HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Buff the predator

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:25 AM

I normally do not say these types of things, but seriously, buff the bloody predator, it sucks. It dies incredibly quickly under concentrated power, is a large target despite being designed for stealth, and just does no damage. The starting weapon is downright useless, doing little to no damage even on a fully charged hit to the face. I decided to see if the mech got any better with the final weapon. It did not. The last weapon is a sticky grenade launcher, just like the secondary, meaning that you have no proper weapon. Its damage is also equally terrible, and even if I hit all of the shots dead on, even a light mech can kill me before I can retaliate. It also takes ages between each shoot, making surprise(the entire point of stealth) useless, because even if you get the jump on him, it takes you so long to recharge the shot that he can turn around, fire his rocket, and blow your brains out.

The predator really needs these things:

A health boost: Its health is not terrible, and would probably be okay if it could actually deal some damage, but atm it dies before it can kill the enemy in almost all cases.

A large damage boost: Its primary weapons deal incredibly little damage. Under many cases, the starting shotgun deals less damage then an automatic even in close range. The final weapon is slightly better, but still deals far to little damage.

New weapons: The whole setup is just stupid. Why would you have two sticky launchers_ you would not. You need a reliable weapon to use between the high damage bursts(which of course, this mech lacks), so that you do not get obliterated between shots. Imagine if the CRT only had rocket launchers. It would seem cool at first, but then you realize that you do not have time to react, and if you miss your shots, you blew your only chance. Give it a proper shotgun, so that it can actually fight.

Edited by Trisdino, March 16 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#2 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:30 AM

Predator has a learning cliff to it due to a lack of information on how it works.
(probably needs a separate tutorial just for it's weapons.)

Breacher charged has travel time since it's a projectile, (uncharged is Flak Cannon with respectable damage).
EOC Predator can be used as a fast reloading TOW, or proxy mine launcher.
Breacher: (Charged/Uncharged) 100/144 | EOC Predator: 55/shot

Predator is not a DPS mech, you need to make heavy use of cover and dodging to survive.
Cloak is more for the heat-vision than active camo, though it can help when an opponent is already distracted.

Edited by Stingz, March 17 2014 - 02:31 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#3 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:31 AM

The Predator is used for a specific purpose. It is not supposed to be used like other B class mechs. It is an ambush vehicle that uses traps to kill with. Also it is for taking out enemy mechs that are low on health or are repairing.

If you re using it for 1 on 1 fighting, then you are using it wrong.

Edited by SandSpider, March 16 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:32 AM

Nah... just that !

Posted Image

#5 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:38 AM

I have tried using it for multiple things. Now, I get that I am not supposed to use it in 1v1 situations. Ingame it is listed as a defense mech. Even then, it does not seem to have even close to enough health to do that. I have also tried ambushing, but every time I do, they can just turn around and shoot me due to how long it takes to fire, even if I use the uncharged shots. And again, having two sticky launchers is just silly.

Thank you for the fast responses though.

#6 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:42 AM

This should tell you everything you need to know about the Predator.

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

By the way, a trap made of ten mines can take out an A class one time, even with full health.

Edited by SandSpider, March 16 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#7 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yes, if you live a huge string of mines, and somebody happens to go into them, then yeah, you can kill them. But again, you just cannot defend yourself. None of the weapons do enough damage to save you if you are spotted, and assisting your teammates is risky, as a stray shot could hit you and knock you out of your cloak, dooming you. Basically, if you are spotted, you are dead, the only thing that can save you being your teammates.

Edited by Trisdino, March 16 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#8 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:00 AM

EOC Predator could do with a projectile speed buff so it isn't so horrible to use in a fight.
That's about it.
After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#9 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:06 AM

Honestly, I guess there could be multiple fixes depending on how they do it.

If they give it more health, it will have more time to react, and deal damage.

If they make it more powerful, it wont need to stay alive for so long, nor fire as many shots.

If they increase the shot speed, the potential damage output will increase, meaning that damage per shot does not really matter, and the enemy can be killed before your health is drained.

