HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The AM-SAR: Change, Keep or Delete

Community Forum Review

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: The AM-SAR: Change, Keep or Delete (52 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you, the Hawken community, feel should be done with the AM-SAR_

1. Change the weapon via one of the options discussed bellow. (36 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. Leave the weapon the way it is. (15 votes [28.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.85%

3. Remove the weapon from Hawken, entirely. (1 votes [1.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostRydiak, on May 19 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Pointless. I have a macro on my mouse that already does this without any loss of performance, let alone 20%.

Seriously_ Your answer is "Fuzzybunny you, I've already got mine!"_

No, this is an F2P game, it's important to balance things for most people, and to minimize that kind of third-party hardware/software advantage.

Edited by Terr_, May 20 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#22 Rydiak

Rydiak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 09:02 PM

You misunderstand me.  It infuriates me that a weapon in this game is more effective because of a macro when it shouldn't need a macro in the first place to function.  The AM-SAR as a whole needs to be changed, not only because it compares poorly to the SA-Hawkins, but also because of its semi-auto nature.  Your suggestion would just keep it in the same place where a bloody macro makes it a better version of itself.
Increase AM-SAR time between shots to .4 to .5 seconds, and increase the damage to 40 to 45 damage.  Make it stand apart from the SA-Hawkins.  And make it automatic fire so a mouse macro isn't needed!

#23 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 09:58 PM

Oh, I agree that it shouldn't require gratuitous clicking, I'm just suggesting 80%-auto because it stops most frustration while being less likely to "rock the boat" in terms of existing balance. I'm all in favor of removing the clickfest since it's a bad user interface, it fails to convert player intent into avatar action. It's the same principle as telling people to move their mech forward with QWOP instead of just pressing W.

Side-question about the Slug RIfle: Are alternate-primary guns shared between mechs at all_

#24 Rydiak

Rydiak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:40 PM

Many weapons are shared between mechs.  I know the Slug Rifle is used on the Sharpshooter as well as the Reaper.
Increase AM-SAR time between shots to .4 to .5 seconds, and increase the damage to 40 to 45 damage.  Make it stand apart from the SA-Hawkins.  And make it automatic fire so a mouse macro isn't needed!

#25 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:56 PM

But if I want it on both, do I have to buy it twice, the same way that internals and deployables are per-mech_

Edited by Terr_, May 20 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#26 Rydiak

Rydiak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yes, weapons are bought per mech.

#27 ShockBlast

ShockBlast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted May 27 2014 - 08:06 PM

Increase the spread on rapid (or macro) clicking a bit, and give it the ability to charge up a highly-accurate high-damage shot. Or just make it fire 3-shot bursts while making it a slow(er) full auto weapon.

#28 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted May 28 2014 - 10:28 AM

Just fix the muzzle flash and its good to go.

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#29 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 30 2014 - 10:30 PM

I actually like the muzzle effects, since they give it that much more realism without really affecting your game.

Though having now played a bit with the AM-SAR and the RPR, I really do prefer the SAR. The clicking is irritating, sure, and I wouldn't mind it getting set to some manner of full auto, but it's not a gamebreaker for me.

#30 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 11:24 PM

I like the AM-SAR.
DPS is pretty high, so is accarucy even when spamming, and the muzzle doesn't blind me as much as I thought.
I'd say it's fine as is.
If you can't look through the cloud coming out of it after firing, go get some glasses.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#31 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:30 AM

As a Reaper pilot, I think that the AM-SAR is an excellent learning weapon, letting you figure out if you want to get the RPR or the Slug due to how you use the AM-SAR.

Example: Clicking really stupid fast 'cause your in the combat zone_ Get RPR. Finding you like sniping and hunting at long range_ Slug.

For the SS, however, a sniping axe, well you learn the SA Hawkins, then get the Slug, so naturally the AM-SAR is outside the tastes of an SS pilot.

I vote for keeping the AM-SAR, but deleting it from the Sharpie's arsenal.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#32 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 05:24 PM

Started using my SS again, tried the AM-SAR which I barely used, I like it, seems like a good weapon, but redirecting the mech's exhaust pipe out the gun's barrel seems like such a bad idea

#33 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 06:14 PM

Just fix the control-scheme so that you can hold for repeated fire.

The same way I can press "W" to go forward rather than play some game of mechahydraulic QWOP.

#34 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 06:09 AM

I agree with skrill, get rid of the smoke when firing then it is a total viable and even prefered weapon for the reaper. The fact that it's a sustain weapon, it means the smoke will constantly be there when firing. Zooming in just making the muzzle flash cover that much more of the screen.

#35 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted June 11 2014 - 09:19 AM

^ Exactly its bad when not zoomed in. While zoomed in, it essentially turns your screen into a strobe light. Aesthetics should not have an effect skill based gameplay particularly when no other gun in the game does this..

Edited by Skrill, June 16 2014 - 08:47 AM.

Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#36 AnotherWastedLife

AnotherWastedLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 01:29 PM

As a reaper pilot, the AM-SAR is my favourite weapon and having to click for all my shots does not hinder my accuracy at all.

With this weapon, I am confident while fighting at any range and I don't feel that the loss of range from the Hawkins or the loss of DPS from the slug are good enough to warrant specializing in either field.  We could say that the AM-SAR offers the most utility and is in no way underwhelming.

I must be speshul though, because I have never felt annoyed by the AM-SAR's semi-automatic nature.
I have also never been the kind of player who shoots 50 bullets hoping that 15 of those will hit the target.

#37 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 20 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostAnotherWastedLife, on June 19 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

As a reaper pilot, the AM-SAR is my favourite weapon and having to click for all my shots does not hinder my accuracy at all.

With this weapon, I am confident while fighting at any range and I don't feel that the loss of range from the Hawkins or the loss of DPS from the slug are good enough to warrant specializing in either field.  We could say that the AM-SAR offers the most utility and is in no way underwhelming.

I must be speshul though, because I have never felt annoyed by the AM-SAR's semi-automatic nature.
I have also never been the kind of player who shoots 50 bullets hoping that 15 of those will hit the target.
No, I agree, the gun itself isn't bad. Just most people find the contant clicking annoying. I agree that it's a solid gun, but I do wish it was less annoying (for most people) to use. But the main reason why I think it could be changed a bit is because of how the weapon is on the Sharpshooter, not the Reaper. All three weapons for the reaper offer different options in play style that are unique enough to themselves. However, on the Sharpshooter, the SA Hawkins and the AM-SAR feel almost exactly the same, with the AM-SAR slightly more annoying to use. I just feel like it needs something a bit more to separate it from the playstyle of the SA Hawkins on the Sharpshooter, without affecting its effectiveness and role on the Reaper mech.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#38 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 30 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

I like the AM-SAR.
DPS is pretty high, so is accarucy even when spamming, and the muzzle doesn't blind me as much as I thought.
I'd say it's fine as is.
If you can't look through the cloud coming out of it after firing, go get some glasses.

what puzzle me with reaper is that it's like only the RPR has good synergy with its special ability. So either a changes in reaper weapons or a change to its ability are welcome.
Posted Image

#39 007eleven

007eleven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 05:06 PM

The AM-SAR is a sexylisious gun, dont try to take it from me.

-007eleven

Posted Image

#40 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 06:15 PM

When I saw this thread, I thought "yeah, scrap that weapon".
But once you mentioned the 3-round burst, that sounds alot better.

I vote for the 3-round burst idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Forum, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users