HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooter in the current meta

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 HighCaliber

HighCaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 05:37 PM

The reason they are scarce is they have to understand advanced movement and attack patterns for high tier 2300+ A class players. It helps incredibly being well-versed in those mechs, and knowing first-hand how you would move in those particular situations. You need to know when to be patient with your shots, and when you can't afford to; how to follow the mech in high-pressure, fast-paced situations. Most don't have enough experience or aren't there yet with skill to truly be a powerhouse.

With that said, my SS would like to meet you all. Then again, been having a blast destroying hotshot players in the relatively underpowered Reaper. #2muchfun

Posted Image

#62 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostCulex, on December 15 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Another thread where Nept has gone and put himself on the pedestal. Kind of to be expected. Most good SS don't have to preach it on the forums 24/7. Acting like we have something to prove, lol. High horse indeed, Rei.

meh, you know as well as I that nept > all with SS culex :).  He's kinda already proved that time and again.  Something nobody else has done to date.

#63 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostHighCaliber, on December 15 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

The reason they are scarce is they have to understand advanced movement and attack patterns for high tier 2300+ A class players. It helps incredibly being well-versed in those mechs, and knowing first-hand how you would move in those particular situations. You need to know when to be patient with your shots, and when you can't afford to; how to follow the mech in high-pressure, fast-paced situations. Most don't have enough experience or aren't there yet with skill to truly be a powerhouse.

With that said, my SS would like to meet you all. Then again, been having a blast destroying hotshot players in the relatively underpowered Reaper. #2muchfun

Beating someone in a reaper eclipses any holo taunt in terms of shaming xD

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#64 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think the sharpshooter could use a buff to general weapon damage and a nerf to power shot.  Too much of its DPS is caught up in that ability.  Incidentally, since it shares weapons with the reaper, this hurts the reaper pretty badly.  After all, if the slug rifle's damage is designed with an extremely strong power shot in mind, then mechs without power shot are obviously going to suffer.

#65 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on December 15 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

I think the sharpshooter could use a buff to general weapon damage and a nerf to power shot.  Too much of its DPS is caught up in that ability.  Incidentally, since it shares weapons with the reaper, this hurts the reaper pretty badly.  After all, if the slug rifle's damage is designed with an extremely strong power shot in mind, then mechs without power shot are obviously going to suffer.

Someone's been hoarding all the sharpened crayons! This guy gets it!

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#66 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostRedVan, on December 15 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Another thread where Nept has gone and put himself on the pedestal. Kind of to be expected. Most good SS don't have to preach it on the forums 24/7. Acting like we have something to prove, lol. High horse indeed, Rei.

meh, you know as well as I that nept > all with SS culex :).  He's kinda already proved that time and again.  Something nobody else has done to date.
How exactly has he proven this_ By stomping pubs_ Seriously though 10/10 best joke of a post i've ever seen Nept, AJK can finally retire now that you've filled in for him.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#67 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostExeon, on December 15 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

How exactly has he proven this_ By stomping pubs_ Seriously though 10/10 best joke of a post i've ever seen Nept, AJK can finally retire now that you've filled in for him.

Dunno if you noticed, but that was Redvan not Nept. If you were referring to one of Nept's posts then it was not very clear. lol

Posted Image

#68 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:55 PM

My comment was merely a small statue in the forum of a line of text in memory of what was the day of nepts ego and ignorance soaring over 9000. We'll sit in the sunset one day and make jokes about this later. Also, honestly Nept I'd stop until you've actually played in some real scrims if you seriously think the SS needs buff you obviously aren't as good as any of taw/bsb/vr's sharpshooters. I know both VR and TAW so how dominating it is to fight against a team who is using an SS when you're not. The mech is an essential part of any team it's probably one of the only essentials with the raider/tech being rebalanced/removed.

memory/commemoration to confusing

Edited by Exeon, December 15 2013 - 09:47 PM.

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#69 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm on board with this possible change! Reduce that crazy burst, but make it more consistent damage. Overall higher DPS, and less people just getting instagibbed when they show up with less than 2/3 health.

Maybe make a separate thread about this since I think people would be on board with it. It would be more visible too.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#70 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostExeon, on December 15 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

My comment was merely a small statue in the forum of a line of text in memoration of what was the day of nepts ego and ignorance soaring over 9000.
You're a terrible writer.

Edited by Nept, December 15 2013 - 09:01 PM.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#71 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostRei, on December 15 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

I'm on board with this possible change! Reduce that crazy burst, but make it more consistent damage. Overall higher DPS, and less people just getting instagibbed when they show up with less than 2/3 health.

