HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Siege mode is BROKEN

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 droidhunter

droidhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostSlayzz, on February 28 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

At first, player who left a battle should become a punishment. A map-blocking for a short time would be too hard, i think a minus of the mech-stats would be an option, -10%dmg/hp or something.
Posted Image
i always disconnect after playing Hawken for 5-15 mins bcus the "Ran out of vitual memory" -_-

#42 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 03 2014 - 02:14 PM

I see a lot of people talking about this issue, but very few actually doing something about it. I know we can't change aspects of the game, but as for there not being enough Siege tutorials, that's something we can easily fix. Let's stop whining about bad and ignorant teammates, and just do something about it. I know I'm probably going to release a siege guide myself in the near future (Siege is one of my favorite game modes and I can say I know how to properly play it, so don't worry) since I'm able to record gameplay. Let's not just talk about it, let's do something.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#43 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on May 03 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I see a lot of people talking about this issue, but very few actually doing something about it. I know we can't change aspects of the game, but as for there not being enough Siege tutorials, that's something we can easily fix. Let's stop whining about bad and ignorant teammates, and just do something about it. I know I'm probably going to release a siege guide myself in the near future (Siege is one of my favorite game modes and I can say I know how to properly play it, so don't worry) since I'm able to record gameplay. Let's not just talk about it, let's do something.

would that actually help_ I wonder if the majority of players even come by the forums. I'd check out your tutorial but I'm not the intended audience, I went to the wiki before loading up my first seige game so I wouldn't be completely lost. There needs to be something actually in the game. Ever play assault mode in unreal tournament 2003/4/idk_ they had a quick camera fly by of the objectives with a voiceover before you started, very clear and kinda cool.

#44 SciFox

SciFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:17 AM

View Postdroidhunter, on May 03 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

View PostSlayzz, on February 28 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

At first, player who left a battle should become a punishment. A map-blocking for a short time would be too hard, i think a minus of the mech-stats would be an option, -10%dmg/hp or something.
Posted Image
i always disconnect after playing Hawken for 5-15 mins bcus the "Ran out of vitual memory" -_-

Have you checked forums for a fix_ This used to happen to me all the time. Made me want to throw the stupid thing out the window.
Took a line or 2 of some code in a prompt. Something about the page limit on ram. FYI: windows 7 on an AMD chip.

#45 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted May 18 2014 - 03:45 PM

They can only make the team-building software so sophisticated, there are only oh-so-many stats, tags, filters and screens that they can apply before even the DEVS can't figure out what half the stuff means (easily remedied by superb documentation, but that is extremely time consuming). The devs are also trying to allow all players the ability to play on demand, so naturally some games are going to be stupid crowded and unbalanced, but it doesn't help that people ignore the "switch teams" suggestion that pops up when teams get unbalanced. I know I have, and sometimes I've been so busy having my ass kicked that I don't even see it.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#46 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 01:51 PM

I only ever volunteer if other team winning lol

Edited by camtheking20, June 03 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#47 GenAce

GenAce

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLocating...... Target Loss

Posted June 04 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have been playing Siege mode since the game first rolled out. I purchased the founders pack and during this time I  have never once felt that the mode it self is broken. There are so many strats that a team can use. For example: being the first to deliver EUs, to deny the other team of EUs, to focuse fire on the BS is a viable option if the enemy team is to well organized to break their hold on the AA. The fact is it all depends on the players and their willingness to LEARN and COOPERATE. In stead of smacking new players and vets with penalties, give them incentives.

Give bonuse XP and credits for having various mechs on the battlefield, don't punish people for fielding the same mech (an issue I see way to often). Give incentives for being in the AA.. example: for every second you are in the AA increases your point total by half a value. And don't start complaing about snipers. There are ways around to defeat them - get a brawler and get in the snipers face. Get a scout mech and use it's agility. The devs have a very balanced system and there hasn't been a single mech I couldn't take out nor been taken out - it's about the players skill.

My biggest complaint is the lackluster feeling of being at war... expand the maps if possible and add more open terrain... heck (side thought) combine Missile Assault with Seige - Look at BF2142s battleship system as an example.

Point being - instead of punishing people for being new and attempting to nerf bat particular mechs - play harder and get better.

#48 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 10:46 AM

The only problem I see is that most people don't know how to play this game mode. Whenever I enter a siege game that has a high MMR average, the games are relatively balanced. On the contrary, whenever I enter a much lower MMR siege game, things tend to be very imbalanced. That speaks to the fact that it's generally new players that have trouble playing siege, mainly because they don't have much experience with the game mode. The game mode itself is pretty solid, but the majority of players are just simply ignorant (ignorant does not mean stupid, it just means they just don't know better) about how to play it strategically and win.

