair due to the top and bottom brackets surrounding the center dot. We should be able to choose different types of cross hairs (think Unreal Tournament) or they should automatically change shape based on the weapons being used.

3) Hellfire lock-on was nearly indistinguishable. The only thing that really made me notice whether or not I had locked onto someone was hearing the locked-on sound effect. The visual effect needs to be more strongly visible.

4) There is not a strong enough indicator of which item you currently have selected.The border is only slightly brighter and does not have enough color contrast to be noticeable mid-combat. Several times I had to look away from what I was doing to make sure which item was queued up. The timers could also use a little boost in size or contrast so we can better anticipate when they'll be ready.

5) The flashing health bar is both distracting and doesn't give enough accurate feedback. It helps to know that you're getting hit, but the effect of showing a flashing yellow portion of what used to be your health before getting hit is not helpful. It sometimes came as a surprise to me to think I was doing fine and then suddenly that flashing buffer section of my health suddenly disappeared.

Edited by nokari, September 07 2013 - 02:06 AM.

Posted Image

#60 KoblerMan

KoblerMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAurora, IL

Posted September 08 2013 - 05:53 PM

Well, I got the community playtest... and I've managed to play a few games with the new HUD, and although anything not having to do with the health and fuel bars and the reticule is pretty cool, I am missing the old one a bit. I especially remember the reticule as being high-contrast and very interesting looking, and now that I've seen the new one, it just doesn't live up to Hawken's standards.

EDIT: One other major thing I noticed is the Bruiser's target lock. It's much more clear and better looking on the old Hawken than it is on the updated one, being reduced to four small triangles.

Edited by KoblerMan, September 08 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users