Maybe make a separate thread about this since I think people would be on board with it. It would be more visible too.

It also has a great way of buffing the Reaper as well.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#72 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostNept, on December 15 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

My comment was merely a small statue in the forum of a line of text in memoration of what was the day of nepts ego and ignorance soaring over 9000.
You're a terrible writer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:17 PM

My comment was merely a small statue in the forum of a line of text in memoration of what was the day of nepts ego and ignorance soaring over 9000. We'll sit in the sunset one day and make jokes about this later. Also, honestly Nept I'd stop until you've actually played in some real scrims if you seriously think the SS needs buff you obviously aren't as good as any of taw/bsb/vr's sharpshooters. I know both VR and TAW so how dominating it is to fight against a team who is using an SS when you're not. The mech is an essential part of any team it's probably one of the only essentials with the raider/tech being rebalanced/removed.

In my experience, any team that can incorporate a mech like an SS or Reaper is winning of its own virtue of superior teamwork. There are a number of mechs that I would classify as "self sufficient", and others that need a handful of teamwork to be productive in any form. So simply the fact that a team incorporates one of these mechs, like the sharpshooter, already speaks for their synergy, teamplay, and general cohesiveness. The only reason I would say it is a "must" is the fact that it does not overlap with many other mechs, and does not further crowd the roles of other mechs in organized play (or even pubs); the only job it does exceptionally and which warrants its necessity in organized play IMO is its inability to get in other people's way.

My two cents.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#74 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:07 PM

Its necessary because it punishes people for bad positioning from extreme distances and does massive damage. ANY team can run it if the person playing SS is good not WTF AMAZING just good. It doesnt require amazing amounts of skill to press powershot and do 36% more damage and blow someone up at half hp. It does take skill to be able to live 1v1 / 2v1 situations and still get a kill.

This mech forces the other team to play differently depending on how good the SS is, if he is WTF amazing landing 75%+ shots hes capable of changing the enemy teams play style in a way that technicians used to where they HAD to deal with the tech, now that tech is no longer relevant the SS now fills this role.
Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#75 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostFuryMonster, on December 15 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

now that tech is no longer relevant the SS now fills this role.
the SS is the only mech left in this role*

#76 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:15 PM

How so_ Exeon's point stands.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#77 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:22 PM

Aye, just another victim of weapon sharing.

Why did they change their ability from Ballistic Barrage to Power Shot again_ I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#78 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:29 PM

This mech forces the other team to play differently depending on how good the SS is, if he is WTF amazing landing 75%+ shots hes capable of changing the enemy teams play style in a way that technicians used to where they HAD to deal with the tech, now that tech is no longer relevant the SS now fills this role.

I can understand the argument against the Tech since it was low skill to use, but hitting 75%+ of all your shots as an SS takes a lot of skill. Why should a good player be punished for learning how to use a mech effectively_

By the same logic we should punish all other mechs that become effective in their roles by hitting 75%+ of their shots because they make it too hard for the enemy team to win.

I am just going to be blunt here and say the elephant in the room. This seems like a thinly vialed attempt to "nerf" a few very specific players in the game because you can't seem to figure out how to deny LoS on the maps and work as a team. Perhaps thats not the case, but there is no reason to nerf a high skill cap mech because a highly skilled user can change how the game is played. Isn't that part of the game_

Also what maps did you test this on and what game modes_ Was this pre-ascension and who did you play with or against_ What kind of strategies and tactics did you apply to get around the SS_

Posted Image

#79 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:36 PM

Im not saying nerf this mech. I think this mech is in the best spots its ever been, I was just chiming in the the discussion/arguement that people were having about the SS

also I never said a player should be punished because hes landing his shots. I was stating how potent this mech can be WHEN a player is capable of landing his shots consistently.

Edited by FuryMonster, December 15 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#80 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:37 PM

Its necessary because it punishes people for bad positioning from extreme distances and does massive damage. ANY team can run it if the person playing SS is good not WTF AMAZING just good. It doesnt require amazing amounts of skill to press powershot and do 36% more damage and blow someone up at half hp. It does take skill to be able to live 1v1 / 2v1 situations and still get a kill.

You know what's funny, straight damage output, 75% accuracy with a sharpshooter isn't scary at all; I fear far more one of the many other mechs with higher dps potential hitting 75% accuracy...

BlackSteelBrotherhood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users