And I totally forgot that I had posted on this thread before and ended up repeating myself.... Yay.....

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, June 05 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#49 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostMythril_Golem, on May 03 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on May 03 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

would that actually help_ I wonder if the majority of players even come by the forums. I'd check out your tutorial but I'm not the intended audience, I went to the wiki before loading up my first seige game so I wouldn't be completely lost. There needs to be something actually in the game. Ever play assault mode in unreal tournament 2003/4/idk_ they had a quick camera fly by of the objectives with a voiceover before you started, very clear and kinda cool.
I think that if the Developers put some kind of siege tutorial in the VR training, it would help players get aquainted with the game mode. It would make it more likely that they will see it if the tutorial is in the actual game. I mean yeah, we can do all we can by posting guides and whatnot, but those are no good if people aren't looking at them. We just need to figure out a way to get the information to the players that's easily accessable and more likely to be accessed. Hell, even if there was a simple message in the game when a player first plays siege to go look at the Hawken Forums or the Steam guides for tutorials on Siege would go miles to help people get educated on the game mode.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, June 05 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#50 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostGenAce, on June 04 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I have been playing Siege mode since the game first rolled out. I purchased the founders pack and during this time I  have never once felt that the mode it self is broken. There are so many strats that a team can use. For example: being the first to deliver EUs, to deny the other team of EUs, to focuse fire on the BS is a viable option if the enemy team is to well organized to break their hold on the AA. The fact is it all depends on the players and their willingness to LEARN and COOPERATE. In stead of smacking new players and vets with penalties, give them incentives.

Give bonuse XP and credits for having various mechs on the battlefield, don't punish people for fielding the same mech (an issue I see way to often). Give incentives for being in the AA.. example: for every second you are in the AA increases your point total by half a value. And don't start complaing about snipers. There are ways around to defeat them - get a brawler and get in the snipers face. Get a scout mech and use it's agility. The devs have a very balanced system and there hasn't been a single mech I couldn't take out nor been taken out - it's about the players skill.

My biggest complaint is the lackluster feeling of being at war... expand the maps if possible and add more open terrain... heck (side thought) combine Missile Assault with Seige - Look at BF2142s battleship system as an example.

Point being - instead of punishing people for being new and attempting to nerf bat particular mechs - play harder and get better.
Finally, another pilot who understands the art of war.

#51 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 02:27 PM

I like sedge to when i play as it lasts a lot longer

#52 Kagekitsu

Kagekitsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:05 AM

I just LOVE it when a team member launches our ship when there are 5 enemies on the AA and most of our team is dead or dying trying to take it back. -_- for fawk sake really, waste eu launching a ship that DIES in thirty seconds that cost hundreds of EU and fighting to get it back to base.

The only time there is an exception to that is if we are losing so badly that we need that last little bit of time to take the AA back, knock out their ship, and fire ours to do some damage or make a comeback.

Snipers.... I'm kinda iffy on this because I do play a sharpshooter on CERTAIN maps, not all of them. But then again I don't sit in one spot and fire at the random person on their back field. I think there should only be one sniper on the team to help weaken or pick off the enemy and move around the map, find spots to take out enemies as well as if our ship or their ship is weak enough that it will die within the next short seconds. Move out and get some EU to speed launch our ship, or prevent the enemy from getting it and launching theirs. A good sniper does this and works with his team. A good sniper will also push on the aa to get that 1 extra team member number to control the aa, then he will back off when the team is there and able to kill or force the enemy off it.

Bad snipers... or all snipers on the wall, you might as well just gather up some EU, walk over to the enemy team's base, turn around, bend over and advertise that your team are retards and you know you're gonna take it up the exhaust hard.

Good teams have strategy, if both teams have a sound strategy and CAN WORK AS A TEAM you will find the games to be a hell of alot closer. Had several yesterday that lasted an hour to an hour and a half long of pushing, falling back, and fighting just to get EU to launch, then fighting on the aa while no anti air was fired due to even numbers. The final score was so close that it could have gone either way and both teams actually stayed together to do it again. Those are the fun games where everyone's score was above a thousand and GG's were passed around, compliments about how we died to good shots or tactics.

Sadly out of the hundreds of Seige games I have had, its extremely rare to get those two to three good games.

I hate being on losing teams of 2700+ to 0 just as much as being on the winning side of 2700+ to 0.

