HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to make the scout...scout and useful in team play

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostOnebullit, on December 20 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRedVan, on December 20 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

As for videos and streams with me in them:  I guarantee that they are so few, and the hours I put into the game make the minutes of video with me in them so insignificant, that basing that as some sort of "evidence" is just bad.

Well hmmm, that's my point.
That's why i asked you, "Why not a Berserker_" :)

Because I can't go back and change what I felt like playing that day_  Your "evidence" is inconsequential.

View PostHugeGuts, on December 20 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

The real culprit for the Scout's unbalanced power, and high damage A types in general, is dodging combined with the turn rate cap. High level A type pilots know the distance their walking and dodging becomes faster than the enemy's turn rate cap and play to exploit this advantage for almost always guaranteed wins. No other type can do this and it needs to change.

A.  You're assuming scout is OP

B.  You're assuming there is no way to counter scouts within the realms of given game mechanics.

You could simply learn from those better than you and then not have any problems with the scout in the future... Or you could just keep making excuses.

Edited by RedVan, December 20 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#22 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 06:41 PM

Actually I play Scout and Infiltrator the most. The Scout's and Infiltrator's damage kills the opponent looooong before fuel runs out and they lose the dodge advantage. I have yet to see anything except another A type keep up with A type dodge advantage due to the turn rate cap and other speed limitations. Something is broken.

Scout and Infiltrator are super easy once you realize the inherent limitations of the "skill" portion of the game and then use their abilities to break that limit. Good luck breaking that limit as hard as they do with any other class!

Edited by HugeGuts, December 20 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#23 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted December 20 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostRedVan, on December 20 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostOnebullit, on December 20 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostRedVan, on December 20 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

As for videos and streams with me in them:  I guarantee that they are so few, and the hours I put into the game make the minutes of video with me in them so insignificant, that basing that as some sort of "evidence" is just bad.

Well hmmm, that's my point.
That's why i asked you, "Why not a Berserker_" :)

Because I can't go back and change what I felt like playing that day_  Your "evidence" is inconsequential.

Now i'm starting to think your english is worse then mine.
Maybe you need a drawing, because i don't think you get it.

Me 5 - 6 times, see you on videos streams, and you in that videos always Scout.
You claim you play all mechs but videos show otherwise.  Videos say 100% Scout.
Also, me saw you duel once, against Deadmen_Tim, guess what mech you use :)
(And sadly for you, point and click adventure not work that time)
Maybe time for science test now!
How much, you, total xp, and how much is from Scout.
(You have smurf_ also add)

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#24 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 09:58 PM

You're drawing a conclusion that I use scout more than other mechs based on a couple videos. I don't even need to argue against it to show how wrong that is. This isn't an English issue.

As for vs deadman:  we used scout because we both agreed to use it. And he won because I hadn't been playing scout for quite a while prior to playing him 1v1. So that example itself disproves your point.

Edited by RedVan, December 20 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#25 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted December 21 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ok ok, i get it, you always have an answer for everything :)

You're drawing a conclusion that I use scout more than other mechs based on a couple videos

Maybe, but the most important is, am i right _

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

#26 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 21 2013 - 03:39 AM

Only thing that needs addressing is the flak on the scout, which offers high burst and high dps in one gun, WITHOUT killing off the brawler.

Personally I think brawler should have a weapon with the same stats as the flak and the scout should have a flak with a lower rof or lower damage than the current flak.

I'd say cut the flak's rof and give the brawler a heavy flak with the same stats as the present flak.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#27 SpaceChicken

SpaceChicken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 05:04 AM

Thread derailed. Anyways. You do not see to many scouts in higher levels of play. If you land tow or two the scout has to bug out of that engagement. Givin it's speed, dodge cd, and fuel reserves the scout can and does dance around players of mid to low skill. This is their problem not the scouts. Learn timing and land your shots has been said before and will be said again. That being said the scout does need a bit of a nerf. Lowering speed and health was not the right move in the last patch. What needs to change is the play based around the scouts ability. As a scout I can run in dance all around till my fuel is out,and then keep dancing and jumping over you by popping fuel reserves and still have plenty left to get away before your teammates get to you. The way to fix the scout is to increase the fuel used by dodging. Fuel reserves needs to be used either to keep up evasion in an engagement or to boost right the hell away from it.

#28 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostSpaceChicken, on December 21 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

Thread derailed. Anyways. You do not see to many scouts in higher levels of play. If you land tow or two the scout has to bug out of that engagement. Givin it's speed, dodge cd, and fuel reserves the scout can and does dance around players of mid to low skill. This is their problem not the scouts. Learn timing and land your shots has been said before and will be said again. That being said the scout does need a bit of a nerf. Lowering speed and health was not the right move in the last patch. What needs to change is the play based around the scouts ability. As a scout I can run in dance all around till my fuel is out,and then keep dancing and jumping over you by popping fuel reserves and still have plenty left to get away before your teammates get to you. The way to fix the scout is to increase the fuel used by dodging. Fuel reserves needs to be used either to keep up evasion in an engagement or to boost right the hell away from it.

You're wrong.  I see 2-3 scouts on a team at level 26-30 play all the time.  Sometimes 4 or so.  Scouts are the most commonly used mech because their burst damage is somewhere between ludicrous and insane.  They have quite figuratively 'gone to plaid'.  I don't mind its ability to dodge or get out of harms way quickly.  The problem is that it is combined with heavy firepower and a stupidly low dodge cooldown.  Deflectors+failsafe = can't touch this hammertime!

The scout can be dealt with by a third party not engaged with it...say up on a perch.  Yeah you can snipe it out while it tries to kill someone or a grenadier can drop a bomb on it whatever, but in terms of balance it is way out of whack.  But I know you just don't want your pwn-mobile taken away.

