HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Rocketeer, the anti fun

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 Pixues

Pixues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:45 PM

I agree...Homing missiles was a dumb idea.
I seriously think it needs change badly.

#42 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostVocalMagic, on March 06 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

View PostSuperkamikazee, on March 06 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

Hellfires are slow and easy to dodge, and in cqc the rocketeer is a sitting duck.

CQC Sitting duck_ Perhaps. But then that brings up the question of "Why, in missile Assault, does the entire team try to sneak up on me when I'm playing a turreted rocketeer in Bunker_ I'm not jumping up and hellfiring over everything. I'm just sitting there. And then, why, for a "Sitting duck", can I take out 3 of them with seekers before I'm taken out_"

I'm going to have to say there's something to the Anti-Fun argument. A Long-Range mech with no CQC shouldn't be able to take out 3 of 6 people IN CQC before getting blown up.

I smell so much BS. You are either REALLY REALLY good or they are REALLY REALLY bad or you lie!

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#43 SlipperyJohnson

SlipperyJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 04:25 PM

Anyone can theory-craft how to deal with them in 1on1 situations. It's when they are mixed in a team where things get frustrating, try chasing or attacking anyone while there is a rocketeer with huge line of sight of the map, It never ends well. They are impossible to dodge if you can't see where they are coming from.

Regardless I didn't broach this subject because rocketeers kill me all the time, I can deal with them usually, it's the fact that when they are introduced to the game they take away the aspects of the game I find most fun, they make me feel like I need to sit and hide, that I can't chase anyone down for fear of getting caught in the open. It changes the way I play the game for the worse.

#44 mrvile

mrvile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 06 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Anyone can theory-craft how to deal with them in 1on1 situations. It's when they are mixed in a team where things get frustrating, try chasing or attacking anyone while there is a rocketeer with huge line of sight of the map, It never ends well. They are impossible to dodge if you can't see where they are coming from.

Regardless I didn't broach this subject because rocketeers kill me all the time, I can deal with them usually, it's the fact that when they are introduced to the game they take away the aspects of the game I find most fun, they make me feel like I need to sit and hide, that I can't chase anyone down for fear of getting caught in the open. It changes the way I play the game for the worse.

Different strokes for different folks bro. I personally enjoy relying on cover and thinking about my positioning, enemy positioning, when not to wrecklessly pursue, and finding different approaches to dealing with problems. I haven't had any real issues with Rocketeers, if there are Rocketeers don't go running and flying around in the open. For me, Hawken is a game about smart positioning and situational awareness, and the existence of Rocketeers encourages that.

#45 VocalMagic

VocalMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on March 06 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostVocalMagic, on March 06 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Hellfires are slow and easy to dodge, and in cqc the rocketeer is a sitting duck.

CQC Sitting duck_ Perhaps. But then that brings up the question of "Why, in missile Assault, does the entire team try to sneak up on me when I'm playing a turreted rocketeer in Bunker_ I'm not jumping up and hellfiring over everything. I'm just sitting there. And then, why, for a "Sitting duck", can I take out 3 of them with seekers before I'm taken out_"

I'm going to have to say there's something to the Anti-Fun argument. A Long-Range mech with no CQC shouldn't be able to take out 3 of 6 people IN CQC before getting blown up.

I smell so much BS. You are either REALLY REALLY good or they are REALLY REALLY bad or you lie!

Okay, granted, I can only reliably take out one before they kill me. Two if I'm lucky. And the three out of six was with a rocket turret and a post-death kill by desperation Hellfire, but I was able to do it.
The rocketeer is just the tiniest bit OP.

....Not to mention they didn't try to flank, so I guess they're terrible players who just ball-of-death'd me.

I'll try shouting it again today: "Saturnine! Saturnine! Stop the spam, Saturnine!"

_, ,_ ∩ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
( ゚∀゚)彡 S9!S9!▒▒▒
 ⊂彡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

#46 SlipperyJohnson

SlipperyJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 04:37 AM

View Postmrvile, on March 06 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 06 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Different strokes for different folks bro. I personally enjoy relying on cover and thinking about my positioning, enemy positioning, when not to wrecklessly pursue, and finding different approaches to dealing with problems. I haven't had any real issues with Rocketeers, if there are Rocketeers don't go running and flying around in the open. For me, Hawken is a game about smart positioning and situational awareness, and the existence of Rocketeers encourages that.

