HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tips on Incinerator_

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 04 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on March 04 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 03 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Remember that Incinerator is a support mech, it's not supposed to go all Rambo and massacre the entire team by itself.  You keep the enemies' heads down and kill the unfortunate mech who gets too close to you with the butt slam ability.

I know that, but man is it tough to get any points with this thing. Seems Hawken deters players from using support mechs due to accruing less xp payouts.

What kind of points do you mean_  Kill points or assist points_  More often than not, you will get more assists than kills with Incinerator.

#62 AlternEgo

AlternEgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted March 07 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 04 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Remember that Incinerator is a support mech, it's not supposed to go all Rambo and massacre the entire team by itself.  You keep the enemies' heads down and kill the unfortunate mech who gets too close to you with the butt slam ability.

I know that, but man is it tough to get any points with this thing. Seems Hawken deters players from using support mechs due to accruing less xp payouts.

What kind of points do you mean_  Kill points or assist points_  More often than not, you will get more assists than kills with Incinerator.

I must be doing it wrong then, I seem to get more kill points than assist points with it.
I am terribad at this whole dodging thing.

#63 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostAlternEgo, on March 07 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 04 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I must be doing it wrong then, I seem to get more kill points than assist points with it.

Lol, then I guess you must be pretty awesome with it. XD  Great job!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 08 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#64 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 11:22 AM

Tip:  Find door+spam=win!

#65 Yorgoss

Yorgoss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 07:14 PM

Finally having success with Papa Bear. Tips on using it:

1.) Keep it revved while enemies are hiding.

2.) You should dump the heat after 8 Papa shots. (Enough heat for two Big Fireballs.)

3.) One Big Fireball dumps enough heat for 4 more Papa shots.

4.) Once you fire off 8 Papas, juggle between Big Fireball and Quadruple Papa  -or-  2x Big Fireball and Papa 8-Pacs. The Papa shoots so fast that the juggling can get pretty intense, but be careful never to hold down the Papa because BOOM one slip and you're TOO HOT TO FIGHT AND VERY SAD. D;

5.) Avoid fighting A-class mechs.

Edited by Yorgoss, March 09 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#66 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostYorgoss, on March 09 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Finally having success with Papa Bear. Tips on using it:

1.) Keep it revved while enemies are hiding.

2.) You should dump the heat after 8 Papa shots. (Enough heat for two Big Fireballs.)

3.) One Big Fireball dumps enough heat for 4 more Papa shots.

4.) Once you fire off 8 Papas, juggle between Big Fireball and Quadruple Papa  -or-  2x Big Fireball and Papa 8-Pacs. The Papa shoots so fast that the juggling can get pretty intense, but be careful never to hold down the Papa because BOOM one slip and you're TOO HOT TO FIGHT AND VERY SAD. D;

5.) Avoid fighting A-class mechs.

I bought Ppa and I'm not doing very well with it.  I'll try to keep this handy...

#67 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 05:11 PM

I recently acquired this mech and I have to say, once you get used to it it's AWESOME.

Some interesting things I have found while playing this mech:

Your primary is your secondary, your secondary is your primary. The "primary" miniguns are for generating heat for your SAARE. It has such a quick fire rate compared to other secondaries that it's ridiculous.

Hover in combat, as much as possible. I know this sounds kinda silly for a class C, but because of splash damage on your secondary (read: your main damage) this is paramount. ESPECIALLY if your idiot opponents don't try to hover with you.

Because of these two things, I recommend fuel converter, deflectors, and armor fusor for this guy.

More tips: the SAARE has a fairly flat trajectory, and moves slightly faster than the grenade launcher. It is actually fairly easy to directly hit with it if your opponent is not dodging.

I prefer using the alternate fire for the SAARE (the big one that takes more heat) since, even if you miss, you have a higher chance of doing damage. If using BBY, the heat gen item (which DOES affect you) can help you spam the living hell out of those big shots. Recommended if fighting multiple opponents in close quarters where you can get the benefit and make the enemies overheat/retreat at the same time!

The ability is the only thing that I really do not like about this mech, but it does have its uses, such as previously mention last-ditch F***-YOU bomb just before you die, or a really skitter y class-A humping your face/butt and dodging all over the place.

The best place for this mech is on the front lines, being a damage soak (like all class-Cs) and dealing out silly high damage of the AOE variety. Works best with a tech, and even helps the tech do his job better since it makes it so he can repair for longer.

Hope this helps some of the brand-new players with this glorious fireball of a mech!

