HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Lend mechs to friends for party/match duration

Beta Community

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 16 2014 - 12:41 AM

Tonight, I was playing with a friend of mine who is new to the game and a thought occurred to me:
What if I could temporarily give him access to one of my (fully-tuned, kitted) mechs for the duration we were partied (and if disconnected from chat, until the end of the current match)_

It would give him a nice sneak peak at how other mechs play and give him incentive to play and spend more. It would also afford him stat-parity to play on servers more suitable for a higher rank pilot like me.

Assuming I were locked-out from using that specific mech while he used it, I can't see any problems that would arise from such an arrangement. He would still earn HC, XP, and service awards only for himself, and the stats from his play should be recorded to that mech type in his profile. He would not be able to customize the mech at all aside from changing weapons from the available, unlocked options I would already have if I were to use it.
Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#2 Qibing

Qibing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 02:47 AM

That is a really interesting idea. I support it.

#3 heartofdarkness

heartofdarkness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWeyland Yutani research offices

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:06 AM

Seems like a cool way to get noobs to befriend vets etc & thus become more involved in the community ^_^
Posted Image

#4 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 17 2014 - 07:34 AM

A reasonable restriction would be limiting it to one, maybe two mechs at a time. You probably wouldn't want a single person supplying all the mechs for a party of 6. It would also be reasonable for no mech-specific XP to be earned while it is in use by another player.

If lending were implemented, it would also give more incentive for players to buy and kit multiples of each kind of mech, perhaps using universal XP/MC and giving the devs that much more income. I would totally make a fantastically outfitted Raider, only to make it look like a Fred w/ pink heart boxer shorts for a friend to use.

Edited by Cannonaire, January 17 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#5 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:39 PM

I love this idea, I devs please implement this!!!!!
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#6 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:57 PM

I like this idea, though it could potentially poke its head into their economic system. For example, you may loan a mech to a friend who decides not to buy the mech after trying it. As a counter-argument, he may also just decide to buy another mech instead, and come back to that mech later, if and when he decides he wants to give it a shot.

I think it should be limited, like how extra lives are earned in some games. Every 50,000XP or so you earn 1 'loan token,' or perhaps you could purchase such 'loan tokens' with HC or MC, and they would last for the duration of 1 match for 1 mech and for only 1 player. You could also limit it so that once a player has test-driven that mech from your stable, they can't use it again. They could use other mechs of the same type, as long as it's not the exact same mech.

Just throwing ideas out there. I do support this idea. From the sound of it, mech test drives are coming back anyway, so I don't think this would detract much, if at all, from their earning potential. :)

#7 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 17 2014 - 10:52 PM

Interesting idea. It could work if implemented right, but probably won't be neccesary with the improved test drive that wil be implemented soon. From what has been said, it looks like test mechs might come with internals and items (I assume this because on the cockpit Vanashinkaku said, among other things, you won't be able to customize test drive mechs). Also, soon there will be no more tuning or ability upgrades.

#8 Apposl

Apposl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted January 18 2014 - 03:53 AM

I have a friend who lives next door and we have both sighed over this very thing. It would be a VERY cool feature.

#9 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 18 2014 - 11:16 AM

I would love to be able to lend one of my tricked-out, painted and customized mechs to a friend for a match or two. I think the developers could come up with reasonable restrictions; it would just be very satisfying to see a friend using the paint job I made.

If this idea were implemented, I would work on getting a second of every mech, with decent internals and different paint.

Edited by Cannonaire, January 18 2014 - 11:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users