#29 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostOnebullit, on December 21 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

You're drawing a conclusion that I use scout more than other mechs based on a couple videos

I've already said you're not right...

But don't take my word for it... you're in BSB, you can ask basically anyone in there and they'll agree with me

Edited by RedVan, December 21 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#30 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostRedVan, on December 21 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

But don't take my word for it... you're in BSB, you can ask basically anyone in there and they'll agree with me

Lol, nah, i'm not that much interested in that information, why would i care_
I don't even know you.

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

#31 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostOnebullit, on December 21 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

I don't even know you.

So, you're not interested in the info, yet you wish to try to tell me that I'm wrong in knowing how much I use scout....

Well, it's your time to waste I guess.

#32 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 04:28 PM

Doesn't Tech has your target painter for primary_

As for the rest suggested weapons, well, Mini-Flak beats all of the above. And should Flak be taken away from Scout, he'll lose his bite.

As much as I don't like Scout or the fact that it carries the same firepower as Brawler while being much more mobile, I believe it needs to have some powerful burst weapon. It could've been slightly weaker one, though, like Flak Cannon Lite.
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#33 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 05:00 PM

Rid the scout of it's flak and you basically killed the mech. Dumb idea. It has always been and will continue to be a high-risk high-burst type mech

#34 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 04:41 AM

the current Scout is a direct reflection of ADH attempting to balance it with the Flak, not the Mini-flak or the HEAT
if the Flak is nerfed the Scout isn't killed at all, that's meaningless hyperbole, what happens is the Brawler stops being a Brawler
...and then what happens is everyone starts playing Infiltrators instead
(which are by far the best mech in the game and largely the reason most teams are 49.8% Infiltrators in higher level games)
(and yes, that is boring as hell)

Edited by Muffintrumpet, December 23 2013 - 04:53 AM.

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#35 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted December 23 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostRedVan, on December 22 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I don't even know you.

So, you're not interested in the info, yet you wish to try to tell me that I'm wrong in knowing how much I use scout....

Yeah, alot of blah blah from your side, and we all know when people start doing that.
As i told you before, not interested in that info but since you can't let it go, i already asked you
for something but you refused it without even commenting on it.  Why would i ask something about you
to anybody_

Just tall me how much total xp you have and how much belongs to the Scout and if you have
a Smurf account, add those values too and nobody has to ask anybody anything.

Your attitude about this already tells me enough.  If i was wrong, you already had posted your total xp
and the rest i have asked you but instead, you just try to prove me wrong without any evidence.

Edited by Onebullit, December 23 2013 - 08:23 AM.

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

#36 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostOnebullit, on December 23 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

View PostRedVan, on December 22 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I don't even know you.

Yeah, alot of blah blah from your side, and we all know when people start doing that.
As i told you before, not interested in that info but since you can't let it go, i already asked you
for something but you refused it without even commenting on it.  Why would i ask something about you
to anybody_

Sorry, I missed that part.  Here it is:

664,721 XP in Scout
4574857 total XP

Soooo... 14% of my XP is from scout...

One might consider that alot.  I do not.  But if one did, they can keep in mind that I do a significant amount of 1v1 duels with clan members in scout, thus skewing the numbers.  When it comes to actual playing, I've just proven myself correct.

Now, a learning experience for you:  If someone sees a couple videos with someone using one type of mech, think about how many minutes of video that is, and compare it to even a rough guess of how many total minutes that player has spend playing the game.  For example, lets say there is half hour of footage with me in scout, and you know I've been around since Alpha, one can safely conclude that half hour is incredibly insignificant.

Just a little lesson in statistics, and in your case, how not to use them.

Edited by RedVan, December 23 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#37 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:02 AM

Why does the scout change to fit its role better have to be so complicated_ The heat generation (heat sink) and the cool down time from over heating (cooling unit) could both be increased so it can only engage for a even short time frame on top of its low health. That would make it fit the roll or "scout" with its radar and hydraulics tuning. Find the enemy mark them, and get out fast or wait for back up. If you decrease the amount of time it can defend itself then it doesn't matter how fast it is if it can't attack. And on the flip side more advance players can handle the change because they know how to manage heat, so a change like this wont matter in high level play that much, as most high level players use a verity of mechs anyway.

#38 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostRedVan, on December 23 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I've just proven myself correct.
You're a great person!

Now, a learning experience for you
:D Not really, but it was amusing enough.

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

#39 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostOnebullit, on December 23 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

View PostRedVan, on December 23 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I've just proven myself correct.
You're a great person!

Awww shucks, you didn't have to :blush:

#40 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostIareDave, on December 22 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Rid the scout of it's flak and you basically killed the mech. Dumb idea. It has always been and will continue to be a high-risk high-burst type mech
High risk_ 570 hp and its special ability restores fuel and increases speed which means its ability is a get out of jail free card. I LOL at this post.

View PostShadowWarg, on December 23 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Why does the scout change to fit its role better have to be so complicated_ The heat generation (heat sink) and the cool down time from over heating (cooling unit) could both be increased so it can only engage for a even short time frame on top of its low health. That would make it fit the roll or "scout" with its radar and hydraulics tuning. Find the enemy mark them, and get out fast or wait for back up. If you decrease the amount of time it can defend itself then it doesn't matter how fast it is if it can't attack. And on the flip side more advance players can handle the change because they know how to manage heat, so a change like this wont matter in high level play that much, as most high level players use a verity of mechs anyway.
A scout is supposed to just see what the enemy is doing /gather intel... so a more appropriate weapon loadout for the scout would be a target marker which increases damage and a sabot. Also i really think they should change name from scout to commando.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users