Edited by ninjab3ta, March 18 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#68 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 18 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'm getting close to buying the Incenerator now, and I'm really excited. But I'm also a bit skeptical... I've only ever seen people refer to it in a comical fashion, and quite often, such as switching to it when losing, saying their score was bad because of it, even had people on two occasions on my team apologizing before the match for wanting to level it up or use it for fun, implying they would drag us down.

Reading comments here, though, I feel more reassured that it's just a large vocal group that couldn't get used to it effectively... Well, do you guys think it's worth the HC_

I kinda like to see Incy as a burning soul kind of mech. I can just imagine him charging up some heat like shonen power and throwing out explosive fireballs, and gaining power (heat) with the power of the bonds of nearby friends. Then there's the ability that's a pretty good way of showing your willpower with a heroic eruption around you.

... Well, scratch my question, I'm getting it ASAP. Can't really be any worse than Bruiser who I've been maining.
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#69 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostClaxus, on March 18 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I'm getting close to buying the Incenerator now, and I'm really excited. But I'm also a bit skeptical... I've only ever seen people refer to it in a comical fashion, and quite often, such as switching to it when losing, saying their score was bad because of it, even had people on two occasions on my team apologizing before the match for wanting to level it up or use it for fun, implying they would drag us down.

Reading comments here, though, I feel more reassured that it's just a large vocal group that couldn't get used to it effectively... Well, do you guys think it's worth the HC_

I kinda like to see Incy as a burning soul kind of mech. I can just imagine him charging up some heat like shonen power and throwing out explosive fireballs, and gaining power (heat) with the power of the bonds of nearby friends. Then there's the ability that's a pretty good way of showing your willpower with a heroic eruption around you.

... Well, scratch my question, I'm getting it ASAP. Can't really be any worse than Bruiser who I've been maining.

I like the way you described it, makes a lot of sense and really does explain how this mech fits into the team.

Anyone who apologizes for using this mech either doesn't know how its passive heat transfer works or literally just got it and needs to learn how to play it.

#70 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just got it and suck with it.  I know I need to spend more time in it, but I just suck so badly I switch out to my good mechs.

But whenever I play against one, I always find it so painful because the secondary takes out chunks and it just keeps coming.

#71 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 20 2014 - 10:44 PM

Got Incy at last. Already love it more than my Vanguard... It's just as fast and never stops firing! It's weird just wasting shots to generate heat constantly, but really cool how you can fire an endless stream of fireballs. However, the alt mode seems rather pointless... Same damage and the AoE difference isn't very noticeable. At least, it feels easier to score direct hits with those enhanced shining fireballs.

Played some Siege and whoa, managing heat of everyone around you is crazy, but you get used to it. Just a shame it helps enemies, too, because shining fireball spam up close is scary.

I feel he's a solid defensive-aggressive mech. He can hold his own in a fight, but excels with a team. Sometimes I jump up and rain down fireballs, if they don't fly up with me, they're in for splash damage heaven.

And lastly, the skill has proven slightly more useful than expected. Mainly in Siege (where I spend most of my time). Sometimes you can catch a distracted guy and kablam, and in areas with walls you can really catch some people with it, especially walled off EU dispensers. When engaging in a cover-duel, people rarely expect you to rush through the corner with a smash of its ability. Sometimes you can just wait behind a wall near a choke point and side boost out at someone unsuspecting as they run into your burning fury.

Really fun and capable mech, and quite fast for what it is, and its huge armor. Gonna have to play some more with it to get better but it's great, I just feel the BBY is rather weak, but Bruiser's vulcan may have spoiled me.
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#72 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 12:35 PM

I got to play the incinerator more, got it to rank 4, halfway to 5.

PPA is bloody amazing! Unless you mess up and don't kill with your ability, in which case welcome to death, enjoy your stay.

Another thing I learned is NEVER STOP SHOOTING EVER. Suppress the living hell out of the enemy with a literal constant stream of fireballs.

@Claxus: the alt mode is for when you get the other two guns, PPA and M4MA. It is literally required so you don't overheat.

#73 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:40 AM

Might be late, but charged SAARE shots deal 80 damage,regular shots do 60.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#74 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted March 30 2014 - 08:53 PM

At first I had some trouble with the Incinerator, mostly because the Baby Bear didn't do enough damage for my liking. However, once I bought the Papa Bear, the damage output went up a ton... and so did the heat generation. Papa Bear makes so much heat that it's overwhelming at first, but once you learn how to pulse shoot with it and constantly blast the larger fireballs, it becomes a deadly force in close quarters.