This is contradictory, rocketeers don't have to think about your positioning, they don't have to worry about if the enemy hides behind cover or not, they will fire regardless and hope it lands. recklessly pursuing doesn't fall under the category of fighting anywhere that is open.

Yes different approaches to deal with different problems is good, it can add depth and variety to a game, rocketeers however encourage hiding under a rock and praying that the enemy team comes to you, you can't claim it enriches game play when it just takes away fun aspects of the game.

#47 mrvile

mrvile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 04:50 AM

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 07 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

This is contradictory, rocketeers don't have to think about your positioning, they don't have to worry about if the enemy hides behind cover or not, they will fire regardless and hope it lands. recklessly pursuing doesn't fall under the category of fighting anywhere that is open.

Yes different approaches to deal with different problems is good, it can add depth and variety to a game, rocketeers however encourage hiding under a rock and praying that the enemy team comes to you, you can't claim it enriches game play when it just takes away fun aspects of the game.

You clearly haven't played Rocketeer too much...if you aren't thinking about where you're putting yourself or where your enemy is you will get overtaken and once you are swarmed in a Rocketeer, there is almost nothing you can do. Do you see Rocketeers dominating high-tier play because they are blindly throwing missiles left and right_ Rocketeers are easy targets once you've gotten their number and most people in this thread know how to deal with them.

Don't give me that BS about needing to hide from missiles. Come on. There are hitscan snipers and airburst TOWs in this game that do far more damage than the Rocketeer, and you're complaining about rockets forcing you to camp_ Hawken is a game about fighting through cover, learn to use it. Unless you are playing a poorly designed map like Bunker or certain parts of Last Eco, Rocketeers aren't much of a threat unless you find a Rocketeer who knows what they're doing, and then they're just playing the game correctly.

#48 SlipperyJohnson

SlipperyJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:00 AM

View Postmrvile, on March 07 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 07 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

You clearly haven't played Rocketeer too much...if you aren't thinking about where you're putting yourself or where your enemy is you will get overtaken and once you are swarmed in a Rocketeer, there is almost nothing you can do. Do you see Rocketeers dominating high-tier play because they are blindly throwing missiles left and right_ Rocketeers are easy targets once you've gotten their number and most people in this thread know how to deal with them.

Don't give me that BS about needing to hide from missiles. Come on. There are hitscan snipers and airburst TOWs in this game that do far more damage than the Rocketeer, and you're complaining about rockets forcing you to camp_ Hawken is a game about fighting through cover, learn to use it. Unless you are playing a poorly designed map like Bunker or certain parts of Last Eco, Rocketeers aren't much of a threat unless you find a Rocketeer who knows what they're doing, and then they're just playing the game correctly.

Did you read my original post_, I'm not claiming you can't deal with them or that they are OP, they just make the game less fun

#49 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:09 AM

rocketeer is the new scapegoat, seriously_
oh fuzzy bunny his lowest dps weapons can kill someone in open field without cover,
lets just decrease damage and make them completely  useless at all ranges, instead of adjusting the lock on, and making proper maps

Edited by Ker4u, March 07 2014 - 05:12 AM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#50 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:14 AM

View Posthawken00, on March 06 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

If there's only one guy with Hellfires, yes. Add 1 Rocketeer, and here comes the Hellfires spam. Add another one, and it completely ruins the gameplay
xmmm so_and what if you have 2 snipers pointing at you_whats the difference_Concentrated fire does lots of dmg to anyone.even with 3 rocketeers in one team,a skilled opposite team can deal with em,except bunker where rocketeers having party..Rocketeer was and will be one of my most beloved mechs,though i have played few matches after the new ttk with him,i don't believe he is sooo OP,not even close,at the hands of a skilled player all mechs seems OP :P

Edited by Odinous, March 07 2014 - 05:24 AM.

