HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Rocketeer, the anti fun

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 P3ntatonix3d

P3ntatonix3d

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 09:36 AM

View Postmittens800, on March 06 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Rocketeer is fun!

Seekers don't always hit and in CQC they're hard to use.
Same for hellfire.

Of course when you play against noobies... but you could say the same thing about scout or flying zerker.  Or any other mech.

DON'T TOUCH MY ROCKETEER!!!  That and Vanguard are my fav C mechs.  It's such a fun support mech to use.
If you're constantly dominated by HF your team probably sucks :(  Yeah it sucks when that happens, wait for next round.

Plus, if you are getting killed on Bunker from up-fired hellfires when you're in "cover", you're in the wrong cover.  
I wonder what those taller mountains are for, hmmmm...   Or snuggling up to the AA, or whatever.
What_
I used the trial Rocketeer and found its easy to win CQC , either spam the seeker then lock on the hellfire or just repeatedly spam missles near the enemy's feet. Just today I faced a team of 4 Rocketeers in Siege. And I tried to get close, using the predator to stealthily go around alternative routes and appearing above them, then using Assault with Point D Vulcan, and I was fighting them 1v1. NOPE . Still got killed.My verdict is Rocketeer is way too easy to master. I have another issue with the Rate of fire of the Seeker

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Nemesis' are[/font]

SCOUTS

ROCKETEERS

#62 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 11:06 AM

I played against a competent Rocketeer pilot on bunker with level 3 portable radar. I honestly could not think of a way to counter play it. If any of you brilliant people comes up with a way to counter play this, I'm all ears.

#63 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 26 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostClimatic, on March 26 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

I played against a competent Rocketeer pilot on bunker with level 3 portable radar. I honestly could not think of a way to counter play it. If any of you brilliant people comes up with a way to counter play this, I'm all ears.

The problem is Bunker has so little cover the Rocketeer has no problems raining hell on targets, burst damage weapons have the best chances against Hellfire users (Scout/Reaper/Infiltrator, Raider/Sharpshooter, Brawler)
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#64 P3ntatonix3d

P3ntatonix3d

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostMartock, on March 06 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 06 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

The most important part of balance for pvp games in developer discussions is making sure classes aren't anti-fun. This means making sure that a game's play isn't unnecessarily worsened by something that takes away parts of what makes a game fun.

The very nature of the Rocketeer is taking away skill from skillshots, it's the class that makes the other side quit as soon as it's entered the enemy team. you could say it's forgiveable as you could argue it needs to be implemented to counter A-classes, but this point alone isn't just what makes rocketeers anti-fun. It takes away any reward of skilful play and dodging when your playing a C, B or A-class., making it detrimental to both sides and when mixed with a massive base armor it's extremely hard to focus down before your team drop like flies, so the solution of taking it out first so we can play a fun normal game again is out of the question.

Don't get me wrong the Rocketeer is beatable and you can prevent a shot with corner dodging, it's not completely broken, it just fundamentally makes the game a worse place to be once they are picked. You can no longer fight in the open, you can no longer dodge and dying to those rockets that have been shot over an obstacle from somebody out of sight is the most frustrating thing in the game right now.

Can we please come up with a change that prevents rocketeers from making a game result in teams sitting behind obstacles at each end of the map before they quit_

This is a joke right_ The rocketeer is to OP_ Really_ Mayvbe from a distance they are a little dangerous, if you don't kow how and when to dodge. But that right there is the answer. Close the distance, and get in close. Even with lock on, they are useless at close range. Hellfire missiles are fine. Just learn how to play and you will be fine, too.
Well, how about open maps like Last Eco huh_ Plenty of open space

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Nemesis' are[/font]

SCOUTS

ROCKETEERS

#65 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostP3ntatonix3d, on March 27 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

View PostMartock, on March 06 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

This is a joke right_ The rocketeer is to OP_ Really_ Mayvbe from a distance they are a little dangerous, if you don't kow how and when to dodge. But that right there is the answer. Close the distance, and get in close. Even with lock on, they are useless at close range. Hellfire missiles are fine. Just learn how to play and you will be fine, too.
Well, how about open maps like Last Eco huh_ Plenty of open space

Good Hellfire users fly around lots to make even close range have enough room to lock.
You need to be popping in and out of cover to avoid getting slammed.

Edited by Stingz, March 27 2014 - 05:48 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.

#66 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:50 AM

What kills me is the same can be said about Snipers and Reapers.......Heck how about an army or Assaults ...tow spam anyone_...In bunker use the Silos and the hills it plenty of hills and thats not including the AA Pyramid in the Center.....I always find tons of cover...Maybe stop going into the air and think your untouchable or stick with your team , even flank with another to distract the Rocketeer. They use Rocks -You use Reapers or Sharpy heck even Grenadier will do the trick....You can stay behind cover while you lump over them and hit your targets In the meanwhile in the comforts of cover....This is war and war is not Fair suck it up and get out there....