The ability, I find, is useful for finishing off annoying A classes that are zipping around you and you just can't shoot them. Also good for surprising enemies that come around corners.

I have nothing to say about the Mama Bear yet; Haven't unlocked it. But I can say that each gun really does change playstyle substantially.

#75 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 09:53 PM

I've been playing around with the Incinerator for a bit and I've got it up to R5. My comments:
  • Baby is great for those who like to have a sustained damage output, it will generate enough heat for you to lob a few regular fireballs and the occasional large fireball. Generally you won't be outputting high DPS and you'll shine a lot more when you're around teammates who'll up your heat generation so you can use the SAARE more. TL;DR using the BBY will mean you are strictly a support mech as you will usually be outgunned in a 1v1.
  • Papa takes a bit of getting used to as you need to learn the "beat" of the gun or face overheating. When I first started using the PPA I had click marco going on the secondary weapon button to constantly spam SAAREs until I got a full feel of the heat generation of the PPA. Assuming you spray the PPA and the SAARE as quick as you can you can keep firing for about 2-3ish seconds before dumping 2 SAARE shots to roughly reset your heat bar and continue shooting with the PPA. Nowadays I fire my PPA strictly in bursts of roughly 4 shots before letting off a SAARE which is roughly the pace I learned with my click marco which works quite well as I do a burst of sustained damage followed by a heavy hitting SAARE shot. Note the PPA doesn't shoot instantly and it has a spinup time of roughly 3 seconds but the spin up does have "memory" and it takes time for the gun to wind down. I've found it's takes roughly 4-5 seconds for the PPA to completely stop spinning at fill speed. With this in mind you can keep your PPA relatively spun up if you spin it for half a second after every 3-4 seconds of boosting. This will reduce your spin up time to less then a second if you manage the spin well enough.
  • M4MA: Don't have the M4MA yet and I don't think I'll get it as I like the damage output I can get with the PPA. It's nice to have a relatively sustainable hitscan weapon so your kills don't get nabbed.

#76 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 09:55 AM

I've finally gotten M4MA, and... Still getting used to it. It makes the Incinerator better for the objective game modes, especially when assaulting a point, but it's less viable (as a solo player) on TDM simply because it changes you from maximum DPS kill-bot to area denial king.

The M4MA pushes the Incinerator back into its support role, with the new ability to cause more distant targets to overheat faster at the cost of no longer having a hit-scan weapon and lower DPS. It's funny watching an enemy assault or CR-T just stop shooting because they overheated much faster than they anticipated and didn't pop coolant. It also gives your ability back, in that not killing with your F-bomb (pun intended) doesn't mean suicide like it does with PPA.

#77 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:01 AM

To be honest Incinerator's ability is a little too short ranged for my tastes (the nerf on damage falloff doesn't help much either). I'm also not a fan of it's animation length either it's long enough for you to lose most of your spin on your gun leaving you exposed for a stupidly long time. Well assuming you use the PPA that is, the BBY can shoot, albeit not as fast but you aren't completely exposed after and I have no idea how quick the M4MA spins up but I hear it can't shoot instantly without spinning up a bit.

#78 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:22 AM

View Postjrkong, on March 31 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

To be honest Incinerator's ability is a little too short ranged for my tastes (the nerf on damage falloff doesn't help much either). I'm also not a fan of it's animation length either it's long enough for you to lose most of your spin on your gun leaving you exposed for a stupidly long time. Well assuming you use the PPA that is, the BBY can shoot, albeit not as fast but you aren't completely exposed after and I have no idea how quick the M4MA spins up but I hear it can't shoot instantly without spinning up a bit.

The ability does feel a bit underwhelming, but there is a reason why they nerfed the damage falloff. Class-As were tired of getting to half and then just dying  :lol:

M4MA shoots almost instantly, but fires VERY slow at first, and then only fires at about half PPA speed when fully reved,

#79 Elliro02

Elliro02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 03:37 AM

I named my Incinerator: TasteMyBurningPizzas

#80 LiftTruck

LiftTruck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted April 09 2014 - 01:31 PM

Fire mission, baby!  MAD suppression, allowing your squad to manuver.  This is the BEAUTY of the Incinerator!                                            
I rock an Incinerator. It's MY Mech. The only Mech I shall Perfect-Piloting. Holding down YOUR position in a squad, IS TO EXPERIENCE Hawken!

**LiftTruck**

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users