#51 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostKer4u, on March 07 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

rocketeer is the new scapegoat, seriously_
oh fuzzy bunny his lowest dps weapons can kill someone in open field without cover,
lets just decrease damage and make them completely  useless at all ranges, instead of adjusting the lock on, and making proper maps
xaxaxaxax exactly my point,if someone is running without a cover what will a SS do to him_

#52 mrvile

mrvile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:39 AM

If you are having trouble against the Rocketeer because it's forcing you to utilize cover, then the Rocketeer is doing its job. If you can't utilize cover in this game properly, I can't see how you'd do well in Hawken at all.

I'll repeat this: Hawken is a game about mobility and cover. If utilizing cover is considered "un-fun" to you, you're probably playing the wrong game.

#53 Atmos_Dwagon

Atmos_Dwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 07 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Did you read my original post_, I'm not claiming you can't deal with them or that they are OP, they just make the game less fun
"Fun" is arbitrary.
I have fun lobbing volleys of missiles, or trying to find new ways of making Hellfires even more obsolete. (for better or worse)

#54 S4LT

S4LT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 06:22 PM

More like Rocketeer, the free kill.

#55 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostLONEDEADWOLF, on March 06 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

LMAO....ok so did you people forget the Bruiser_   Try going against a full team of that and then come back and say the Rocketeer is anti fun......lol Close quarter combat and long range capabilities...make for a hell day in any game....but still not anti fun..

Thank you. I read the OP and was like.. "Aren't we forgetting a mech here_"

#56 Harutau

Harutau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:46 PM

Iam New to the game and my first mech that i bought was a Rocketeer (just bought him 3 hours or so ago) and i had some games with him, i think he is special because he has two seeking weapons and has a devastating damage output in his sweetspot but man i got screwed up by so many opponents due to Bad possitioning or staying to long in siege mode that i dont think the mech on his own is the problem it is how you react on him:
For example i had a very good score at the end of one match because some people tried to Assault me from a hundret meters away and got screwed up half way because they ran through open ground without thinking!
Then in the next match i got worked 8 Times by a Raider which was flying over my Head and made Swiss Chees out of me!
It is in the end a mental thing: do you get scared and react like a Idiot or do you take the challange and do you try to get me out of my comfortable position! This is what i got out of my Five games with him and i think he is good and i love him not because i own people with him but because he challanges me and my opponents! I have not much experiance with the game or other mechs but i think no mech is uncounterable some are easier for you and some harder but it is you who in the end decides to fail or take the challange like a man/ women should!

#57 Kaiziku

Kaiziku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 07:42 PM

Rocketeers are indeed annoying, but not "anti-fun" imo. The class, along with pretty much any other mech that has a good team with them, will make life very hard for the enemy. It is frustrating when I'm on my Reaper, ducking behind a corner, getting a few shots off, then I hear the lock on sound like fuzzy bunny... dodge around another corner, still get hit, and half my health is gone. That's the A Classes for you, though, lol. What I've found most elpful in taking down C Frames in general is poking. Unless they have a tech, or they're surrounded by b classes, I can just wear them down... eventually. Hellfire, and lock on weapons in general, are probably the most annoying fuzzy bunny in this game, right up there with good Scouts and the annoying ass siren when your enemies have all 3 silos...

#58 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostKomodo_Saurian, on March 06 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Remember when you were feeling threatened by a Rocketeer you were called a good for nothing noob_
lol I remember the times when some peeps told me I wasted hc on rocketeer. Lol. Now I got to start practicing with it again cuz ive been cheating on my fave and first baby ... im so sorry rocketbabe*weeps*

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#59 Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationRussia, Lipetsk

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:46 PM

View PostPixues, on March 06 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

I agree...Homing missiles was a dumb idea.
I seriously think it needs change badly.
Really_ You too as other cancerous-people distracting and unnerving sound warnings when flying missiles Hellfire in you_
I have the right solution: you need to remove the warning sound of flying missiles Hellfire and then you start whining return back_ It seems you have to return back to play Counter Strike.
PS. Cancerous-people never stop whining, with or without reason - the main thing for them whining.

#60 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on March 06 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

God I hate hell fires.

BTW, dodging hellfires is a lot of fun.
I hate you for that btw... :P damn tree hugger

Edited by Bazookagofer, March 24 2014 - 06:54 AM.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users