BTW Get some camos and support the game you magets .....lol

DO WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER!!!!!!!
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#67 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted April 29 2014 - 05:31 PM

My main mech is a HEATketeer. I play very offensively, none of this hiding at the back of the pack BS. i dont like seekers. not enough burst.

HEAT Cannon+Hellfires+Detonators=FUNFUNFUN!

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#68 TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted April 29 2014 - 05:42 PM

The best way I've ever found to beat the Rocketeer (or any C-class) is  to engage them from behind first, since they turn slow as fuzzy bunny compared to A or even B classes; just stay behind them so they can't shoot at you and you win.Easy.(unless the C-class is a incinerator :P )

#69 007eleven

007eleven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 06:42 PM

I don't find them OP at all and you know there is this thing called flanking. TRY IT

-007eleven

Posted Image

#70 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostTheFrostnessMonster, on April 29 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

The best way I've ever found to beat the Rocketeer (or any C-class) is  to engage them from behind first, since they turn slow as fuzzy bunny compared to A or even B classes; just stay behind them so they can't shoot at you and you win.Easy.(unless the C-class is a incinerator :P )
Only turn slower if there in T mode, if not then they turn the same speed.

View PostP3ntatonix3d, on March 26 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

View Postmittens800, on March 06 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Rocketeer is fun!

Seekers don't always hit and in CQC they're hard to use.
Same for hellfire.

Of course when you play against noobies... but you could say the same thing about scout or flying zerker.  Or any other mech.

DON'T TOUCH MY ROCKETEER!!!  That and Vanguard are my fav C mechs.  It's such a fun support mech to use.
If you're constantly dominated by HF your team probably sucks :(  Yeah it sucks when that happens, wait for next round.

Plus, if you are getting killed on Bunker from up-fired hellfires when you're in "cover", you're in the wrong cover.  
I wonder what those taller mountains are for, hmmmm...   Or snuggling up to the AA, or whatever.
What_
I used the trial Rocketeer and found its easy to win CQC , either spam the seeker then lock on the hellfire or just repeatedly spam missles near the enemy's feet. Just today I faced a team of 4 Rocketeers in Siege. And I tried to get close, using the predator to stealthily go around alternative routes and appearing above them, then using Assault with Point D Vulcan, and I was fighting them 1v1. NOPE . Still got killed.My verdict is Rocketeer is way too easy to master. I have another issue with the Rate of fire of the Seeker
The people you were facing have no idea how to play it seems. You shouldn't be winning in CQC with rocketeer unless your an absolute genius or facing complete morons. 9/10 times if not more the latter choice.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#71 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:49 PM

I myself hate rocketeer a lot the mid to long range suppression of Rocketeer is just unbeatable on fortified zone by enemies all ready cleaning up those is pain and rocketeer just taunting at you and your team mates keeping them away. I would say that Rocketeer is slightly too good when know how to play (I am not meaning skill) the weaponry just allows too much suppression (and pretty much impossible to have butsecks with that thing because of his allies) I had once a match what ended 5-2 to our team's victory thanks to G2 brutalizing totally the Rocketeer down. (Scout and berserker at our team and enemy team had grenadier, Rocketeer and Technician) Just nerf rocketeer he is just way too good for being suppression. More I would fuzzy bunny take on against 2 damn bruisers as Infiltrator than god damn Rocketeer. (map was that snow map)

#72 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 30 2014 - 12:01 AM

The concept of "suppression" is by nature "anti-fun", so sure, I can certainly agree that Rocketeer is very much "anti-fun" by nature...

That is until the players actually start thinking beyond huddling together behind a wall and play corner poking to Rocketeer's face. The "fun" will very quickly evaporate or be stomped all over unless people learn to think, grow and get out of their comfort zone, regardless of what game it is.

Also, Bunker is a bad map, blame the map, not the mech.

Edited by reVelske, April 30 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#73 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostreVelske, on April 30 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

Also, Bunker is a bad map, blame the map, not the mech.
+ 99999999999999999999999*9999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#74 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 30 2014 - 05:52 AM

Rocketeer is the first mech I got to level 6, and also the first mech I more or less abandoned.  It is not that good post 1800 MMR play.  As other posters mentioned it is seriously week in CQB, and a lot of the weapons are easy to dodge at range.  The bruiser is superior to this mech in most ways.  Smaller hitbox.  More mobile.  Better active ability.  Better CQB weapons.