#53 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostKagekitsu, on June 06 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

I just LOVE it when a team member launches our ship when there are 5 enemies on the AA and most of our team is dead or dying trying to take it back. -_- for fawk sake really, waste eu launching a ship that DIES
I dun this today so we had aa all most took bak an someon winged so i told him " well we better take the aa then " :P

#54 Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:56 AM

I don't think that punishments for leaving the game are good (apart from not getting hc/exp), but I think a (mandatory_) official tutorial would help so much. Also more voice sound effects.

#55 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostLightangel112, on February 28 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I get what you mean bro... I get this all the time...

Just last night I joined a game where the enemey had 63 points left, and my team managed to lose the game and we only did a further 8 points of damage to the base I was like WTF.... useless team mates sometimes.

Oh lightangel,

i think that was the game i was in, when i was new to this game and played the Sharpshooter a lot. I remember to this day of that game with 63HP left on enemy side and we lost that game. Dont know anymore, what was going on, too long ago, but somehow that left a scar haha.

But in February and March Siege was a lot better then today because of bigger playerbase :)

OK, now on topic

Old thread, but i can understand that problem and we got a actual good guide for games overall, but a light book with simple words in short text would be extremly good for beginner or even a little bit skilled player.

For example

- dont start our ship, if the enemy is on the way to launch and we still dont know how strong they are, so we could loose the fight at the aa and our first ship, a clean win 3000/0 isn't important, the important thing is to win overall in a safe way
- if i play technician, i dont care for EU transfer, i stay by my teammates on eu stations, so they dont get killed, or i can bring they home safe with heal/shield/support or beein the shiled for a tow, if i need too
- if i play a damage dealer, i try to bring a little bit chaos into the enemy collecting eu or destroying them and get their EU, this will help the team to launch faster and stop the enemy being able to launch their ship
- and if we have only 150 EU left to deliver, the player has to stop collecting eu and defend the aa and let the player with the most EU already collect deliver the rest instead of slowing him down to fill up themselfs
- or not to start the own ship, if the enemy has the aa or aa+ship flying over us
- and important to, not to start our ship instantly, 20seconds left is a good way to make your way into the aa, before the ship is launching and let the enemy thinking they have time to start their own, but the team on aa will win, not the team starting first and not beeing able to defend the aa to the right time

a big problem ist, some player playing in a clan (like myself) and talking in Teamspeak, but not too the own players in the pub play and the voice function is pretty broken, often it sounds like fuzzy bunny, or the guys hafe really terrible mics, all of them, i dont know. If the players dont talk, or begin to type something, its a big loss.

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, July 06 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#56 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted July 06 2014 - 10:59 PM

View Postnokari, on February 28 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

I am more concerned about people who are just trying out siege and are confused as to how it's played, not people who stubbornly believe they already know what to do and expect their teammates to do the rest of the work for them.

When I first entered a Siege game I had no idea how it was played. There was no obvious tutorial, even written. I remember thinking "Get EU_ Wtf is "EU_""

It was only by following others I got the idea, then realised there are tactics in when to release the battleship, when to flood the AA, etc. There's a decent incentive in the xp gain you get for gathering EU and returning it to base, but I only found that out by following people and looking at some HUD info. Following instructions to "Get EU", "Deliver EU", "AA" isn't understanding how it's played. Now I understand it, I love it.

Posted Image

#57 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 07 2014 - 04:55 AM

I like Siege as everyone swarms to the AA when a battleship launches, only to get killed. :)
Sadly kills don't directly mean wins in Siege.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#58 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted July 07 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on June 05 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

The only problem I see is that most people don't know how to play this game mode. Whenever I enter a siege game that has a high MMR average, the games are relatively balanced. On the contrary, whenever I enter a much lower MMR siege game, things tend to be very imbalanced. That speaks to the fact that it's generally new players that have trouble playing siege, mainly because they don't have much experience with the game mode. The game mode itself is pretty solid, but the majority of players are just simply ignorant (ignorant does not mean stupid, it just means they just don't know better) about how to play it strategically and win.

And I totally forgot that I had posted on this thread before and ended up repeating myself.... Yay.....
I practiced what I preached and I have a Siege Guide up. Click my sig and look under the game mode section.

#59 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted July 07 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostMeraple, on July 07 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

I like Siege as everyone swarms to the AA when a battleship launches, only to get killed. :)
Sadly kills don't directly mean wins in Siege.
You have to kill them strategically.  In places which hinder their ability to win.
Posted Image

#60 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted July 07 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think the most immediate problem with Siege is that it is too easy for players to unintentionally sabotage their own team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users