Edited by Trisdino, March 16 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#10 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostTrisdino, on March 16 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Honestly, I guess there could be multiple fixes depending on how they do it.

If they give it more health, it will have more time to react, and deal damage.

If they make it more powerful, it wont need to stay alive for so long, nor fire as many shots.

If they increase the shot speed, the potential damage output will increase, meaning that damage per shot does not really matter, and the enemy can be killed before your health is drained.

Extra health won't really help much.

T-32 Bolt is awful this patch and definitely needs a buff, EOC I can't say anything about since I lack experience with it.

Fire rate won't really help since EOC Predator is already hot n' fast, and Breacher is a multi-use Flak/Projectile Slug.

Edited by Stingz, March 16 2014 - 08:18 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#11 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:20 AM

Well, it is not the fire rate I was talking about. What I meant was the time it takes before you can shoot again. All of the weapons are either shotguns or bursts, but the time between said attacks are just to long compared to the damage. If the damage was increased, it would be acceptable, since you could dish out lots of damage in each burst. That said, the ideal scenario would still be to decrease the time between shots, since atm, you have a really slow reaction time. Again, even if you get the jump on them, they have time to turn around or escape before you can shoot again.

#12 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:26 AM

I love the Predator, it's my main mech.  However, it could (though, it's not necessary) do with a buff.  It's okay the way it is, but I'd love it if Predator could do a little more.

@OP, here's some tips:

#13 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:36 AM

This is a very specific mech, made for just one purpose. It's not for everyone. What you are supposed to do with this mech, is try to get behind the enemy and pick off those who are trying to heal. The breacher is used when you have an enemy who is repairing under a shield. A charged shot can penetrate the shield and kill any mech with low health.

Lay traps of ten mines grouped together where you know mechs will pass when they need to repair. Lay mines on jump pads to take out mechs that try to use them. Lay mines down where mechs land after using a jump pad. When you have a C class mech that has just fallen victim of one of your traps, finish it off with a charged breacher shot. The same goes for a B class.

This is how you are supposed to use this mech. You have to be sneaky and wait for your time to strike when they least expect it. That is what this mech was made for. Do anything else and you're not using it right.

Edited by SandSpider, March 16 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#14 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:52 AM

Also, if you didn't know, a charged Breacher does do less damage than a uncharged shot. The uncharged Breacher shot does 144 damage with a full hit, stronger than a full Flak, I think. It does have a pretty fast dropoff, so the charged shot provides the advantage of range and piercing power, as well as a flat 100 damage. The refire rate is also a bit faster with a charged shot.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#15 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:59 AM

Okay, thank you guys, though I do have one problem with this concept. Mine laying is quite impossible. The maps are very large, and even tunnels are so open that placing mines makes little sense. Odds are that an enemy, even in a choke point, will just pass through

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 16 2014 - 09:00 AM

Remember that you can manually detonate them, the range at which the mines will detonate automatically isn't big.  What IS big is the splash radius of 10 mines packed together.

#17 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 16 2014 - 09:10 AM

I try placing mines around corners of frequently traveled avenues, and manually detonate as soon as they turn the corner. I've insta gibbed many A classes, and severely damaged Bs and Cs. Place mines on low ceilings, scatter them around hotspots. Placing them on jump pads works wonders as well.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#18 Aerostatic

Aerostatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:00 AM

Predator is mostly fine in my opinion. Fire rate is the only thing I have a gripe with. Dev's should increase the fire rate of a weapon from the Predator. It's an ambush tactic Mech, so don't expect to get in 1v1 fights with it. Alpha strike, and then bounce.

#19 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, but again, the weapons are just to slow for effective ambushes. If the enemy has time to turn around, charge a shot, and blast your face off, in the time it takes for you to shoot again, then there is a problem.

#20 Trisdino

Trisdino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:17 AM

Wait... is the EOC not supposed to shoot sticky's_

Mine explode after just a few seconds. I hope I am doing something wrong, because if it is actually that bad, I want a refund

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users