Don't get me wrong.  The rocketeer is a fun mech to play and suppresses like nothing else, but I only do TDM and in that game mode it is not effective at getting kills.  Yes, I can get them, but for any game I am getting kills on a rocketeer, I could have gotten twice as many playing my reaper, SS or bruiser.

#75 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm going to chime in because I can.

Please don't get me wrong, I hate Rocketeers on a level most people probably can't match. But I also hate Scouts, Infiltrators, and either sniper class. Rocketeers, as much as I dislike them, add a level of balance to gameplay that can't be matched. Just as the Bruiser, the Rocketeer focuses it's abilities on fast moving and annoying class A's, or weakened B's and C's.

It's the worst feeling in the world to be killed by one knowing they didn't do most of the damage, but at the same time I'm a Predator, that's my whole nitch. That's what I do. Rocketeers just go about it a different way. A good Rocketeer, just as a good Predator, is hard to beat.

Please don't think that I'm disowning you, you have every right to hate that stupid fuzzy bunny mech... Freakin fatty... But it is no more over powered than the Scout. Just remember, a good pilot makes a mech, not the other way around.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#76 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 30 2014 - 12:54 PM

Generally when you die to rocketeer, it's because you were standing out in the open for too long. Rocketeers were made for suppression, and they do a damn good job at it. If you're standing in the rocketeer's line of sight, you're asking to get gibbed. Best way to tackle a rocketeer is to catch it by suprise. Never rush head-on into a supression mech's lane of fire; that's just all kinds of stupid. Besides, the rocketeer is only really effective with a team near it. Catching one alone can spell it's death, as it's weapons aren't good for dueling up close. The only weapons it has that are good for dueling like that are the EOC repeater and the Heat Cannon. However, those are not easy to use, at all.

Sure, fighting them can be a hassle and a pain. But the same can potentially be said of every mech in the game.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#77 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 30 2014 - 06:54 PM

Fighting a Rocketeer, it helps to have a Reaper or Sharpshooter to punish it for being in the open.

#78 kasei

kasei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 06:04 PM

When I first started everyone was talking about how horrible Rocketeers were, now people are saying they are "anti-fun". Amazing how things change.

View PostSlipperyJohnson, on March 06 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

You can no longer fight in the open, you can no longer dodge and dying to those rockets that have been shot over an obstacle from somebody out of sight is the most frustrating thing in the game right now.

That's the point... It's my job to keep players in cover. If you're fighting out in the open, then you deserve to get sniped. I rarely ever get hit by Hellfires. Play the Rocketeer or Bruiser more often and you'll quickly learn how they work and how to avoid them.

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on April 30 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

[...]

I mainly play Rocketeer and I agree with everything you wrote. I'm usually toast if a medium / light mech (piloted by a decent player) catches me off guard at close range.

Posted Image

#79 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted May 03 2014 - 08:42 PM

I am so shocked some of you are calling for a nerf and its one of the most unforgiving mechs next to Brawler./...Use cover for gods sake and stop whining like little kids who got there but spanked by mommy.....lol Learn to play and if your in the open a sniper can smack that as easy as a Tow or Hell fires..Grenades anyone_....so use cover or die like the dogs you are.........btw Leave my Dirty Rock Boy a lone.....He needs a Hell fire buff....lol

BTW Kasei, i hate you and your Sig......lol....I really love that very nice.........so jealous...so so so jealous......

Edited by LONEDEADWOLF, May 03 2014 - 08:44 PM.

meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#80 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostLONEDEADWOLF, on May 03 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

I am so shocked some of you are calling for a nerf and its one of the most unforgiving mechs next to Brawler./...Use cover for gods sake and stop whining like little kids who got there but spanked by mommy.....lol Learn to play and if your in the open a sniper can smack that as easy as a Tow or Hell fires..Grenades anyone_....so use cover or die like the dogs you are.........btw Leave my Dirty Rock Boy a lone.....He needs a Hell fire buff....lol

BTW Kasei, i hate you and your Sig......lol....I really love that very nice.........so jealous...so so so jealous......

Dude... How in the hell you are supposed to snipe down a C-class at open who has brains enough to get to cover itself. The Rocketeer is just pocket OP he should have less health than other C-classes able to be sniped down like a fly. Basically you need like 2 or 3 damn Sharpshooters against one Rocketeer. Aerial prowess just allows him to do way too much. AND YOU CALL A ******* Hellfire buff NO! Or do you want to be riddled full of holes and torn apart by Bruiser_

Rocketeer literally ruins all fun and it is becoming even more common than an Assault and you do know how much pain it is to bring C-Classes down because of having a ton of health and if they has skill you are just having point of insanity trying to take them all down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users